Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-29-2021, 12:26 PM   #4201
molson
General Manager

Now that Francis Ngannou has taken his rightful place and scariest fighter in the world, there's an interesting financial scenario playing out. Jones/Ngannou is probably the biggest money fight the UFC has now. But because of their deal with ESPN, they get the same money per PPV regardless of how many buys it generates. They make more of a gate for a bigger fight, and they should be back to full Vegas shows in a few months in time for Ngannou's next fight, but, the range on that isn't as big as the range between different buyrates. So for the UFC, it actually makes sense to do Ngannou/Derrick Lewis next, because that will cost them a lot less money, and they'll make just about the same amount from either fight.

I kind of want to see Ngannou kill a few people first before we get Ngannou/Jones. I know long-term booking doesn't work in in MMA, something will go wrong. But I'm kind of bored of super-fights. There's so many weight divisions now, I don't know why it's so terrible to maybe have some dominant champions who just run through people for a while. But it seems like after 1 or 2 title defense, or in Ngannou's case, before he even gets to that, there's an impatience and a sentiment of "he's cleared out the division!", and people start talking fights involving other weight classes, etc.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 02:59 PM   #4202
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Now that Francis Ngannou has taken his rightful place and scariest fighter in the world, there's an interesting financial scenario playing out. Jones/Ngannou is probably the biggest money fight the UFC has now. But because of their deal with ESPN, they get the same money per PPV regardless of how many buys it generates. They make more of a gate for a bigger fight, and they should be back to full Vegas shows in a few months in time for Ngannou's next fight, but, the range on that isn't as big as the range between different buyrates. So for the UFC, it actually makes sense to do Ngannou/Derrick Lewis next, because that will cost them a lot less money, and they'll make just about the same amount from either fight.

I kind of want to see Ngannou kill a few people first before we get Ngannou/Jones. I know long-term booking doesn't work in in MMA, something will go wrong. But I'm kind of bored of super-fights. There's so many weight divisions now, I don't know why it's so terrible to maybe have some dominant champions who just run through people for a while. But it seems like after 1 or 2 title defense, or in Ngannou's case, before he even gets to that, there's an impatience and a sentiment of "he's cleared out the division!", and people start talking fights involving other weight classes, etc.

Very well said, this is the exact same sentiment that was nagging me before Adesanya stepped up and was strengthened by how bad that card was and how he clearly wasn't a light heavy.

And yeah I know he "earned it" and had run through his division already, and it wasn't the scenario you were actually describing, but in general I'm on board with less super fights and people jumping around weight classes and going back to what IMO made the UFC great 10 or so years ago, which was an organization that genuinely gave the best fighters a shot at winning a title. Not guys jumping 4 or 5 in line because they are a big name or fancy a shot at a different weight class and the UFC can make a ton of money off it.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 03:03 PM   #4203
molson
General Manager

I know the idea was that Adesanya could go back to middleweight like nothing happened, but I think that fight hurt his mystique. There's a big difference between 20-0 and 20-1. And now we'll probably go a year between middleweight title fights.

Edit: And even if won, the scenario still kind of sucks. His plan was to go back to Middleweight. Then Blackowicz fights Glover Teixeira in the most depressing LHW title fight in history.

Last edited by molson : 03-29-2021 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:15 PM   #4204
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, that's the other thing about those cross division fights is that two divisions get held up. I know in this situation both divisions the guys at the top are veterans and have had some shots already, but still. Somebody can tear an ACL and never get another shot because of a fight that in retrospect shouldn't have been scheduled (and honestly Israel didn't take seriously enough).

I know these fights have worked in the past, but it has to be the right guy and situation. The exception rather than the rule, and it seems like the UFC is starting to look in the other direction.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 03:32 PM   #4205
molson
General Manager

The two top heavyweight challengers and their varying approaches to contract negotiations, and perhaps, to life as well.

Last edited by molson : 03-31-2021 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:48 PM   #4206
BYU 14
Coordinator

Derrick Lewis is one of my favorite fighters, 100% genuine dude
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:56 PM   #4207
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

All for Lewis getting his shot, don't know if Jones is worth it for UFC. All he has been is drama for quite awhile and it just gets worse if he wins.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:06 PM   #4208
molson
General Manager

And Lewis already has beaten Ngannou - though in one of the worst fights in UFC history. Ngannou clearly respected Lewis' power. It would be fascinating to see his approach a second time around.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:24 PM   #4209
PilotMan
Head Coach

Solid debut for Bellator on Showtime tonight.

Patricio Pitbull is like the only guy who has been on the roster since Bellator started, which is an incredible feat. He's developed into a two division champion.

Also, that was one of the absolute worst refereeing jobs in the main I've ever seen. When you can't tell that the guy is out cold AND the other fighter is telling you he's out, AND you still don't believe it, AND you shake the other dude's arm to see if he's out NOT ONCE, but TWICE, before you finally call it. You might want to move on and try a different career. Dude was out like 15-20 seconds.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:57 AM   #4210
Edward64
Head Coach

Somewhat related.

Talk shit, get hit.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:31 PM   #4211
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I'm surprised no one is talking about the guy who kept fighting AFTER ONE OF HIS FINGERS GOT RIPPED OFF.

hxxps://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/31180731/khetag-pliev-suffers-severed-finger-match-undergoes-emergency-surgery
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:32 PM   #4212
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

"Damn!"

- Ronnie Lott
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:36 PM   #4213
molson
General Manager

My favorite part was how the fans in attendance were asked to look around for the severed finger, as it may have flown in the crowd.

(But it was eventually found in his glove).

Edit: CM Punk and the other announcer trying to make sense of it in the aftermath. Basically, the other fighter was illegally going inside his opponents glove and manipulating his fingers, bending them back and forth. Because this is MMA, that somehow means that the cheating fighter wins.

MMA fighter’s finger falls off mid fight - YouTube

Last edited by molson : 04-03-2021 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:33 PM   #4214
BYU 14
Coordinator

My buddy Al and I interviewed former WIBA World Champ Keisher McLeod this morning, give it a listen if you have an hour to kill. She was a great guest and offered some good insight into women's boxing and other things going on in her life.

Chat with Al and Friends - Keisher Fire McLeod Boxer Actress and Model - YouTube
Old 04-17-2021, 12:26 PM   #4215
BYU 14
Coordinator

Is anyone watching Ben Askren vs Jake Paul? I plan to only because I can watch it free, and I really want to see Paul get his ass handed to him. Askren, who was not good as a striker in MMA seems like a safe choice, but Paul has yet to be hit by a fighter. It is for sure a trainwreck type fight card, and Paul can get respect as a boxer, when he fights a real boxer, but what the hell.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:44 PM   #4216
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I'd most like to see Askren immediately fuck the rules, throw off his gloves, shoot on Paul and smother him to sleep. What's the risk, getting banned from the youtube boxing league?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:51 PM   #4217
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I'd most like to see Askren immediately fuck the rules, throw off his gloves, shoot on Paul and smother him to sleep. What's the risk, getting banned from the youtube boxing league?

That would be sweet and apparently it is in the forefront of someone's mind, because there is a clause in the contract that states Askren forfeits his purse if he uses MMA tactics.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:00 PM   #4218
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
That would be sweet and apparently it is in the forefront of someone's mind, because there is a clause in the contract that states Askren forfeits his purse if he uses MMA tactics.

That's a shame. I imagine that one of these days one of the competitors in these celebrity circus fights is going to figure that an immediate kick to their opponent's nuts is more entertaining/endearing than three rounds of amateurs boxing & worth the loss of the purse.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:05 PM   #4219
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
That's a shame. I imagine that one of these days one of the competitors in these celebrity circus fights is going to figure that an immediate kick to their opponent's nuts is more entertaining/endearing than three rounds of amateurs boxing & worth the loss of the purse.

Or we can just wait for him to pick a Diaz brother and enjoy his dismantling.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:29 PM   #4220
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I would definitely watch that! There still seems to be a lot of space between the repeated hype about Paul maybe-possibly having some real passion for boxing and the very careful selection of opponents that have absolutely no passion for boxing.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:32 PM   #4221
molson
General Manager

Paul is a -175 favorite.

Quite a statement of the perception of Askren's boxing ineptness and Paul taking this seriously for several years now. And maybe teenage girls learning how to gamble.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:25 PM   #4222
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Is anyone watching Ben Askren vs Jake Paul? I plan to only because I can watch it free, and I really want to see Paul get his ass handed to him. Askren, who was not good as a striker in MMA seems like a safe choice, but Paul has yet to be hit by a fighter. It is for sure a trainwreck type fight card, and Paul can get respect as a boxer, when he fights a real boxer, but what the hell.

I seriously question the decision of Freddie Roach to get involved in this entire thing. Askren is not the person I'd have hitched my reputation to.

Like Steam?

Old 04-17-2021, 05:14 PM   #4223
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I seriously question the decision of Freddie Roach to get involved in this entire thing. Askren is not the person I'd have hitched my reputation to.

No, he may be the weakest high level MMA striker ever, though his last workout looked serviceable, still, I dread him getting caught early which just makes boxing look like a clown show once again. Especially when there is as much young talent in the as there has been in many years.

I only hope Askren gets him into the 4th, 5th rounds, gasses him out and makes him quit. The one thing that gives me hope there is Paul will come in super amped, which in term will make him tight and increase how fast he fatigues. Boxing is not a sport fought with emotion, if you can't relax you can't survive 8 rounds with someone pressing you that at least knows what a real high level fight is like.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:15 PM   #4224
molson
General Manager

If there were long odds for a draw, I think I'd bet that.

I could see it just being boring and awful and ending in a pointless draw. I see a lot of people liking Paul by decision at 6-1 odds for kind of the same reason. He may pace himself and just look smoother than Askren which might steal him few early rounds before he gets tired.

And I know Askren has never had an impressive physique, but...

https://www.sportbible.com/cdn-cgi/i...d5d7b337c1.png

Last edited by molson : 04-17-2021 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:18 PM   #4225
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

And I know Askren has never had an impressive physique, but...

https://www.sportbible.com/cdn-cgi/i...d5d7b337c1.png

On Reddit I saw this photo captioned as "when you're next on the waterslide".
Old 04-17-2021, 08:16 PM   #4226
PilotMan
Head Coach

I wonder if Askren has fixed his tendency to lift his chin when he throws punches?

Probably not.

Like Steam?

Old 04-17-2021, 11:51 PM   #4227
BYU 14
Coordinator

Well fuck, Paul 1st round KO...

Credit, he actually looked like a boxer, Askren looked like a wrestler trying to box, chin high, no head movement.

But now, fight a fucking boxer and quit this bum of the month club shit
Old 04-18-2021, 12:19 AM   #4228
molson
General Manager

One of those fights where 30 seconds into it it seems like the outcome should have been obvious in retrospect.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:26 AM   #4229
BYU 14
Coordinator

Pretty much
Old 04-18-2021, 01:43 AM   #4230
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I didn't bother to watch, but doesn't sound like I missed much.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:49 AM   #4231
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

You didn't and even the one legit Boxing match was sketchy. I watched for free and felt ripped off LOL
Old 04-18-2021, 01:50 AM   #4232
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
You didn't and even the one legit Boxing match was sketchy. I watched for free and felt ripped off LOL

Old 04-18-2021, 04:47 AM   #4233
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You missed Ric Flair refereeing a slap fight.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:06 AM   #4234
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You missed Ric Flair refereeing a slap fight.

OK, that actually sounds like something I would enjoy.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:14 AM   #4235
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
OK, that actually sounds like something I would enjoy.

Twitter was pretty .. amused, bemused, entertained, agog, aghast... all at the same time lol
Old 04-19-2021, 08:45 AM   #4236
BYU 14
Coordinator

Dola hasn't been the same since they left this board.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:55 AM   #4237
PilotMan
Head Coach

Anyone else think Masvidal finally gets his clock cleaned tonight?

Like Steam?

Old 04-24-2021, 11:12 AM   #4238
BYU 14
Coordinator

I think it might be another snoozefest, as i am not sure Usman wants to stand with him for 5 rounds. He made it work against Covington because Covington is a volume striker. Masvidal is much more technical and I see Usman testing the waters, but ultimately playing a lot of clinch game.

I think the best fight on the card is Weili vs The Rose, should be a war.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:44 PM   #4239
thesloppy
Pro Starter

One-armed choke! The earlies & prelims have been good tonight, the crowd probably makes a difference. Hopefully it carries over to the main card.
Old 04-24-2021, 09:34 PM   #4240
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
total dead leg for the Aussie. No way he could continue
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:48 PM   #4241
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Old 04-24-2021, 09:48 PM   #4242
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
DAMN

that shin just broke in half
Old 04-24-2021, 09:49 PM   #4243
thesloppy
Pro Starter

This card has been Thunderdome
Old 04-24-2021, 10:44 PM   #4244
cartman
Death Herald

THUG ROSE
Old 04-24-2021, 10:49 PM   #4245
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Old 04-24-2021, 11:18 PM   #4246
cartman
Death Herald

Usman is a beast
Old 04-24-2021, 11:20 PM   #4247
thesloppy
Pro Starter

That was a fun card.
Old 04-24-2021, 11:20 PM   #4248
cartman
Death Herald

Yeah, a great night of fights
Old 04-24-2021, 11:37 PM   #4249
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Needed more "Fuck Jake Paul."

The leg melting was horrific. Lordy. Good news is, they said surgery tomorrow, not emergency right now surgery, so hopefully he comes back.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 01:58 AM   #4250
BYU 14
Coordinator

that was a fun card, outside of Weidman's leg injury and Usman proved me wrong by standing most of the time. He is an impressive fighter and I can't wait for him to break Covington's jaw again.