Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #51
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

so.. who still thinks that Carson Palmer trade was a good idea?

bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #52
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post

You mean besides the Bengals?
Old 12-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #53
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
terrell pryor?
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #54
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I love the Palmer trade.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #55
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

When I first saw Schiano's 4th-and-15 idea, I thought up a variant of my own. Instead of a 4th down at the kicking team's 30, the receiving team would get the ball at their own 15 with no down or distance to meet with all other rules still in effect and run a scrimmage play. The receiving team thus gets a free play to start the drive. Once the free play is over, then the drive continues with a normal 1st-and-10 from wherever the free play ended. To introduce a little decision-making, the receiving team can either take the free play from the 15 or instead go ahead and take the ball at the 20 and start with 1st-and-10. Teams leading in fourth quarters of games would probably opt to take the free down in order to use up clock while trailing teams face a risk/reward of either saving seconds and losing a possible big play or using up clock for a play that might get them less than five yards.

To replace onside kicks in this variant, the kicking team can opt to instead give the ball to the receiving team and the receiving team must convert a 4th-and-1 play to retain the ball. So that there can be no dispute about what the line to reach is, the receiving team gets the ball at their own 49 in order to advance it to or past midfield. To make use realistic, the kicking team can only use this option once outside of the last five minutes of the game. Inside of the last five minutes, only the trailing team can use the option, but they can use it anytime.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #56
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I love the Palmer trade.

+1 million

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #57
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

In the CFL kicks include the "No Yards" rule, whereby opponents can't be within 5 yards of the man who picks up the ball or they get flagged. The idea is it encourages returns, but I wonder if it also makes them safer? I say that because it seems that the gunners and other defenders often have to slow up so they don't get inside that 5 yard area, so I wonder if the entire play becomes a bit safer.

I honestly don't know, but if it does maybe the NFL could go that route? The other positive is that it eliminates fair catches, which are boring.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #58
Jacob Typer
n00b

i like the idea.
Jacob Typer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #59
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Tom & Gisele had their baby on Wednesday (little girl). Yet Brady was still at practice on Weds & Thurs, and didn't even mention it to the media. Think this guy isn't focused & hungry still?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #60
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Tom & Gisele had their baby on Wednesday (little girl). Yet Brady was still at practice on Weds & Thurs, and didn't even mention it to the media. Think this guy isn't focused & hungry still?

I think he just wants to keep his personal life as private as he can. There's no doubt he still wants to win though.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #61
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
When I first saw Schiano's 4th-and-15 idea, I thought up a variant of my own. Instead of a 4th down at the kicking team's 30, the receiving team would get the ball at their own 15 with no down or distance to meet with all other rules still in effect and run a scrimmage play. The receiving team thus gets a free play to start the drive. Once the free play is over, then the drive continues with a normal 1st-and-10 from wherever the free play ended. To introduce a little decision-making, the receiving team can either take the free play from the 15 or instead go ahead and take the ball at the 20 and start with 1st-and-10. Teams leading in fourth quarters of games would probably opt to take the free down in order to use up clock while trailing teams face a risk/reward of either saving seconds and losing a possible big play or using up clock for a play that might get them less than five yards.

To replace onside kicks in this variant, the kicking team can opt to instead give the ball to the receiving team and the receiving team must convert a 4th-and-1 play to retain the ball. So that there can be no dispute about what the line to reach is, the receiving team gets the ball at their own 49 in order to advance it to or past midfield. To make use realistic, the kicking team can only use this option once outside of the last five minutes of the game. Inside of the last five minutes, only the trailing team can use the option, but they can use it anytime.

What's the advantage of this variation? It just seems like taking Schiano's idea and making it needlessly complex.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #62
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I think he just wants to keep his personal life as private as he can. There's no doubt he still wants to win though.

Oh I have no doubt he wants to keep his personal life private. I totally support that, and frankly I think most people around here have been great about giving him the space to do that and not hounding him.

I just thought that showed a ton of dedication to be at practice on Weds & Thurs given that.

Surprisingly, it's the same for a lot of athletes around here (perhaps more than you expect given the reputation of our media).
Old 12-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #63
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

That's a weird way to put it. I thought the media asks the questions. Did they ask him about it, and he didn't comment on it? Is the expectation that he would tell some reporter about it out of the blue?
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #64
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
That's a weird way to put it. I thought the media asks the questions. Did they ask him about it, and he didn't comment on it? Is the expectation that he would tell some reporter about it out of the blue?

I imagine somebody probably asked him about it - they were saying during last week's game that it was due any day. I don't know - I haven't read the transcripts or anything

Anyways - not so much focused on his privacy, which I'm totally all for.

Just more thought it was pretty intense that she apparently had the kid at some point on Weds and he was at practice on Weds & Thurs.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #65
sabotai
General Manager

Eagles Concerned By Nick Foles Asking About Best Ways To Tear ACL | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #66
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I imagine somebody probably asked him about it - they were saying during last week's game that it was due any day. I don't know - I haven't read the transcripts or anything

Just more thought it was pretty intense that she apparently had the kid at some point on Weds and he was at practice on Weds & Thurs.

Eh some may take an opposite view but to each his own.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #67
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Considering Simmons brought up a point about coaches after the age of 55, I wouldn't expect him to turn things around. I think he's tapped.

Didn't Coughlin win two Super Bowls after 55?
Old 12-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #68
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Considering he is 66, I would say yes. Even Belichick went to the SB at 59. Shanahan is 60 and you know he's sticking around. I can't remember the specifics about the article, but I do think it does get much harder for coaches as they get older. My Dad is 67 and he forgets stuff at a decent rate.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #69
Danny
Head Coach

It makes sense that on average, it will be much more difficult for coaches as they get older, but there are individual differences and exceptions. There are people who are still sharp in their 60's and 70's, it's just not what is typical.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:27 AM   #70
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The NFL is leaving a considerable amount of money on the table by not realigning and reclassifying teams in different divisions in order to create more frequent popular match ups. For example, the Steelers and Cowboys play 1 time every 4 years. In the same time, the Steelers play the Bengals 8 times. The Packers and, say, the Pats are the same way.

Then even if you have two really good teams in the same conference, they can play one time per year at the maximum(example Colts/Pats of the last 10 years).

All I'm saying is that the type of matchups that we want to see more often could easily be created. The amount of money generated by these type of games would probably outweigh any cons. The teams that draw ratings should face each other on TV a lot more often than they do and this package has to be worth even more than the existing ones.

Last edited by stevew : 12-08-2012 at 01:29 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:39 AM   #71
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I think the alignment is fine the way it is. Cowboys/Giants/Eagle/Redskins combine for much more of any kind of rivalry games than Cowboys/Steelers would, it's not the 70's. Packers/Pats? That's not even a rivalry?

There are only 16 games. You're not going to have the top teams playing each other constantly each season. It is what it is. Plus, top teams change season after season. Especially with free agency where teams can go from basement dweller to contender in one season (or the other way around).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:52 AM   #72
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If Jim Harbaugh is Screech's cousin, that also means that John Harbaugh is as well.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:57 AM   #73
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
What I'd actually love to see is Bill Belichick deciding to just keep the ball and try the 4th-and-15 every time he scores, and just completely give up on defense altogether. Their odds of stopping someone from the 30 are about the same as their odds of stopping them from anywhere else, and he'll get just enough extra possessions out of the 4th-and-15 tries to make it worth it.

Come to think of it, I'd love to see him just start onsides kicking every kickoff right now.
This year? When we have a legit front 7 and (possibly) a competent secondary (after we traded for Talib and Dennard stepped up)? (2-3 years ago, absolutely would have agreed with you.)
Quote:

Maybe he just hates his kids. (Or more likely what goes on inside the lines has very little to do with what happens in a players personal life.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-08-2012 at 03:58 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #74
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Maybe he just hates his kids. (Or more likely what goes on inside the lines has very little to do with what happens in a players personal life.)

Wasn't a criticism at all, just an observation that he's hungry.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #75
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I think the alignment is fine the way it is. Cowboys/Giants/Eagle/Redskins combine for much more of any kind of rivalry games than Cowboys/Steelers would, it's not the 70's. Packers/Pats? That's not even a rivalry?

There are only 16 games. You're not going to have the top teams playing each other constantly each season. It is what it is. Plus, top teams change season after season. Especially with free agency where teams can go from basement dweller to contender in one season (or the other way around).

The current scheduling process matches the top conference teams up pretty well year after year. Like the pats play the ravens, steelers, colts, broncos a lot year after year
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #76
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post

The current scheduling process matches the top conference teams up pretty well year after year. Like the pats play the ravens, steelers, colts, broncos a lot year after year

Why are you ranting at me? I think we agree if I am reading you right.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #77
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Perhaps he's ranting with you?
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #78
molson
General Manager

I like how there's three kinds of NFL rivalries - the every-year division rivalries, the conference rivalries that can turn into twice-a-year rivalries when teams are finishing in first place and facing each other in the playoffs year after year (like Colts/Pats), and the intraconference rivalries that are rarer events but have the potential to culminate in a super bowl (Cowboys/Steelers, and more recently, Pats/Giants). I'd change a lot about the schedule/alignment in every other sport, but not football, I think its perfect.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #79
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

what the hell is that thing.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:38 AM   #80
mckerney
Coordinator

Looking forward for this season being over so the Vikings can start next years Suck For Johnny Football campaign.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #81
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
That rule change is something that has apparently been discussed before. 4th-and-15 converts as often as an onsides kick, and punts from there average out to where kickoffs would average to. But it gets rid of 20 guys charging at each other full tilt, so is safer.

This is now 4th and 15 against a defense that is in theory tired now from having a scoring drive against them instead of a special teams group out there for one play. I would think that would increase the percentage some.

How many major injuries have there been on kickoffs?

How many receivers get hurt on crossing patterns? Maybe they should outlaw that play.

Quarterbacks are getting hurt when sacked, maybe we should just give them a flag to wear and the defenders pull that instead of tackling.

Blitzing really opens up potential injury with too many defenders to block, maybe that should be outlawed.

Exactly where will it end?
Old 12-09-2012, 01:00 AM   #82
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Looking forward for this season being over so the Vikings can start next years Suck For Johnny Football campaign.

As much as I enjoy watching the Texas A&M games because of his play I don't really see his game translating to the pros for some reason. Hopefully I'm wrong but I am seeing Tebow part 2.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:01 AM   #83
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
As much as I enjoy watching the Texas A&M games because of his play I don't really see his game translating to the pros for some reason. Hopefully I'm wrong but I am seeing Tebow part 2.

After watching Christian Ponder for two years I'm willing to settle for anyone who can throw the ball 5 yards.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:34 AM   #84
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
After watching Christian Ponder for two years I'm willing to settle for anyone who can throw the ball 5 yards.

Good point.

Don't get me wrong, would love to see him do well as a pro if he can be as exciting to watch.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #85
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

How many players have been paralyzed on non-kickoff plays over the last 2 or 3 decards?

Quote:
How many receivers get hurt on crossing patterns? Maybe they should outlaw that play.

Or make it illegal to hit a defenseless receiver, as they are doing.

Quote:
Quarterbacks are getting hurt when sacked, maybe we should just give them a flag to wear and the defenders pull that instead of tackling.

Or make it illegal to hit them below the waist so they don't tear up their knee when hit with the foot planted for the throw, or cold-cock them in the head with your helmet, as they are doing.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #86
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
This is now 4th and 15 against a defense that is in theory tired now from having a scoring drive against them instead of a special teams group out there for one play. I would think that would increase the percentage some.

Blitzing really opens up potential injury with too many defenders to block, maybe that should be outlawed.

Exactly where will it end?

This is where I'm pretty much at. Football is a fast and violent game, where players have to make decisions in a split-second. I don't think you can legislate the speed and instinct out of the game.

As far as defenseless receivers go, I've see way too many flags thrown where a defender is coming in low and draws a flag because the receiver put his head down. These are flags that are going to have to start going both ways or your essentially giving offenses fifteen free yards whenever they need it.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #87
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Headed down to the bengals game, hope to see a thorough thrashing of the cowgirls.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #88
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
This is where I'm pretty much at. Football is a fast and violent game, where players have to make decisions in a split-second. I don't think you can legislate the speed and instinct out of the game.

As far as defenseless receivers go, I've see way too many flags thrown where a defender is coming in low and draws a flag because the receiver put his head down. These are flags that are going to have to start going both ways or your essentially giving offenses fifteen free yards whenever they need it.

Completely agree. It's a violent game, players know that going in.

The biggest problem is that players are going for the knockout blow far too often instead of the tackle as they want to end up making the highlight shows.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #89
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Headed down to the bengals game, hope to see a thorough thrashing of the cowgirls.

I hope you get your wish.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #90
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Must be awesome you can walk up and get tickets whenever you want.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #91
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

jets/jags or rams/bills. good times here in upstate ny
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #92
Jas_lov
College Starter

The Vikings have learned from last week and aren't throwing it on 1st down in the redzone anymore. Just keep giving it to AP. Cutler isn't as good as Rodgers to overcome AP's dominance.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #93
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I know Urlacher is out, but Bears have given up a quick 14 points to team that doesn't have a QB.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #94
kingfc22
Head Coach

How is that roughing the passer in the BAL/WAS game?

Ngata hit RG3 right in the chest!
Old 12-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #95
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

I swear to god, if RG3 takes more hits like that staying behind the LOS and passing, he's going to get hurt. The Redskins need to run him downfield more.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #96
General Mike
Pro Starter

whoever is announcing this Jets game(PBP) is terrible.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #97
mckerney
Coordinator

The Vikings should just give up on passing all together. Ponder was lucky to have a play whistled dead before he fumbled the ball while trying to flip it away after he walked into a sack. AP already has 75 yards and 2 TDs.

Last edited by mckerney : 12-09-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #98
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just looked it up out of curiosity ... as of kickoff today, the Falcons have played only one team (Den) with a winning record. They've played only 3 that are .500. I knew the schedule had been soft but damn.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #99
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
whoever is announcing this Jets game(PBP) is terrible.

Kevin Harlan.

Also, Sanchez is sacked, fumbles the ball away.

Last edited by tucker rocky : 12-09-2012 at 12:41 PM.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #100
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Just looked it up out of curiosity ... as of kickoff today, the Falcons have played only one team (Den) with a winning record. They've played only 3 that are .500. I knew the schedule had been soft but damn.

The winning percentage of the Falcon's opponents is .396.