Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #51
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Okay so who was the original? Its still pretty funny, not even knowing the story, because yeah, who south of the border has red hair?

Good Lord, you don't remember the redheaded stepchild? Well, maybe a little before your time. I'll let Alan tell it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #52
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Thursday, November 13th, 1986
Rio Grande Roadrunners: Signed free agent 3B M. Frost to a minor league contract.
Toronto Osprey: Signed free agent CF J. Moss to a 3-year contract worth a total of $5,900,000.
Napa Valley Winemakers: Signed free agent SP C. Kinney to a minor league contract.

Friday, November 14th, 1986
Napa Valley Winemakers: Signed free agent RF P. Quintana to a 2-year contract worth a total of $960,000.
Baltimore Gothams: Signed free agent MR L. Pian to a 1-year contract worth a total of $290,000.
Napa Valley Winemakers: Signed free agent MR S. Sorensen to a 3-year contract worth a total of $705,000.
Boston Settlers: Signed free agent 3B J. Padilla to a 3-year contract worth a total of $3,190,000.

Sunday, November 16th, 1986
Toronto Osprey: Signed free agent 2B J. Torres to a 3-year contract worth a total of $8,000,000.
San Diego Fathers: Signed free agent 3B I. Rodríguez to a minor league contract.
San Diego Fathers: Signed free agent SS É. Loiselle to a 1-year contract worth a total of $700,000.

Monday, November 17th, 1986
Toronto Osprey: Signed free agent LF C. Meléndez to a 3-year contract worth a total of $3,750,000.

Tuesday, November 18th, 1986
Napa Valley Winemakers: Signed free agent CL C. Galván to a 2-year contract worth a total of $990,000.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed free agent SS G. Hodge to a 1-year contract worth a total of $300,000.
San Diego Fathers: Signed free agent 1B A. Fidal to a minor league contract.
Columbus Crusaders: Signed free agent RF S. Anderson to a 2-year contract worth a total of $13,460,000.

Wednesday, November 19th, 1986
Napa Valley Winemakers: Signed free agent SP A. Hernández to a 2-year contract worth a total of $1,710,000.
New York Panthers: Signed free agent 2B K. Shaffer to a 1-year contract worth a total of $850,000.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed free agent 2B D. O'Neal to a minor league contract.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed free agent LF J. Man to a minor league contract.
Napa Valley Winemakers: Signed free agent MR Y. Suzuki to a minor league contract.

Thursday, November 20th, 1986
Columbus Crusaders: Signed free agent SP C. Gilbert to a 1-year contract worth a total of $890,000.
Toronto Osprey: Signed free agent 3B C. Chapa to a 3-year contract worth a total of $1,500,000.

Friday, November 21st, 1986
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed free agent 1B J. Román to a minor league contract.
Rio Grande Roadrunners: Signed free agent SS M. Villalobos to a 3-year contract worth a total of $31,350,000.

Saturday, November 22nd, 1986
St. Louis Terriers: Signed free agent CF T. Kousoulas to a minor league contract.
Napa Valley Winemakers: Signed free agent MR M. Terada to a 3-year contract worth a total of $10,500,000.
Boston Settlers: Signed free agent MR H. Clark to a 2-year contract worth a total of $4,530,000.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed free agent RF Z. Butler to a minor league contract.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed free agent RF F. Li to a minor league contract.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed free agent MR E. Cole to a 3-year contract worth a total of $2,325,000.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:25 PM   #53
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Sheesh, kaos, leave some for the rest of us, eh?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:27 PM   #54
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Sheesh, kaos, leave some for the rest of us, eh?

Eh, I'm spending a lot on guys who may well not pan out. It's a risk. :P
SBL:
Charlotte Monarchs (1992-1994) 237 - 186
kaosfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:27 PM   #55
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Okay so who was the original? Its still pretty funny, not even knowing the story, because yeah, who south of the border has red hair?

We used to have a whiny owner in the league....

Ok we used to have alot of whiny owners in the league....

Ok we still have alot of whiny owners in the league.......

Oh wait.. I am getting sidetracked....

Anyhows, a previous owner once made a trade with me that involved a draft pick (back when draft pick trading was allowed). It resulted in him having two 1st round draft picks, and one being traded to me. The day of the draft, Dark Cloud accidentally traded the wrong one (which was something like 4-5 picks lower but still in the first round). With my pick I ended up getting my top pick on my draft list, (a player that was something like 5th or 6th on the other owner's list). He ended up drafting someone who was like 7th or 8th on his list but completely not on my list at all.

The guy went crazy and was unrelenting to Dark Cloud because of an honest mistake. So just to get him to stop, I offered to just swap the picks and take a guy that was never even on my draft list just to get him to chill out.

The other owner ended up finding about 7 other things to complain about in the next season or two and ended up leaving before either player ever made it to the majors. For fun and posterity, I asked for the guy I got to be named "Red Headed Stepchild" since he was the player no one wanted

Old 12-09-2008, 09:27 PM   #56
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosfere View Post
Eh, I'm spending a lot on guys who may well not pan out. It's a risk. :P

I think most of those guys will pan out, I think.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:28 PM   #57
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Sunday, November 23rd, 1986
Hartford Harpooners: Signed free agent 2B R. Stace to a 2-year contract worth a total of $1,500,000.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed free agent CF A. Muńóz to a minor league contract.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed free agent C M. Christensen to a minor league contract.

Monday, November 24th, 1986
Chicago Black Sox: Signed free agent C Y. Chong to a 4-year contract worth a total of $34,520,000.
San Diego Fathers: Signed free agent 2B D. Thompson to a minor league contract.

Tuesday, November 25th, 1986
Boston Settlers: Signed free agent SP R. Fritz to a 2-year contract worth a total of $10,780,000.
Brooklyn Brownstones: Signed free agent 2B J. Valéncia to a minor league contract.
Napa Valley Winemakers: Signed free agent CF E. Colón to a minor league contract.
Napa Valley Winemakers: Signed free agent SP J. Soto to a minor league contract.

Wednesday, November 26th, 1986
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed free agent C M. Torres to a minor league contract.
Napa Valley Winemakers: Signed free agent RF J. Lane to a 3-year contract worth a total of $7,110,000.
Hartford Harpooners: Signed free agent LF C. González to a 2-year contract worth a total of $380,000.
San Diego Fathers: Signed free agent RF L. López to a minor league contract.
Napa Valley Winemakers: Signed free agent MR T. Charles to a minor league contract.

Thursday, November 27th, 1986
San Diego Fathers: Signed free agent 3B M. Montoya to a 2-year contract worth a total of $3,920,000.
Boston Settlers: Signed free agent C B. Thomas to a 2-year contract worth a total of $780,000.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed free agent CF E. Wilson to a minor league contract.

Friday, November 28th, 1986
Napa Valley Winemakers: Signed free agent LF R. Fry to a minor league contract.
San Diego Fathers: Signed free agent RF J. Mendoza to a minor league contract.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed free agent 1B D. González to a 4-year contract worth a total of $14,800,000.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed free agent C R. Alarcon to a 1-year contract worth a total of $350,000.
New York Panthers: Signed free agent SP W. Valenzuela to a 1-year contract worth a total of $400,000.
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed free agent 2B D. Marshall to a 1-year contract worth a total of $250,000.

Saturday, November 29th, 1986
Atlanta Firecrackers: Signed free agent SS J. Chase to a 3-year contract worth a total of $3,050,000.
Toronto Osprey: Signed free agent 1B A. Montgomery to a 3-year contract worth a total of $8,000,000.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:29 PM   #58
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Or at least reach something comparable to their ratings. As to whether that gets you naything, that's another story.

There aren't too many players that don't at least approach their potential ratings if they don't start too late, and most of those guys are either close to their ratings are not too close to 25.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:29 PM   #59
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:
I think most of those guys will pan out, I think.

Here's hoping.

Well, for me, anyway. Hehe.
SBL:
Old 12-09-2008, 09:29 PM   #60
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

That is all of the signings for tonight. Still quite a few stellar superstars available on day 2 of free agency tomorrow night!

Old 12-09-2008, 09:29 PM   #61
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
We used to have a whiny owner in the league....

Ok we used to have alot of whiny owners in the league....

Ok we still have alot of whiny owners in the league.......

Oh wait.. I am getting sidetracked....

Anyhows, a previous owner once made a trade with me that involved a draft pick (back when draft pick trading was allowed). It resulted in him having two 1st round draft picks, and one being traded to me. The day of the draft, Dark Cloud accidentally traded the wrong one (which was something like 4-5 picks lower but still in the first round). With my pick I ended up getting my top pick on my draft list, (a player that was something like 5th or 6th on the other owner's list). He ended up drafting someone who was like 7th or 8th on his list but completely not on my list at all.

The guy went crazy and was unrelenting to Dark Cloud because of an honest mistake. So just to get him to stop, I offered to just swap the picks and take a guy that was never even on my draft list just to get him to chill out.

The other owner ended up finding about 7 other things to complain about in the next season or two and ended up leaving before either player ever made it to the majors. For fun and posterity, I asked for the guy I got to be named "Red Headed Stepchild" since he was the player no one wanted

The problem was, the game doesn't distinguish between draft picks when they're traded. So if you traded a first round pick to another team, but then acquired another one, I'd have to either 1) track those first rounders or 2) the game will just deal them indiscriminately.

It's kinda a pain. But as it turns out, Knapp ended up making the majors and that other guy, we never heard from (said owner or said player) ever again.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:32 PM   #62
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Got a lot more of who I was aiming that there, at least. Would have looked to have gotten Montgomery back, though.

Darn you, kaos!

Old 12-09-2008, 09:32 PM   #63
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:
That is all of the signings for tonight. Still quite a few stellar superstars available on day 2 of free agency tomorrow night!

You're kidding me?

I can't believe the big money guys are holding out! What boogerheads!
SBL:
Old 12-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #64
Tasan
College Starter

Okay, I actually looked up this little incident at one point for one reason or another. The guy really sounded unhinged when it all went down. I can understand some of the feeling, but reasonableness has to win out eventually.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:35 PM   #65
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
You're kidding me?

I can't believe the big money guys are holding out! What boogerheads!

Yeah almost none of the big players signed. That really makes the next sim a sweat-fest, especially if you are leading and can't make a new, higher offer.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:35 PM   #66
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Never did find out. Who got Domingo Sanchez, the old BAL CF, a sim or two ago? I hate how this game erases Transactions before October. It really is one of the stupidest design decisions of all time.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #67
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Okay, I actually looked up this little incident at one point for one reason or another. The guy really sounded unhinged when it all went down. I can understand some of the feeling, but reasonableness has to win out eventually.

I was way too nice to him, in retrospect. But oh well.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #68
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Never did find out. Who got Domingo Sanchez, the old BAL CF, a sim or two ago? I hate how this game erases Transactions before October. It really is one of the stupidest design decisions of all time.

St. Louis (nee Boston Bombers)

3 years/$12.375 million, the first of those being last season since that's when he signed, tho.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-09-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #69
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That guy was unhinged. Glad I was in New York for most of that. I probably would have unloaded on his arse.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:37 PM   #70
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:

Nuh-uh!

Imaginary baseball is serious business!

Looks like I got 5 of the 8 major league contracts I offered which closed tonight. I'm content with that.

I'm shaking my fist at a couple of pitchers, though!
SBL:
Old 12-09-2008, 09:37 PM   #71
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
St. Louis (nee Boston Bombers)

3 years/$12.375 million

Thanks. Noticed you got Kosoulas too for an MLC.

I don't know if this topic came up at all today, but I really hate the MLC system.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:38 PM   #72
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:
That guy was unhinged. Glad I was in New York for most of that. I probably would have unloaded on his arse.

Deviant.
SBL:
Old 12-09-2008, 09:38 PM   #73
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

I don't know if this topic came up at all today, but I really hate the MLC system.

Glad it worked out for you, today, tho.

Grumble.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:38 PM   #74
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nuh-uh!

Imaginary baseball is serious business!

Looks like I got 5 of the 8 major league contracts I offered which closed tonight. I'm content with that.

I'm shaking my fist at a couple of pitchers, though!

Was Edward Cole one of them? If so, you more than held your own against my MLC and major league minimum contract blitz.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:39 PM   #75
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Glad it worked out for you, today, tho.

Grumble.

What? Who did I get that you were looking at? Honestly, I didn't notice getting any of the really talented guys.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #76
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Deviant.

That's what Mom likes to call me.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #77
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
What? Who did I get that you were looking at? Honestly, I didn't notice getting any of the really talented guys.

I just go after tons of them. Always. It never works. But I guess the guys can never know where the team will be in the next decade, where things to work out, so they get scared.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #78
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am considering my own "Wall" of sorts, which will actually be Chief Rum based. I will call it the Chief Rum Medal of Excellence, and will be awarded to great Ranchero players up through 1973, and Firecracker players from 1976 onward.

Cuz I'm a copycat of Commo.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:43 PM   #79
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just go after tons of them. Always. It never works. But I guess the guys can never know where the team will be in the next decade, where things to work out, so they get scared.

Well, especially your teams. Today, St. Louis, tomorrow Jefferson City!

Old 12-09-2008, 09:45 PM   #80
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:
Was Edward Cole one of them? If so, you more than held your own against my MLC and major league minimum contract blitz.

Nope... 1B González, SS Villalobos, and 3B Padilla are the three big league offers I lost.

Offered MLCs to 2B Valéncia, 3B Rodríguez, RF Mendoza, and LF Calderón and lost 'em all. :P
SBL:

Last edited by kaosfere : 12-09-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:46 PM   #81
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I am considering my own "Wall" of sorts, which will actually be Chief Rum based. I will call it the Chief Rum Medal of Excellence, and will be awarded to great Ranchero players up through 1973, and Firecracker players from 1976 onward.

Cuz I'm a copycat of Commo.

I'm working on something similar...only, it'll just be a straight retiring of numbers of old Terriers players and claiming guys who played in Compton or Chicago, too, so long as they played for me.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:50 PM   #82
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:

I've never understood your facination with him CR. You asked for him in a deal before when I had him, and you would have gotten him too if we would have settled on the big players in it. He just never moved much development wise. Other guys I had were lapping him. To each their own I guess.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:51 PM   #83
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Well, especially your teams. Today, St. Louis, tomorrow Jefferson City!

This is the first team I've actually moved at all, it just so happens that they've been logging the miles. Since 1964, it's been El Paso to New Orleans to Boston and now to St. Louis. Part of the reason I moved them to St. Louis was so that they'd remain someplace for good presumably. At least as long as I'm around with them.

I only moved Chicago to the Quad Cities and that was in part because they were awful there, but moved them back once they got good (albeit with a different nickname). Other than that, Compton was stable until they got moved to bring back another historic franchise and the original Terriers of course, were folded. Had that not happened, I doubt we'd be here.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:51 PM   #84
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:
I've never understood your facination with him CR.

Who? Search doesn't show anyone named "Kosoulas" or any reasonable variant thereof.
SBL:
Old 12-09-2008, 09:52 PM   #85
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Who? Search doesn't show anyone named "Kosoulas" or any reasonable variant thereof.

Kousoulas
Old 12-09-2008, 09:52 PM   #86
Tasan
College Starter

Kousoulas

Greek CF, which explains the spelling ;- )
Old 12-09-2008, 09:54 PM   #87
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

New file is up!

Old 12-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #88
kaosfere
College Prospect

Ah!

Eh. I can see the appeal. He's a good base stealer with solid plate presence. Wouldn't be worth too much of a look if he couldn't hold down CF, but that would make him a good cheap backup outfielder and pinch runner.

I'd take him for league minimum! Or would have, with Osprey Mark 2: Small Ball.
SBL:

Last edited by kaosfere : 12-09-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #89
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've never understood your facination with him CR. You asked for him in a deal before when I had him, and you would have gotten him too if we would have settled on the big players in it. He just never moved much development wise. Other guys I had were lapping him. To each their own I guess.

Actually, I didn't remember him from before. Was he someone I asked you about? I didn't even look at his ratings, just his potentials. Unless I offer more than MLCs, I don't ever bother looking at his currents. I agree, though, now, no big whoop missing out on him, especially if he hasn't moved off of those currents in a while.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #90
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is the first team I've actually moved at all, it just so happens that they've been logging the miles. Since 1964, it's been El Paso to New Orleans to Boston and now to St. Louis. Part of the reason I moved them to St. Louis was so that they'd remain someplace for good presumably. At least as long as I'm around with them.

I only moved Chicago to the Quad Cities and that was in part because they were awful there, but moved them back once they got good (albeit with a different nickname). Other than that, Compton was stable until they got moved to bring back another historic franchise and the original Terriers of course, were folded. Had that not happened, I doubt we'd be here.

Well, maybe it's more about you moving then.

And I know you don't like to, but I still count St. Petersburg to Compton as a move.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:59 PM   #91
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:

And I know you don't like to, but I still count St. Petersburg to Compton as a move.

City of Compton!

da-na-na

Oy. Sorry, in a silly mood tonight.
SBL:
Old 12-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #92
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

It was. But it was a good one. Don't hate.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #93
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nope... 1B González, SS Villalobos, and 3B Padilla are the three big league offers I lost.

Offered MLCs to 2B Valéncia, 3B Rodríguez, RF Mendoza, and LF Calderón and lost 'em all. :P

If it makes you feel any better, I don't really think Padilla's worth much, and Gonzalez, happy as I am to get him, is almost certainly just a platoon 1B, as he is poor against lefties (I signed him because I already have the lefty portion of the 1B platoon).

Now Villalobos is huge. But I am gladhe went back to Rio. It sucks that Cringer's busy schedule led to him losing Villalobos and Adams.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:01 PM   #94
kaosfere
College Prospect

Speaking of silly nicknames, I am amused by Skip "Skip" Adams.
SBL:
Old 12-09-2008, 10:01 PM   #95
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It was. But it was a good one. Don't hate.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:10 PM   #96
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hmm...seems Skip Adams was miffed at my $1 M, 1 year offer. I got a better reaction from Villalobos from my MLC offer.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:12 PM   #97
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Because I'm bored and wanted to go over it again here is the thread for anyone interested.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #98
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:
Hmm...seems Skip Adams was miffed at my $1 M, 1 year offer. I got a better reaction from Villalobos from my MLC offer.

SBL:
Old 12-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #99
kaosfere
College Prospect

d ... o.... so hypnotic ... l ... a...
SBL:
Old 12-09-2008, 10:41 PM   #100
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Pretty cool looking over those old draft picks....6 players in that 1st round have played for my Gothams...including the two players debated over.
Poole, the much fought after #11 pick, hit .304 last season and is currently in the FA pool demanding big bucks.

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote