Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-24-2023, 01:14 PM   #4251
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I found a series of The Full Monty (THe movie from 1998) on hulu. The entire cast returned for their roles. It's not a reboot it's a sequel series of them all these years later.

All 6 of the guys are in it plus Dave's wife too!

It's so amazing.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 09:48 PM   #4252
Edward64
Head Coach

Wife and I just finished Witcher s2.3 (in anticipation of s3 on Jun 29).

I do find myself reading reviews after each episode to get a better understanding or catch things I may have missed. And there's been lots.

Something I didn't quite appreciate the first time around was how great the monsters look!
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 10:57 AM   #4253
molson
General Manager

Cunk on Earth on Netflix makes me laugh out loud more than anything I can remember.

Sometimes something just clicks with you.

Last edited by molson : 06-28-2023 at 11:01 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 11:04 AM   #4254
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Roman invented or improved
Old 06-28-2023, 11:21 AM   #4255
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Roman invented or improved

"Anal Bleaching"

"I don't know"

"You have to pick one"

"Pass"

"You can't pass"
Old 06-29-2023, 10:58 PM   #4256
Edward64
Head Coach

Binged watched The Witcher s3. Currently only 5 episodes released.

IMO s2 was better and (other than for the stupid timeline back-and-forth with no help with dates) s1 was also better.

But overall - very enjoyable, well made, good story lines, fantastic fight scenes, and fantastic monsters! I like how they are developing Ciri. The Elven arc is still a little slow going but okay. Going to miss Cavill, I think he's perfectly cast.

(... and thank God they didn't go with the writers, show runners, director & special effects from the disasterous prequel with Michelle Yeoh)
Old 07-01-2023, 07:00 AM   #4257
Edward64
Head Coach

Silo s1 ended with a strong episode. It finished before the actual book did (which revealed more). I decided to refresh my memory on wiki (and also on books 2 & 3).

Really a strong first season. There were a couple middling episodes that I thought dragged on but nothing too disappointing.

Strange New Worlds s2.3 was a time travel episode. I typically hate those but this one was okay. It lacked plausibility on how things came together but it did some further character development (2 of them) which I enjoyed. They need to get back to s2.1 formula now.
Old 07-02-2023, 09:52 PM   #4258
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Shrinking on Apple TV is so much better than it has any right to be. I legit didn't know Harrison Ford was actually a very good actor.

About halfway thought and I am really enjoying it. The right blend of comedy and serious subjects.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 09:46 AM   #4259
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched the first 2 episodes of Idris Elba's "Hijack" on Apple. Enjoying it and like the premise of a ME "kingdom" plane being hijacked on the way to London.

Idris is a business negotiator and he's playing careful & methodical 3D chess with the hijackers. Fun to see it play out (even though I don't buy it).

The one thing I really appreciate is the authentic passenger cabins/seating. I hate how we see extra "wide/space" aisles & rows in movies. The one thing I hate is all the hijackers have their finger literally on the trigger, all the time. Highly unrealistic IMO

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-03-2023 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-03-2023, 10:19 PM   #4260
Edward64
Head Coach

Considering how many series are not renewed and abruptly ends, I think all these frakkers should have some halfway decent conclusion at each season finale.
Old 07-17-2023, 07:13 AM   #4261
Edward64
Head Coach

I tried watching Netflix's Gloria but couldn't get through ep1.

Quote:
Spies, lies and secrets flourish in Glória do Ribatejo, 1968, as a privileged Radio Free Europe engineer plays all the angles of Cold War Portugal.

Way too much smoking. I get adding some smoking for realism in the period, and the amount shown is probably accurate, but it made me feel a little nauseous.

I know at one time smoking in movies were discouraged. Not sure when it started back up again but I've noticed an uptick in the US shows.
Old 07-17-2023, 11:46 AM   #4262
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I take it you never watched Mad Men...
Old 07-17-2023, 12:01 PM   #4263
Edward64
Head Coach

I did but don't remember it being as bad as Gloria. Check it out when you get a chance, the first 30-40 min is all I could stomach.
Old 07-17-2023, 12:38 PM   #4264
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

wow. I felt like I would die from ither lung cancer or cirrhosis of the liver from watching that show.
Old 07-17-2023, 02:22 PM   #4265
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I take it you never watched Mad Men...

Nothing will top Peaky Blinders.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 08:02 AM   #4266
Edward64
Head Coach

Started re-watching The Expanse. Currently on episode 2.5.

I much better understand what's going on now and appreciate noticing some stuff I missed the first time around. My biggest beef so far is its darker, less lighting than it should be, especially in those ship-to-ship battles. I read somewhere that movies do this to cut down on special effects costs.

The series ends on Book 6 and have gotten Kindle Book 7 for my next plane trip. I've always struggled re-watching BSG because I found the "lore" very confusing (even after reading up on it). The Expanse is much more straight forward.
Old 07-25-2023, 01:40 PM   #4267
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Just watched "Creed 3" on Amazon Prime. Not bad, but not up to par with the first two, IMO.

One of the most bizarre things about the Creed trilogy is that Apollo and Mary Anne Creed's two biological children are barely mentioned, and they don't even attend Mary Anne's funeral. The writers definitely left a big hole in the storyline.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 08:50 PM   #4268
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I found the new episode of Futurama most amusing.
Old 07-27-2023, 10:49 PM   #4269
Edward64
Head Coach

Finished The Expanse s6. It only had 6 episodes so felt a little rushed vs the other seasons with 10-12. But considering everyone knew Amazon funding was drying up, they still did a great job with concluding the series.

There were some plot lines left open but in reading s6 reviews, basically have to start reading Book 7 which is 30 years later.

If you're a sci-fi fan and you haven't watched this yet, do it.
Old 07-27-2023, 11:53 PM   #4270
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yes, The Expanse is absolutely the best scifi series in recent memory. If you're a fan of the genre, it must be watched,
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 12:49 AM   #4271
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I have been obsessed with Painting With John recently. I think it's on max/hbo. It's pleasantly weird, but not modern over-the top intentionally weird, like 80s late night cable/Night Flight kind of weird. Very mild and absurd, the intimate weirdness of one creative person (John Lurie) given all too much rope in their own space, rather than calculated comedy from some production machine. Having said that, it's the kind of thing that is so mild that giving it any praise feels like it might ruin it from even the slightest expectations.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-28-2023 at 12:53 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 12:51 AM   #4272
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

They Cloned Tyrone

First movie I've watched (aside from random old stuff on YouTube) in I literally don't remember when, based on a very strong recommendation from an old friend.

I have to admit I didn't find it as funny as he did, at least not in terms of quantity. The jokes that did hit were at times quite good -- and there weren't any that notably missed that I recall -- but I was actually more impressed by some of the camera angle & lighting choices than anything else.

I thought it hit its vibe well, mixing genres successfully. I'm not ready to hand out any awards or anything but perfectly fine piece of work. And I'll admit that the identity of "The Reverend" was completely lost on me until looking at the cast after the fact, I absolutely didn't spot who it was.
Old 07-28-2023, 01:32 AM   #4273
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I watched The Out-Laws so you don’t have to. It’s complete trash with a Joey Gallo contact rate on the jokes. I don’t really hate any of the main actors but it was a shit movie made on a low budget.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 03:23 PM   #4274
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
but I was actually more impressed by some of the camera angle & lighting choices than anything else.

I thought this exact thing. Movie was fine but whoever was doing the camerawork needs to be doing some bigger stuff.
Old 07-28-2023, 03:24 PM   #4275
RainMaker
General Manager

Has anyone watched the American Gladiators docuseries? Seemed interesting as I was a big fan as a kid, but was surprised it's 5 parts. Hoping it's not one of those Netflix docs that is a few episodes too many.
Old 07-28-2023, 07:08 PM   #4276
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Has anyone watched the American Gladiators docuseries? Seemed interesting as I was a big fan as a kid, but was surprised it's 5 parts. Hoping it's not one of those Netflix docs that is a few episodes too many.

I am watching it now, but I also recommend you watch the ESPN two parter, told mostly through the eyes of the 'creator' of the show before watching this one.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 09:34 PM   #4277
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Binged watched The Witcher s3. Currently only 5 episodes released.

IMO s2 was better and (other than for the stupid timeline back-and-forth with no help with dates) s1 was also better.

But overall - very enjoyable, well made, good story lines, fantastic fight scenes, and fantastic monsters! I like how they are developing Ciri. The Elven arc is still a little slow going but okay. Going to miss Cavill, I think he's perfectly cast.

(... and thank God they didn't go with the writers, show runners, director & special effects from the disasterous prequel with Michelle Yeoh)

Finished watching Witcher s3 part II.

Ep 6 was fairly decent. Ep 7 & 8 were below par. It wasn't bad acting, it was IMO bad writing. I really hope, when we look back, that part II wasn't the "Jumping the Shark".

Here's to a great s4 with Liam Helmsworth.
Old 08-01-2023, 06:35 PM   #4278
Edward64
Head Coach

I think the author is too optimistic but it'll be great if it came out late 2023.

The Fallout TV show casting details and news | PC Gamer
Quote:
When is the Fallout TV series going to air?

The Fallout TV series is currently in production. Filming began on July 5, 2022, though there hasn't been a teaser or trailer or any sort of footage released yet. There's a lot involved in the production process, and how long it takes can vary quite a bit from shows. As a point of comparison, Season 2 of Netflix's The Witcher series went into pre-production in January 2020 and aired in December of 2021, but was heavily affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Most television has a pace of one season/series per year.

I'd be willing to bet the Fallout TV series will start airing by the end of 2023, barring any major, unexpected hold-ups like a global thermonuclear war.

Old 08-02-2023, 08:47 PM   #4279
RainMaker
General Manager

Anyone tried Twisted Metal yet? Saw some clips that made it look kind of fun.
Old 08-02-2023, 10:20 PM   #4280
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Finished watching Witcher s3 part II.

Ep 6 was fairly decent. Ep 7 & 8 were below par. It wasn't bad acting, it was IMO bad writing. I really hope, when we look back, that part II wasn't the "Jumping the Shark".

Here's to a great s4 with Liam Helmsworth.

Is It confirmed that Hemsworth will be Gerat?. I’ll tune in, but that’s going to be a rough transition. Would’ve like to have seen Henry have a bigger send off.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 10:41 PM   #4281
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Is It confirmed that Hemsworth will be Gerat?. I’ll tune in, but that’s going to be a rough transition. Would’ve like to have seen Henry have a bigger send off.

Yes, its confirmed.

Quote:
While The Witcher Season 3 hasn’t debuted yet, it has already been renewed for a fourth season — but there’s a change coming. In Season 4, Liam Hemsworth will step in as the titular monster-hunter Geralt of Rivia, the role Henry Cavill originated in the first three seasons. The two actors shared the exciting news on social media Saturday afternoon.

“My journey as Geralt of Rivia has been filled with both monsters and adventures, and alas, I will be laying down my medallion and my swords for Season 4,” said Cavill in a statement. “In my stead, the fantastic Mr. Liam Hemsworth will be taking up the mantle of the White Wolf. As with the greatest of literary characters, I pass the torch with reverence for the time spent embodying Geralt and enthusiasm to see Liam's take on this most fascinating and nuanced of men. Liam, good sir, this character has such a wonderful depth to him, enjoy diving in and seeing what you can find.”
Old 08-07-2023, 08:47 AM   #4282
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Not sure why it took me so long, but I finally watched the four part 30 for 30 on Oscar Pistorius. My mind was very hazy on the details of that whole saga even though it was barely 10 years ago. Worth a watch, even if it drags on at times. That dude was a character.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 08:57 AM   #4283
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I should watch that. The only thing I can remember recently is Jim Jeffries stand-up bit about that whole thing.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 09:24 PM   #4284
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Reservation Dogs is so damned good.
Old 08-12-2023, 10:23 PM   #4285
Edward64
Head Coach

No idea how long the writer's strike will be but assume it'll be a while before new stuff is written for movies, streaming etc.

Last time this happened, didn't we get a lot of reality shows?

Pretty sure Netflix will increase foreign stuff. I'm okay with it, but they really need to tone down their Korean shows (except for their zombie stuff) and give others more shelf space.

I'm thinking 2024 will suck for new stuff.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-12-2023 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-13-2023, 01:17 AM   #4286
Suicane75
Coordinator

Enjoying the hell out of I Think You Should Leave on Netflix. Absurdist, repetitive comedy usually grates on me so I don't know why I love this so much but I find myself belly laughing even when I'm in a bad mood.

Was very intrigued by From on MGM, but I tapped out early in season 2. It's an idea that feels better suited to mini series or limited run show. I just felt like it was never gonna really get anywhere and was being drawn out to an exasperating degree.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 07:22 AM   #4287
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Reservation Dogs is so damned good.

Agreed 100%. It has been my favorite series the last three years. Consistently funny and deeply emotion.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 08:16 AM   #4288
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
No idea how long the writer's strike will be but assume it'll be a while before new stuff is written for movies, streaming etc.

Last time this happened, didn't we get a lot of reality shows?

Pretty sure Netflix will increase foreign stuff. I'm okay with it, but they really need to tone down their Korean shows (except for their zombie stuff) and give others more shelf space.

I'm thinking 2024 will suck for new stuff.
I was just saying to my wife yesterday that I am surprised they are still filming around here. Not as much, and I know from some of my customers in the industry that they are prepping for a long shutdown. There are still some productions going somehow. They also are continuing to expand one of the bigger studios here, doubling the size yet again. It might be reality TV. Netflix does much of their production here and it wouldn't surprise me if they start some reality shooting locally.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 08:55 AM   #4289
Edward64
Head Coach

If you don't mind me asking (for my daughter really), who are your customers and who is "one of the bigger studios"?
Old 08-13-2023, 09:01 AM   #4290
Ksyrup

One of my good friends owns a card and memorabilia shop in GA and he says the shutdown has hurt his business, believe it or not. He said pretty everyone makes good money and he gets a ton of repeat business and big spenders from the studios.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-13-2023, 04:55 PM   #4291
GrantDawg

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking (for my daughter really), who are your customers and who is "one of the bigger studios"?
No actors if that is what she is asking. Set makers, production staff, etc. There are lots of blue collar workers that have moved to movie production around here. Cinelease Studios is the big one I was talking about, and then Three Horse is the one that has been around since the "Heat of the Night" days. I think much of "Vampire Diaries" was done there. Cinelease is more recent. It was the home for "First Lady", and I believe "Steel Magnolias" is produced there. Cinelease also has a big studio next town over where "The Resident" and "Doom Patrol" is filmed. They also filmed "Hat and Catch Fire" there.
Old 08-13-2023, 05:11 PM   #4292
Ksyrup

I think Trilith is a biggie on the south side of Atlanta. My buddy's shop is in PTC and I'm pretty sure that studio is in Fayette County as well.
Old 08-13-2023, 05:22 PM   #4293
GrantDawg

That's in Senoia, right at the edge of Fayetteville. It is where "Walking Dead" and all the Marvel shows are filmed. They literally have their own Home Depot on the lot.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2023, 05:45 PM   #4294
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Enjoying the hell out of I Think You Should Leave on Netflix. Absurdist, repetitive comedy usually grates on me so I don't know why I love this so much but I find myself belly laughing even when I'm in a bad mood.

Was very intrigued by From on MGM, but I tapped out early in season 2. It's an idea that feels better suited to mini series or limited run show. I just felt like it was never gonna really get anywhere and was being drawn out to an exasperating degree.

If you like ITYSL, then check out Detroiters on Paramount+. I love it.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 12:36 AM   #4295
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
If you like ITYSL, then check out Detroiters on Paramount+. I love it.

It is on the list.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 08:25 PM   #4296
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Agreed 100%. It has been my favorite series the last three years. Consistently funny and deeply emotion.

The hunting episode in season 1 is one of the best things I've seen on TV.
Old 08-16-2023, 12:49 AM   #4297
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Nobody spoiler me or anything 'cause we've got a couple episodes left before the kid heads back to Miami but ... daaaaaamn S4 of Fauda has been a rough one.

I've got a good idea where the season ends & that's tough enough but getting there has been harsh.

I'm mostly talking about the story & the drama and such but also there's moments where I feel like more suspension of disbelief has been required than in past seasons.
Old 08-16-2023, 01:53 AM   #4298
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Season completed.

Fuck me.

edit to add: I think I came up with the phrase to describe my feelings big picture: the shark hasn't been jumped or anything but it might now be in the water somewhere

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-16-2023 at 02:22 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 08:34 PM   #4299
molson
General Manager

The Great on Hulu was cancelled after 3 seasons. Bummer

Everything feels tenuous with the cutbacks and strikes, even Emmy-nominated stuff.
Old 08-30-2023, 08:47 PM   #4300
GrantDawg

That was such a great show. I feel like we have watched the end of the Golden age of television.