Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(Opinion) What's worse, file-sharing or the Record Companies/Movie Studios?

I came across this bit of news today:

New Line Cinema had a deal with the Tolkien estate that stated that the Tolkien estate was due 7.5% of any money that New Line collected from the Lord of the Rings (or other such Tolkien works). This also included an upfront licensing fee of $62,500.

The article (from the BBC) states that the three movies, in its various incarnations, have earned nearly $6 Billion in movie theater attendance, DVD sales, and direct licensing.

How much did the Tolkien estate see from that?

$62,500.

That's right, they didn't see one red cent from the $6 billion dollars that the studio raked in over this. Neither did the director, Peter Jackson. Fifteen actors are suing the company for the 5% cut of merchandising featuring their likeness which was promised, but never paid.

Only when the Tolkien estate sued New Line Cinema for breach of contract (and threatened to revoke the license to The Hobbit, or at the very least tie it up in costly litigation for years), did New Line Cinema give in.

This is not unusual.

Forrest Gump creator Winston Groom was given $350,000 and 3% of the film's profits for Forrest Gump. Despite making nearly $700 million in theatre sales, and god knows how much money in Merchandising and DVD sales, Groom hasn't seen one red cent in royalties.

In probably the most egregious bit of accounting, Gary Wolf, the creator of the book that would eventually become the movie "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" sued Disney for unpaid royalties. Despite the film's complete budget being around $70 million, and making $330 million at the theater, (and again, god knows how much money in DVD and Merchandising sales) Disney somehow claims with a straight face that not only did the film not make any money (and thus Wolf did not deserve any royalties), but Wolf OWED THEM up to a million dollars due to "an accounting error" they deiscovered during the lawsuit.

Lest you all think I'm focusing on the movie companies alone here, let's say the record companies are just as bad if not worse. Hidden accounting rules the day here, with the record companies finding loopholes under every rock and bit of dirt.

For example, this decade, they were ordered to disburse $50 million of unpaid royalties that the RIAA companies had swore on a stack of bibles that they had made a good-faith effort to find the people that earned them, but gosh darn it, they couldn't find them to give them their hard-earned money, so they will keep it till they can one day find these poor souls (or their estates) and give them what they deserve.

Poor souls like Dolly Parton. Or Alabama. Or John Mellencamp. The Dave Matthews Band. Frank Sinatra. Elvis Presley.The list goes on and on.

Frankly, every time I see a new story in that list, it makes me understand more and more why people see file-sharing (or piracy, whatever folks want to call it) as a victimless crime. No, you're not stealing from the artists. You're cheating the cheaters, that's all. Before the record companies and movie studios try to claim the moral highground, they may want to clean up their own acts more.

I will admit, I do support a blanket licensing fee in the digital age. Heck, it's apparently going on in some European nations already, where a fee is added on to ISP charges and media storage units, but private, non-commercial file sharing (I.E., Peer to Peer, not large scale commercial (file sharing/piracy) is not illegal.

But until these mobsters get their own houses in order, they have no moral rights to tell us what we can or can't do.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8245300.stm

Last edited by SirFozzie : 09-08-2009 at 08:22 PM.
SirFozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
wade moore
lolzcat

blah blah blah two wrongs make a right blah blah blah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post

I'm not saying that (although as I said, I'm beginning to believe there's nothing wrong in cheating a cheater). I'm saying that the hypocrisy of these companies is sickening.

I'd also support the end of "hollywood accounting" Get rid of the distinction between net profits and gross profits (where a company can hide the money in a shell game, by charging itself a grossly overrated fee). Stop trying to tell us all that a movie that made over a billion dollars is somehow a net loss.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
JPhillips
General Manager

When a person steals its a crime. When a company steals its good business.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:01 PM   #5
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
I'm not saying that

I don't see how you could possibly be trying to say anything BUT that? That's precisely what you're saying, to the letter.

Quote:
But until these mobsters get their own houses in order, they have no moral rights to tell us what we can or can't do.

Pretty sure piracy is about the law, not moral rights. They're two different things, are they not?

You do realize that you're just banging your head into a wall here every couple weeks as you try to tell everyone here why stealing is ok from a different angle? we ought to have an alright boyz style RIAA/MPAA containment thread for you to post this shit in.

Its really too bad you went out of your way to frame this story as a justification for stealing, because its a pretty interesting and noteworthy story in its own right.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
chadritt
High School Varsity

Just to chime in, there are other reasons that it matters whether or not a show is bootlegged. My job and my salary, as well as those of my friends, depends entirely on the ratings of the shows we work on. I get paid more to do a second season than I do a first and a second season is also a virtually guaranteed job. Yeah, the higher ups can be jerks and take money they dont deserve....stop taking my paycheck away from me in order to get back at them.

Last edited by chadritt : 09-08-2009 at 10:35 PM.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #7
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

In the cases mentioned here I'd say the record companies/movie studios are worse but I have no idea how widespread that kind of behavior is across the industry as a whole.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #8
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Weinstein is notorious for creative accounting. A good book called "Down and Dirty Pictures" is about the rise of independent film, and he is easily the villain of the book.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:11 PM   #9
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Just to chime in, there are other reasons that it matters whether or not a show is bootlegged. My job and my salary, as well as those of my friends, depends entirely on the ratings of the shows we work on. I get paid more to do a second season than I do a first and a second season is also a virtually guaranteed job. Yeah, the higher ups can be jerks and take money they dont deserve....stop taking my paycheck away from me in order to get back at them.

I'm sorry, that's at least partially crap. A very large percentage of the audience couldn't count for ratings if they wanted to. Programming that's not available in other countries is a large percentage of TV shows traded online (Note, I don't know how much).

Actually, the TV networks get it most of the big three (Music, Movies and TV). They make their programs available online with reasonable restrictions (through network sites, and places like joost and Hulu) and get a higher quality audience (they apparently can charge more per watcher because it's a dedicated audience.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:16 PM   #10
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Record Companies looking good in pretrial
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:14 AM   #11
gstelmack
Pro Starter

They all suck.

Of course these stats don't take into account the difference between the gross at the theaters and the money that actually makes it back to the studio. I don't know what the typical percentages are, but saying "took in $300 million at the box office" does not mean "studio earned $300 million from the theatrical release".
Old 09-09-2009, 08:17 AM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

good stuff
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:26 AM   #13
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
They all suck.

Of course these stats don't take into account the difference between the gross at the theaters and the money that actually makes it back to the studio. I don't know what the typical percentages are, but saying "took in $300 million at the box office" does not mean "studio earned $300 million from the theatrical release".

From what I have been told, it actually does. For new releases, the theater keeps very little to nothing from the ticket sales. All their money comes from concessions.

What you don't hear are promotion budgets. The 'cost to make' numbers thrown around usually include salaries, sets, costumes, music etc., but not promotion. Its got to cost quite a bit to keep us completely immersed in 'Sorority Row' ads.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:43 AM   #14
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Its really too bad you went out of your way to frame this story as a justification for stealing, because its a pretty interesting and noteworthy story in its own right.

Exactly. The lengths at which people go to justify their stealing is laughable. There is absolutely no reason that the record/movie/whatever exec cannot be blood-sucking scumb bags AND the dirty little thieves be dirty little thieves.

Some of the practices of the record/movie/whatever companies is deplorable.

Stealing is deplorable.

They are not mutually exclusive.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 09-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #15
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I don't understand what the news story has to do with illegal file sharing. Other than I guess to loosely tie two different types of crimes into one story. The Link at the bbc site doesn't mention anything to do with illegal file sharing at all.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #16
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I don't see how you could possibly be trying to say anything BUT that? That's precisely what you're saying, to the letter.

Pretty sure piracy is about the law, not moral rights. They're two different things, are they not?

You do realize that you're just banging your head into a wall here every couple weeks as you try to tell everyone here why stealing is ok from a different angle? we ought to have an alright boyz style RIAA/MPAA containment thread for you to post this shit in.

I don't get it at all - it's illegal to steal, even if the victim is not a little old lady who goes to search. Even if the victims are not sympathetic, or rich.

I find the justifications worse than the the crime somehow. People actually convince themselves (and try to convince others) that they bootleg stuff because of how evil the record companies and movie studios are.

Everybody bootlegs because because they want stuff for free. That's it. That's the only reason. Why is this so hard to admit?

It's a crime with very little enforcement, so lots people do it. I've committed this crime myself. So I certainly can't condemn others morally for breaking it, but I clearly broke the law, as others clearly are.

One can disagree with the law, or any law, but laws don't apply only to those who agree with them. We live in a government system where people are supposed to follow the laws, even if they disagree with them.

Last edited by molson : 09-09-2009 at 08:54 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #17
chesapeake
College Starter

I am with the "stealing is bad" crowd, but I have little sympathy for the RIAA and MPAA. I meet with their reps from time to time and it would be hard to find a group that is more consistently tone deaf. Ironic.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #18
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

I also have little sympathy for RIAA and MPAA. Having said that, justifying stealing or any other criminal activity because someone else does it on a larger scale is ridiculous. If I go steal meds from a little old lady because the pharmaceutical companies are scumbags, is that still not wrong?
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #19
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
If I go steal meds from a little old lady because the pharmaceutical companies are scumbags, is that still not wrong?

Although downloading music/movies/TV shows/games is illegal and morally wrong I think physically stealing a product like that is morally worse because you're taking away something from another person instead of just getting a copy of it.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #20
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Every time the argument gets clouded by poor analogies from both sides.

The distillation of the issue: Is piracy theft, and if so, how do you morally justify it? I've never really seen this answered directly by the (poor words, I know) pro-piracy side, just obfuscated.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #21
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
From what I have been told, it actually does. For new releases, the theater keeps very little to nothing from the ticket sales. All their money comes from concessions.

What you don't hear are promotion budgets. The 'cost to make' numbers thrown around usually include salaries, sets, costumes, music etc., but not promotion. Its got to cost quite a bit to keep us completely immersed in 'Sorority Row' ads.
Bingo. One of the reason concession prices are higher is because that's how the movie theaters make their money during the theater runs. Movie splits vary between exhibitor and the movie studios, but typically run on a split. Summer blockbusters typically have a 4-week guaranteed run at theaters, depending on the number of prints. During that 4-week, the split could be anywhere between 80/20 studio/exhibitor to as bad as 99/1. I've seen that one. So, most theaters rely on a percap, Concession $ vs patron. On a good weekend night, you hope for as close to $4 as possible. On a weeknight during the fall, sometimes you're lucky to see $2.50. Sometimes studios get absurd when it comes to concession dollars too and that's when you might see a bigger chain not carry a movie during its initial box office runs, ie Road to Perdition, which a major movie chain decided not to carry because of the Movie Studio demanding a percentage of the concession sales during the first 2 weekends.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #22
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

One commits piracy, the other commits fraud...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:27 AM   #23
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post
One of the reason concession prices are higher is because that's how the movie theaters make their money during the theater runs.

Does anyone ever question that theory? I'd never, ever buy concessions at a movie. If the costs were reasonable, I'd definitely by soda and popcorn every time. But I'm not throwing down $10+ on top of the $10 movie ticket.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:27 AM   #24
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

How about 5 years after the fact, do you still get paid for the show then?
Old 09-09-2009, 10:27 AM   #25
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

Everybody bootlegs because because they want stuff for free. That's it. That's the only reason. Why is this so hard to admit?

winner.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #26
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm sorry, that's at least partially crap. A very large percentage of the audience couldn't count for ratings if they wanted to. Programming that's not available in other countries is a large percentage of TV shows traded online (Note, I don't know how much).

Very true, Top Gear is one of the bigger shows traded on the intarwebs, but the BBC doesn't think the rest of Earth's population deserve to see the full 1 hour show.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:32 AM   #27
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Very true, Top Gear is one of the bigger shows traded on the intarwebs, but the BBC doesn't think the rest of Earth's population deserve to see the full 1 hour show.

That's their choice, not the consumer's. They don't have to justify that reasoning to you. They're no legal entitlement to consume any show/movie you want to. I can think of plenty of reasons for this kind of decision, but it's really completely irrelevant to the legal issues.

Last edited by molson : 09-09-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #28
Autumn
Head Coach

Well, to play devil's advocate a bit here, the OP didn't, I don't think, suggest that file sharing is not illegal. He was trying to suggest a moral equivalency between the two. Which despite the protests it sounds like most here agree with, that both are immoral acts.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #29
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I want to chime in about record companies and the music business in general and say it is a very very very dirty business. The amount of people who are fucked over in the process of making a hit record and making an album is mindbogglingly. Thank God for the internet because good people can just promote themselves now.

Last edited by Noop : 09-09-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Noop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:57 AM   #30
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
That's their choice, not the consumer's. They don't have to justify that reasoning to you. They're no legal entitlement to consume any show/movie you want to. I can think of plenty of reasons for this kind of decision, but it's really completely irrelevant to the legal issues.

Oh yeah I agree, but if you hold a product from someone that wants to watch it, eventually the person that wants to watch it will find a way.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #31
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
mind blogging

I can't decide if this is a horrible butchering of a old, commonly used phrase, or an ingenious twisting of same into a brilliant new phrase.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #32
Schmidty
Coordinator

The title of this thread should be "(Opinion) What worse, file-sharing or the Record Companies/Movie Studios?". You're going to start screwing up the newbies.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #33
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
I can't decide if this is a horrible butchering of a old, commonly used phrase, or an ingenious twisting of same into a brilliant new phrase.

Wow. My mistake.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #34
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I kindof like it as a new play on words

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:12 PM   #35
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
How about 5 years after the fact, do you still get paid for the show then?

Personally? No, my paycheck ends when the show finishes because im strictly a post-production person. There are people who do get residuals for a very long time though.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #36
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'll admit to bootlegging "Killshot" which was a blockbuster only dvd rental. And there are no blockbusters within a reasonable drive near my house. I suppose I could have spent 20-30 dollars to legitimately obtain a canadian DVD, but whatever(ie 20-30 times the average cost I pay to rent a movie). Sometimes they make it hard to be a good person.

And yeah, Molson, it's utterly dumb that concessions cost so much. I'd buy them if they were expensive instead of being unreasonable. Like I could go 2 bucks on a fountain drink(roughly 75% profit), but 4 dollars(88% profit roughly) is unreasonable.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #37
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Personally? No, my paycheck ends when the show finishes because im strictly a post-production person. There are people who do get residuals for a very long time though.
Great i don't feel as bad now after watching both Buffy and Angel from copies I downloaded on teh intarwebs so my wife could see them. Besides I already watched the advertising back when the shows were originally on...

Typically the only time I download a show is when I miss it for some reason. If they provided an inexpensive way for consumers to get shows and (here is the kicker) watch them on their TV I would do that instead of the process I use.

I refuse to watch a TV show on my computer, I bought a 40+ inch TV for a reason.

These companies have done everything they can to stifle technology and innovation that would allow them additional ways to make money, all on account that they want to control the content. I'm glad we are starting to get to a point where they are starting to see the light on the current technology. Too bad once the next innovation comes they'll be against it as well...

Last edited by DanGarion : 09-09-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #38
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Great i don't feel as bad now after watching both Buffy and Angel from copies I downloaded on teh intarwebs so my wife could see them. Besides I already watched the advertising back when the shows were originally on...

Typically the only time I download a show is when I miss it for some reason. If they provided an inexpensive way for consumers to get shows and (here is the kicker) watch them on their TV I would do that instead of the process I use.

I refuse to watch a TV show on my computer, I bought a 40+ inch TV for a reason.

The selection is limited, but Netflix streaming to a TiVo (or Roku) is excellent at this.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #39
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
The selection is limited, but Netflix streaming to a TiVo (or Roku) is excellent at this.

I agree. I have a Netflix account and love the recent Xbox360 update that provided the ability to see the library from it instead of having to log on my computer or use an iPhone app. But that doesn't solve the problem of me missing a show. Once an episode has aired there should be an ability for me to watch it on my TV after the fact, in some legal for or another and until that happens consumers will find other ways...
Old 09-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #40
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:

The only shows I download are ones that have not reached the UK. If it is being screened in the UK at the same time as the US I prefer to watch the UK broadcast as the picture quality is far better on my 40" TV.

I have bought a few US import DVDs after originally being introduced to a series by downloading episodes online.

A huge number of TV show downloaders will be based outside the US. If the networks can figure out an ad or subscription supported way of allowing worldwide viewing of their programming online, they could make a packet.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #41
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Once an episode has aired there should be an ability for me to watch it on my TV after the fact...

Why?

That's a serious question. Why should you be entitled to this? Do you realize what this would do to advertising revenue?

Quote:
Old 09-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #42
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Why?

That's a serious question. Why should you be entitled to this? Do you realize what this would do to advertising revenue?

more importantly, do we CARE?

(the answer to that is no, btw)
Old 09-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #43
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

Yes, you do. Without advertising revenue if shows are offered for free online, there's no way to fund creating the show.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #44
molson
General Manager

Quote:

That's fine that one doesn't care, though the law doesn't make the distinction between those that care and those that don't. As a democratic society, we've enacted laws that say we care. Individual dissention doesn't change that.

It's just a silly justification, the sense of entitlement. "It'm not really breaking a law because I DESERVE this" - that's actually what all criminals think. Obviously, this is a much lower level of crime, but it's the exact same mindset.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #45
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The horse and buggy whip makers approve of your last paragraph. If that was the case, then DVR's just as much "piracy" with the 30 second skip. Or the fast forward button...

Evolve or die. Advertising is trying to do the former, so it won't do the latter.

As I said, ABC/NBC/CBS have the right idea. Post it quickly (no later then day after or at most couple days afterwards), Post it in high quality.. and you can target your advertising.

The next step is to have it playable on a TV somehow. On Demand services through cable do pretty good, but now, the problem is that they only keep a limited selection of episodes.

Put it this way.. Get someone interested on late season episodes. If the show is available in high quality and easily accessible, you have a chance to set your hook (and keep them viewing your show and the related advertising).

Not available quickly, easily, legally? Then one of two things happen.. either that person fades away and you lose your chance. Or, if they're knowledgeable, they'll go to (insert site of choice) here, and download it anyway.

Get what you can out of it, at least. TV is no longer something you do as an appointment. You don't sit down to watch Cosby, Cheers, etcetera and make a night of it. It's something you do when you have the time, no matter what time it is.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:45 PM   #46
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Why?

Because I'm a viewer and me watching their show is what makes them money. It's they job as the content provider / producing to figure out how they are going to make money from it. I want the content, now provide it to me in the format I wish so I can enjoy it. Broadcast television needs to learn new tricks to keep their viewers and one of those tricks is not only broadcasting...
Old 09-09-2009, 06:46 PM   #47
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Yes, you do. Without advertising revenue if shows are offered for free online, there's no way to fund creating the show.

I never said I wanted the show for free online. I want to pay for it, but they need to learn not to screw me with advertising if I'm paying for it already.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #48
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Because I'm a viewer and me watching their show is what makes them money. It's they job as the content provider / producing to figure out how they are going to make money from it. I want the content, now provide it to me in the format I wish so I can enjoy it. Broadcast television needs to learn new tricks to keep their viewers and one of those tricks is not only broadcasting...

Easy way: charge you.

(which...I do see you arrived at as well)

Last edited by cuervo72 : 09-09-2009 at 06:52 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:54 PM   #49
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Every time the argument gets clouded by poor analogies from both sides.

The distillation of the issue: Is piracy theft, and if so, how do you morally justify it? I've never really seen this answered directly by the (poor words, I know) pro-piracy side, just obfuscated.

Why does morality even have to enter into it? Physical possessions don't need or deserve a moral code protecting them. The law is the law and morality can keep the fuck out of it. Is there a moral requirement not to spit on the subway? It's against the law and therein lies why you shouldn't do it not because you're morally a bad person if you do. That just obfuscates the true issue.

Same with these anti theft laws. Whenever I hear the moral argument bandied around all I can think of is someone's got some money tied up here and wants to shame people in order to protect it. That's hitting below the belt to me.

Fight legal battles in court and leave morality to whatever higher power you want to follow. I can't think of one major moral figure in history that would be a property rights advocate though I'm sure some of them would privately support them as practical issues but not major moral issues.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #50
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I can't stop corporations/powerful individuals from ripping off those they do business with. I can stop myself from stealing property that I have no legal right to.

So bad comparison.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote