Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
booradley
High School Varsity

Best SQL book for a beginner

So, lucky me. I now need to teach myself SQL for my job. Is there a particular resource (book, online tutorial, etc) that particularly stands out as useful for a beginner? FML. Thanks in advance ...

booradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Antmeister
Pro Starter

For online tutorials, I usually like going to lynda.com
I have been using them off and on for years and they are usually very good if you need to learn something quickly. In the area you are looking for they have an SQL training course and also lessons on SQL Server. Lynda runs about $25 a month (without materials) and $37.50 (including materials). However this gives you access to their entire library. You will have to determine if this is overkill for you.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
booradley
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
For online tutorials, I usually like going to lynda.com
I have been using them off and on for years and they are usually very good if you need to learn something quickly. In the area you are looking for they have an SQL training course and also lessons on SQL Server. Lynda runs about $25 a month (without materials) and $37.50 (including materials). However this gives you access to their entire library. You will have to determine if this is overkill for you.

Thanks. Just what my company will like. Cheap.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Pluralsight.com is another fantastic resource for all kinds of programming-related learning. A quick search on SQL yields a lot of choices. You can try for free, too, which helps to decide if any of the courses are what you are looking for.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola

Specific to basic learning I would start with these two courses I think:
SQL Server: Transact-SQL Basic Data Retrieval - Online Training Course for .NET Developers

SQL Server: Transact-SQL Basic Data Modification - Online Training Course for .NET Developers
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
Drake
assmaster

SQL Server, MySQL or Oracle/PL-SQL?

There's not a huge difference, but enough to be annoying (I.e., auto number vs. sequence, etc.)
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
cuervo72
Head Coach

I still reference my Transact-SQL Fast Track to Sybase (Fast Track to Adaptive Server? Eh, something like that) course book. That and I do a lot of online searches for specific query scenarios.

Ant reminds me, our company does lynda.com. I should see if there's anything good there for me to take.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 12-03-2012 at 05:57 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
SQL Server, MySQL or Oracle/PL-SQL?

There's not a huge difference, but enough to be annoying (I.e., auto number vs. sequence, etc.)

+1. It might help knowing how the SQL is going to be used.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
Joe
Pro Starter

I always give our new people the book Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
booradley
High School Varsity

Basically I'll be tasked with moving our sales data from existing Microsoft Access databases to some sort of SQL environment, for which we now have a dedicated server. I'll then maintain the SQL data warehouse (if that's the proper term), create both ad hoc queries as well as some sort of data query tool(s) to be used by certain end users. Heaven help me, there.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #11
Drake
assmaster

Er, how big is your company? That's quite a few hats for one guy to wear who has no DBA experience. I assume you're already comfortable with running the server side of things...but I have this terrible feeling that the server lives in the coat closet behind your boss's desk.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
bhlloy
Coordinator

And they expect you to do that in how long exactly, given that you don't even know SQL yet? Mind.... blown.

I concur with Joe, that book is something we'd always give new employees when I was hiring entry level data people. But what's in that book isn't even going to get you 1/10th of a percent to what you need to know to accomplish what you've written above. Anything by O'Reilly we would also use and are pretty good - SQL Cookbook, Learning SQL, I think there is an Introduction to SQL as well? Honestly, I think you probably need some decent week long courses, but those aren't going to be cheap.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #13
Drake
assmaster

I'd look into SAS for your reporting needs. It's still going to have a learning curve, but it's also got a decent support community and isn't outrageously expensive.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #14
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post
Basically I'll be tasked with moving our sales data from existing Microsoft Access databases to some sort of SQL environment, for which we now have a dedicated server. I'll then maintain the SQL data warehouse (if that's the proper term), create both ad hoc queries as well as some sort of data query tool(s) to be used by certain end users. Heaven help me, there.

Move it here - your boss will love you and you won't have to learn SQL. win win

CRM and Cloud Computing To Grow Your Business - Salesforce.com
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #15
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Someday I'll stop being surprised these kinds of stories happen.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #16
cuervo72
Head Coach

Eh, it depends on what the scope is. For my job I have to manage some old MS Access databases, the ASP scripts that interact with them, as well as configuring IIS. We also have Perl and PHP on the same box and were responsible for setting those up too. Also manage the ODBC entries.

I also have had to develop JSP and perl on unix boxes, connecting to sybase databases. More recently I've also been designing the sybase tables I'm using for an application and have been stocking them with data. For the dev server we have JSP on we also have to administer WebLogic, though we have help available if we run into something where we don't know what we're doing (and to take care of production).

Last edited by cuervo72 : 12-03-2012 at 08:04 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #17
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Eh, it depends on what the scope is. For my job I have to manage some old MS Access databases, the ASP scripts that interact with them, as well as configuring IIS. We also have Perl and PHP on the same box and were responsible for setting those up too. Also manage the ODBC entries.

I also have had to develop JSP and perl on unix boxes, connecting to sybase databases. More recently I've also been designing the sybase tables I'm using for an application and have been stocking them with data. For the dev server we have JSP on we also have to administer WebLogic, though we have help available if we run into something where we don't know what we're doing (and to take care of production).

But how much of that was known before taking the job over?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #18
cuervo72
Head Coach

Most of it -- I've been there with the team (actual size of which has fluctuated) for over a dozen years. So we developed in ASP/Access because that's what we had available then. The JSP part is new (and unfortunate, as it came before we were allowed to use php).
Old 12-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #19
Drake
assmaster

Cuervo's job sounds like my job. Difference is that I was the English major hired as a secretary who grew into a programmer, and as of the most recent re-org, now find myself responsible for the web servers, the Oracle servers, keeping the languages up to date, developing and supporting all of the apps, etc., etc. Two weeks ago, I got handed on the same day a major app development that involves building new structures in our data warehouse, project management for a major website redesign, and technical lead on a SQL Server queuing system provided by a 3rd party vendor who's never worked with the university before and involves getting up to speed on swipe card identity management technologies.

I said, "When do you need this?"

They said, "Oh, you've got time. We don't need it in production until the end of December."

I said, "Go fuck yourselves. There's no way."

We're in an "efficiency" cycle, which means my team of 12 was just cut down to 3. We've divvied up the tasks of the 9 people who got moved out between ourselves, and I've informed the Vice Provost that it's all well and good until shit starts breaking, and then we're likely to fail in a catastrophic and highly public way. His response, "Well, we'll just have to hope that doesn't happen."

Welcome to Hollywood. It's a great time to be in IT.

ETA: Oh, forgot to mention that we just got word handed down to us that the university's primary reporting system -- based on SQR, for those of you who know it -- is going to be retired next year, so we're all expected to pitch in and re-write the (literally) thousands of scripts that keep the university's data and reporting systems running. I said, "What are we switching to?" They said, "Whatever you think works best." I said, "Oh, so I can just strip out the SQL and deliver everything as CSV's, then." They said, "Um, no. It'll need to be wrapped in something for end users so they can report up their chains of command. So whatever you use will have to replicate all of the output formats we currently offer natively." I said, "But you're not going to tell me what the preferred tool is?" Their answer, "We don't want to limit anyone, and since there's no plan to get training programs in place on any one tool, we thought it was best to make that a local decision."

Apparently, universities define "efficiency" differently than I do, because it looks more to me like we're just fucking the people who depend on us for mission critical data.

Last edited by Drake : 12-03-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #20
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

Damn. I thought you were just going to be creating queries for data that's already on a server. When you said your company likes cheap, you weren't kidding.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #21
booradley
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Damn. I thought you were just going to be creating queries for data that's already on a server. When you said your company likes cheap, you weren't kidding.

Yup. And here we go. CEO wants me to develop a capital expense presentation for himself, the CFO and the Exec. VP. I mentioned I would likely need at least 1 full-time report - eventually more. This drew a solemn nod. I also mentioned, ahem, that db architects earn in the $100-150k range. This drew a solemner nod. But I have a green light so far. Kinda scared, but moving forward ...