Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-07-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
If this won't draw MJ4H out

...nothing will.

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Seriously, dude. It was Bobby Petrino driving that motorcycle, not you.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:29 AM   #3
cartman
Death Herald

See, here is the real deal, no autotune necessary:

Last edited by cartman : 07-07-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:39 AM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

College football is serious business.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:19 AM   #5
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Last I talked to him he says he's happy being away from the board.

I get it. You put yourself out there, you open yourself up to shots.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Last I talked to him he says he's happy being away from the board.

I get it. You put yourself out there, you open yourself up to shots.

What happened?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
What happened?
Honestly, it boils down to Petrino dropping his bike. MJ4H, and if you read this I love you man, had a lot pinned on the guy. I'm guessing it's two-fold, one he was too caught up in collegiate athletics and the other being he knew that there were people waiting to give him a hard time here.

In truth, I was prepping to rub it in a bit, but there are some out there willing to take it a bit too far.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:01 AM   #8
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Honestly, it boils down to Petrino dropping his bike. MJ4H, and if you read this I love you man, had a lot pinned on the guy. I'm guessing it's two-fold, one he was too caught up in collegiate athletics and the other being he knew that there were people waiting to give him a hard time here.

In truth, I was prepping to rub it in a bit, but there are some out there willing to take it a bit too far.

Oh. Hey MJ4H, I'm a big Razorback fan also and us losing Petrino was major disappointment. Just let it go, nothing we can do there ... besides we need someone to root for Tyler for Heisman.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
What happened?

I guess you could say in terms of Petrino...

(puts on glasses)

He went whole hog.

"YEEAAHHHH."
Old 07-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #10
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Honestly, as I told MJ4H, I don't mind rubbing it in a little with my friends and family (many are from northeast Arkansas), but I felt bad for them. It was a black eye for the program.

Now if it was a program I didn't have anything to do with, say Indiana, I'd be loving it.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #11
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I guess you could say in terms of Petrino...

(puts on glasses)

He went whole hog.

"YEEAAHHHH."

/Thread.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Weird, I thought he was just busy with his son.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #13
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Goodness me. An old guy got with a college student and got caught. Not sure what that has to do with MJ4H to the point where he'd stop posting.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #14
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I think it was just a watershed moment where he realized he was investing too much time in it and he felt he needed to reprioritize.

We all go through moments like that with different things in our life.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #15
Logan
Head Coach

I thought it was about him being really, really adamant that the Petrino thing would blow over and he wouldn't get fired.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #16
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I thought it was about him being really, really adamant that the Petrino thing would blow over and he wouldn't get fired.

He was almost evangelical about his defense of Petrino in all things. I can understand where he is coming from in not coming back, but I wish he would. We've all had those moments when someone we respected let us down in a big way.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #17
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I can never understand people that feels the need to invest their well-being and put so much of their faith into something so temporal and subjective. I suppose it's the same with way with Penn State and the Paterno apologists. Putting one's faith into the wrong thing to the point where you lose perspective is so sad.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #18
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I always lose interest with people when they start by saying, "MY Cowboys" or "MY Yankees", or "MY Heat". You are a fan whose players do not even know you. Enjoy backing a team but making it your identity is misplaced.

Gotta go, MY little league Cowboys are doing weigh ins today!!
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Last edited by Senator : 07-07-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #19
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I always like when people say "We won. We played well." Did you actually play? No. Did you actually go to school there? No. Ok, then shut the hell up about this "we."
Old 07-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #20
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

Gotta go, MY little league Cowboys are doing weigh ins today!!

I AM JEALOUS. Send me some videos of the games, this year, would ya?
Old 07-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #21
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I really don't understand why people get so invested in the sports teams of colleges they didn't attend. Maybe if your school didn't have a sports or something, I guess. I see dorks around my college wearing OSU crap and Pitt crap and (lesser now) PSU crap. We have a freaking Div 1AA team even.

I also pass by all kinds of shit named for Jim Tressell every day.

Last edited by stevew : 07-07-2012 at 04:50 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #22
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I always like when people say "We won. We played well." Did you actually play? No. Did you actually go to school there? No. Ok, then shut the hell up about this "we."

Even if you went to school there or live in its vicinity, why would you make that so much of your identity? Having a rooting interest is fine but to make you lose perspective and objecticity are not.

For example, I have my favorite bands and singers but I don't love every one of their songs. And I can understand why some do not like my favorite bands and singers and that's cool.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #23
Logan
Head Coach

I find the people that get riled up about others using "we" when they reference the teams they root for to be pretty sad.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #24
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Is this the thread where we complain about fans that wear jerseys with their own name on it?
Old 07-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #25
Buccaneer
Head Coach

No, it became something about a person who could do no right and when said person gets to "your" team, could do no wrong.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #26
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I really don't understand why people get so invested in the sports teams of colleges they didn't attend.

FU!

Having parents intensely interested in the ACC and having numerous relatives and family friends making a big deal about making sure I had more than enough Carolina Blue clothing when I was 4-7 years old made quite an impression I suppose.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #27
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Is this the thread where we complain about fans that wear jerseys with their own name on it?

Hey, those Eddie George jerseys were on sale for insane prices. And I've always liked light blue.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #28
molson
General Manager

I wonder what it would take for people to start turning away from big-time college sports a little just because it can be so scummy. The Sandusky thing has made me feel like that a little, that this whole culture is too big and ridiculous (well its a combination of that, and just me getting older and grumpier).

Maybe if an assistant coach murders some recruit for going to another school. Which I don't think is that far-fetched.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #29
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
FU!

Having parents intensely interested in the ACC and having numerous relatives and family friends making a big deal about making sure I had more than enough Carolina Blue clothing when I was 4-7 years old made quite an impression I suppose.

But at least that is a tangible connection. I grew up a Rutgers fan going to games because my dad went there even though I went to Washington and my allegiances are there as well. The idiots are the UNC fans I know out here who have absolutly no connection to the school.

As for the use of "WE" I have no problem with it. To me that in itself doesn't show a lack of perspective. Letting a loss or something happen off the field literally ruin your life for a period of time does. I was pissed when Plaxico shop himself, but I moved on with my life.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #30
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I don't believe that MJ let this 'ruin' his life...instead I think he decided he wouldn't let it. He, I'm presuming here, decided he needed less of 'x' and more of 'y'.

I would find it hard to get to that point in life in regards to the University of Tennessee, but I did find that point in regards to coaching football. With the birth of Davin, I'm taking at least this year off. I wouldn't be surprised at all if I took the next 7-10 years off to spend more time with him and my wife until he is ready to play. If he doesn't want to play, I may not coach again for an even longer period of time.

I had a dozen people tell me, "oh there's no way he can sit out a year", but camps are rolling in and I'm still home happily changing diapers. I had a number of youth programs and a high school call about interest in taking a position or team, but I declined. One guy told me, "You're going to want out of that house when the baby gets there". I have found the opposite to be true. I found out that I don't ever want to leave.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #31
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
With the birth of Davin, I'm taking at least this year off. I wouldn't be surprised at all if I took the next 7-10 years off to spend more time with him and my wife until he is ready to play. If he doesn't want to play, I may not coach again for an even longer period of time.

I had a dozen people tell me, "oh there's no way he can sit out a year", but camps are rolling in and I'm still home happily changing diapers. I had a number of youth programs and a high school call about interest in taking a position or team, but I declined. One guy told me, "You're going to want out of that house when the baby gets there". I have found the opposite to be true. I found out that I don't ever want to leave.

I have been like that. I was coaching my nephew when my son was born. My son has been running around my brothers and my football fields since he could walk. Now, this is his first season to play, and if he tells me at the end of it, he doesn't like it, then we will go do something he does. It is about him now, and that is fine by me.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #32
Poli
FOFC Survivor

So now you see why I need to live the 16 power through you.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #33
TroyF
Coordinator

And this is where I say that 90% of the people who say "my team" are doing it as shorthand for "the team I cheer for" and not "I was the one who drafted that player and then threw the TD pass"

I've worked hard over the past few years to say "The Rockies suck ass" instead of "my Rockies suck ass," simply because I hate getting into this stupid debate. Around friends, it's "we suck right now" not "the Colorado Rockies, the team I cheer for, sucks right now"

I understand there are the other 10 percent and those people need some mental help, but really, you think them not saying "we" would really make a meaningful difference in the long term and do you really think that everyone who says "I'm glad we won" is so invested in their team that they can't separate fandom from reality?

Sorry, I don't get it.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #34
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Well said, Troy. Haven't heard it put that way before. I like the shorthand reference.

Gold star, my friend.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #35
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I am very heartened to hear of the priorities of family over sports (or anything else that doesn't really matter). I sacrificed a lot when my son was born, changing my lifestyle and ending a business.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #36
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
But at least that is a tangible connection. I grew up a Rutgers fan going to games because my dad went there even though I went to Washington and my allegiances are there as well. The idiots are the UNC fans I know out here who have absolutly no connection to the school.

Everyone loves a winner!

I'll actually contribute something. I grew up with ties to Wisconsin (dad's school), Michigan (mom's school), and Wake Forest (closest D1 school to where I grew up, went to games -- don't hate me, Radii). UNC came into the picture when I started writing them checks for schoolin'.

The funny thing about that slate of schools -- if I didn't have any connection to them, they'd be some of the last teams I'd pull for, as an underdog guy. But the bonds have grown to where "we" is the shorthand reference when I'm on good terms with a team ("they" being the distancing language when UNC lays down against Kansas or Wisconsin football blows a late lead, for example). That usage of pronouns is a funny thing with roots in in-group/out-group aspects of social psychology, but I think we can pretty much surmise that as participants in this conversation.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #37
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I would also say that as a fan you are very much part of the team and have a right to say "we." Obviously you aren't making personnel decisions, but as a fan you contribute to the culture of the franchise, you contribute financially, at the games you contribute to the ambiance.

For many of us sports is a way we spend time with family. Going to games, watching games, or talking about games. Some of my best memories of being a kid were staying up to watch Yankee games with my parents. asking my dad about rules, players, etc...

This afternoon Me, my Father in Law, and my son ( kind of) watched the Mets game. I considered it time well spent. I am never going to get to high or low about what happens with my teams, but I do consider myself part of the franchise as a loyal fan.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #38
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I am never going to get to high or low about what happens with my teams,

And that's the difference between you and the fanatics that cannot have perspective or judgements, and act as apologists for every action, coach or player. Perhaps, as Troy said, it's just the 10% but we're talking about one here as well as in the Sandusky thread.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #39
Flasch186
Coordinator

What pisses me off is how bad Matt Jones sucked for my...ahem, the Jags. Fuck he sucked. But I digress.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:40 PM   #40
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
And that's the difference between you and the fanatics that cannot have perspective or judgements, and act as apologists for every action, coach or player. Perhaps, as Troy said, it's just the 10% but we're talking about one here as well as in the Sandusky thread.

1) I think on a sports fans board, you are going to find a lot of people closer to taking it a little over the top.

2) With the Penn St thread, I am actually having a difficult time. I never liked Penn St. Always thought Paterno was a crazy old guy who could end up in a bathrobe screaming at cars going by his house too fast. That said, it's easy to say "I won't cheer for Lebron James or Tiger Woods because they are worthless pieces of human garbage" (relax noop, You can love Lebron, I can hate him, I know I just took that over the top, you can deal with that, right?) It's a lot different when the foundation of the team you cheered for is crushed to the core. Again, I can't come to grips with this, I can't even imagine how I would feel as a Penn St. fan.

3) I haven't paid attention to MJ4H, but I'm not sure how he was shocked at Petrino. The guy has never been a good guy and I am a little surprised he didn't see a train wreck ending with that coach.

Family is more important than sports or computer games. Thankfully, I really haven't dealt with people who think or act otherwise. When I just can't handle a sports story, I just avoid watching it. (my interest in the NBA will continue to fall apart until Lebron AND David Stern are out of the league for example)

I hope MJ just needed a break from things for awhile. Still, I don't think this is the norm. When someone says "my team" my first thought isn't to think they are a raving lunatic who thinks they own the team or puts sports ahead of family. To each his own. . .
Old 07-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #41
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
What pisses me off is how bad Matt Jones sucked for my...ahem, the Jags. Fuck he sucked. But I digress.

Well, at least you have Blaine Gabbert to pick up the pieces.........right?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #42
Flasch186
Coordinator

Fuck me.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #43
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
1) I think on a sports fans board, you are going to find a lot of people closer to taking it a little over the top.

2) With the Penn St thread, I am actually having a difficult time. I never liked Penn St. Always thought Paterno was a crazy old guy who could end up in a bathrobe screaming at cars going by his house too fast. That said, it's easy to say "I won't cheer for Lebron James or Tiger Woods because they are worthless pieces of human garbage" (relax noop, You can love Lebron, I can hate him, I know I just took that over the top, you can deal with that, right?) It's a lot different when the foundation of the team you cheered for is crushed to the core. Again, I can't come to grips with this, I can't even imagine how I would feel as a Penn St. fan.

3) I haven't paid attention to MJ4H, but I'm not sure how he was shocked at Petrino. The guy has never been a good guy and I am a little surprised he didn't see a train wreck ending with that coach.

Family is more important than sports or computer games. Thankfully, I really haven't dealt with people who think or act otherwise. When I just can't handle a sports story, I just avoid watching it. (my interest in the NBA will continue to fall apart until Lebron AND David Stern are out of the league for example)

I hope MJ just needed a break from things for awhile. Still, I don't think this is the norm. When someone says "my team" my first thought isn't to think they are a raving lunatic who thinks they own the team or puts sports ahead of family. To each his own. . .

With the Penn State thing I hope that if something similar happened with WVU I'd be able to accept the reality of the situation. If not in the first couple of months after allegations like that hit then at least by the time any court decision is handed down. There reaches a certain point where the evidence is so overwhelming that you have to a take a step back and accept it for what it is rather than burying your head in the sand and claim it's a conspiracy by the media or the board of trustees.

With MJ4H, he seems like a really good guy. However, when you come to to a sports board that isn't dedicated to one team and you're that much of a homer when things get rough for your school you have to accept the fact that you're going to get a hard time over it. Isn't this the 2nd time he's left the board because of Petrino? That piece of shit isn't worth getting that bent out of shape over.

The "we" thing. I never understood why people get annoyed by its use. I don't see how anyone could rationalize coming to text sim board to discuss games, sports, politics, and news with complete strangers as any less ridiculous.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #44
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post

You know I was born and raised in Syracuse and am a fan of SU. I am disgusted by the acts that Fine was accused with and the SU Athletic Department and Coach JB could've covered up like they did at PSU. If that results in firing JB, whatever. If that results the death penalty (taking it an extreme), so be it. I do not have any difficulties with it. That probably does not make me a true "fan" but it does make me a better human being.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #45
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I think the "we" thing is context-sensitive. I find myself trying to avoid saying it in online discussions and the like because the context is speaking with strangers and "we" doesn't identify my team usually. However, if I'm talking to my wife or a co-worker or a friend who knows the context, then I'll usually lapse into "we" as a shorthand of the team.

The other context point is when someone's a braggart/jerk about his team. At that point, any use of "we" is pretty much considered offensive regardless of company involved. In other words, just about any time someone uses it in conjunction with "Yankees" or "Tar Heels", for example.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:45 PM   #46
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
I think the "we" thing is context-sensitive. I find myself trying to avoid saying it in online discussions and the like because the context is speaking with strangers and "we" doesn't identify my team usually. However, if I'm talking to my wife or a co-worker or a friend who knows the context, then I'll usually lapse into "we" as a shorthand of the team.

The other context point is when someone's a braggart/jerk about his team. At that point, any use of "we" is pretty much considered offensive regardless of company involved. In other words, just about any time someone uses it in conjunction with "Yankees" or "Tar Heels", for example.

That's about right. I can see "we" when you are among your friends who all follow the same team. But among people who are fans of all sorts of teams it just seems strange.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #47
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Any use of "we" is pretty much considered offensive regardless of company involved. In other words, just about any time someone uses it in conjunction with "Yankees" or "Tar Heels", for example.

I feel like getting the Triangle-area FOFCers together for UNC/State games would be a good time.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:46 AM   #48
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
You know I was born and raised in Syracuse and am a fan of SU. I am disgusted by the acts that Fine was accused with and the SU Athletic Department and Coach JB could've covered up like they did at PSU. If that results in firing JB, whatever. If that results the death penalty (taking it an extreme), so be it. I do not have any difficulties with it. That probably does not make me a true "fan" but it does make me a better human being.

I'm not even talking about current/future results Bucc. Human nature is that you think back to all the times you cheered for those people and most peoples first gut reactions are to defend the things they hold dear to them. I cheered for John Elway his entire career. I have an autographed picture with him in the helicoptor against the Packers in the Super Bowl.

If I find out that he had covered up things like Paterno, it would shake me to the core.

I would still be a functioning adult. I would love my wife and go home to her every night. I wouldn't drink myself into a stupor. I wouldn't commit suicide or go harm myself in anyway. i'd also stay away from message boards and discussions about the topic. It would hurt. I DO care about my favorite teams and favorite players. I can do this and still have perspective.

I would be thinking about that picture (obviously, it wouldn't be on my wall anymore) I'd be thinking how great I felt when Pat Bowlen said "This ones for John" I'd be looking for any nugget showing it may not be true. (which is why I would stay off message boards and avoid conversations about it, I would look like an idiot talking about it right away. I would not be in the right state to talk about it)

I still find the Syracuse stuff baffling. I think Jimmy B. should have been fired for his comments, but find the stories by Fine's accusers more than a little untrustworthy. Just an ugly situation.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #49
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #50
cartman
Death Herald

Admit it, MJ4H. This thread is really what brought you back, right? At least the first and third posts.