Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-29-2023, 02:52 PM   #501
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
Detroit will almost certainly win the division but I think Goff kind of limits their upside still. He's the type of QB that can get you to a Super Bowl with a great defense behind him but that's going to be hard to build while he is under contract.

Maybe he can get them there before they have to extend his current contract. Have to think with the current market that next contract will be 40 million plus per year.

If the Lions manage to win the NFC North (first time since 1993 and only the 4th time since 1970 when the NFC Central/North was formed), host a playoff game (first since 1993) and actually win a playoff game (first since 1991 season and second since 1957), this year will be considered a huge success.

I agree that Goff has his limitations. I was very anti-Goff when they made the trade. Very anti-Goff. I’ve come around now and will get all Terrell Owens on people who are too hard on him! That’s my quarterback!!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 03:00 PM   #502
thesloppy
Pro Starter

My take on Goff is that he's effectively as good as your offensive line. The narrative around him has shifted with his relative success, but I think he's the exact same QB he's always been and if he were to start getting pressured consistently he would regress instantly. That probably sounds like faint praise, but the other side of that is that he can absolutely play at the highest level when he has that protection.

..dude threw an immediate pick in Lambeau last night, which practically every previous Lions team/QB would have leaned into, and he's mined success from being traded to the freaking Lions, as practically less-than an empty roster spot. He certainly doesn't give off the impression of confidence, but his actions speak pretty loud.

His contract/career arc also make for an interesting case study, in how he's bounced around from albatross to bargain and back, sometimes in just a matter of weeks.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 09-29-2023 at 07:06 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 06:48 PM   #503
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
If the Lions manage to win the NFC North (first time since 1993 and only the 4th time since 1970 when the NFC Central/North was formed), host a playoff game (first since 1993) and actually win a playoff game (first since 1991 season and second since 1957), this year will be considered a huge success.

I agree that Goff has his limitations. I was very anti-Goff when they made the trade. Very anti-Goff. I’ve come around now and will get all Terrell Owens on people who are too hard on him! That’s my quarterback!!

As a Vikings fan I'm honestly happy for the Lions. Would much rather see them win than the Bears or Packers. I'll be surprised at this point if they don't win a playoff game. Pretty clearly one of the 4 best NFC teams.
Old 09-29-2023, 08:48 PM   #504
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I recommend the Lions make a music video
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 08:53 PM   #505
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post

Man this takes me back to 1980 and Jimmy Spiderman Allen. I have very few memories of when I was that young (9 years old), but I distinctly remember a crisp September or October Sunday at a Michigan cider mill listening to a Lions game on the radio eating fresh donuts and drinking cider when Another One Bites the Dust was playing everywhere.

IIRC they won their first 4 or 5 games that year and then blew it all. I also remember Another One Beats Our Butts became the local radio station parody about 2 months later.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 09:12 PM   #506
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Classic. I love this idea
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 09:25 PM   #507
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
The Super Bowl Stumble?
Old 09-29-2023, 10:03 PM   #508
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I'll start:

We are the Lions RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR!!!!!!!!
We're gonna fight and scooooooooooooooooooore!!!!!!!!!

next?
Old 09-30-2023, 06:59 AM   #509
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Man this takes me back to 1980 and Jimmy Spiderman Allen. I have very few memories of when I was that young (9 years old), but I distinctly remember a crisp September or October Sunday at a Michigan cider mill listening to a Lions game on the radio eating fresh donuts and drinking cider when Another One Bites the Dust was playing everywhere.

IIRC they won their first 4 or 5 games that year and then blew it all. I also remember Another One Beats Our Butts became the local radio station parody about 2 months later.

I remember that vividly! My dad used to listen to the radio in the morning while getting ready for work and I remember waiting on his room for them to play Another Bites The Dust and then Another One Beats Their Butts.

Classic!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 08:54 AM   #510
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I think Week 4 is my favourite in terms of everyone (myself included) overreacting to the outcomes. It's also a perfect example of recency bias.
The swings in terms of perception that come with a win or a loss just feel more significant.

3-0
Win to move to 4-0... pencil them in for a Super Bowl appearance
Lose to drop to 3-1... overrated team who is now regressing towards the mean

2-1
Win to move to 3-1... impressive squad who could be a SB contender
Lose to move to 2-2... just a middling .500 team

1-2
Win to move to 2-2... turning things around and poised to make a playoff push
Lose to drop to 1-3... season is basically over, there's always next year

0-3
Win to move to 1-3... signs of life after all, could still turn this ship around and fight for a wild card
Lose to drop to 0-4... pencil in for a top pick in March (okay, this is probably the correct take)
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 09:11 AM   #511
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

I remember that being featured on NFL Today. Both when they were winning and again when it collapsed.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 12:14 PM   #512
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yeah, if you're 0-4 at this point it would have to be a pretty coincidental run of tough, tough teams for you to look at that record and think of anything but draft picks.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 12:15 PM   #513
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
I'll start:

next?

Your Grammy is in the mail.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 01:00 PM   #514
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Your Grammy is in the mail.

Old 09-30-2023, 01:11 PM   #515
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
I'll start:

next?
The North is just so easy to win
Eric Hipple could come back again

next?
Old 09-30-2023, 05:29 PM   #516
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

While doing the MCL surgery, they did determine that ACL was damaged bad enough for surgery on Nick Chubb.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 11:18 AM   #517
GrantDawg

Ridder with three turn-overs in the game including a pick-six. The seat is getting hot for him.
Old 10-01-2023, 01:03 PM   #518
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

What's worse for the Broncos, giving up 70 to the Dolphins, or Fields going 12 for 12 to start the game?
Old 10-01-2023, 01:03 PM   #519
bhlloy
Coordinator

Seems like there are going to be some very painful lessons from the last few drafts that just because you have a first round pick and need a QB, you shouldn’t reach for one just because they rise somewhere close to the top of the QB board and everyone feels like there should be 5-6 first rounders.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 01:16 PM   #520
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
What's worse for the Broncos, giving up 70 to the Dolphins, or Fields going 12 for 12 to start the game?

As I mentioned elsewhere, you know your defense is awful when Fields looks competent.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 01:20 PM   #521
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I don't know how it could be possible that Vance Joseph is still employed after today.

Hell, I don't know how he could still be employed after halftime.
Old 10-01-2023, 01:26 PM   #522
bhlloy
Coordinator

Pickett just upped his YPA to 2.0… it was 1.6 for most of the half. It wouldn’t surprise me if neither he nor Ridder started another game in their career to be honest. They will probably get more rope… but man, there’s some awful QB play out there right now.
Old 10-01-2023, 01:32 PM   #523
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I don't know how it could be possible that Vance Joseph is still employed after today.

Hell, I don't know how he could still be employed after halftime.

The Broncos haven’t forced a first half incomplete pass since week 2. That’s got to be one of the most mind blowing stats I have ever heard.
Old 10-01-2023, 01:35 PM   #524
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Pickett just upped his YPA to 2.0… it was 1.6 for most of the half. It wouldn’t surprise me if neither he nor Ridder started another game in their career to be honest. They will probably get more rope… but man, there’s some awful QB play out there right now.

What? Two guys who played faced largely 2nd/3rd tier opposition while putting up numbers in college have turned out to be less than stellar? I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tell you.
Old 10-01-2023, 02:03 PM   #525
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
As I mentioned elsewhere, you know your defense is awful when Fields looks competent.

Yeah 4 TD passes, 22-23 and almost 300 yards early in the 3rd quarter. The Broncos have turned him into Mahomes.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 02:11 PM   #526
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And who/what broke Joe Burrow?
Old 10-01-2023, 02:24 PM   #527
GrantDawg

I have long thought Joe Burrow made some kind of pact with the devil to become just seemingly unstoppable his last year at LSU on. Maybe he broke the pact.

Old 10-01-2023, 02:27 PM   #528
Galaril
Pro Starter

Wow the Bears . SMH.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 02:28 PM   #529
GrantDawg

Pickett being helped off the field.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-01-2023 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2023, 02:30 PM   #530
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And we have resumed normal Fields performance.
Old 10-01-2023, 02:44 PM   #531
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

What in gods name is Eberflus thinking.
Old 10-01-2023, 02:57 PM   #532
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

was he? Thinking, that is.
Old 10-01-2023, 03:06 PM   #533
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
He makes Trestman look like a HOF coach. I can't recall so many boneheaded decisions in a four-game stretch. Unless they're purposely tanking I don't see how he has a job after tomorrow.

And Fields still proved nothing. He has confirmed that he is a turnover machine, and that's it.
Old 10-01-2023, 03:12 PM   #534
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
was he? Thinking, that is.

One of two things.

"You told me to tank, I'm tanking."

or

"What's a guy gotta do to get fired around here?"
Old 10-01-2023, 03:18 PM   #535
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
And Fields still proved nothing. He has confirmed that he is a turnover machine, and that's it.

Except they'll use that as an excuse to not trot out Bagent and see if he's anything. I honestly think if Fields was his normal shit self all game, this woulda been his last start.
Old 10-01-2023, 03:20 PM   #536
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Keep in mind that I am the same person that watched Akili Smith look good in one of his first starts and thought to myself, “man, that guy has what it takes to be an NFL quarterback.”

But I am watching Sam Howell, and, man, that guy has what it takes to be an NFL quarterback.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 10-01-2023 at 03:23 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 03:27 PM   #537
Thomkal
Head Coach

So got a good look at the Panthers Bryce Young today. He had a near perfect second half passing, but I think none were for greater than 20 yards. And he also holds on to the ball too long. Not sure if he lacks the confidence to throw for longer or coaches aren't letting him do it.
Old 10-01-2023, 03:49 PM   #538
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Except they'll use that as an excuse to not trot out Bagent and see if he's anything. I honestly think if Fields was his normal shit self all game, this woulda been his last start.
If the Bears were going to lose anyway I would have rather seen Fields go 15/32 with a TD and two picks. But not playing Bagent feeds into the tanking philosophy, likely for Williams now. It seems obvious that they don't care about winning or what Bagent has.

But I'll say it again (and it won't be the last time): everyone from Poles on down needs to go. Can't fire the Idiots McCaskey, but someone has to pay for the regression from a three win team to this farce.

Last edited by weegeebored : 10-01-2023 at 04:23 PM.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 04:10 PM   #539
miami_fan
Coordinator

Text book roughing the passer and ejection on #90 of the Raiders.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 04:24 PM   #540
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Didn't see the Bills/Dolphins.

How did the Bills make the Dolphins' offense look mortal?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 04:33 PM   #541
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

OH MY GOD THE BRONCHOS WON?????????????????????
Old 10-01-2023, 04:45 PM   #542
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Is this the half when Belichick finally concludes that Mac Jones just isn't consistently in games and he has to go to whatever alternative he has? Or does he already know he has no alternative?

It's a shame to see such a great coaching career come down to this.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 04:48 PM   #543
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Too early for the 2024 draft thread?

The only suspense left for the Bengals is whether or not they trade Tee Higgins before the deadline.
Old 10-01-2023, 04:59 PM   #544
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
OH MY GOD THE BRONCHOS WON?????????????????????

I mean they were playing the Bears.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 05:21 PM   #545
Bobble
College Prospect

I can't wait for JT O'Sullivan and The QB School to explain to me what I just saw in these games. What's the intelligent take on Fields' day today? Is Stroud as good as this looks? Howell, really? Burrow, what!?

It's a wonderful age when you don't have to trust the talking heads spouting whatever during the game and can get a detailed analysis after the fact.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 05:38 PM   #546
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Didn't see the Bills/Dolphins.

How did the Bills make the Dolphins' offense look mortal?

Bills took advantage of injuries on the OL and are the first team to get QB pressure today. Miami shot themselves in the foot with turnovers and penalties.

They were still able to move the ball overall, but Buffalo did a great job of forcing and capitalizing on mistakes, and making crucial plays at key moments (like on multiple 4th downs).

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 05:53 PM   #547
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Prior to the season, I thought the Cardinals had an excellent shot at the top two picks given my perception of the talent on their roster as well as Houston's. Now, it's looking like the Bears will be in that position instead. Stroud looks for real and Houston could be middle of the pack. Cardinals have been extremely impressive, have been in every game and have even played well against the 49ers today.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 06:26 PM   #548
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

A million raiders fans just had their highest high, then their lowest low
Old 10-01-2023, 06:27 PM   #549
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

That Chargers/Raiders 4th quarter was the best quarter in football today!
Old 10-01-2023, 06:28 PM   #550
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
I mean they were playing the Bears.

Fields was already saying whose fault the loss was to the press..."It's my fault. The buck stops here....but if that guy was in the right spot we could have done it and we should do better to be in our spots but it's my fault."