Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-02-2008, 03:04 PM   #51
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Just had my first crash. The whole browser, not just a tab which is one of the features I liked reading about. Not sure why it crashed. The good thing is it asked to restart, I said yes, and it was back up and I was typing this within seconds. That was pretty fast even though the crash sucked.

I liked reading about that too, especially since FF crashed twice while reading that comic this morning.

PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:04 PM   #52
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Cringer: did you have only one tab open, per chance? I imagine not, but just a question.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:18 PM   #53
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I had 4 or 5 tabs open. I would be surprised if it was website related though. I think I had just finished messing around with my bookmarks and when it started back up all my changes were gone and I had to redo it. Still, I can't say for sure it was because of that either as it seemed to come out of nowhere.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:27 PM   #54
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Downloads is interesting. I just tested it out and was a touch unhappy to see a downloads bar pop up at the bottom of the window. After the small download finished I closed it then thought, "how the heck do I get to that download now?" Went to the control/tools icon and saw Downloads and clicked it. It popped open a new tab with a history of downloads in it (one at this point), and a search bar at top to search downloads. I like that last little part....
Old 09-02-2008, 03:40 PM   #55
atatange1
High School JV

One thing I have noticed is I cant use my middle mouse wheel to scroll up, I can use it to scroll down but not up. Same when I click down on it (and you get the arrows) I can't up with it.
atatange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:42 PM   #56
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

My mouse works fine in all directions and with all buttons.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:43 PM   #57
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Works for me, atatange... weird.

But yeah, even though I downloaded and set it up, it won't see much use until noscript/adblock work with Chrome
Old 09-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #58
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Works for me, atatange... weird.

But yeah, even though I downloaded and set it up, it won't see much use until noscript/adblock work with Chrome

I have often found noscript to be more trouble that it is worth, but adblock is essential. I didn't even realize that some of the sites I regularly visit even had ads until I tested them with Chrome.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:52 PM   #59
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'm finding that when I use the little link that takes me to the first new post, it actually is sending me lower, so that i have to scroll up to see that post.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:54 PM   #60
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I'm finding that when I use the little link that takes me to the first new post, it actually is sending me lower, so that i have to scroll up to see that post.

I've always had spotty results with that function in Firefox. I don't know how it decides what the last viewed post was, but it is often wrong.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:58 PM   #61
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

noscript is teh hotness
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #62
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
noscript is teh hotness

What do you see as the major benefit? After putting in a whitelist exception for about 90% of the sites I visit, I decided not to bother. And that doesn't even count the countless forms I've filled out before finding out that noscript was going to eat the form submission and make me do it all over again.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #63
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Sadly it doesn't work with one of my work related websites, one of the main ones lately. Looks the same as it does in FF. Looks like IE stays in use for that.....
Old 09-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #64
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
What do you see as the major benefit? After putting in a whitelist exception for about 90% of the sites I visit, I decided not to bother. And that doesn't even count the countless forms I've filled out before finding out that noscript was going to eat the form submission and make me do it all over again.

The main reason noscript is a must have for me and my systems at home is I have very little control over the sites that my wife visits and with more and more of them taking advantage of flash exploits, real player exploits, etc. to load spyware, trojans, etc on your system without any warning or prompting (through the use of iframes, etc) noscript kills the majority of those.

Obviously I try to keep the systems patched as best as possible, but noscript takes away the extra chance that some exploit or issue might be found. I haven't found any sites that noscript does not work with yet, if I hit a site with scripting, I can enable it if I deem it is safe fairly easily (with just a right click basically)...

It is the universal balance between security and usability. As I am in networking security for a living, I probably err more on the side of security than other normal users might. I just like to play it safe these days

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:45 PM   #65
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

So far the speed increase is nice, but Bloglines took some time to load. I can see where it's going to be resource heavy for some stuff, but like they said, it will work out in the end. It took me a second before I realized what was so different about what I was looking at. Screen space. Lots and lots of screen space.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:14 PM   #66
Schmidty
Coordinator

I LOVE FIREFOX. IT IS THE GREATEST BROWSER EVER. THERE. I SAID IT. I HAVE USED IT FOR 2 MONTHS AND WILL NEVER GO BACK. I LOVE SHIT LIKE STUMBLE UPON, AND....WELLL TONS OF OTHER COOL-ASS ADDONS.

THERE DANGARION. YOU WON.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #67
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I LOVE FIREFOX. IT IS THE GREATEST BROWSER EVER. THERE. I SAID IT. I HAVE USED IT FOR 2 MONTHS AND WILL NEVER GO BACK. I LOVE SHIT LIKE STUMBLE UPON, AND....WELLL TONS OF OTHER COOL-ASS ADDONS.

THERE DANGARION. YOU WON.

You must be being sarcastic. I don't not believe you!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:44 PM   #68
MJ4H
Coordinator

Tried if for about 10 minutes and closed it out of frustration:

1. Has it's own skin that ignores my blackbox skins. No. Don't do that.

2. Failed miserably at importing my bookmarks properly (no folders), mixed bookmarks from different browsers.

3. No easy access to bookmarks without a complete waste of space toolbar.

4. No option to kill unwanted elements (adblocking).

It's too bad because the browser is nice and fast.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:51 PM   #69
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I like that it's fast and I like the screen space. My bookmarks imported with no problem, though I have too many FF plugins that I'm too fond of, to really use this full time.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #70
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Been using it a bit and it seems really fast. Also pretty slick interface, I love the kind of drop down that comes up when you hit "Ctrl-F". And drag-able text bars in forums for more typing space. That is pretty nice.

A few more plugins would be nice, but it is working pretty well.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #71
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Everyone should expect plenty of disappointments until the extension programmers get up to speed. Bare Chrome compares well to bare Firefox, but it doesn't compare at all to extension-filled Firefox. Keep this in mind when evaluating.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:39 PM   #72
Schmidty
Coordinator

I guess that after being a life-long IE user, I don't expect much.

My only complaint - Drop down menus like at mlive.com don't work. That's it though.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #73
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Love the look and "feel" but lack of google bookmarks support (seriously..wtf?) is a non-starter for the time being.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #74
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Life long IE user as well and I'm really liking Google Chrome thus far.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:14 AM   #75
Drake
assmaster

An interesting perspective on the EULA arriving with Chrome:

TapTheHive - This Post Not Made In Chrome; Google's EULA Sucks
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:17 AM   #76
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I think that qualifies as evil.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:26 AM   #77
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, this is starting to sound a lot less like Google and a lot more like Microsoft.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:08 AM   #78
KWhit
Coordinator

Interesting.

That doesn't sound like GOOG at all.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:10 AM   #79
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

That really is interesting...
Old 09-03-2008, 08:23 AM   #80
Drake
assmaster

Yahoo used to have the same sort of language in their Yahoo Groups stuff. My understanding was that they took it out after enough user complaints (though I'll admit that I never checked...I just stopped using Yahoo Groups).

Perhaps Google will do the same thing. Generally, this isn't a concern for me because I figure the university I work for and Google can fight it out over any IP I produce on the job, and anything I produce off the job gets released under a Creative Commons license anyway.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:38 AM   #81
gstelmack
Pro Starter

What, a company that makes its money on search and selling data mining to advertisers writes a browser and everyone is surprised that they want the rights to any data you produce with it? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:06 AM   #82
Drake
assmaster

You're right, of course, Greg.

The fact is that while the language in the EULA is troubling, if Chrome even gets 5% of the browser market, the volume of content being produced will be such that it makes endangering your control over your IP (whatever the hell that means) practically moot. It assumes, first of all, that you're producing such stunningly brilliant content that Google would want to use it.

Folks who produce content for a living should have enough of a following that anything Google took from them would have to be properly attributed (at least) to avoid a firestorm. Anyone not making cash off their content isn't likely to complain one way or the other (attributed or not) because of the whuffie value of having Google use their stuff in the first place. It isn't, after all, like Google is claiming to own your copyright.

A more interesting avenue for me, though, is wondering about code (which is probably on your mind too, Greg). If you write a piece of brilliant code and post a link to it via Chrome, does Google assume the rights to that code? Of course, if you're plaintexting or linking to code, chances are you're giving it away anyway, so does Google's use of it really matter?

So I guess this is where I'm at: the language in the EULA is troubling as an artifact in and of itself (i.e., troubling for its claims). But is it necessarily troublesome in any sort of practical way? Or is my thinking-box just too small because I Creative Commons everything?
Old 09-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #83
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Google is free to use my FOFC postings in any way they choose.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:32 PM   #84
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

so far so good. Passes the acid2 test.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:17 PM   #85
DanGarion
Coordinator

Google does not want rights to things you do using Chrome

FYI Google does not want rights to your content!

Quote:
I knew that Google didn’t want to assert rights on what people did using Google Chrome, so I asked the Chrome team and Google lawyers for their reaction or to clarify (probably several other people pinged them too). Here’s what I heard back from Rebecca Ward, the Senior Product Counsel for Google Chrome:

“In order to keep things simple for our users, we try to use the same set of legal terms (our Universal Terms of Service) for many of our products. Sometimes, as in the case of Google Chrome, this means that the legal terms for a specific product may include terms that don’t apply well to the use of that product. We are working quickly to remove language from Section 11 of the current Google Chrome terms of service. This change will apply retroactively to all users who have downloaded Google Chrome.”

I hope that addresses the concerns that I’ve seen on a few places around the web. I appreciate that people pored through the Chrome license to find anything that looked unclear and then raised concerns so that Google could respond.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #86
Drake
assmaster

That's pretty much what I expected. Maybe I'm a mindless consumer drone, but for some odd reason, I trust Google to the extent that when they've done something stupid and someone points it out to them, I figure they'll de-stupid it.

I'm not really sure what they've ever done to earn such currency with me, but they have it.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:35 AM   #87
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

No big surprise.

Google backtracks on Chrome license terms

Last edited by Northwood_DK : 09-04-2008 at 04:36 AM.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #88
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwood_DK View Post
Welcome to the party, I already posted about that...
Old 09-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #89
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
That's pretty much what I expected. Maybe I'm a mindless consumer drone, but for some odd reason, I trust Google to the extent that when they've done something stupid and someone points it out to them, I figure they'll de-stupid it.

I'm not really sure what they've ever done to earn such currency with me, but they have it.

Agreed on all counts.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #90
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Just started using Chrome a couple of days ago. Very quick. Pretty impressed so far. Some sites (including this one) seem to have some lag when clicking on topics. Not sure why.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #91
Logan
Head Coach

So my work computer is still stuck with IE 6. There's a growing number of websites I visit where there's a banner going across the top saying that they are phasing out support of my browser, and I should upgrade to IE 8, Firefox, Chrome, etc. I can't upgrade the browser on my own, and it frustrates the hell out of me.

Any tips for buttering up a government IT department?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:41 PM   #92
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Same here... and I don't think the government is going to budge on this because you have said so .
Old 09-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #93
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
So my work computer is still stuck with IE 6. There's a growing number of websites I visit where there's a banner going across the top saying that they are phasing out support of my browser, and I should upgrade to IE 8, Firefox, Chrome, etc. I can't upgrade the browser on my own, and it frustrates the hell out of me.

Any tips for buttering up a government IT department?

it's Clinton you need to worry about, not your IT.

US State Department employees ask Hillary clinton for Firefox - Video

t a recent town hall meeting with staff, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton received a question from one government employee who wanted to know if they could "please" use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer.

You can see the Q&A by skipping to the 26:32 point in the video above.

The request was met with a round of applause from the audience. But Clinton didn't have a ready answer, so she called another official who explained that while Firefox was available for free, it would cost money for the IT staff to begin supporting it. And while the state department is seeking additional funds for IT, it's not a done deal.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:53 PM   #94
Logan
Head Coach

I knew my hatred of her was warranted.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #95
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I don't work for State, and I'm not getting IE 6 either.

It's a security thing, not a political thing (government IT is used to IE 6 and its security).
Old 02-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #96
Schmidty
Coordinator

Well, I'm finally sick of how slow Firefox is for me. IE isn't happening, so I'm trying out Chrome. So far, I really like it. It's much faster and....lighter for a better word. I've added a few extensions and am satisfied, except for one thing - the bookmark toolbar. With FF I had an addon that simply had a website's icon without the words, so I could have a crapload of stuff on there. I've searched for over an hour and I can't find anything like that for Chrome. Does anyone know of such a thing?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #97
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Can't you just delete the name from the bookmark in the toolbar?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #98
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Can't you just delete the name from the bookmark in the toolbar?

Ahhhhh, ok. I guess sometimes the simplest thing is the best answer. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #99
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Ahhhhh, ok. I guess sometimes the simplest thing is the best answer. Thanks.

No problem -- I actually never thought to take out the names, so doing that will save me some space!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #100
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
No problem -- I actually never thought to take out the names, so doing that will save me some space!

Yeah, I was dying with only being able to have like 7 or 8 websites visible on the bar.