Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
rowech
Pro Starter

2013-14 MLB Off Season Thread

This is clearly an off-season topic so the Hot Stove League begins.

Reds are actively trying to trade Brandon Phillips who has apparently become a real problem.

The Real McCoy | www.daytondailynews.com

rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The leading rumor seems to be Atlanta ... but I have an incredibly tough time seeing that happening. The Braves historically shun players who have any personality at all, much less a personality as volatile as Phillips.

Maybe it's a different clubhouse with Chipper gone though, might be willing to acquire a player that doesn't hunt, dip or mudbog.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
PilotMan
Head Coach

LA is already looking at locking up Kershaw. Good for them. I was thinking 5/6yr deal, but this seems to blow that idea out of the water.

Clayton Kershaw offered deal in $300M range by Los Angeles Dodgers, source says - ESPN Los Angeles

Quote:
The Los Angeles Dodgers offered left-hander Clayton Kershaw essentially a lifetime contract in the range of $300 million -- "an A-Rod deal" -- earlier this season, according to a source with knowledge of its scope and structure.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I saw that yesterday and $300M seems insane for any player, but especially a pitcher. I hope Uncle Neddy does it because if LA actually spent their money wisely, the rest of baseball could be in trouble.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I predict the Royals will lock in some mediocre talent for too much, trade too many prospects for players not worth what they gave away, and pat themselves on the back for it

The only unexpected part is which names to plug into the mad lib. Do they sign Cruz to a stupid deal to get a "run producer" or do they do something like trade for Phillips or Kinsler, not realizing that those guys aren't worth the salary they will be making for the life of the contract? Do they overpay to keep Ervin Santana and buy high after the smart buy low last offseason? Do they tender players like Luke Hochevar and Emilio Bonifacio despite the fact that they won't be worth their arbitration salaries?

It's now "will Dayton screw things up" but "how"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-20-2013 at 10:39 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
PilotMan
Head Coach

I predict that LA brings in some more offensive punch, trades Either, signs a new 2b, and 3b, and locks up Kershaw.

Like Steam?

Old 10-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I predict that LA brings in some more offensive punch, trades Either, signs a new 2b, and 3b, and locks up Kershaw.

Even more concerning, god tends to send plagues in sets of ten. This would just be the first...
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
This is clearly an off-season topic so the Hot Stove League begins.

Reds are actively trying to trade Brandon Phillips who has apparently become a real problem.

The Real McCoy | www.daytondailynews.com

The Reds have to make some difficult choices. As is they need to somehow improve while losing their second best hitter. There isn't any help for 2014 in the minors and at best the Reds will have 10 mil to spend. The only way to improve is to trade pieces of the lineup and hope the production plus savings improve the team.

This will be Jocketty's most difficult off-season.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Reports coming out that Tim Lincecum will test the free agent market. Local stations claiming that this is just posturing and negotiations, but I have a sad feeling that Timmy will be pitching in a different uniform next year.

Apparently the Giants offered him a two year deal, and he didn't like that idea. I'm assuming it's going to take 3+ years at around $45M total to get him.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 10-20-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I saw that yesterday and $300M seems insane for any player, but especially a pitcher. I hope Uncle Neddy does it because if LA actually spent their money wisely, the rest of baseball could be in trouble.

SI

The dodgers are printing money at this point and Kershaw needs to be signed. Not sure this constitutes unwise.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
The dodgers are printing money at this point and Kershaw needs to be signed. Not sure this constitutes unwise.

I think he is referring to the ease at which they are spending money at this point. As in, if they went for more value picks and improved all the areas with that money, instead of spending wildly here and there.

Clearly the massive salary that they took on over the last year and a half will not continue. The team needed names that would put butts back in the seats and put some marks in the W column. They achieved that, and then some.

I think that they will move more toward the value picks here and there, while not being afraid to spend the big money to bring in the guys, more like the Yankees have done in the past. I wouldn't expect them to just blow money out the window to just grab the biggest names that happen to be available.

Like Steam?

Old 10-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The leading rumor seems to be Atlanta ... but I have an incredibly tough time seeing that happening. The Braves historically shun players who have any personality at all, much less a personality as volatile as Phillips.

Maybe it's a different clubhouse with Chipper gone though, might be willing to acquire a player that doesn't hunt, dip or mudbog.

Wouldn't that guarantee the exit of McCann? Maybe that is the case anyway but there is no way Phillips and McCann co-exist in Turner Field much less the Braves clubhouse.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #13
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Wouldn't that guarantee the exit of McCann? Maybe that is the case anyway but there is no way Phillips and McCann co-exist in Turner Field much less the Braves clubhouse.

i didnt think the braves were even considering McCann at this point...

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
I think he is referring to the ease at which they are spending money at this point. As in, if they went for more value picks and improved all the areas with that money, instead of spending wildly here and there.

Clearly the massive salary that they took on over the last year and a half will not continue. The team needed names that would put butts back in the seats and put some marks in the W column. They achieved that, and then some.

I think that they will move more toward the value picks here and there, while not being afraid to spend the big money to bring in the guys, more like the Yankees have done in the past. I wouldn't expect them to just blow money out the window to just grab the biggest names that happen to be available.

Well, I cant think of one big name signing that they'll be making in this offseason. Cano is possibly, but unless he learns to play third and takes half as many years, it's probably not a match
Old 10-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
i didnt think the braves were even considering McCann at this point...

I believe they might give it lip service but that's about it. I don't expect him to be back.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #16
SackAttack
Head Coach

I don't expect the Dodgers to be big players in free agency this year. They're not going to give Cano ten years, and if the contract is 5 years, I expect the Yankees to win that bid anyway.

OTOH, there's talks of trading for Price and I think that's just as unrealistic. The farm doesn't have the pieces to be a big player in the trade market right now, either. Lock up Kershaw. You've then got Kershaw, Greinke and Ryu for sure in the rotation with Billingsley and Beckett coming back. If you don't trust either one of them to be ready to go for Opening Day, either retain Nolasco or see about Tanaka in international free agency. Stephen Fife is also a #5 starter option who could give the Dodgers solid innings without being an eight figure salary.

Offensively, the issues are going to be 2B and 3B. If you can get a cromulent 2B bat without breaking the bank, you can try to retain Uribe for defense (or find another glove-first 3B type). I'm not looking for All-Star offensive production. Just...not an offensive liability.

Not sure the Dodgers should be looking to trade away OFs at this point. Crawford, Kemp and Ethier all have health-related question marks.

If you move one, you remove one of those question marks, but then you still have to find offense to slot in there for when one of the other two misses time in 2014 (as you have to assume one or both will, and then hope you get lucky and they DON'T).
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #17
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Dodgers should sign Arroyo. He'd be a great 4th starter for them.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #18
tarcone
Coordinator

Cardinals need a SS and a CFer. A LH SP would be nice as well.
I imagine they will sign Beltran to a one year deal.

Cards have lots of trade bait. Young pitchers that need to be moved. SP Lynn will probably be traded.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #19
MrBug708
Head Coach

I do believe the Dodgers are trying to sign that Cuban 2B, but who knows if he can make the transition.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #20
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

NATS need... a manager, and a 5th starter.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #21
RedKingGold
College Starter

I have no idea what the Phillies will do this off-season. . .except continue their descent into mediocrity.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 10-20-2013 at 07:11 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #22
SackAttack
Head Coach

Which is as it should be.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #23
RedKingGold
College Starter

2008 must still sting, huh?
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #24
SackAttack
Head Coach

Fuck the Phillies. That's all I'm sayin'.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #25
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Fuck the Phillies. That's all I'm sayin'.

+1

Like Steam?

Old 10-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #26
Jas_lov
College Starter

The Yankees have a lot of money coming off the books so I expect them to make a splash. If A-Rod is suspended for all of 2014 then that's another $27 million for them to spend. Besides re-signing Cano I think they'll go after McCann and if they can't get Granderson back for cheap they'll try to get Beltran. They desperately need a C and RF. Probably need a SP as well. They want to get under $189 million but will still have a lot to spend.

Last edited by Jas_lov : 10-20-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #27
General Mike
Pro Starter

Mets won't do anything with the money they have. I'm done.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #28
korme
Go Reds

Jimmy L is stepping down.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #29
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Reports coming out that Tim Lincecum will test the free agent market. Local stations claiming that this is just posturing and negotiations, but I have a sad feeling that Timmy will be pitching in a different uniform next year.

Apparently the Giants offered him a two year deal, and he didn't like that idea. I'm assuming it's going to take 3+ years at around $45M total to get him.

COME TO BOSTON TIMMAH!!!!!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #30
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
LA is already looking at locking up Kershaw. Good for them. I was thinking 5/6yr deal, but this seems to blow that idea out of the water.

Clayton Kershaw offered deal in $300M range by Los Angeles Dodgers, source says - ESPN Los Angeles

Did they learn nothing from the Giants Zito-deal?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #31
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Jimmy L is stepping down.

Thank God.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #32
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Did they learn nothing from the Giants Zito-deal?

Kershaw is like vastly better than Zito ever was.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #33
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Thank God.

Yes, because the Tigers had so much success before he got here. Clearly, he was the problem.

When was the last time the Tigers made it to the post-season before Leyland was managing? Last time they made it to the ALCS? The World Series?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #34
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Yes, because the Tigers had so much success before he got here. Clearly, he was the problem.

When was the last time the Tigers made it to the post-season before Leyland was managing? Last time they made it to the ALCS? The World Series?

It's all because of Leyland? Not Verlander, Cabrera, etc?

Interestingly enough, Detroit is Leyland's first managerial job where he's had a winning record.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 10-21-2013 at 10:42 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #35
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

How many games has Leyland thrown away because of his stubborn, old-fashioined, bone-headed moves and non-moves? A hell of a lot more than he's won.

He was given it all to win, and he didn't do everything he could have with it. If the Tigers weren't in the AL Central, the Tigers would have been lucky to make the playoffs after '06.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #36
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
How many games has Leyland thrown away because of his stubborn, old-fashioined, bone-headed moves and non-moves? A hell of a lot more than he's won.

He was given it all to win, and he didn't do everything he could have with it. If the Tigers weren't in the AL Central, the Tigers would have been lucky to make the playoffs after '06.

He's easily the best manager the Tigers have had since Sparky Anderson.

While it's possible whoever replaces Leyland will be an upgrade, I think it's unlikely.

He took far too much blame for losses and never much credit for wins. I believe he played a large role in the Tigers' success these past few years.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #37
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
He took far too much blame for losses and never much credit for wins. I believe he played a large role in the Tigers' success these past few years.

If he had a mediocre roster, I would agree with you; however, he was given all the tools and players anyone could have wanted, and he was just ok.

Anyway, we'll just have to disagree.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #38
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Kershaw is like vastly better than Zito ever was.

Still. How often have ginormous "lifetime deals" to pitchers ever worked out?

The next one will be the first.

Too much risk.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-21-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #39
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Sabathia deal has worked out pretty damned well for the Yankees - even with his below par season this year.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #40
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
If he had a mediocre roster, I would agree with you; however, he was given all the tools and players anyone could have wanted, and he was just ok.

Anyway, we'll just have to disagree.
So making it to the ALCS is just ok?
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #41
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
So making it to the ALCS is just ok?

With this roster? Yes. Barely.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #42
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Scioscia makes stupid decisions all the time, and he is stubborn as hell. He overvalues defensive ability behind the plate at the cost of offensive ability. He plays too many punch and judy hitters over more powerful hitters (when he has them). The Angels have not won the AL West since 2009 and have missed the playoffs four years running, which is maddening for a team with this payroll.

All that said, no way in hell would I consider firing Scioscia.

You Detroit fans will miss Jim Leyland if you don't get an absolute stud to replace him.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #43
molson
General Manager

The odds of any MLB team winning any playoff series have to be right around 50%, maybe bumped up slightly due to starting pitching and home field advantage. (It looks like the Red Sox were very slight Vegas favorites in the ALCS). It seems like a lot of evaluation of managers is based on these series coin flips. Unless there's some glaring decision you can point too (like maybe Grady Little in '03), I don't think you can really blame a manager for almost any playoff series loss.

Last edited by molson : 10-21-2013 at 12:00 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #44
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
He's easily the best manager the Tigers have had since Sparky Anderson.

While it's possible whoever replaces Leyland will be an upgrade, I think it's unlikely.

I tend to agree with Schmidty here. Leyland did not do near enough with the talent and payroll that he had at his disposal. With an owner like Illitch, who put so much into this team to win a world series, Leyland was ultimately a failure in Detroit. Getting blown out in 2 world series and winning a mediocre AL central is just not good enough.

Now, who comes in to take over a loaded team with some bullpen issues and a bloated contract for a bloated player (Fielder)? It looks to be a great gig despite those issues, but who will it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #45
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Scioscia makes stupid decisions all the time, and he is stubborn as hell. He overvalues defensive ability behind the plate at the cost of offensive ability. He plays too many punch and judy hitters over more powerful hitters (when he has them). The Angels have not won the AL West since 2009 and have missed the playoffs four years running, which is maddening for a team with this payroll.

All that said, no way in hell would I consider firing Scioscia.

You Detroit fans will miss Jim Leyland if you don't get an absolute stud to replace him.

I'd love to have Scioscia back in Dodger blue. That's where he belongs anyway.

Like Steam?

Old 10-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #46
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The odds of any MLB team winning any playoff series have to be right around 50%, maybe bumped up slightly due to starting pitching and home field advantage. (It looks like the Red Sox were very slight Vegas favorites in the ALCS). It seems like a lot of evaluation of managers is based on these series coin flips. Unless there's some glaring decision you can point too (like maybe Grady Little in '03), I don't think you can really blame a manager for almost any playoff series loss.

FUCKING GRADY LITTLE!!!!
Old 10-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #47
PilotMan
Head Coach

Dodgers lock up Cuban infielder.

Los Angeles Dodgers reach deal with Cuban infield prospect Alexander Guerrero | MLB.com: News

Like Steam?

Old 10-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #48
PilotMan
Head Coach

dola

Mattingly goes public over frustrations dealing with contract status after team source says he will be back. Maybe they'll have second thoughts now?

Don Mattingly of Los Angeles Dodgers uncertain of return despite option - ESPN Los Angeles

Like Steam?

Old 10-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #49
SackAttack
Head Coach

ohpleaseohpleaseohplease

Let him go manage someone else.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #50
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Still. How often have ginormous "lifetime deals" to pitchers ever worked out?

The next one will be the first.

Too much risk.

How many three..err..two time Cy Young winners have come across FA when they are 26?

Yes, they don't "work" but it's not like long contracts have been around since 1920