Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-27-2016, 03:02 AM   #1
LaStarza61
n00b

Forge of Freedom vs Gary Grigsby's War Between the States

I'm just curious if anyone has played one or both of these American Civil War games? I'm looking for a good Civil war game and I've read good things about both of these games available thru Matrix Games. Any comments about either game or comparisons (if you've played both) would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to take advantage of their 30% off Easter Sale.

My all time favorite Civil War game was "Civil War Generals II"... but I can't get it to work on my computer with Windows 10.

Thanks!

LaStarza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:27 AM   #2
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Although I am civil war nut, really never fully enjoyed either game for some reason. I also think forge is locked at a very low screen resolution. American civil war 2 game is ok, but I struggle with ageod system. Although not strategic and more battle specific, I prefer scourge or war series from matrix.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:04 AM   #3
LaStarza61
n00b

Thank you for your thoughts. The "Scourge of War" series looks very good... but I just prefer war games with a campaign structure available. And I'm with you on the AGEOD system... I've tried, but I just can't seem to enjoy it. I really wish I could get into that system because "Revolution Under Siege Gold" looks very, very interesting to me. Have you by chance tried that one?

I just wish I could get "Civil War Generals II" to work! I loved that game so much!

Last edited by LaStarza61 : 03-28-2016 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:50 AM   #4
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaStarza61 View Post
Thank you for your thoughts. The "Scourge of War" series looks very good... but I just prefer war games with a campaign structure available. And I'm with you on the AGEOD system... I've tried, but I just can't seem to enjoy it. I really wish I could get into that system because "Revolution Under Siege Gold" looks very, very interesting to me. Have you by chance tried that one?

I just wish I could get "Civil War Generals II" to work! I loved that game so much!

Just curios what issues do you have running civil war generals?
Old 03-28-2016, 05:08 AM   #5
LaStarza61
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
Just curios what issues do you have running civil war generals?

I don't have the disk anymore, but there is a site where you can download the game (it's in public domain now)... and follow a complicated series of steps to get it to work on current Windows operating systems. I did get it to work when I had a Windows Vista computer, but I just can't get it to work on Windows 10. Maybe it just will not work with Windows 10 for anyone.

Here's the site where you can get all the game files and instructions, etc... (the installation instructions are included in the game files zip.)

Civil War Generals 2 Download, CWG2

Maybe you can see if you can get it to work if you have the time or the desire to do so.

Last edited by LaStarza61 : 03-28-2016 at 05:13 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:50 PM   #6
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

May want to look at this site....says it has an "easy" setup .exe that handles more modern systems.

Civil War Generals 2 Download (1997 Strategy Game)
Old 03-28-2016, 09:17 PM   #7
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Ultimate General Gettysburg is like an update of Sid's Gettysburg. It, obviously though, only covers Gettysburg.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:33 AM   #8
LaStarza61
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
May want to look at this site....says it has an "easy" setup .exe that handles more modern systems.

Civil War Generals 2 Download (1997 Strategy Game)

Thanks SlyBelle1! I haven't looked at the site closely yet... but it looks like it might be extremely helpful!
Old 03-29-2016, 01:36 AM   #9
LaStarza61
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Ultimate General Gettysburg is like an update of Sid's Gettysburg. It, obviously though, only covers Gettysburg.

This game looks extremely cool... but for some reason I get extremely nervous playing real time strategy games. I don't know if it's because i'm old or some other reason. I much prefer turn based so I can sit back and take my time and strategize (that may not be a real word)!
Old 03-29-2016, 03:15 AM   #10
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Dang. If there is a way to play CW2 on 10 ... I may just have a new time sink. Always wanted to put in a serious playthrough of that.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:45 PM   #11
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Thanks SlyBelle1! I haven't looked at the site closely yet... but it looks like it might be extremely helpful!

Hope it works out...
Old 03-29-2016, 09:23 PM   #12
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This game looks extremely cool... but for some reason I get extremely nervous playing real time strategy games. I don't know if it's because i'm old or some other reason. I much prefer turn based so I can sit back and take my time and strategize (that may not be a real word)!

It's not very intensive and there is a pause button if you want to stop things from time to time.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:35 AM   #13
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Seeing the love for Civil War Generals II, followed by help on getting it to run on modern systems, is why I love this site in a nutshell. I just moved, and couldn't bring myself to toss out CWGII, just because I loved that game so much, but can't get it to run properly on my system. Now it's looking like a good decision.

Back on topic, I haven't found a good computer Civil War game that I like, but if you like board games, For The People is a pretty phenomenal game. It's not too tough to play solitaire. I just use selective memory loss.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:40 AM   #14
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Chalk up another instance of me going to research a game only to find it sitting abandoned in my Steam library.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:26 AM   #15
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

FYI: You can get Ultimate General and some other games for a 1 right now at Humble Bundle.