Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-29-2018, 02:02 PM   #18001
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Not Rick Pitino @Pitweeto
49 minutes ago

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:
I have accepted the recently vacated head coaching position in Cleveland.

I look forward to taking the Browns to the next level of excellence.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:34 PM   #18002
molson
General Manager

Pitino would never be caught dead having sex on a Cleveland restaurant table.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:53 AM   #18003
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
There are fewer things more mortifying than getting to the pharmacy to refill your ED meds and realizing not only do you not have the empty bottle but you left it on the kitchen counter at your in laws.

Just empty the new bottle into something else and leave the new refill on the counter next week. Advantage you.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:59 AM   #18004
Ksyrup

Vontae Davis: I'm retiring at halftime

D-II Coach: Hold my beer

Video: Veteran coach calls illegal timeout during game to tell team he's retiring - FootballScoop
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-30-2018, 10:19 AM   #18005
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

That is so weird. Like, harmless. But weird.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:38 AM   #18006
molson
General Manager

Two attorneys I've worked with are arguing at the United States Supreme Court right this second. When there's a private party, it's generally a white-shoe wealthy lawyer arguing the case. But it's just luck of the draw when the state is a party, if your case gets there, you go there. Sometimes your supervisor argues it (also not a wealthy white-shoe lawyer), depending on how experienced you are, but they're both at counsel's table, both doing the whole D.C. Supreme Court argument experience, which is obviously a huge deal when you're a lawyer. Especially for the kind of lawyer who would need to buy a new suit just for this. I'm just a little jealous.

Last edited by molson : 10-30-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:53 AM   #18007
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

My 5 year told me she wants her stage name to be: Diamond Blow. I'm not sure if that is the best or worst thing.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:01 PM   #18008
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
My 5 year told me she wants her stage name to be: Diamond Blow. I'm not sure if that is the best or worst thing.

This is amazing and horrifying. My 5 year old was out to dinner with us a while back. The waiter brought her ice cream so she says , I love him! We laugh. Then she says I love his face, we giggle, then she says, and I looooooooove his body. Umm. Ugh.

Btw where did Buccs kid end up going to school. I know he was looking at Washington at one point.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:13 PM   #18009
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
amazing and horrifying

Btw where did Buccs kid end up going to school. I know he was looking at Washington at one point.

"Amazing and Horrifying" is a perfect description of raising a girl

Buccs kid is thriving at Northern Arizona University.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:54 PM   #18010
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Two attorneys I've worked with are arguing at the United States Supreme Court right this second. When there's a private party, it's generally a white-shoe wealthy lawyer arguing the case. But it's just luck of the draw when the state is a party, if your case gets there, you go there. Sometimes your supervisor argues it (also not a wealthy white-shoe lawyer), depending on how experienced you are, but they're both at counsel's table, both doing the whole D.C. Supreme Court argument experience, which is obviously a huge deal when you're a lawyer. Especially for the kind of lawyer who would need to buy a new suit just for this. I'm just a little jealous.

Were y'all the Yakima gas-bandit case or the poor guy who just wanted to appeal case :-)
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #18011
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Were y'all the Yakima gas-bandit case or the poor guy who just wanted to appeal case :-)

Haha, I bet you can guess.

The transcript is out and I just have goosebumps reading this guy just basically shooting the shit with the justices about the law
Old 10-30-2018, 03:22 PM   #18012
Ksyrup

I didn't realize college basketball season started on election day. What a busy/late night that is going to be...
Old 10-31-2018, 07:25 PM   #18013
miami_fan
Coordinator

Shout out to all the people offering wine/shots to parents accompanying their kids during trick or treating tonight.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:36 PM   #18014
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

So, it's bizarre, but they teach Mandarin as the second language at my son's elementary school.

Talking to a friend of mine who lives in Taiwan. The Mandarin word for "that one" is "nigga" (pronounced like you'd think). He was telling me the rather uncomfortable feeling whenever he's trying to point and ask for things.

Which led to me wondering exactly how they're gonna teach that one in school over here.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:36 AM   #18015
Ksyrup

We had Mandarin taught (or at least offered, not sure how it works) in our elementary schools when my kids were there, and that was at least 5 years ago.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-02-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #18016
Ksyrup

We have a guy down the street - technically in a different subdivision, but just down the block from us - who insists on parking his car on the edge of his driveway every day. I mean, like, where the back-end of his car is right at the edge of the street.

I don't get it - this seems like such an asshole move. One, he is completely blocking the sidewalk, and if that's his intent, he's an asshole. Two, every time I approach his house and see his car, I reflexively put on my brakes because it looks like someone is pulling out of the driveway. Again, asshole! I have no idea what good reason he has for parking like this. There's no other car in the driveway, just a huge space in front of his garage to where his car is.

I hope someone accidentally hits his car. It would not be difficult to do. And he would deserve it.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #18017
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
We have a guy down the street - technically in a different subdivision, but just down the block from us - who insists on parking his car on the edge of his driveway every day. I mean, like, where the back-end of his car is right at the edge of the street.

I don't get it - this seems like such an asshole move. One, he is completely blocking the sidewalk, and if that's his intent, he's an asshole. Two, every time I approach his house and see his car, I reflexively put on my brakes because it looks like someone is pulling out of the driveway. Again, asshole! I have no idea what good reason he has for parking like this. There's no other car in the driveway, just a huge space in front of his garage to where his car is.

I hope someone accidentally hits his car. It would not be difficult to do. And he would deserve it.

Most places it is illegal to block the sidewalk, you could likely report him.

What kind of lawyer doesn't know that? ( kidding)
Old 11-02-2018, 11:30 AM   #18018
Ksyrup

Well yeah, I guess I could take some sort of action, but I'm just posting it as a "what kind of dick does this?" random thought.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:34 PM   #18019
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

How long is the driveway?
Is he possibly working on something in the garage where he needs to wheel it in and out? and is leaving room for this?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #18020
Ksyrup

Normal driveway. I haven't seen anything going on at the house that suggests the car has been moved for that purpose. It's parked there when it's not being driven - unless it's sometimes in the garage and I can't see it.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:34 PM   #18021
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That's the type of dick that orders pizza on a street and you can't even pull into his driveway cause he's parked like a dick.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:39 PM   #18022
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Have you tried leaving a note on his mailbox?
Old 11-04-2018, 07:27 AM   #18023
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
So, it's bizarre, but they teach Mandarin as the second language at my son's elementary school.

Talking to a friend of mine who lives in Taiwan. The Mandarin word for "that one" is "nigga" (pronounced like you'd think). He was telling me the rather uncomfortable feeling whenever he's trying to point and ask for things.

Which led to me wondering exactly how they're gonna teach that one in school over here.

When we were in China we had overheard a person talking on their cell phone and they used that "phrase" incessantly. We had thought it was almost the equivalent of "uh huh" or something since it was used so much.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:29 AM   #18024
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Most places it is illegal to block the sidewalk, you could likely report him.

What kind of lawyer doesn't know that? ( kidding)

Yeah, it is here. We've had complaints even if you're doubling up on driveway parking when you have guests over. The sidewalk has the right of way over convenience.

Boggles my mind why someone would do it purposefully. Perhaps he's already been threatened (by the HOA?) and now it's personal?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:31 AM   #18025
Critch
lolzcat

Wait til trash pickup day and wipe dog dirt on the underside of his trashcan's handle.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:52 PM   #18026
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
When we were in China we had overheard a person talking on their cell phone and they used that "phrase" incessantly. We had thought it was almost the equivalent of "uh huh" or something since it was used so much.

My Freshman year college roommate was from Taiwan. This is my understanding of how he used it. It was almost like a filler word.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:51 AM   #18027
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Yeah, it is here. We've had complaints even if you're doubling up on driveway parking when you have guests over. The sidewalk has the right of way over convenience.

Boggles my mind why someone would do it purposefully. Perhaps he's already been threatened (by the HOA?) and now it's personal?

Don't know. I have not clue who lives there. They aren't in our HOA because it's technically a different subdivision. Our HOA President is running for mayor, so if she wins I plan on bringing it up to her...
Old 11-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #18028
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'm struggling. I believe I should vote, but I hate the America political system a great deal. None of these clowns give a damn about me or any of you guys outside of helping them get elected.

Every thing that the political system is now irritates me a great deal and I lack the motivation to even be involved.

But at the same time, I am interested in seeing how things go today.

I know I should go vote today, but will my 1 vote really matter? A big part of me doesn't want to deal with the hassle of it because I dislike the whole thing so much.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #18029
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It’s cliche but if everyone had the attitude does one vote matter...

That being said, the non voter shaming is getting out of control.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:41 AM   #18030
Ksyrup

Quote:
That being said, the non voter shaming is getting out of control.

Is everybody getting those mailers that claim to be calling out your neighbors for not voting? Big story here. People are mostly pissed or creeped out about it. They don't say how you voted, of course, but they point out your voting record for the past 4 or 5 election cycles.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-06-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:45 AM   #18031
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Is everybody getting those mailers that claim to be calling out your neighbors for not voting? Big story here. People are mostly pissed or creeped out about it. They don't say how you voted, of course, but they point out your voting record for the past 4 or 5 election cycles.
Are you still in Florida? A friend from my childhood church who is now down there posted a pic of the letter she received that listed when she did and didn't vote, and the "ZOMFG U SHOULD CALL THE POLICE THIS CAN'T BE LEGAL!!!1" responses were rather entertaining.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:46 AM   #18032
Ksyrup

No, Kentucky.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:47 AM   #18033
Ksyrup

SOS office has been flooded with calls believing the government is shaming them about not voting.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:47 AM   #18034
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

49 minutes from car to "I haz voted" sticker.

Shortest reported wait time during early voting here was 2 hours, typical was closer to 3 hours.

My thanks to you early voters.

edit to add: Yep, not the intended thread but in a way I guess it still fits here

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-06-2018 at 11:48 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:50 AM   #18035
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

That is fucking bonkers
Old 11-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #18036
Ksyrup

It's either people's names or addresses in a list, warning you not to be like those slackers.

Here's one that someone posted on a local FB page.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:59 AM   #18037
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That info is public record in most (all?) states.

In Georgia - with semi-open primaries - it's also a strong indicator of your party affiliation (though not absolute, as most rural voters will understand immediately).

Every candidate worth their salt has used that information for years to target their campaign efforts. In some respects, it's actually kind of comforting to see (theoretically) private citizens -- or at least non-candidates -- making use of the same info.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-06-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:00 PM   #18038
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Is that legal?
Old 11-06-2018, 12:01 PM   #18039
Ksyrup

Yes. Whether you voted is part of the public record.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #18040
Ksyrup

I didn't get one, so I don't know who sent it. Probably some "nonprofit."
Old 11-06-2018, 12:13 PM   #18041
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Is that legal?
Public record. In NC, the party registration is as well. Here are the party affiliations of every registered voter on a street near me, for example:

Attention Required! | Cloudflare
Old 11-06-2018, 12:30 PM   #18042
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Public record. In NC, the party registration is as well. Here are the party affiliations of every registered voter on a street near me, for example:

And, of anyone here, you knew exactly what I mean about how primary voting isn't an absolute indicator of larger voting patterns in Georgia.

(For those unfamiliar, local elections for many years ended up with the primary determining the winner of something like Sheriff for example ... Sheriff is often as not THE local race in a lot of areas. And in order to vote in those sometimes you had no choice but to cross over into the other party primary for a specific race. That's the nature of semi-open primaries)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-06-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:31 PM   #18043
Ben E Lou

Bingo. Just found a .gov web site in NC where all you need to know is a person's name and county, and you can see a list of when they voted. If the vote was a primary, it also lists what party you chose, even if you're registered as an Independent. This is just a case of people no longer being blissfully unaware of what's already out there. I now know, for example, that my neighbor who claimed he voted against Trump in the primaries is lying; he didn't vote in the primaries.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:32 PM   #18044
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And, of anyone here, you knew exactly what I mean about how primary voting isn't an absolute indicator of larger voting patterns in Georgia.

(For those unfamiliar, local elections for many years ended up with the primary determining the winner of something like Sheriff for example ... Sheriff is often as not THE local race in a lot of areas. And in order to vote in those sometimes you had no choice but to cross over into the other party primary for a specific race. That's the nature of semi-open primaries)
Yup. I crossed over to vote against Crazy Cynthia in a dem primary back in the day, as it was a given that the Dem would win the election.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:52 PM   #18045
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Bingo. Just found a .gov web site in NC where all you need to know is a person's name and county, and you can see a list of when they voted. If the vote was a primary, it also lists what party you chose, even if you're registered as an Independent. This is just a case of people no longer being blissfully unaware of what's already out there. I now know, for example, that my neighbor who claimed he voted against Trump in the primaries is lying; he didn't vote in the primaries.

link please
Old 11-09-2018, 01:00 PM   #18046
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Forgive me in advance. I am not much of a writer but I want to share a personal story.
Death of the local paper...

My kids go to high school in a small town. We live in a tiny town 15 miles away that doesnt have a school.

The town the school is in had a local newspaper from 1855-2006.
The next town over and our hated high school rival had a local newspaper from 1928-2006.
Of course at their peak both were dailies and down near the end each had swapped to 2x a week. Wednesday and Sunday.

Then from 2006-2015 the companies merged and published a single weekly edition.

Finally at the end of 2015 it was no longer sustainable and was shut down.

Not much would be missed, EXCEPT the local high school sports coverage.

Gene Graham had covered local high school sports for both papers (and submitted a weekly column to the next larger town newspaper and occasionally all the way up to The Charlotte Observer) It was a fixture around these parts, and if you were ever worth your salt at playing sports in highschool you had been written about by Mr. Graham. He did a phenomenal job of covering every sport. Football, Basketball, Cross Country, Wrestling, baseball, Golf you name it. If high schoolers competed against other high schoolers he covered it. He played on his name to write the Graham Cracker Crumbles column...and man he made you feel like the Super Bowl Champs the way he told a story about you. When my grandmother passed away this past May she still had a copy of a November 1995 edition hanging on the wall where I was the cover of the sports section. 'A Familiar Scene for the Hometown Cougars' read the Headline as I lined up for the last time my senior year after starting 4 years on our varsity squad. I mean in the course of life its such a non item, minutia. No one outside of my immediate family remember that. Heck id have long forgot it if not for grandmaa's constant remindner ...but 30 years later my grandmother, may God rest her Beautiful Soul, still had that paper thumb tacked up to her wall.

Anyway back at the end of 2015 when the paper shut down, Mr. Graham said it just wouldn't be right this generation of Cougars not having their on field exploits covered. So the then 73 year old decided he needed to learn something new. He needed to learn the internet. He taught himself how to build a website. A website he fully funds himself, and despite no pay for his passion...he still covers every sporting event.

He must have written 10,000 headlines in his career at this point. So last night I was a bit surprised when he walked up to me (our local high school played their 1st round playoff game last night) and said "I was formatting an article on your boy earlier and I had it laid out with the Headline 'A Familiar Scene for the Hometown Cougars' over a picture of Lane...but that just wasnt right. He is his own man and he deserves his own headline. Besides he's a better player than his dad ever dreamed of being"...with that he poked me in the ribs and waddled away. 2 cameras around his neck and the old school notepad and pen in hand. I was astonished he remembered that headline. Awestruck really. I didnt think much of it until my wife just texted me at lunch with a link to his newest posting....just the whole memory really got to me and I wanted to share with someone. Hope y'all dont mind indulging me.

"TOWERING TOWERY" NAMED TO NORTH-SOUTH GAME - Graham Cracker Sports

Last edited by CU Tiger : 11-09-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #18047
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Most excellent stuff CU, most excellent.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:21 PM   #18048
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Most excellent stuff CU, most excellent.

Yup, pretty cool.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:29 PM   #18049
miami_fan
Coordinator

Very cool CU
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:48 PM   #18050
Edward64
Head Coach

Four straight nights of Diwali fireworks (Wed was the most). Is it asking too much to keep your fireworks celebration to one night and on a non-school night?

TBF, the fireworks around me are generally done by 10pm so that is great, but com'on 4 freaking nights (and maybe a 5th tomorrow)?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote