Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #201
revrew
Team Chaplain

WEEK 2: Baltimore (0-1) at Chicago (1-0)

The first half started out very slow, but in the second half, QB Fernando Windsor found new WR Gene Nelms, completing 6 passes in 6 attempts for a pair of scores. The 10th-year former Cowboy receiver has 3 touchdowns in his first 2 games and may be emerging as a QB favorite.

On defense, a team effort bottled the Ravens up on 3rd and 4th down, killed drives and never even let them in our red zone. SS Marvin Schwartz led the way with 13 tackles and a forced fumble. This one was never really close, as Bears win big, 30-3.

WEEK 3: Arizona (0-2) at Chicago (2-0)

On offense, Fernando Windsor was pretty pedestrian, but WR Gene Nelms again caught all the balls thrown his way and has caught 86.7 percent of his targets this season. RB Kelly Hayes provided the only spark for our offense, taking off from our 2 yard line for a searing, 98-yard touchdown run in the 2nd quarter.

As expected, the Cardinals behind star QB Isaac Gilmore took to the air, throwing the ball 59 times and running it 12. But the defense put up a Herculean effort. For starters, their top WR was targeted 22 times, but only hauled in 7 catches for 43 yards. Part of the reason was the flyswatters in the secondary. CB Donny Meadows and CB Barry Westbrook both batted down 3 passes, as did SLB Bucky Beaver (Yes, that's his real name). 12 total passes defensed for the team. Meanwhile, the pass rush was relentless, led by RDE Doug Conley and Mr. Beaver again. Despite a very poor offensive showing, the defense shut down one of the best QBs in the game and get us the hard-fought victory, 10-6.

The rough news, however, is that we lost 2 players to injury, not only for this year, but much of next year as well. Rookie RB Omar Duncan wasn't much of a loss, but FS Mitch Flynn suffered a horrendously ugly compound leg fracture. The latter is a tough pill to swallow and may mean we end up starting our 5th-round draft pick at FS.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #202
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Bucky Beaver (Yes, that's his real name) best have a Bears coaching position waiting for him when he retires. Such a man cannot be lost.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #203
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Bucky Beaver (Yes, that's his real name) best have a Bears coaching position waiting for him when he retires. Such a man cannot be lost.

Does the back of his jersey have "Yes, that's his real name" or is that just more in the program and for announcers?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #204
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Word is, a judge refused to allow him to legally change his last name to "Beaver (Yes, that's his real name)".
Old 12-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #205
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Rod Smart should help him out

SI

Old 12-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #206
revrew
Team Chaplain

OK, you guys are funny. Love it. Keep it comin'.

Week 4: Chicago (3-0) at Washington (1-3)

Very solid outing for the offense today, with the exception of a pair of fumbles in the third quarter. QB Fernando Windsor posted a solid 102.1 rating, completing 67% of his passes for 200 yards, a TD and no INTs. That's about what we hope/expect out of him. Runningback by committee averaged 4.45 per carry, which isn't bad either. On an intriguing side note, WR Gene Nelms caught both of the passes in which he was targeted, keeping up quite the streak of catching everything thrown his way.

Defense, however, was - as expected - the name of the game in D.C. Holding the 'Skins to 238 total yards and never once allowing them into the Bear red zone, MLB Dexter Lucas led the team with 7 tackles, RDE Doug Conley racked up 2 sacks and 4 hurries, and CB Donny Meadows picked off a pass. Textbook Bears football, like I wrote the script for this one. Bears win, 20-10.

QUARTERLY REPORT: (4-0), #3 in Power Ratings

RushingO: #6
PassingO: #25
ScoringO: #8

RushingD: #3
PassingD: #21
ScoringD: #2

Turnovers: #16 (+/- 0)

Right where we want to be at this point in the season, but next week: Powerhouse Dallas Cowboys.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #207
revrew
Team Chaplain

WEEK 5: Dallas (4-1) at Chicago (4-0)

Our offense played a grinding game, running 35 times to 31 passes. RB Kelly Hayes was our leading rusher and receiver, as we played a ball-possession scheme. WR Gene Nelms only caught 4 of 7, but is still having a decent season. K Rusty Schafluetzel deserves some props for breaking out of a funk and hitting 4/4 to give us some points on the board.

On defense, MLB Dexter Lucas led the team in tackles again with 8, and we got some pass rush from several sources. But the biggest game came from SB Danny Pretko, stepping it up when we neeeded him most, batting down a pass and grabbing a pick on the final drive of the game to seal the win, 19-13. Dallas was held to only 212 yards total, a testament to the power of this D.

WEEK 6: Detroit (3-3) at Chicago (5-0)

Heckuva game from QB Fernando Windsor! 3 TD passes in the first half, one to each of WR Dean Norwood, WR Gene Nelms and WR Tyrone Lee. Windsor was also 8 of 16 on 3rd down, helping us sustain drives and keep the Lions off the field.

And once again, it was SB Dan Pretko who stepped it up on D, leading the team with 8 tackles and a pass defensed. RDE Doug Conley added a pair of sacks in a bone-crushing defensive effort.

Chicago cruises to easy win, 28-3.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #208
revrew
Team Chaplain

Well, the announcement of FOF 7 takes a little wind out of our sails here, but let's see if we can still win it all in the now "old" game with virtually only defense:

WEEK 7: Chicago (6-0) at NYGiants (5-1)

With a big game on the line, coach smartens up and feeds the ball all day to RB Kelly Hayes. But something is wrong with the speedster. On 28 carries, he only got 70 yards. Having a really, really off year at the worst possible time. He did score a pair of TDs, however. And with the offense balanced well, QB Fernando Windsor stepped it up with a 99.5 QB rating and a pair of TDs, including one to WR Gene Nelms, who caught both balls thrown his way and is still pulling down 77 percent of his targets for the season.

Big props on the day to our special teams, as K Rusty Shafleutzel was a perfect 3/3, P Fred Preston boomed 8 punts at a 47.8 average with 5 inside the 20 and our coverage unit forced 3 return fumbles.

On defense, big day for SLB Bucky Beaver (Yes, that's his real name), who had 9 tackles and 3 passes defensed, and SB Dan Pretko, who also had 3 passes defensed, while never once giving up a completion.

Giants got crushed in this one, as Chicago rolls, 37-3.

WEEK 8: Philadelphia (2-5) at Chicago (7-0)

The running game struggled again in this one, but again QB Fernando Windsor rises to the occasion, throwing a pair of TDs and running in a 3rd. Once again WR Gene Nelms catches every pass thrown his way. The special teams guys had great games again as well.

On defense, the stud of the day was CB Donny Meadows, who racked up 6 tackles, two passes defensed and a pair of INTs. Five separate players registered a sack, 2 more added INTs, and the Bears once again dominate on defense with a big win, 34-3.

MIDWAY REPORT:

The Bears sit at 8-0, and the defense is really rolling right now, allowing no more than 13 points in the last 7 straight games. QB Fernando Windsor is having a solid season, with 14 TDs to 8 INTs. New WR Gene Nelms has been an important part of that, not racking up huge numbers, but catching 80% of his passes for 352 yards and 5 TDs.

It is worrying, however, to see RB Kelly Hayes struggling to only 3.91 yards per carry.

Team rankings:

RushingO: #10 (but we've slipped to #27 in ypc, though perhaps because of nursing big leads).
PassingO: #27
ScoringO: #4 (a testament to our defense and special teams that offense has been poor and still we score)

Turnovers: #11 (+4)

RushingD: #1 (66.5 ypg, despite playing 100% nickel).
PassingD: #7 (this despite being #9 in most passes attempted against, making us #1 in ypa)
Scoring D: #1 and by a good margin, allowing only 8.1 ppg
Old 12-15-2013, 10:07 PM   #209
revrew
Team Chaplain

WEEK 9: Chicago (8-0) at Minnesota (5-3)

Our offense was pretty pedestrian, and even WR Gene Nelms had an off game, only catching 2 of 6 targets. Ouch. K Rusty Schafleutzel missed 3 FGs, all from 50+. But RB Kelly Hayes showed some grit, running for 4 per carry and catching 8 passes, keeping us in the game.

The defense, however, had more than keeping us in the game in mind. Nine different players harrassed the QB, and RDE Doug Conley leveled the QB 5 times. 3 INTs helped stuff their offensive chances, and CB Donny Meadows, who grabbed one of those INTs, also knocked down 3 passes and took one of the picks 82 yards to the house. 8 passes defensed, 3 INTs, and a 77-yard kickoff returnd TD from WR Dean Norwood, and we win the hard way, 24-13.

WEEK 10: Green Bay (2-7) at Chicago (9-0)

Something is wrong with some of our stars. RB Kelly Hayes could only muster 16 yards rushing in this one, and K Rusty Schafleutzel missed 3 FGs for the second consecutive game. That's killer.

The defense as a unit was also slipshod, and we could feel this easy win slipping away. MLB Dexter Lucas gobbled up 12 tackles, but that's actually symbolic of others NOT doing their job. CB Donny Meadows was brilliant again, with 3 passes defensed, none caught, and 1 INT. But it's all for nought when the offense won't put points on the board, and the Bears lose a shocker, 17-14.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #210
revrew
Team Chaplain

WEEK 11: Chicago (9-1) at Cleveland (5-5)

I think the boys were pi$$ed off about last week's loss. The running game is still struggling, but most of it was after a significant lead had already been built. QB Fernando Windsor came out throwing fire, completing 67% of his passes for 3 TDs, 1 pick and an 112 QB rating. WR Gene Nelms got back on track, catching 4 out of 5 for 35 yards and a score.

The defense, however, was even more determined. RDE Doug Conley was a one-man wrecking crew, racking up 2.5 sacks, a blocked pass, 2 hurries, and 3 knockdowns. CB Donny Meadows and SS Marvin Schwartz each added a pick, and the Browns were held to 200 yards offense total. Bears win with vengeance, 31-0.

WEEK 12: Chicago (11-1) at Tampa Bay (4-7)

The offense suddenly caught fire, and they were going to need to in this one. RB Kelly Hayes looked like his old self, rushing for 5.08 per and a pair of scores. QB Fernando Windsor put up 360 yards passing. 4 fumbles, a pick and 2 missed field goals, however, meant every last yard was going to be needed.

And that's where SB Dan Pretko said, "Get on my back, boys, and I'll carry you to victory." The second-year player did his best Dkembe Mutombo impersonation, batting down 5 passes in a dominating, "Not in my house" performance. Rookie S Nathan Contois saw his first action of the season and also batted down a pair of passes, the young safeties roving the middle like a pair of lions.

It was close, but a team effort. Chicago wins, 24-21.

3/4 SUMMARY: Record (12-1)

RushingO: #12 - This decline is seriously worrying me
PassingO: #21
ScoringO: #2

Turnovers: #12 (+4)

RushingD: #2
PassingD: #4
ScoringD: #1

PLAYOFF SCENARIO:

With the win over TBay, we have clinched the division and thus a playoff spot. We have a 2-game lead on the #1 seed, and no team remaining on our schedule currently has a winning record.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #211
revrew
Team Chaplain

WEEK 13: Cincinnati (5-7) at Chicago (11-1)

I have nothing good to say about our offense in this one. QB Fernando Windsor was OK, 1 TD, 1 pick, but this game was entirely placed on the defense's shoulders.

Thankfully, they were up for the job. The Gandalf was in full effect - "You shall not pass!"

The Bengal QB could only complete 20 of his attempted 53 passes, in part because he was under constant pressure from 8 different pass rushers, led by RDE Doug Conley, who had a pair of sacks. Bigger news, however, was the secondary, led by CB Donny Meadows with SIX, count 'em, SIX passes defensed, and SB Dan Pretko who swatted down 3. Rookie FS Dave Rasmussen grabbed his first INT, and the Bengals were going nowhere. Bears win, 13-0.

WEEK 14: Chicago (12-1) at Green Bay (5-8)

What the bloody %$^&$#? Green Bay has our number. I mean not just a little bit, but a LOT. The only team to beat us this year, this time they smoked us, a horrifying, embarrassing loss, 55-0.

I didn't know it was possible for a team to score 55 points on our defense, no matter how beat up we are. But 239 rushing yards and 20 of 29 passing later, the Bears are humiliated.

It didn't help that we piled up a grand total of 114 yards of offense. Total.

How can any team just smack down a 12-1 squad this badly????

Thank goodness we're getting a few key players back from injury next week, but sheesh.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #212
revrew
Team Chaplain

WEEK 15: Chicago (12-2) at Pittsburgh (7-7)

Two more missed FGs made this one a nailbiter, but QB Fernando Windsor kept us in it with a 103.8 QB rating on the day, helped out big time by WR Dean Norwood, the little, 5'9" speedster who caught a whopping 11 of 12 for 128 yards. Meanwhile, RB Kelly Hayes scored 2 TDs, but on only a grand total of 8 yards rushing. Yep, he's looking washed up.

Defensively, SB Dan Pretko came through again, this time with 13 tackles and a pass defensed. DRE Doug Conley did his job, with a sack, two hurries, and 3 knockdowns, the difference in this game coming down to stopping Pittsburgh in the red zone. We did it just enough to win, 24-17.

AND WITH THAT ... we have wrapped up home-field advantage in the playoffs. We're going to be very careful about who we play in this last game, as injuries have been piling up.

WEEK 16: Chicago (13-2) at Detroit (8-7)

Backup QB Earnest Diegel didn't do much in this one, throwing for less than 200 yards and only a 72.5 rating. The offense sputtered for the most part, though P Fred Preston had an outstanding game, dropping 4 of 7 inside the 20 and racking up a net 45.4 ave.

On defense, backup MLB Mercury Brennan had an outstanding game with 14 tackles and a sack, but it wasn't enough, as we lose a throwaway game, 20-17.

Most significantly, the only injury to any starter was to an O-lineman, so we kept the skill players from getting hurt.

SEASON RECAP: 13-3, #1 in power ratings, best record in NFL

RushingO: #20, as the wheels have fallen off the Kelly Hayes bus
PassingO: #25
ScoringO: #4

Turnovers: #19 (-1)

RushingD: #4 - that Green Bay game hurt
PassingD: #13
ScoringD: #1

Some other notes:
We led the league in passes defensed, and finished #3 in PassDefense%.
We surrendered more sacks than any other team in the league
K Rusty Schafluetzel, despite being rated 80/80, had the worst kicking accuracy in the league, converting a miserable 62% of his kicks, though his 11 attempts from beyond 50 led the league.
On the flip side, Fred Preston was the #4 punter in the NFL, so I don't think it a matter of just poor special teams.
Similarly, we were #1 in kick return average, #2 in punt return average and #1 in stuffing kick returns. I don't know what Schafluetzel's problem is.

SEASON STATS:

QB Fernando Windsor looked much better this year, completing 65% of his passes for 3,109 yards, 20 TDs and 12 INTs.

RB Kelly Hayes could only muster 872 yards on a 3.74 per carry clip, but he did knock in 12 TDs. He also led the team with 61 catches.

WR Gene Nelms was the top receiver, grabbing 65% of his passes for 640 yards and 7 scores.

MLB Dexter Lucas led the team with 74 tackles
SLB Bucky Beaver (Yes, that's his real name) was right on Lucas' heels with 72 tackles and also posted an impressive 16 passes defensed.

RDE Doug Conley piled up 12 sacks, 20 hurries and 40 knockdowns, but our other DEs were of little help.

CB Donny Meadows was dynamite, eating up 7 INTs and batting down 22 passes to only 33 catches allowed.

SB Dan Pretko stepped it up this year, getting his first INT, but also coming in third on the team with 64 tackles and second on the squad with 19 passes defensed.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #213
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

moar! but the real challenge will be doing this in MP with the new game
Old 12-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #214
revrew
Team Chaplain

CONFERENCE SEMIFINALS: St. Louis (9-8) at Chicago (13-3)

The Rams are led by a top-notch young QB in Bob Moates, who also helps loosen things up for their #1 in the NFL yards-per-carry rushing average. They also have a frighteningly good DE, Emmanuael Perry, who is just freaky good. Nonetheless, they are susceptible to the pass.

Game on:
The rushing attack came back to life in this one, as RB Kelly Hayes rushed for a 5.13 average on 16 carries and RB Van Mason spelled him with a pair of rushing TDs. QB Fernando Windsor was efficient and avoided making mistakes, giving us a shot at the win. 5 fumbles, however, made things dicey.

The defense was overpowering, however, as 9 players pressured Moates, led by ... who else? RDE Doug Conley, with 1.5 sacks, 3 hurries and a pair of knockdowns. MLB Dexter Lucas had a very solid game, forcing a pair of fumbles and defending 3 passes. But the unlikely hero is rookie FS Dave Rasmussen, who picked off a pair of passes in the victory, 20-10.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #215
revrew
Team Chaplain

NFC CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP: Dallas (12-5) at Chicago (14-3)

We beat Dallas earlier this year in a squeaker, 19-13. The team is led by a solid Oline and superstar RB Nate Sinclair. Their defense, however, is suspect, though superstar Safety Mack Pritchett bats down every pass in sight.

Game on:
The Bears offense in this is a sudden disaster. QB Fernando Windsor throws 3 INTs and K Rusty S$%@$loser misses 4 FGs. FOUR!

Our only hope is that stellar defense of ours. And wouldn't you know it? The boys step up, completely bottling up the Cowboy rushing attack, stuffing Sinclair for only 17 yards on 17 carries.

The game is another low-scoring slugfest, until ...

Until Dallas blocks a punt in the third quarter and scoops it up in the endzone.

The score was just too much, and Bears lose, 13-10.

In hindsight: My gosh. Has a kicker ever hurt his team so bad as Rusty did this year? Just heartbreaking. Dallas went on to win the SuperBowl, and I can't help but think we were the best team in the NFL for the second year straight, only to fail in the playoffs.

Perhaps defense wins games, but NOT championships? I noticed in the IHOF, that was by and large my experience. Good enough to win games, win divisions, but come playoff time ... it just seemed never enough.

Dare we risk the heartache and move on to another season? With FOF7 out now, it is even worth it? What say you, faithful readers? Shall we ride this defense once again and see where it leads?
Old 12-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #216
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yes, but get a better kicker

I'd really like to see if it's possible in a reasonable amount of time (and I don't mean simming like 50 seasons). And it's a fun read.

Time to start making jokes about how he tried to hang himself but missed kicking the chair?

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-30-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:13 PM   #217
revrew
Team Chaplain

Defense year 5:

LOOKING AHEAD:

There remains little that needs to be done with the defense, which is tops in the NFL. Some additional pass rush from the left side might be helpful, especially with the retirement of LDE Ben Erickson, and we're going to need to make a decision on CB Barry Westbrook, who is getting up there in age and after three seasons of averaging 6 picks a year had exactly zero last year.

On offense, the big question is big-ticket RB Kelly Hayes, whose production plummeted last season. Is he worth the price of his contract?

On special teams, improvement is always nice, and we may cut K Rusty Schafluetzel just out of spite, the rotten ba$tard.

1. No coaching changes
2. No franchise designations, as we'll see what Westbrook is asking.
3. FS Dave Rasmussen, the surprise 5th rounder from last year's draft who started most of the season, went to summer league.
4. We are in cap trouble, making Kelly Hayes' contract all the more intriguing.
5. We draft 30th.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #218
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Just read this entire thread...awesome stuff! Love the 4-4 Gandalf defense, great idea and nice to see it works well, too.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:08 PM   #219
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Just read this entire thread...awesome stuff! Love the 4-4 Gandalf defense, great idea and nice to see it works well, too.

Thanks! Love hearing from new fans.

And, meanwhile ...

FA STAGE 1:

K Rusty Schafluetzel and his bloated contract were shipped to Jacksonville for a future 4th. (An extra offensive player!)
MLB Dexter Lucas got capped out to make some room.
DE Lincoln Shannon, entering his 11th year after a disappointing 10th, was let go.
Despite his excellent year last year, P Fred Preston was let go to clear cap space and make room for the sophomore stud who sat out his rookie season.
CB Courtney Murphy, a 2nd round bust from a few years ago, was let go.

TARGETS:
Holy cow, there's a lot of talent out there, which hopefully will bring prices down. Turns out there's a pair of elite-level LDEs available, so we go with the cheaper and younger one:

LDE Fred Boyer, 78/78, out of New England. In his 8th year, he had 10.5 sacks last season and a whopping 56 tackles. Strong in every category, well-rounded but still a star.

To replace Rustly S#%&loser, we attempt to sign:
K Winston Gunn, 78/78, a fifth year man who kicked for the Saints last year, converting 93% of his kicks.

CB Stanley Gionfriddo, 70/70, a zone specialist in only his 6th year and comes cheaper than the 61/61-rated Barry Westbrook. We'd be content to keep Westbrook, but until his contract demands come down, we need to have a backup plan. Gionfriddo is a heckuva backup plan.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #220
revrew
Team Chaplain

EARLY FA:

K Winston Gunn, 78/78, signs with us, and we have to feel good about our kicking squad.

CB Stanley Gionfriddo, however, immediately signs with San Francisco, leaving us to consider our options.We're going to keep an eye on Westbrook, but also extend a cheapo offer to:
CB Corwin Stocz, 51/51, a zone specialist with a keen eye for the INT.

Eventually, we see more come in:
CB Corwin Stocz, 50/50, an outstanding option at the dime, with big zone, PH, and INT ratings.
LDE Fred Boyer, 78/78, rated 87 in PRT and 77 against the run, this guy is a beast. Even if the 8th year player sees a TC drop, he'll still be a big boost to our D-line.

We've extended a contract offer to Westbrook, but he's slow in coming in...

LATE FA:
CB Barry Westbrook returns, and at 61/61, if he can hold those ratings, will continue to start for us, hopefully bounce back after a more mediocre season last year.

We also return some pathetic tackles and receivers to our team, as there weren't really any better options on the FA market, and grab a camp arm QB to compete for the #2 spot.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #221
revrew
Team Chaplain

DRAFT:

We watched in awe as the best player in the draft fell through the first pick, the second, the third, the fourth ...

With such a stacked roster, what do we need with a 1.30 pick? He'll just be a backup. But that guy at the top of the board? Oh, man. Oh, man, oh, man, oh, man.

Couldn't resist. Pulled the ginormous trade.

Send 1.30, 2.30, Next year's 1st, 3rd, last year's wasted pick, S Nathan Contois, to Jacksonville

All for the 1.5

At 1. 5 we select:

DT Jermaine Cassidy, a 6'6, 313 athlete out of SMU, he's rolling 2 reds and 3 blues and bars up the wazoo. Scouts rate this kid 59/86, and man, is he a beast.

And as expected, by the time the 1.30 rolled around, all that was left on the board was Bucky Beaver's (Yes, that's his real name!) backup, which was about as exciting as dirt. I like our trade more and more.

At the 3.30, all the talent is on the offensive side of the board, so we opt to drop down with a trade into the 4th, giving us a pair of 4th round picks (offensive players!), hoping our guy will still be there.

It turns out he is, so with the 4.1, Chicago selects:

C Jeremy Guerra, 6'2, 276 out of Illinois. His only outstanding combine number is a red bar in the bench, the 2nd strongest center in the class. But his bars look very solid and he's a long-snapper to boot. Scouts have him rated 28/69.

At the 4.30, we have some OK options, some long shots, but it's hard to pass up the top-rated player on the board, a QB with 3 blues and decent enough looking bars. Eventually, we'll have to let Fernando Windsor go, so it's not a bad idea to groom the next candidate.

With the 4.30, Chicago selects:
QB Burt Sherman, 6'2, 227 athletic QB with a solid arm out of Baylor. Scouts like him overall but worry he's very, very raw - he's rated 14/52.

With the 5.30, Chicago selects:
T Louis McLane, a 6'0, 305 block of concrete out of California who hit 35 reps on the bench and is an affinity match. Scouts rate him 21/49. He'll need to show us something in camp.

With the 6.30, Chicago selects:
WR Leland Borders, a 5'11, 190-lb flanker out of Boston College. He was productive in college (i.e., good bars), but may not have the elite athleticism (i.e. combines) to play in the NFL. Scouts rate him at 21/47 with a little bit of an upside.

With Mr. Almost Irrelevant, Chicago selects:
DE Jerry Richard, 6'3, 256, out of Auburn. Great bars, ho-hum combines. Scouts think I blew this one: 10/47.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #222
revrew
Team Chaplain

TRAINING CAMP RESULTS

1.5 DT Jermaine Cassidy 59/86 --> 65/84 - Starter
4.1 C Jeremy Guerra 28/69 --> 31/64 - with a hit to our aging starter, Guerra may see some action
4.30 QB Burt Sherman 14/52 --> 17/47 - he actually looks decent, might be worth keeping
5.30 T Louis McLane 21/49 --> 23/48 - ditto
6.30 WR Leland Borders 21/47 --> 25/46 - ditto
7.30 DE Jerry Richard 10/47 --> 14/41 - bye, bye

CB Barry Westbrook fell 9 points to 52/52, creating a real controversy over our starting CB. I think, however, that good ol', patient Dexter Craig (remember Dex Connex?), at 53/53 and our best zone defender, might have just gotten his starting job back.
2nd year, 5th round FS Dave Rasmussen boomed up to 57/69.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #223
revrew
Team Chaplain

PRESEASON 1: New England at Chicago

Rookie WR Leland Borders opened up the scoring with a 41-yard TD haul, and RB Kelly Hayes looked solid, but QB Fernando Windsor threw 3 INTs in a very rusty performance. Borders finished the day with 8 catches on 10 targets for 116 yards, a stellar debut for the youngster.

The defense was just freakin' dominating, holding the Patsies to 1 of 16 on 3rd down and not a single offensive point. SLB Bucky Beaver (Yes, that's his real name) made a name for himself with a pick 6 that frosted a cake win, 30-7.

PRESEASON 2: Chicago (1-0) at San Diego

Rookie QB Burt Sherman got his feet wet by opening the game with a solid drive and TD pass to WR Tyrone Lee, who is having a very solid preseason in the slot, but Sherman looked pretty pedestrian after that. RB Kelly Hayes looked very good and helped put new K Winston Gunn in position for 5/5 on FGs.

The defense was outstanding again, holding the Bolts to only 255 total yards and 2/12 on 3rd down. Our bookend DEs are looking very studly early, and new LDE Fred Boyer got the better of this one with a sack, 3 hurries and 4 knockdowns. Young DT Jermaine Cassidy, whom we traded up for, looked sensational as well in this battle of FGs in which Bears win, 22-20.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #224
revrew
Team Chaplain

PRESEASON 3: Bufffalo at Chicago (2-0)

Our offense in this game was all about slot receiver Tyrone Lee, who gobbled up 10 catches on 14 targets for 152 yards and a score. Lee has often shown he can take over a ballgame, but just as often disappear. Maybe this year he can give us a little more? Backup QB Lamont Paulson gave a better performance than rookie Burt Sherman, which suggests he may be edging out the youngster for the #2 spot.

Young P Jon Shonek showed why we drafted him, dropping 4 of 6 inside the 20.

On defense, the top performer was newcomer CB Corwin Stocz, who batted down 3 passes as the defense shut down the Bills for the final three quarters on a coasting, easy win, 27-7.

PRESEASON 4: Chicago (3-0) vs Kansas City

QB Fernando Windsor had an outstanding warm-up first half, completing 10 of 12 for 132 yards, a TD and a 140.3 rating. Once again, WR Tyrone Lee was the main target. The battle for backup RB is intense. Our backup QB Lamont Paulson, however, played a horrible game.

The defense also played outstanding, not so much from a yardage perspective, but in the 3rd quarter, CB Barry Westbrook returned 28 yards to the house and DT Timothy Emmons rumbled 64 yards for a score on a fumble recovery. The points piled up in yet another easy win, 45-17.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #225
revrew
Team Chaplain

PRESEASON OUTLOOK:

After finishing 13-3 last year and by and large improving in the offseason, nothing less than a Superbowl victory is expected this year. The Lions, Pack and Vikes, however, are on the ascendancy and will make for a tough division. Other opponents are the very tough NFC South, but the only mediocre AFC East.

QB:
Fernando Windsor (42/42) returns for his 4th season. His excellent accuracy and timing need to come into play on first and second down, because he stinks on 3rd down. Last season was his best, with 20 TDs, 12 INTs and an 86.0 rating.

Lamont Paulsen (35/35), who also specializes in accuracy and timing, is the backup for now, but rookie Burt Sherman (17/47) is nipping at his heels.

RB:
Kelly Hayes (44/44) returns for his 6th year, as the blisteringly fast back looks to rebound from a disappointing campaign last year.

Newcomer Bucky Harris (39/39), who also has decent speed but even more power will spell Hayes on short-distance runs.

FB:
Sophomore phenom Kris LeBlond (48/65) catches and blocks, but doesn't add much in the rushing department.

TE:
Patrick Alabaso (43/43) runs decent routes, but hasn't made much of an impact in his 2 previous years with the club. He is a solid long-snapper, however.

The very sure-handed Ted Tillman (35/42), who was drafted in the 5th round 3 years ago, is chomping at the bit.

WR:
Speedy Dean Norwood (38/38) gets the start after catching 70 percent of his targets last year. He's also a decent kick returner.
Tyrone Lee (385/35) will play in the slot and can turn on the jets.
Donnell Ellis (33/33), the current Bears' all-time leading receiver, returns. He's talented, but doesn't run very good routes, and so doesn't make much of an impact.
Keep an eye on rookie Leland Borders (29/46), who looked solid in the preseason, despite being a 6th round pick.

O-line:
Four years ago, C Scottie Wayne (39/48) was our 6th-round pick and gets the nod for the first time this year.
LT Justin Isakson (37/37) gets his first chance to start as well.
Giant LG Donnie Hawk (43/43), a 6'5, 354-pound monster, actually has quick feet and looks to be our best pass-rush stuffer.
RG Rick Parliman (45/45) boomed after he was picked up in FA last year and may be our best on the line.
RT Randal Almonte (31/31) has been with us since the beginning of these experience and lends cohesion. His BPct, despite his ratings, has been consistently in the 40s his entire career.

P:
Jon Shonek (63/85) gets the nod for the 1st time, as he was our 3rd round pick last season.

K:
Out with the Shankloser, in with Winston Gunn (78/78), who has a booming leg and an 84% success rate. Only in his 5th year, he could be a Bear for a very long time.

LDE:
Our biggest addition in the offeseason was Fred Boyer (78/78), a pass-rushing animal whose name you're likely to hear all season.

DT:
Rookie 1st-round pick Jermaine Cassidy (68/84) is ready to make noise early.
Casey Witt (69/69) brings a 100-rating in run defense to the table.
Timothy Emmons (50/50) has been with us from the beginning and can spell the starters with a cohesion boost.

RDE:
All our very first draft pick Doug Conley (70/70) did last year was rack up 12 sacks and 40 QBKs. His perfect 100-rating in pass rush technique makes him the ideal 4-3 RDE.

SLB
Bucky Beaver (Yes, that's his real name) returns, a 78/78-rated perfect Gandalf SLB. Bucky does very well against the pass, but needs to step up his game a bit vs. the run.

MLB:
Perhaps the reason Bucky doesn't get many tackles is because Dexter Lucas (82/82) is roaming the middle. Rated 100 in runD and in play diagnosis, Dexter is the defense's heart and soul.

Veteran Mercury Brennan (53/53) spells every LB position and is a tackling machine.

WLB:
On the rare occasion he's needed, William Shedd (62/62) plays WLB and rated 94 in special teams, he's a top tackler in the game's 3rd phase.

SB:
Dan Pretko (85/85) was our second 1st round pick and saw his play improve dramatically in his sophomore season. The safetybacker is a key position in the 4/4, and Pretko fills it to perfection.

CB:
Donny Meadows (70/70) takes over as the leader of a very deep secondary whose CBs, nonetheless, aren't necessarily as outstanding as you might expect. But don't tell Donny that. He had 7 INTs, 22 passes defensed and was an all-league 1st team CB last season.
Dexter Craig (53/53) of the famed "Dex Connex" gives us cohesion, return skills and great zone coverage as the #2 CB.
In his 12th season, Barry Westbrook (52/52) can spell Craig and keep the cohesion flowing.
Newcomer Corwin Stocz (50/50) is an INT specialist.
So is FA2 signee Dominic Fulmer (50/50), an 11th year player who is big enough to play safety and had 11 picks in one season 3 years ago. He's also a 98 on special teams.
Speaking of special teams, Buth Garcia (51/51) is one of the best punt return men in the business.

S:
SS Marvin Schwartz (82/82) is a little undersized, but a terror on defense, rated 100 in runD and 100 in zoneD.
FS Mitch Flynn (80/80) is recovvering from a broken leg, but is also rated 100 in zoneD.
Meanwhile, sophomore 5th-round phenom Dave Rasmussen (64/69) is rated 100 in punishing hitter, 98 in INTs, and he isn't done booming yet.

Quite frankly, our CBs are a bit weak, but this level of talent on defense is freaking amazing. If we aren't #1 in overall defense this year, there's something wrong. The only thing getting in our way of a silver trophy is our anemic offense or devastating injuries.

Prediction: 12-4, NFC champions
Old 01-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #226
revrew
Team Chaplain

Year 5, WEEK 1: Green Bay (0-0, PR 75) at Chicago (0-0)

QB Fernando Windsor carried us in this one, tossing a pair of TDs for a 110.8 rating. The running game was abysmal until RB Kelly Hayes broke off a 35-yard TD in the 4th, but other than that one run was pathetic. CB Butch Garcia returned a punt 68 yards to the house as well, forcing Green Bay to the air to play catch-up.

Of course, that's not necessarily a good thing. Green Bay has the best receiving duo (rated 80 and 84) in the league and a 72-rated RB. Thankfully, their QB sucks. Our new dime backs brought in for their pick ability paid off big time in this one, as CB Crowin Stocz and Dominic Fulmer pulled down 3 picks between them. SLB Bucky Beaver (Yes, that's his real name) batted down 3 short passes, and rookie DT Jermaine Cassidy got his first sack, as the Packers QB was harrassed relentlessly and imploded in this 34-14 win for Chicago.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #227
revrew
Team Chaplain

Year 5, WEEK 2: Chicago (1-0, PR 65) at Miami (1-0, PR 90)

Once again QB Fernando Windsor turns in a good game, completing 2/3 of his passes and no INTs, helped by a huge game from WR Tyrone Lee, who pulled down 8 of 9 passes for 118 yards and a TD. And, just like last year, RB Kelly Hayes can't rush for squat but still powers in the scores, racking up a pair of TDs.

On defense, SLB Bucky Beaver (Yes, that's his real name) picked off a pass and led the team in tackles. LDE Fred Boyer spearheaded the pass rush with 2 sacks, 2 hurries and 3 knockdowns. Despite facing perhaps the best QB in the NFL, the Bears played bend and don't break, as the leading 2 receivers for the Dolphins were the FB and RB. The defensive dominance in this game was most evident in the average start for each drive: Chicago on the 50, Miami on their own 17. Bears roll easy, 30-6.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #228
revrew
Team Chaplain

Year 5, WEEK 3: St. Louis (2-0, PR 62) at Chicago (2-0, PR 63)

The offense in this game was pitiful. Absofreakin'lutely pitiful. 1.73 yards per carry and a QB who could only throw for 110 yards.

The defense, however, was a whole 'nother matter. With some Olinemen out to injury, the Rams were susceptible, and our D-line beat 'em like a red-headed stepchild. RDE Doug Conley had an all-world performance, racking up 3 sacks, 2 hurries, 5 knockdowns and 2 forced fumbles, one of which LDE Fred Boyer scooped up and rumbled 57 yards for the score. SLB Bucky Beaver (Yes, that's his real name) neutralized the TE by batting down 3 passes, and the offense doesn't need much firepower when they're starting at their own 21 and we're starting on our 42. The Monsters of the Midway come to the rescue in a brutal win, 26-3.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:43 AM   #229
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

What's PR?

SI

Old 01-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #230
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
What's PR?

SI

The in-game "power rating." Just thought I'd add that, so you have a sense of how good the opposition is. It's a 0-100 scale, relative to all the other teams and is a complicated calculation of record, opponents' records, a weighted roster evaluation, etc., etc.

At the beginning of the season, the PR rating fluctuates wildly, but as the season moves on and more variables are factored into the equation, it gets more meaningful.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:29 AM   #231
revrew
Team Chaplain

Year 5, WEEK 4: Chicago (3-0, PR 78) at Carolina (2-1, PR 44)

Partway through the 2nd quarter, QB Fernando Windsor lit up on FIRE, leading the team on 4 TD scoring drives. For the game, he was 22 of 25, with 2 TDs, 0 INTs, and a 125.0 rating (yeah, their defense sucks). Even RB Kelly Hayes looked like his old self, rushing for a pair of scores and 93 yards at a 5.47 per clip. Rookie WR Leland Borders led the receivers with 5 catches, and FB Kris LeBlond caught a TD.

On defense, I'm pretty disappointed in the total yardage surrendered, but the squad knocked down 7 passes and picked 4. "Dex Connex" was in full effect, as CB Dexter Craig and ILB Dexter Lucas combined for 2 INTs, a forced fumble, 11 tackles, and a 78-yard punt return. Our bookend DEs were stellar again, and the Panthers just couldn't overcome all of our big plays as Chicago wins, 37-22.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #232
revrew
Team Chaplain

Year 5, WEEK 5: Detroit (2-2, PR 60) at Chicago (4-0, PR 88)

All of a sudden, QB Fernando Windsor is the man on fire, as he was absolutely brilliant in this one, completing 23 of 29, 4 TDs, no INTs. Leading the way for the receiving corps was the usually quiet WR Donnell Ellis, who snagged 4 passes for 91 yards and 2 TDs.

On defense, SLB Bucky Beaver (Yes, that's his real name) led the team with 8 tackles, but it was new DE Fred Boyer who grabbed headlines with a pair of sacks, pair of hurries and pair of QB knockdowns. CB Barry Westbrook snagged an INT in limited action, as the Monsters of the Midway held the Motor City Kitties to 1 of 10 on third down. Still giving up too many yards, but still winning, this time by a score of 34-8.

Last edited by revrew : 01-15-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:14 AM   #233
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Good old Fernando! My draft pick from ages ago paying dividends.

And as a side, rev....bring the ZFL back.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #234
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
And as a side, rev....bring the ZFL back.

Heh. That was TEN years ago now. Trying to remember, were you one of the original GMs?

Multiplayer FOF didn't exist back then, and we were so desperate to be able to play against one another, that the ZFL blossomed. But alas, the ZFL was housed an another computer (I think that was 3 laptops ago). I remember running that from an office that has since been destroyed by a tornado. I'd have to reinvent the entire game machine behind it.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #235
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Of course I was. How can you forget the man who drafted Erik Flamebeard of the Neither Here Nor There, the heart and soul of Portland.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 01-17-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #236
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Of course I was. How can you forget the man who drafted Erik Flamebeard of the Neither Here Nor There, the heart and soul of Portland.

Of course! Erik Flamebeard. Indeed. You were even more obnoxious 10 years ago than you are now

Year 5, WEEK 6: New Orleans (4-2, PR 73) at Chicago (5-0, PR 92)

Good ol' fashioned, Chicago Bear game of keepaway and ball control in this one, as QB Fernando Windsor didn't light it up, but kept the passing game uber-short and very efficient. FB Kris LeBlond had 6 catches on 6 targets, tight ends caught another six passes, and Windsor was on his way to a 29 of 39 night for only 197 yards, but no INTs. The running game was anemic, but mostly because we build a lead and sat on it. K Winston Gunn knocked 5 FGs home, including two from beyond 50 to keep extending the lead.

And sitting on a lead is a heckuva lot easier when you have a pair of DEs like the Bears. DE Fred Boyer had 2 sacks, 3 hurries and 2 knockdowns, while DE Doug Conley added a sack, a hurry, and 4 knockdowns. The defense held the Saints to a total of 210 yards, only 24 minutes in time of possession (to our 35) and 1 of 12 on third down. On the season, Bear opponents are only converting 28 percent of their 3rd downs and 8 percent on 4th down, the best combined percentage in the league. This time, it led to a shutout as Bears roll, 22-0.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #237
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
Of course! Erik Flamebeard. Indeed. You were even more obnoxious 10 years ago than you are now

Oh it's on now.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #238
revrew
Team Chaplain

Year 5, WEEK 7: Chicago (6-0, PR 95) at Minnesota (3-4, PR 51)

The offense was pretty weak in this one, as the game droned on through 4 quarters and nearly the full 15 minutes of overtime. QB Fernando Windsor threw a pair of picks, and the running game was stifled by their excellent LB corps.

P Jon Shonek was brilliant in this one, dropping 7 of 9 punts inside the Minnesota 20, yet still averaging 44.7 per boot. Just amazing.

The defense, meanwhile was susceptible to the big play. Their #2 WR ripped off an 84-yard TD run in the first quarter, and pulled down 14 of 15 for 208 yards and a score, as CB Donny Meadows played perhaps the worst game of his career. Our bookend DEs were uncharacteristically stuffed, but this did open a hole for rookie DT Jermaine Cassidy to have his best game so far: 2 tackles, a sack, 2 blocked passes, a hurry and 2 knockdowns. MLB Dexter Lucas ran a much-needed INT back to the house for a score late in the 4th quarter, but Minnesota tied it up with 39 ticks left to send it into overtime.

The squads went back and forth in extra innings, but as time slipped away, with only 1 second left, K Winston Gunn lined up for a 59-yard FG. He'd already hit from 53 earlier in the day. Could he do it again?

He does! Nose over the crossbar, Chicago wins a nailbiter, 20-17.

Bad news is QB Fernando Windsor is a bit dinged up, and Kelly Hayes is gone with injury for a while, too.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #239
revrew
Team Chaplain

Year 5, WEEK 8: Atlanta (3-5, PR 43) at Chicago (7-0, PR 94)

With Kelly Hayes out, newcomer RB Bucky Harris had one of the better games of the year, rushing for 103 yards on 15 carries for a 6.87 average. QB Fernando Windsor had a gritty performance with a wounded wing, but still managed to toss and scramble one in for a score.

After being the big hero last week, however, K Winston Gunn missed 3 of 6 FG attempts on the day. Strange to be so clutch one week, so unreliable the next.

But with this defense against a subpar team, not even a bad kicking day can slow down the onslaught. MLB Dexter Lucas led a bone-crushing defense with his 11 tackles. The team on the day racked up 3 sacks, 2 blocked passes, 12 hurries, and 7 QB knockdowns - in other words, relentless pressure. 9 defensed passes from several folks meant their QB only completed 17 of 48 pass attempts for a miserable 118 yards and a 45.4 passer rating. Hence, they go an astounding 1 of 17 on third down, and we win a defensive bruising, 23-0.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #240
revrew
Team Chaplain

HALFWAY REPORT: (8-0, PR 95)

RushingO: #13, but #27 in yards per rush
PassingO: #23
ScoringO: #2 (Say what? That's field position and turnovers for 'ya - Go BIG D!)

Turnover margin: #2 (+10)

RushingD: #5
PassingD: #19 (hm, perhaps we need to upgrade the CBs?)
Scoring D: #1, allowing only 8.8 per game

On offense:
QB Fernando Windsor is having the best year of his career, with 12 TDs to only 2 INTs and a 92.9 rating, #5 in the league.
The rushing game is pathetic.
Rookie WR Leland Borders leads the team with 35 catches for 259 yards, but has yet to score his first NFL TD.
WR Tyrone Lee has racked up the most yards, with 33 catches for 387 yards and 3 TDs.
The offensive line is playing well in most respects, but needs more production out of the Center and underperforming G Rick Parliman. Pass protection has been pretty solid.

On defense:
MLB Dexter Lucas and SLB Bucky Beaver (Yes, that's his real name) are having very solid all-around seasons. Beaver leads the team with 11 defensed passes - fantastic for a LB.
DE Fred Boyer leads the league with 9 sacks at the halfway mark, while Doug Conley is top 10 with 6.5 sacks. Backup DE Albert Ross is also pitching in on spot duty with a PRPct equal to the guys ahead of him.
The secondary, however, has been spotty. Neither of our starting CBs is having the year we'd expect, and we need more picks out of the safeties.
SB Dan Pretko is having a solid season, #3 on the team in tackles and #2 in passes defensed, but we still want more INTs!

P Jon Shonek leads the NFL in punts inside the 20 with 24.
K Winston Gunn leads the NFL in FGs and 50+ FGs, but his percentage is down.
We have the best returners in the NFL, hands down, which is a curious and consistent development, despite their bars (mostly in the 50s and 60s) not suggesting they should be this good.

Road to the playoffs

We're sitting good now, with only a few really tough games left on the schedule, but Green Bay is right behind us at 7-1 and a 92 power rating. We've beaten them once this year, but they're waiting for us to slip up. Tough games against Dallas, Green Bay and Detroit remain on the schedule.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:47 PM   #241
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Good deal so far

SI

Old 01-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #242
revrew
Team Chaplain

Year 5, WEEK 9: Chicago (8-0, PR 95) at Tampa Bay (3-5, PR 52)

Once again, another grinding Bear game, this one based on a heavy, steady dose of running plays (but NOOOO, coach wouldn't do that with Kelly Hayes in the lineup). We ran 58 times to only 27 passes. But QB Fernando Windsor was efficient in the short game, particularly in tosses to WR Tyrone Lee, who caught 7 of 12.

But this game wasn't about our anemic offense. The defense was merciless and relentless, only allowing the Buccs to hold on to the ball for 22 minutes, stuffing TBay on 14 of its 16 3rd down plays. In all, the Dreamsicles only totalled 149 yards. Total - 68 on the ground, 81 in the air. Their QB could only complete 12 of 42 passes, in large part because of the killer pass rush: RDE Doug Conley, 2 sacks, 1 block, 3 hurries, 3 knockdowns; and the rest of the team with another 4 sacks, 2 blocks, 6 hurries and a pair of knockdowns. 9 defensed passes didn't help either, as the Monsters of the Midway lived up to it with their second straight shutout. Bears win, 23-0.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #243
revrew
Team Chaplain

Year 5, WEEK 10: BIG GAME!!!!!! Chicago (9-0, PR 95) at Green Bay (8-1, PR 90)

What a game! Bears are down 14-3 at halftime, in large part because our running game is struggling, and the best CB in the NFL is bottling up QB Fernando Windsor.

On the other side, our bookend DEs are harassing their QB mercilessly, but can't quite get there (0 sacks on the day), and the best WR tandem in the league is burning us just often enough to get on the board.

But then ... halfway through the 3rd, Bear dimeback CB Corwin Stocz picks one off and runs it back to the Packer 13. From there, bruising #2 RB Bucky Harris (no relation to Beaver) powers in the first of his 2 TDs in the quarter. He couldn't even rack up 30 yards on the day, but he's a short-distance powerhouse.

With only 3 minutes left, the Packers are driving again, in Bear territory, short pass complete ... and CB Donny Meadows strips it away! Rookie DT Jermaine Cassidy picks it up ... and he's rumbling ... he's bumbling ... he's tackled. But not before he takes it into field goal range.

The kick is up ... and it's good! We're going to overtime!

Packers have the ball first, starting to move it ... and then, like Steve Atwater crushing Christian Okoye, SB Dan Pretko obliterates Bay's backup RB, and the ball is on the ground again! The Bears DT Casey Witt drops his mammoth gut over the ball, and when the refs unpile the pile ... Bear ball! In field goal range again, K Winston Gunn kicks 'em when it counts, and Bears win! Bears win! 23-20 in overtime. Defense FTW.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:46 AM   #244
Travis
Pro Rookie

Wow, very nice win indeed!
Old 02-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #245
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Is that three shutouts in a span of four games? Impressive, rev.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #246
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Is that three shutouts in a span of four games? Impressive, rev.

Yes it is, and thank you.

Year 5, WEEK 11: NY Jets (4-6, PR 36) at Chicago (10-0, PR 95)

Things were a little slow early in this one, but at the end of the 2nd quarter, QB Ferndando Windsor hit WR Tyrone Lee on an 8-yard slant that the speedster busted open for a 35-yard TD, and the floodgates opened. The Bears scored a TD on 2 consecutive drives at the end of the 2nd, and then got the ball after halftime and, after a 47-yard return by CB Dexter Craig, punched into the end zone for 3 TDs on 3 consecutive drives.

The defense was a litte wobbly in terms of yards given up, but not in big plays, as beast LDE Fred Boyer gobbled up 3.5 sacks and 5 knockdowns, and the Bears forced 3 turnovers, including INTs by FS Mitch Flynn and SLB Bucky Beaver (Yes, that's his real name) to seal the deal. The Jets only saw the red zone once in the whole game, as Bears win, 33-6.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #247
revrew
Team Chaplain

Year 5, WEEK 12: Chicago (11-0, PR 92) at Dallas (7-4, PR 73)

Don't look past this one, as Dallas is the #3 team in Power Rating. So long as we play mistake free, however ...

Yeah.

Seven turnovers. Dropping an egg like Denver in the Super Bowl.

The offensive line was a complete sieve, as QB Fernando Windsor was sacked 6 times, fumbled 5 times and threw 3 INTs. Completely wasted Kelly Hayes' return to the lineup and WR Tyrone Lee's 100-yard receiving game.

The defense held the Cowboys to 230 yards total offense, including a pathetic 129 in the air, but couldn't stop them in the endzone and couldn't be blamed for the points their defense was scoring.

This was just an embarrassment, as we see how badly a bad offense can hurt in FOF.

Bears drop a humiliating loss, 38-10.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #248
revrew
Team Chaplain

Year 5, WEEK 13: New England (5-7, PR 47) at Chicago (11-1, PR 92)

I was nervous going into this one, as New England is the only team in the NFL with a better D-line than ours (2 players rated 90+), but RB Kelly Hayes looked like his old self, rushing for 74 yards at a 4.93 per-carry clip. Fernando Windsor kept the passing game short to avoid the sack, and rookie WR Leland Borders was the beneficiary, grabbing 7 of 11 passes. It wasn't much, but it was enough if the defense stepped up.

And holy #%@^, did the defense ever. New England amassed a sum total of 117 yards in this one, including a pathetic 57 yards in the air. Perhaps the EIGHT SACKS had something to do with that, as our boys were a little miffed, I guess, about the idea the Patriots have a better D-line. Monster LDE Fred Boyer was insane. A team-leading 7 tackles, 4 sacks, 6 hurries and 3 knockdowns, all by his lonesome. SLB Bucky Beaver (Yes, that's his real name) continued his impressive season with a sack and a pair of passes defensed.

Not much offense from the Bears, but not much needed. Chicago wins, 16-0.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:35 AM   #249
revrew
Team Chaplain

Year 5, WEEK 14: Chicago (12-1, PR 87) at Detroit (6-7, PR 67)

Tough division this year. Green Bay is #1 in PR, we're #2 and Detroit is #7.

And once again, when the big game comes, QB Fernando Windsor chokes: 2 INTs, 2 lost fumbles, and the Bears are behind the 8-ball. 4 dropped passes hurt, too, but rookie WR Leland Borders once again showed he may be the most reliable receiver we have, catching all 5 passes thrown his way. 63 catches on the year so far for the rook, but his YAC is awful and only 1 TD to show for all that work.

The defense put up an excellent effort with MLB Dexter Lucas leading the team in tackles; RDE Doug Conley dominating with 1.5 sacks, 5 hurries and 3 knockdowns; and SB Dan Pretko batting down 3 passes. Detroit was flustered all day.

Alas, a great defensive effort wasted by our inept offense, and Bears lose, 10-13.

The good news is Green Bay lost to Minnesota (whew! Told you it's a tough conference), so we remain in the home-field advantage spot.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:55 AM   #250
revrew
Team Chaplain

Year 5, WEEK 15: Chicago (12-2, PR 87) at Buffalo (8-6, PR 51)

QB Fernando Winsor bounced back with a fury, completing 25 of 34 for 266 and a TD, racking up a 105.7 rating. WR Leland Borders caught 6 of 8, but once again, he wasn't the TD recipient. The offense played well on 3rd down, which helped keep the score down and the ball rolling.

The defense didn't have one of their better days against one of the better QBs in the league, who threw for an uncharacteristically high (for us) 326 yards. The D also gave up 5.7 per rush, which allowed the Bills to stay in this one. But the D tightened up in the redzone, and never more so than inside the 2-minute warning.

With only 43 seconds on the clock, dimeback CB Corwin Stocz picked off the ball in the endzone! Preserves a tight one and a major scare, as Bears win, 20-13.

Good news: With this win and a Green Bay loss to Miami, we wrap up the division and home-field advantage.

Bad news: MLB Dexter Lucas goes down with a 4-week injury. He'll be back if we can win in the playoffs. MLB Mercury Brennan (53/53) is normally a solid backup, but he's having a subpar year.