Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The St. Louis Terriers to return to FOOL

ST. LOUIS -- Twenty years have passed since the last St. Louis Terriers teams took the field. Now, after the announcement that the Long Island Violators will return to their native city in Boston to become the Settlers again in 1987, the Boston Bombers will cede the city back to the original franchise, paying respect to that team's roots here.

"We moved here because Boston deserved a major league franchise. We're delighted to have spent time here and we're sorry we weren't able to deliver on our promise of a championship. But we're excited to see the day when the city of Boston gets to raise a well deserved banner and it seems fitting to us, that the Settlers get to do that here," said D.C. Daly, owner of the Bombers franchise.

Daly, who has the longest tenure in FOOL, has announced that his team will return to the city that he created his legacy from 1961-1965, winning five straight RL pennants and two FOOL Classic titles before the team went belly up after the 1965 season.

"We always said that we wondered what would've happened if St. Louis had stayed around. Well, we decided to try to make that happen and we have."

Starting in 1987, the Republic League will welcome the Terriers back to the majors for the first time in 22 seasons. The Terriers will play at New Terriers Park with a view of the Gateway Arch and the city couldn't be happier.

"We've had a big gaping hole for the past 20-odd years since those boys left town. It's about time they came back and made us whole again," said St. Louis Mayor Bob Briggendorf.

The same Terriers classic color scheme will return, update with a splash of red taken from the city flag of St. Louis. "It's our way to pay homage to the city that birthed this team that's rising from the ashes."

A little known fact is that the same fleur de leis that the former New Orleans Pelicans franchise wore when the team wore when the team was based there, is the same exact one (though, different colors) than what the Terriers used as an alternate logo. D.C. hinted that the secondary logo would eventually make it's return, as well.

"This is a great day for FOOL, as two historic franchises make their rightful return. They should never again leave, either. They're part of what makes this league great," said Daly.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-08-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

TERRIERS ANNOUNCE TEAM HALL OF FAME
The legacy of the Terriers wasn't just in their history-making 5 straight RL titles (until the 10-year run of the Hartford Harpooners eclipsed that mark) but in the fact that the Terriers former players fueled the success of many of FOOL's major dynasties.

As a result, the team has decided to create a hall of fame to honor those players past and present who come from Terriers lineage and who had a major impact in the game of baseball.

"Let's face it, Terriers really were the lifeblood of FOOL. As the league's first dynasty, with them, the league might have died. Ownership was considered inept when the team died, but really, if you think about, they did the entire league a favor by effectively standing down at the height of their legacy," said present Terriers owner D.C. Daly.

The first inductees into the Terriers Legacy of Fame will be named at a ceremony in St. Louis in mid-December.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:11 PM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

First set of honorees: SP Pete McKeane, SP Benny Myers, SP Joe Morris, SP Gabriel Prado, 2B Christian Larsen, C Ralph Nicholson

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-09-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:16 PM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Even though, he only signed a one-day contract with the team to retire, OF Mac Ramussen embodies the Terriers spirit more than any other player. As a guy who signed with D.C. Daly in his days with the Chicago Thunderstorms and later played for him in Boston, "Big Mac" is a guy who more than anyone in FOOL history understood the meaning of team, perseverance and dedication. As a result, the Terriers are proud to retire the number 34 as a result of his dedication to the sport of baseball and commitment to Terrier values throughout his entire career.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-09-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:22 PM   #5
kaosfere
College Prospect

Awesome retro font there, DC. What's that one called?

Makes me think Blue Jays.
SBL:
Charlotte Monarchs (1992-1994) 237 - 186
kaosfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:24 PM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosfere View Post
Awesome retro font there, DC. What's that one called?

Makes me think Blue Jays.

That's precisely the one I'm using there. It's part of the set of major league fonts I have on tap and this is the Blue Jays retro one. The thought being 1) I'm a RL Jays fan and 2) the only other font I had for the Terriers was the same one I used for Valdosta's banners, etc., so I needed to deviate for the jersey logos somehow. Seemed like a good fit, since I'd never use it for anything else.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-09-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:24 PM   #7
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
That's precisely the one I'm using there. It's part of the set of major league fonts I have on tap and this is the Blue Jays retro one.

Ah! No wonder it had that effect on me, then!

Well used.
SBL:
Charlotte Monarchs (1992-1994) 237 - 186
kaosfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:25 PM   #8
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosfere View Post
Ah! No wonder it had that effect on me, then!

Well used.

Thank you, sir!
Old 12-09-2008, 10:39 PM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Now come the third class of inductees. Those members who have actually played for the franchise, but during its past years in other cities. Still, the franchise wanted to honor those players who played hard for the franchise in past years or who had a link to Terriers ownership via D.C. Daly.

So far, that list extends to Floyd Yarbrough who pitched tireless for those terrible El Paso teams from 1967-1973, before being rescued by DC in 1974, pitching Quad City to a RL pennant that year and winning titles in his career with Chicago in 1975 and Hartford in 1977. Prior to that, he was a two-time College Pitcher of the Year at BYU and a 3-time FOOL All-Star and most notably, ended his FOOL career as the all-time strikeout leader with 3,490 Ks.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-09-2008 at 10:40 PM.