Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-28-2024, 08:02 PM   #2501
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

This is starting to feel like a self-destruct. A couple of bad bounces, and the Lions have now tightened up.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:03 PM   #2502
Danny
Head Coach

4th down call was fine. Reynolds has lost them the game
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:12 PM   #2503
stevew
Hall Of Famer

All these single digit guys are killing the lions on both sides of the ball.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:13 PM   #2504
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

It's way too much to blame it all on Reynolds. Fumble equalized the turnovers, the lucky catch, stuff happens.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:26 PM   #2505
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I was so wrong about Dan Campbell after his first year and all the weird shit that came with it.

He understands the leverage of field position from an offensive standpoint better than any non-offensive head coach in the league.

And then every now and then he does something really stupid.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:30 PM   #2506
GrantDawg

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Old 01-28-2024, 08:30 PM   #2507
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Why
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:30 PM   #2508
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I feel for you Lions fans.
Old 01-28-2024, 08:31 PM   #2509
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Among other reasons, because their kicker is unreliable from long-range. It's one of the weaknesses on the team.
Old 01-28-2024, 08:31 PM   #2510
Kodos
Resident Alien

Damn.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:31 PM   #2511
GrantDawg

This feels like a good time to remember that Michigan won the National Championship. That was nice, right? Felt good?

Old 01-28-2024, 08:33 PM   #2512
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Live by the meathead, die by the meathead.

What a fucking moron.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:34 PM   #2513
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

For all the people losing their minds on Twitter about the Lions going for it twice on 4th down, there's something I don't think I've seen anyone mention:

Maybe they don't have any confidence in hitting a field goal that's beyond chip shot range.

The current kicker is one they waived in the pre-season before returning him to the roster with a month left in the season.

Maybe this isn't "riverboat gambler" mentality but rather "our odds are better this way"?
Old 01-28-2024, 08:35 PM   #2514
Jstraub
n00b

I suppose there is a thin line between being aggressive and recklessness. Dan Campbell is WAYYYYY past that line. Its almost like he doesn't have a grasp on context. I cant imagine what its like to be a Lions fan. wait all these years...

Last edited by Jstraub : 01-28-2024 at 08:36 PM.
Jstraub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:39 PM   #2515
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Why not kick the FG and save 30 seconds?
Old 01-28-2024, 08:40 PM   #2516
Jstraub
n00b

lol @ Lions kick a field goal
Jstraub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:41 PM   #2517
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Goddammit fuck it
Old 01-28-2024, 08:42 PM   #2518
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I thought the 4th down calls were fine, but the failure to kick a FG earlier and save the crucial timeout is just terrible.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 01-28-2024 at 08:45 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:42 PM   #2519
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Onside?
Old 01-28-2024, 08:42 PM   #2520
GrantDawg

And with that, the Lions cover the spread.

Old 01-28-2024, 08:44 PM   #2521
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Would you shut up about betting wete in pain hete
Old 01-28-2024, 08:45 PM   #2522
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

He fucking kicked it out of reach
Old 01-28-2024, 08:45 PM   #2523
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Well the Superbowl holds no meaning for me this year.
Old 01-28-2024, 08:45 PM   #2524
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
The current kicker is one they waived in the pre-season before returning him to the roster with a month left in the season.

Maybe this isn't "riverboat gambler" mentality but rather "our odds are better this way"?

There's some of both, but they definitely have more confidence in making a 4th-down play with their offense than kicking a long field goal.

Michael Badgley, for his career: 5 of 13 from 50+, 37 of 48 from 40+. Quite accurate from <40, but from longer those are not good numbers.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 01-28-2024 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-28-2024, 08:46 PM   #2525
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
For all the people losing their minds on Twitter about the Lions going for it twice on 4th down, there's something I don't think I've seen anyone mention:

Maybe they don't have any confidence in hitting a field goal that's beyond chip shot range.

History says otherwise.

There's a fine line between aggressive and stupid and time and time again, Dan Campbell has acted as if he just blew a .28 and got behind the wheel of a Ferrari to drive through a 25mph zone.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-28-2024 at 09:00 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:46 PM   #2526
Kodos
Resident Alien

Dang. Wanted to see the Lions make the bowl.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:51 PM   #2527
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I just don't understand. How do you take that timeout? You just can't do that. If you're going to run it there, you gotta have a backup play ready. That timeout ends the game.

Old 01-28-2024, 08:52 PM   #2528
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
History says otherwise.

There's a fine line between aggressive and stupid and tone and time again, Dan Campbell has acted as if he just blew a .28 and got behind the wheel of a Ferrari to drive through a 25mph zone.

Yeah, I think the 4th was pretty poorly coached, overall, by Campbell and Ben Johnson.

That FG would have been from 47, which has an average success of 73% while a 4th and 3 has a 47% chance of success. If you're in the Red Zone I can see it as conversion greatly increases your chance of putting it in the endzone. That isn't the case from the 30 against a 49ers defense.

The run play to Montgomery on the last drive was inexcusable. You're literally putting the entire game on that play. Makes no sense.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:56 PM   #2529
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don't know why they didn't take at least the TO at 2:02. I think they could have turned 15 or 20 seconds into two or more plays.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:03 PM   #2530
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Why not kick the FG and save 30 seconds?

Riverboat Dan has a gambler's mentality.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:43 PM   #2531
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Using a timeout was atrocious. Just unbelievably bad clock management.

No issue with the 4th down gamble up 14 points.

4th and 3 with 7:30 left and down 3 points was also a bad call. Nothing wrong with normally being aggressive but the downside - and we saw it play out - is that if you fail to convert and give up a TD and go down two scores, you likely don't have enough time for two scoring drives.

If your kicker sucks, sign Robbie Gould. That message applies equally to the Lions, Packers and 49ers - although it would have been poetic having Gould face off against the 49ers and being the difference.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 09:44 PM   #2532
miked
College Starter

Gambler, except 4th and goal from the 3 at the end of the half.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:44 PM   #2533
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don't think any coach goes for the kick with 1:40 left, but why not when you need a kick and a TD? Get to the line you're comfortable kicking and get the 3 as quickly as possible.

If he had used the timeouts prior to the 2 minute warning they might have been down 7 with two minutes left.
Old 01-28-2024, 10:06 PM   #2534
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post

Yeah that was the ballgame.
Old 01-28-2024, 10:20 PM   #2535
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
Using a timeout was atrocious. Just unbelievably bad clock management.

No issue with the 4th down gamble up 14 points.

4th and 3 with 7:30 left and down 3 points was also a bad call. Nothing wrong with normally being aggressive but the downside - and we saw it play out - is that if you fail to convert and give up a TD and go down two scores, you likely don't have enough time for two scoring drives.

Agreed 100%. You have to take the shot at points at that point in the game. The object is to score more points than your opponent. In this case you're already behind and running out of time. Going for it was the worse call in my opinion, but the run was really the nail in the coffin.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 10:21 PM   #2536
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Agreed 100%. You have to take the shot at points at that point in the game. The object is to score more points than your opponent. In this case you're already behind and running out of time. Going for it was the worse call in my opinion, but the run was really the nail in the coffin.

so like I am not for certain which plays you guys are talking about as I missed some at various points while eating as well as I had no volume on the TV. Can you esplain?
Old 01-28-2024, 10:33 PM   #2537
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Yeah that was the ballgame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post

I don't think I could disagree more. If Campbell had made the same decision to attempt the field goal when he was down by three, they might've had a chance to win there at the end.
Old 01-28-2024, 10:51 PM   #2538
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
so like I am not for certain which plays you guys are talking about as I missed some at various points while eating as well as I had no volume on the TV. Can you esplain?

1st & Goal at SF 9
(1:16 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) J.Goff pass short left to A.Firkser ran ob at SF 1 for 8 yards (J.Brown).

Guy exhibits some of the worst footwork I can remember. Inexplicable how he didn’t get in.

2nd & 1 at SF 1
(1:10 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Goff pass incomplete short right.

This play had no chance

3rd & Goal at SF 1
(1:05 - 4th) D.Montgomery right guard to SF 3 for -2 yards (J.Kinlaw, F.Warner).

This run on 3rd and goal had no chance. Like planet killer bad.

4th & Goal at SF 3
(1:00 - 4th) Timeout #1 by DET at 01:00.

4th & Goal at SF 3
(0:56 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Goff pass short middle to J.Williams for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN.M.Badgley extra point is GOOD, Center-J.McQuaide, Holder-J.Fox.

Last edited by stevew : 01-28-2024 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-29-2024, 12:48 AM   #2539
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

so you're saying they should NOT have taken a timeout there? And yeah I remember that 1st pass and swear it waS A td. then they showed the replay.
Shit it BARELY hit out of bounds but he had plenty of room. That was his second or third steep. What the fuck you stupid fuck.

the 2nd down pass was inexcusable. like seattle superbowl inexcusable. FUCK YOU DUMBASS DON"T PASS

Do 2 running plays in a row. You'll get in
Old 01-29-2024, 01:33 AM   #2540
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

There was a 4th and three with 7:30 ish left in the fourth.. Detroit was down three. Campbell passed on the 47 yd field goal attempt, and they didn't convert. SF then drove 70 yds for a TD to go up 10 with 4ish minutes left.

That was pretty well when the game was over, but Detroit had a prayer and three timeouts.

Detroit then drives down to the Sf 1 with a little more than a minute to go, and ran the ball rather than throwing three passes into the end zone. Montgomery was stopped, and they called a TO, which meant they could no longer stop SF from running the clock out. Their only option without the timeout was to go for the onside kick.
Old 01-29-2024, 01:36 AM   #2541
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

wow that's a LOT of bad calls in a row. holy shit how howhowhow...why would you go for it there
Old 01-29-2024, 03:17 AM   #2542
GrantDawg

Just saw a clip of Terry Bradshaw talking about calling his own plays, and I forgot quarterbacks calling their own plays was a thing. Best I can find is Jim Kelly was the last QB to primarily call his own plays, though teams that run a bunch of no-huddle have some play-calling power. It is weird to think that it was pretty common at one time.

Old 01-29-2024, 05:21 AM   #2543
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Brock Purdy gets knocked out of the game in the 1st quarter and the Lions win 24-10.

The Ravens defense has a field day with KC while Lamar baits the KC defense into too-aggressive decisions, Ravens win 35-14.

LOL. This is why I don't bet on sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Well, we are officially having a Swifty Bowl.

I am going to call them the Kansas City Swifties from here on out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Just makes no sense turning your entire offense into something it has not been all year. Feels like somebody getting too smart at the wrong time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
We saw Todd Monken call a pretty bad game earlier, and now we are seeing Ben Johnson calling a near-perfect game so far.

Yep, every year in the playoffs some OC gets too cute for their own good, so it was good to see both sides, even if Johnson lost in the end.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 05:36 AM   #2544
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstraub View Post
I suppose there is a thin line between being aggressive and recklessness. Dan Campbell is WAYYYYY past that line. Its almost like he doesn't have a grasp on context. I cant imagine what its like to be a Lions fan. wait all these years...

I don't think the line is thin. I think it just moves depending on results.

I probably would have kick the FG on the first 4th down attempt. I would have wanted to put points on the board. But, I have watched and listened to enough football experts that say you can't expect to beat the better team on the road with field goals and coaches need to trust their offense to pick up two yards especially after watching how that offense performed in the that first half. The 4th and 3 is a bit sketchier for me but again I think the trend has been for coaches to try to get the TD first. in that situation.

I can't get mad at Dan Campbell for doing the same thing I have watched Dan Campbell do in all the Lions games I have seen this season. This time it did not work out. The Lions probably don't reach the conference title game if he was not super aggressive in other games.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 06:27 AM   #2545
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

lmao I bet Ben johnson is NO LONGER on ANYONE'S list to get hired as a HC next year
Old 01-29-2024, 06:32 AM   #2546
Edward64
Head Coach

It's a small thing, but genuinely happy for SF QB3 Brandon Allen.

Not the best but an upper tier Hog QB and we had some solid seasons under him. Good guy, never read about him getting into any trouble.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-29-2024 at 06:33 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 07:02 AM   #2547
GrantDawg

Quote:
lmao I bet Ben johnson is NO LONGER on ANYONE'S list to get hired as a HC next year
I bet he is, but the question is will he take a job? He turned down the Panther's job last year because he wanted to stay with the Lion's till they made the Super Bowl. Will he leave this year for the Commanders? We will most likely see by Tuesday.
Old 01-29-2024, 07:31 AM   #2548
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

For my taste, this is the least interesting of the 4 possible SB matchups. But it is probably the two best teams that made it.

Early line has SF -1.5. That was a little surprising. I figured with the way the playoffs went that KC would be a slight favorite.

Definitely rooting for KC. It is fun to watch Andy Reid go from "Good coach, but he can't win the big one" to "Wait, how many Super Bowls will this guy end up winning?" And, on the other side of that coin, watching Shanahan continue to be the "great play designer, but can't win the big one" guy is funny. At some point, I'll probably feel sorry for him and want him to win one, too. But I'm not there yet.

I'm a terminally-online politically-obsessed weirdo, and I still have no idea why Taylor Swift's existence causes so much mouth-frothing rage on the right. But that's pretty funny, too, so I hope it continues all offseason with her at the Chiefs Super Bowl parade, etc.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 07:45 AM   #2549
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
3rd & Goal at SF 1
(1:05 - 4th) D.Montgomery right guard to SF 3 for -2 yards (J.Kinlaw, F.Warner).

This run on 3rd and goal had no chance. Like planet killer bad.

4th & Goal at SF 3
(1:00 - 4th) Timeout #1 by DET at 01:00.

This is the part right here that makes no sense. You just can't take this timeout. If you run it, then you have to hurry up and get another play off. You can't take the timeout under any circumstances. 45 seconds and 3 timeouts left is WAY better than 60 seconds and 2 timeouts left.

Old 01-29-2024, 08:12 AM   #2550
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
For my taste, this is the least interesting of the 4 possible SB matchups. But it is probably the two best teams that made it.

Early line has SF -1.5. That was a little surprising. I figured with the way the playoffs went that KC would be a slight favorite.

Definitely rooting for KC. It is fun to watch Andy Reid go from "Good coach, but he can't win the big one" to "Wait, how many Super Bowls will this guy end up winning?" And, on the other side of that coin, watching Shanahan continue to be the "great play designer, but can't win the big one" guy is funny. At some point, I'll probably feel sorry for him and want him to win one, too. But I'm not there yet.

I'm a terminally-online politically-obsessed weirdo, and I still have no idea why Taylor Swift's existence causes so much mouth-frothing rage on the right. But that's pretty funny, too, so I hope it continues all offseason with her at the Chiefs Super Bowl parade, etc.

I haven't made up my mind who I'm rooting for. I mean, I guess I would like the continued meltdown over the whole Taylor Swift thing, and I do still like and generally root for Andy Reid. But on the other hand I agree with a lot of what Magary says here and really do not like sports dynasties. So, I dunno.