Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Fantasy Football: Bad Beats

I seem to often feel like I'm getting screwed in fantasy football (I think I have a martyr complex or something), but this year is one like no other. Check out the points for and against totals for me versus the rest of my league it's craziness.
Attached Images
File Type: png ouch.png (27.8 KB, 201 views)
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."

Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
Butter
Coordinator

In my money league, I am 7th out of 12 in points scored... but have had the most points scored against me BY FAR. Something like 55 points more than the next most. Leading me to be last in my 4 team division. Still have a shot, but I am tired of getting my brains beat in every week by some ridiculous career game some idiot has.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
In my money league, I am 7th out of 12 in points scored... but have had the most points scored against me BY FAR. Something like 55 points more than the next most. Leading me to be last in my 4 team division. Still have a shot, but I am tired of getting my brains beat in every week by some ridiculous career game some idiot has.

Unless your scoring is way lower 55 points doesn't seem outlandish. I have over 120 more points against than then the next most scored on team, and almost 300(!) more against than the guy in first place. Oh, and I lead the league in scoring, but have had to go on a 2 game win streak just to reach 3-5 on the year.

/martyr
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 11-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

I feel for you...I stopped playing Fantasy Football because for 2 years in a row I had the 2nd highest total points in a league of 12 teams, and didn't even make the playoffs...

I had a 3rd year where I finished 3rd in total points and didn't make the playoffs that year either...

Just dumb luck indicates I should have made the playoffs at least once...
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
Logan
Head Coach

The major fantasy sites need to add a scoring variation that allow for basically double headers. You play a H2H match, and then you play another vs either the league average, or a simpler "win for scoring in the top half, lose for scoring in the bottom half". So you come out of each week with a 2-0, 1-1, or 0-2 record. It keeps the most fun aspect of fantasy football, the H2H matchup, while eliminating the most annoying part, the luck of the draw and how the schedule is randomly set up. It only gets worse if you play with divisions.

Unfortunately there's very few sites that offer this. I put together a post on my work league board about this last year, just to show how it would affect the standings/playoff scenarios, in case it was ever a legit option to move to this, especially if it can be done with one of the free software services. All I did was give an extra win/loss for finishing in the top/bottom half each week.

So using my league last year as an example (14 team league, top 2 get byes, 6 teams in the playoffs):

- The top seed originally (me!) remained the top seed. The #2 seed stayed in that spot.
- The original #3 seed fell out of the playoffs completely.
- The original 4 and 5 stayed the same.
- The original #6 seed moved up to #3.
- The new #6 seed was a team originally ranked 9th.

It is what it is. I stopped getting bothered by stuff like this a few years ago.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Sounds like you need to fire your defensive coordinator.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Sounds like you need to fire your defensive coordinator.

I knew I shouldn't have promoted the o-line coach there!
Old 11-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I like Logan's scoring.

Another thought I had was simply "everyone plays everyone each week". Top scorer for the week records 11 wins, lowest scorer goes 0-11
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I like Logan's scoring.

Another thought I had was simply "everyone plays everyone each week". Top scorer for the week records 11 wins, lowest scorer goes 0-11

If you're going to do that just play a a points league. I like my money league. Its a normal head to head, but prize money is split among different things, regular season champion, playoff winner, most points, etc...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
If you're going to do that just play a a points league. I like my money league. Its a normal head to head, but prize money is split among different things, regular season champion, playoff winner, most points, etc...

I think this is the best way to to it when you have a lot of money in your pool.

I have been screwed by luck many times playing fantasy football. I have lead the league in scoring over the course of the year by 300 points and not made the playoffs. 8 of the 9 other teams had their highest scoring week against me. A team that was 2-11 beat me twice after averaging 70 points every week except the 2 times they scored 120 against me.

There's lots of luck involved, but there is lots of skill too.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #11
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I guess you could say I had a "bad beat" this week.

I won this week and "should" have clinched a playoff spot in my money league. It's actually a fairly big money league.

What actually happened was I had a guy who played on my IR and they took off the points of my highest scoring guy at that position as a result. This resulted in me losing my game and now I'm tied for the last playoff spot. Oh, and I lose the tiebreaker. So really I just flat out didn't make the playoffs.

Now for some background. This rule isn't listed. I have read both the site that hosts the league's rules(they say that it is possible to keep a healthy player on IR indefinitely as long as you don't make roster moves) and the modified league rules(no mention of it anyway leading me to believe the site rules apply). I have read them multiple times.

In fact in week 4 of this year I had the same exact situation happen and they didn't take the points off. This is my 2nd year in this league, I won it last year, and I have never seen this happen. All of the guys in it live in my hometown, but I only actually know one guy in it personally and only played in it last year because one of the "regulars" couldn't play. They needed someone who knew how to play FF and my buddy recommended me. They decided to keep me in the league this year and make me one of the regulars.

I feel like I'm getting screwed here. I brought it up and I was told, "It has always been a rule." I'm not going to do anything crazy over it I guess. I told them, "I can't play the game unless I know the rules. I have read both the site's rules and our league rules multiple times, but apparently I still don't know the rules."

So what is the board's take on this. Am I getting a "hometown" job to sneak a buddy into the playoffs, getting screwed by a bad league manager, or just having the rules applied to me correctly?

For the record the biggest jackpots are awarded to the league champion and the league runner-up. There are other payouts I would still have a decent shot at, such as most points, but I'm pretty well out of the running for that even before they adjusted my points for the week.

Last edited by dubb93 : 11-27-2012 at 10:08 PM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #12
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I would ask them to specify in the rules than this how it is handled. If they can't do that, they need to reverse the decision. If they won't reverse the decision, I'd ask for my money back and withdraw from the league.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #13
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Holy cow you must be getting blasted each week and those numbers are definitely screwed up. The good news is if you can just make that eighth playoff spot you could run the table in the playoffs.

I personally have won two games this year by less than one point each. I am in fourth place and have clinched a playoff berth. Brees to Graham for the win!
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

A 5-7 team made our playoffs as the 8th seed with 185 and 117 less points than the other two 5-7 teams. I had no idea h2h actually mattered in ESPN standard tiebreaking.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #15
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

As an update, the tide has been stemmed in recent weeks. I rattled off 5 straight wins leading into this past week, and the scores against me have dropped to more normal levels.

Unfortunately Gronk and McGahee got injured and now I'm pretty much toast, only putting up 66 points this week in a loss that dropped me from 5th to 7th place with a 6-6 record. Unfortunately only 4 teams make the playoffs in our league, so even if I pull out wins in the last 2 games to sit at 8-6 I will need a lot of help to make that 4th spot.
Attached Images
File Type: png ffl.png (30.6 KB, 119 views)
Old 11-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #16
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

im my money league, we get 25$ for setting the high score in a week. 2 of the last 3 weeks I have missed the high score by under .1 points. (.04 for a passing yard) (the one 3 weeks ago was by .04 points)

matt ryan needs to throw that garbage time TD for me!!!!!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #17
thesloppy
Pro Starter

This is why I love my total points league. H2H results are determined by the schedule just as much as anything else, and nobody in a total points league has ever complained of being ripped off or hosed, whereas every H2H league has at least one guy who thinks he's getting screwed. I don't even really understand what benefit I'm supposed to be getting out of the H2H format....I guess you get the opportunity to shit-talk your opponent, but that's about it. It's not like your team has any effect on the other team, or you're playing the game differently in any manner, other than how the scores are tabulated every week.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #18
kcchief19
Pro Starter

If we're talking bad beats, I guess I should once again regale everyone with the bad beats I delivered in the postseason of the old Front Office Curling league. I seemingly missed the playoffs and was in the consolation bracket. I went online at the last minute Saturday before the games kicked off and saw I was now in the playoffs. Either Yahoo or the NFL took away a sack from my opponents defense during week 14, so I went from losing that game by about .15 to winning by .85.

I think I won the semifinal game comfortably, then ended up needing a Monday night miracle when I had Marc Bulger going against a couple of guys from Cougar's team. We ended up winning the championship by one yard passing -- .05.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #19
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
im my money league, we get 25$ for setting the high score in a week. 2 of the last 3 weeks I have missed the high score by under .1 points. (.04 for a passing yard) (the one 3 weeks ago was by .04 points)

matt ryan needs to throw that garbage time TD for me!!!!!

More like garbage time 3 yard screen
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #20
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I would ask them to specify in the rules than this how it is handled. If they can't do that, they need to reverse the decision. If they won't reverse the decision, I'd ask for my money back and withdraw from the league.

Guy is a bigger dbagger than I thought. I did talk to him. He insists this is "how it has always been." Admits he didn't post it in the rules because "everyone knows the rule." He also admits it is his fault for me not knowing the rule, but refuses to reverse his decision.

I'm not asking for my money back, but I'm also not going to be joining this league again next year.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #21
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Guy is a bigger dbagger than I thought. I did talk to him. He insists this is "how it has always been." Admits he didn't post it in the rules because "everyone knows the rule." He also admits it is his fault for me not knowing the rule, but refuses to reverse his decision.

I'm not asking for my money back, but I'm also not going to be joining this league again next year.

Sue their asses in small claims court.

That's massive douchebaggery right there. I'd fucking...slit his fucking tires over that shit or something.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-28-2012 at 04:27 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #22
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd go through and find multiple instances of this happening, and then ask for your money back. But I understand if you don't want to do this.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #23
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Well our regular season ended yesterday, with me putting up 153 points to take the season scoring title. Unfortunately I still finished in 6th place with a 7-7 record and am relegated to the Consolation bracket. Such is life in fantasy football I suppose.
Attached Images
File Type: png final-standings.png (31.0 KB, 65 views)
Old 12-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #24
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Man, you got ripped. You have more 'points against' than anybody else has points for. Basically, you got beat by your schedule.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #25
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Man, you got ripped. You have more 'points against' than anybody else has points for. Basically, you got beat by your schedule.

As usually happens... I was a close 3rd in PF, 10th by a long distance in PA, and went 5-8 (after a 3-1 start, no less).
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #26
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

How does this team (mine) not win a "fantasy super bowl"????

QB P.Manning
RB R.Rice
RB Foster
WR A.Johnson
WR R.Wayne
WR W.Welker
TE O. Daniels

I'm so disgusted that I lost in the 1st round of the playoffs!!!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #27
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

Yep. I had 7 games where my opponent put up 100+ points against me. One other team had 6 games of 100+ against, everyone else was 2 or 3.

In the little recaps this week it had this note, which sums it up:
- If Juice Springsteen had played every team in the league each week, they would be 100-54.

Of course, it also had this note which is just plain awesome:
- The Seattle Seahawks Defense scored the most points of any player on Juice Springsteen this season with 41.00.

I don't think I've ever had a defense put up the highest individual point total in a season for my team before
Old 12-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #28
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola

It's also worth noting that I had so many more games of opponents putting up 100+ points and I never had to even play the highest scoring team in the league (myself) who put up 5 games of 100+ points.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #29
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Scored 2nd most points in the first round of the playoffs.

Played the guy who scored the most. Le sigh.

Newton, Rice, A-Pete, Green-Ellis, Cruz...all for naught. Such a shame.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #30
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
ELI + Cruz, Jamaal Charles, Reggie Wayne, Aaron Hernandez.

9 tds right there in the week 1 playoffs. didnt make em. infact, worst record of any team in the entire league.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #31
britrock88
Pro Starter

This is why 2-week playoffs are better...
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #32
Suicane75
Coordinator

H2H is why I didn't play FF for so long, it just seems ridiculous to me. Is having someone to play that big a deal to most people?

Wouldn't it be just as fun if half the pot, say a 12 team league with a $20 buy in, only play 16 weeks, the top point getter each week gets $7.50 and then the other half of the pot ($120) goes to the overall point leader. Wouldn't it be just as exciting?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #33
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Suicane - I say we get a league like this going next year.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #34
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
H2H is why I didn't play FF for so long, it just seems ridiculous to me. Is having someone to play that big a deal to most people?

Wouldn't it be just as fun if half the pot, say a 12 team league with a $20 buy in, only play 16 weeks, the top point getter each week gets $7.50 and then the other half of the pot ($120) goes to the overall point leader. Wouldn't it be just as exciting?

That's very nearly my league. $50 entry, $10 to weekly winner, and the remaining pot is split 60/40 between 1st and 2nd. We're going on 12 years now, wouldn't do it any other way.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #35
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lost 98.4-97.6 in week one of our playoffs(week13) I'll never have a team with RG3/Foster/AD/Gronk again.

Oh well

we do $100 buy in, 20$/week high score 580/280/100

Last edited by stevew : 12-11-2012 at 05:43 PM.