Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-22-2008, 05:29 PM   #2701
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

The Day the Earth Stood Still: (8.5/10)

This movie got very terrible reviews, but I still enjoyed it.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:31 PM   #2702
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
The Day the Earth Stood Still: (8.5/10)

This movie got very terrible reviews, but I still enjoyed it.

Have you ever seen the original (I'm wondering if seeing the original changes the way people feel about the remake)?

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:05 PM   #2703
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Have you ever seen the original (I'm wondering if seeing the original changes the way people feel about the remake)?

/tk

When taken in the context of the time it was made, the original is an absolutel classic. I was crushed to see Keanu Reeves involved in this one.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #2704
tarcone
Coordinator

Yeah I liked the original a lot. I am wondering how the remake is. Could you expand on your feelings a little?
Thanks
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:43 PM   #2705
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I never saw the original, but plan to soon.

The movie certainly wasn't spectacular, but I dont think it was bad at all. Keanu Reeves was, well, Keanu Reeves. But to me, with the character he plays, he's tolerable. Jennifer Connelly was very good, but the rest of the acting was very forgettable.

Like I said, my thoughts are slightly skewed since I pretty much enjoy anything sci-fi. There were some awkward moments, but also some very cool scenes.

I also LOVED watching Giants Stadium get destroyed.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 12-22-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:18 AM   #2706
whomario
Pro Starter

Has anyone seen "Let the Right One In" ? Saw some very appreciative reviews on american sites via rottentomatoes and am rather surprised, because i didnīt think a slow-paced arty european film would get that.
I saw it a couple days ago and found it to be a real masterpiece.
Itīs based on a novel and basically is a youth/child drama wrapped arround a vampire story, only that that part is shown in a shockingly "matter of fact" way especially considering that the main protagonists are a 12 year old boy and a 12 year old looking vampire "girl" and that makes it very effective.
While typical vampire features are adressed, they arenīt exagerated and arenīt heavily featured but mainly just are "background noise".
Plus it offers very nice alternatives and even a (as far as i know) completely new thing (first time iīve seen what actually happens if a vampire enters a room uninvited) .

Pictures are very good, too, the setting (swedish winter) is reflected very nicely as well.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #2707
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Ironman: 6/10 - After all the good I've heard about this film from friends/family.. I was stoked.. about 1/2 of the way into the movie I was wondering if it would ever end. Actually I feel asleep on it and finished it this morning.. A 5 rating might even be more like I feel right now..

The Dead Girl: 8.5/10 - excellent movie

The Groomsmen: 8/10 - another great movie that really brought me into its story
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:36 PM   #2708
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - 7/10: Before the last half hour, I wanted to give it a 5/10. It was interesting, but just so slow paced and dull, I wanted to hurt myself. However, the last half hour completely redeems the rest and Casey Affleck is amazing as Robert Ford dealing with what he's done.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 12-24-2008 at 09:40 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:44 PM   #2709
molson
General Manager

The 40-Year-Old Virgin: 8/10

I've been out of the loop the last few years on the Seth Rogan/Judd Apatow/Steve Carell type comedies and I'm making an effort to catch up. I thought this was terrific. It's interesting to be old enough now where you can see movies made by guys that grew up on the same movies you did. The next generation is here (and actually, has been here, I'm just now getting around to seeing it).
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:28 PM   #2710
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Blindness: 9/10

Awesome. I have no idea what anyone else thought of this movie, haven't read any reviews or anything.

It was great and I would definitely recommend it.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:10 PM   #2711
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Just finished watching the first of many recent movies to catch up: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. To put this in context, here's how I rate the first three movies:

Raiders of the Lost Ark - 10/10 (2nd favorite movie of all time)
Temple of Doom - 1.5/10
Last Crusade - 7.5/10

I would rate Crystal Skull 6/10. I purposefully avoided reading anything about this and had no idea what the plot was. I felt most of the movie was forced, trying to re-live the old times but it had a hold because I did not know what the payoff was going to be. Going into the temple was exactly like National Treasure (same City of Gold) but that I was cool with that..until the

Spoiler
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:25 PM   #2712
tarcone
Coordinator

Narnia: The lion, the witch and the wardrobe. 9/10

Never read the book. But this movie was very good and had a lot of great messages in it. I watched it with 11 people on Christmas Eve, ranging in ages 7-55 and everyone really liked it.

Last edited by tarcone : 12-25-2008 at 10:25 PM.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:10 PM   #2713
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Lives of Others - 9.5/10: Wow. Just an amazing film about the Stazi in East Germany in the 1980s. The main character is superb in his role as the Stazi agent who starts having second thoughts. The way he can complete a scene with just a raised eyebrow and pursed lips is wonderful. A slight pause while on the telephone, a furrowed brow tells so much. The film, while lengthy (2 hrs and 15 minutes) never seems long and the action builds and builds as the movie goes on. Just perfectly done and one wonders how it must have been like living in East Germany under that.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 12-25-2008 at 11:18 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:03 AM   #2714
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The Lives of Others - 9.5/10: Wow. Just an amazing film about the Stazi in East Germany in the 1980s. The main character is superb in his role as the Stazi agent who starts having second thoughts. The way he can complete a scene with just a raised eyebrow and pursed lips is wonderful. A slight pause while on the telephone, a furrowed brow tells so much. The film, while lengthy (2 hrs and 15 minutes) never seems long and the action builds and builds as the movie goes on. Just perfectly done and one wonders how it must have been like living in East Germany under that.

I just watched this yesterday and agree with what you said. It was a great movie.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:00 AM   #2715
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Pursuit of Happyness - 9/10: I can't believe it has taken me this long to finally sit down and watch this movie. Will Smith is supurb.. and the movie really had me wondering what could possibly happen to him next.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #2716
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Seven Pounds: 7.5/10

I have to say though that reading through the critics reviews after the fact (I hate it when they spoil a major part of the plot and choose not to read them ahead of time) it seems like the people who were really slamming the movie might be complete idiots.

Spoiler

Just saw on video...

Dark Knight: 8.5/10. Ledger was worth watching for by himself but the plot wasn't really much different than any other superhero movie. Not sure what all the best picture buzz was about.

Burn After Reading: 8/10. Really got going after the first 45 minutes. Didn't care much for Pitt's character but the rest of the cast was really good. Maybe I am too used to him being serious or at least funny but in a smart way.

I have Transiberian waiting here about to be viewed. Didn't see any reviews of this one in this thread.

Last edited by panerd : 12-26-2008 at 12:18 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #2717
MikeVic
Head Coach

Pineapple Express - 7.5/10
A dude witnesses a murder, and tries to survive with his drug-dealing buddy. The movie was alright, but I felt most of the funny parts were in the trailer though. Not as good as Knocked Up, etc.

Elf - 8.5/10
Saw this for the first time. One of Santa's elves goes to New York to find his real dad, and hilarity ensues. There were a few laugh-out-loud moments, and overall a good movie. It gets bumped up since it's a Christmas movie, and I don't think there's been good ones released for awhile now.

The Spirit - 7.5/10
A guy was supposed to die, but instead kind of gets resurrected and decides to become the protector of a city. Some cool stylistic points, some neat parts, some funny moments, and some nice nice eye candy (Eva Mendes' ass probably bumped this up by 0.5). I thought Scarlett Johannsen didn't really do well though. Overall a decent movie.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:12 PM   #2718
Bad-example
College Starter

The Bucket List - 6.0 It had its moments but mostly was rather lame and tame. Gave up about 20 minutes before the ending. Yawn.

In Bruges - 8.0 Odd, entertaining, non-typical. Written and directed well. Not a big fan of Colin Farrell but he was ok here. Nice work by his partner, Brendan Gleeson. I get the feeling this one will be better the second time through.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:19 PM   #2719
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Dark Knight: 8.5/10. Ledger was worth watching for by himself but the plot wasn't really much different than any other superhero movie. Not sure what all the best picture buzz was about.

It's a bit different than normal superhero movies in that it really explores the nature of good and evil far more than the normal superhero film. Where in the normal film, there is an obvious good and evil, in TDK, the title character has to do some really shady things and go beyond the border of acceptable to get what he needs. Which is why there is this discussion of the White Knight (Harvey Dent) and the Dark Knight (Batman). And of course, what happens to Harvey and the conversation at the end of the film.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:27 PM   #2720
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Run Lola Run - 7/10: An entertaining, very stylized movie. Kind of reminded me a bit of Guy Richie's or Edgar Wright's work (both of whom I love). And the "Clue"-like "let's try that again" thing was highly enjoyable, adding a few other things like how the people she bumps into have their lives changed each time. Fast paced and fun.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:40 PM   #2721
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I was thinking more about the Indiana Jones movie today and I was really surprised at the number of anachronisms. Pretty sloppy work for Spielberg/Lucas/Marshall/Kennedy. Also, one of the big pet peeves I have with some movies are geographic inaccuracies. I know Mayans are the coolest civilization the world has ever known, but don't put them in South Dakota (Nat Treasure 2) or in the Amazon (Indy 4).
Old 12-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #2722
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Mayans get around, yo
Old 12-26-2008, 11:08 PM   #2723
Buccaneer
Head Coach

My god, I just watched my first superhero movie in 25 years (not a fan of the genre at all) and it was simply awesome: Ironman - 9/10
Old 12-27-2008, 09:32 AM   #2724
bignej
High School JV

Has anyone watched Horton Hears a Who? Wow, the religious undertones are incredibly thick. The animation was great but I was put off by the obvious purpose for the film and how it differed from Dr. Seuss'.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #2725
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
My god, I just watched my first superhero movie in 25 years (not a fan of the genre at all) and it was simply awesome: Ironman - 9/10

Treat yourself, my friend, and watch "The Dark Knight"
Old 12-27-2008, 09:56 AM   #2726
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Treat yourself, my friend, and watch "The Dark Knight"

Well, we did get both Batman Begins and Dark Knight. But I am hesitant since I am not much into really dark movies (no pun intended). For fun action, I like the tone of the Indy Jones, Mummy and Die Hard movies. But I'll see.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:01 AM   #2727
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
My god, I just watched my first superhero movie in 25 years (not a fan of the genre at all) and it was simply awesome: Ironman - 8.5/10

After sleeping on this and not reading anything about it yet, I revised my score downwards a little. The reason was solely the final battle scene - way too comic-book like. Plus, how did Stane learn how to manipulate and fly that huge suit flawlessly in such a short time? If there were no "bad guy" suit and Stark just went after Stane in the same manner he went after the rebels, then it would have been near perfect, imo.

Reading Ebert's review, I agree with this statement

Quote:
Downey's performance is intriguing, and unexpected. He doesn't behave like most superheroes: he lacks the psychic weight and gravitas. Tony Stark is created from the persona Downey has fashioned through many movies: irreverent, quirky, self-deprecating, wise-cracking.....You hire an actor for his strengths, and Downey would not be strong as a one-dimensional mighty-man.

I think one of the big turn-offs for me in the whole comicbook genre has been giving the hero supernatural powers, whether flaming on, being invisible, becoming a monster or an alien-type creature, being a cyborg, have psychic abilities, etc. Tony has none of that, apart from a souped-up pacemaker. He is simply doing weapons as wearables and his "powers" are simply personally mechanical.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 12-27-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:18 AM   #2728
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
I think one of the big turn-offs for me in the whole comicbook genre has been giving the hero supernatural powers, whether flaming on, being invisible, becoming a monster or an alien-type creature, being a cyborg, have psychic abilities, etc. Tony has none of that, apart from a souped-up pacemaker. He is simply doing weapons as wearables and his "powers" are simply personally mechanical.

I think you'll like Batman Begin and The Dark Knight then. Batman has no powers either. He's a rich, smart guy like Tony Stark.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:54 PM   #2729
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I dunno, he does have super gravely voice power .
Old 12-27-2008, 08:42 PM   #2730
rowech
Pro Starter

Hamlet 2 -- (6.5/10) -- Don't look for any Oscars in this one but I laughed quite a few times, especially at one joke. If you're going to be easily offended by some religious satire, stay away.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:28 PM   #2731
Lorena
Unregistered

Bee Movie - 7/10

Enjoyable movie about a bee (played by Jerry Seinfeld) that wants out of the "regular" bee jobs and goes out of his hive to find out what's out there.

Cute funny movie, but there were a lot of jokes that kids wouldn't understand. I laughed when Ray Liotta acted like one of his movie characters and when I LOLed, my daughter asked why and I couldn't explain it to her. Still, very enjoyable movies for kids and adults.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:03 PM   #2732
Jas_lov
College Starter

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull- 5/10

Terrible, just terrible. By far the worst in the series and that's saying a lot because Temple of Doom sucked. I agree with Bucc above, it just seemed forced. It moved along fairly slow and it just didn't feel like the other Indy movies. The final 30 minutes or so just put it over the top as an epic failure.

Hancock- 4/10

There really isn't much to say as it wasn't good at all. I also watched I am Legend recently which was much better than this trash.

I am Legend- 7/10

As I said, I recently watched this and it was ok. I wish they would have talked more about Nevill's past and focused more on how everything developed. Most of the movie was about Nevill and his dog surviving in New York and the shots of the city were great. I liked the movie but I just wish they had added a little more back story than what they did.

Last edited by Jas_lov : 12-28-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:07 PM   #2733
rowech
Pro Starter

While I guess it doesn't qualify as a movie, my wife and I picked up Freaks and Geeks Disc 1 from Netflix. I can't imagine why in the hell NBC didn't pick this show up. Amazing to think about how different all of the individuals involved might have a completely different life than they do now (possibly even worse because of being tied into TV too much?). Just a great all-around show.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:48 PM   #2734
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Golden Compass - 4/10: Seriously, seriously disappointed doesn't even begin to cover it. Seemed like the studio wanted a 1.5 hour movie and thus they crammed in as much as they good in that time frame, all the while forgetting to explain all sorts of stuff and playing down the religious themes to almost nil (well, the Magisterium look vaguely Catholic, but that's it). And then mangling a lot of the plot as well. I knew they were going to cut out the ending to the book (which is amazingly good) so that the movie ending could be "upbeat", but it was even more horrid to see it done like this.

One of the worse movie adaptations I've ever seen of a book. Pullman really deserved far more.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:32 AM   #2735
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
I am Legend- 7/10

As I said, I recently watched this and it was ok. I wish they would have talked more about Nevill's past and focused more on how everything developed. Most of the movie was about Nevill and his dog surviving in New York and the shots of the city were great. I liked the movie but I just wish they had added a little more back story than what they did.

good news for you. there's talk of a prequel.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:59 AM   #2736
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Charlie Wilson's War [6.5/10]

Hrm. Wasn't exactly sure where to go with the rating. I enjoyed the film, but it seems like one of those "greater than the sum of its parts" deals. Tom Hanks was good - no surprise there - but I am not a Julia Roberts fan and I think she was badly miscast. I'm hovering between a 6 and a 7, so I'll split the difference.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:01 AM   #2737
StLee
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

Refuse to subject myself to The Happening, because people I trust have told me that my life will never again be worth living after watching that foul wretched excuse of a flick. And I've heard that it was not very good.

I just subjected myself. WTF? Seriously? That movie could have been cut to 10 minutes and still have been the same movie. There was not one interesting character, no real fear, nothing that made the movie anything worthwhile of watching. Boo! Just, boo!
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #2738
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

just watched King of Kong, a documentary about competitive Donkey Kong players.

The movie was absolutely fascinating. I was watching while my wife was doing some baking, figuring she wouldn't be interested. She came in and got sucked in as well. There are apparently some criticism about the way the filmmakers manipulated the story somewhat, but I don't really care about that. I just found everyone involved to be completely fascinating. Every single person protrayed was ridiculously absurd, and just when you think it can't get any more bizarre, in walks Mr Awesome. As a documentary, I'm not sure how I'd rate it, but in terms of entertainment, I'd give it an 8.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #2739
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

as a frame or reference, right before King of Kong I watched Burn After Reading which was full of absurd fictional characters. Not one could hold a candle to any of the real-life nutjobs in King of Kong.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:51 PM   #2740
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Owning Mahowny - 8/10

Philip Seymour Hoffman in one of his breakthrough roles in a 2003 movie based on a real-life Canadian bank manager who stole over $10 million from his bank in order to satisfy his gambling addiction.

Hoffman is remarkable in this one, quietly intense and perfectly inhabits this character. What a talent! John Hurt is equally good as the swarmy casino manager who will stop at nothing to ensure he squeezes every last penny out of his whale. Minnie Driver gets the thankless role of the underwritten girlfriend but it doesn't take too much away from a very interesting story.

P.S. I Love You - 5/10
Schmaltzy romantic comedy (I think?) about a widow who can't seem to get over the death of her young husband.

I really thought Gerard Butler did a great job of bringing life to his character - put a lesser actor in that role and you have yourself a disaster. So good casting there.

Swank is a good actress and she does what she can with her part but I just don't think the script was very good. Oh, and I wanted to punch Harry Connick Jr. in the face whenever he was onscreen.

Mediocre at best overall.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:18 PM   #2741
Lorena
Unregistered

Michael Clayton - 6/10

Too much stuff going on, although I liked the way it began and the way it ended. The stuff in between was pretty mediocre... sort of a slow movie.

Last edited by Lorena : 12-29-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:25 PM   #2742
Izulde
Head Coach

Seven Pounds - 7.5
Yes, it's predictable as hell, but Will Smith and Rosario Dawson are absolutely brilliant in this movie and make this a mesmerizing one to watch. Be forwarned, it's also the saddest, most depressing movie I've seen in years.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:27 PM   #2743
AgustusM
College Prospect

In an odd twist of circumstances I have seen three movies at the actual theater in the last week.

Why is that odd? Because due to a house full of kids, my own busy business and coaching football, basketball and baseball, I have only seen 5 movies in an actual theater in the past three years.

Four Christmases 8/10 - I like Vince Vaughn and I have the hots for Reese, but I had very low expectations for this one. Wife wanted to go and so I went, and laughed my fool head off even though it was predictably predictable.

Curious Case of Benjamin Button 7/10 - I had a very hard one grading this one. To start this movie was so different from my expectations I had a hard time deciding if I liked it. To start it was long, very long - almost three hours and secondly I don't think I was ready for the type of movie it was. A bit of Forrest Gump, meets the Notebook, meets Big Fish. I will say this, I spent a good portion of the movie thinking what the hell is this, and another portion thinking how long it was. But on the plus side I have not stop thinking about it, and would definitely see it again.

Bedtime Stories 6/10 - Fine for what it was. My older kids really wanted to see it and so I took them. Predictable Adam Sandler fare and the kids really liked it. Odd dichotomy to the Brad Pitt movie which I had seen just twelve hours earlier.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:49 PM   #2744
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM View Post
Curious Case of Benjamin Button 7/10 - I had a very hard one grading this one. To start this movie was so different from my expectations I had a hard time deciding if I liked it. To start it was long, very long - almost three hours and secondly I don't think I was ready for the type of movie it was. A bit of Forrest Gump, meets the Notebook, meets Big Fish. I will say this, I spent a good portion of the movie thinking what the hell is this, and another portion thinking how long it was. But on the plus side I have not stop thinking about it, and would definitely see it again.

Was waiting to see someone else's opinion first. I think its parts are terrific. The movie itself just doesn't have a purpose, but that in itself is done on purpose. The director called it a love letter to New Orleans, and I can certainly saw why, you can really see where parts of the story are symbolic with the history and path of the city. (Not to mention how much effort they put into being as authentic as possible.) My review elsewhere of it:

A mature Forrest Gump; but even moreso a "love note to New Orleanians" and to all the nomad misfits out there. Since I am both, I loved this movie. The great: best edited and shot movie of the year. The not so great: Probably too long, many might not get a real raison d'etre out of it. But if you are a native New Orleanian, or someone who has lived the life of a traveling outcast, you should love it.

(I would give it a 9/10)
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #2745
Lorena
Unregistered

Ratatouille- 9/10

A rat helps a clumsy garbage man how to be a world class chef. What a great movie, I was rooting for the little mouse from beginning to end.

The Invasion of the Body Snatchers - 7/10

Good pacing, suspenseful and creepy. Holds up well for a 30 year old movie.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:33 PM   #2746
Lorena
Unregistered

Bridge to Terabithia - 7/10

From the trailer, I was expecting a Narnia-type movie but it has more to do with the friendship of 2 kids than it has to do with Terabithia.

Bringing Up Baby - 5/10

1938 movie with Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant. Baby is a leopard that belongs to Hepburn's aunt, but the movie has very little to do with it and more to do with Hepburn chasing Grant around. It started out promising but it was too chaotic for me.

Last edited by Lorena : 12-31-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:36 PM   #2747
Pyser
Pro Rookie

assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford - 6/10

way too long and slow. how can a movie this long be repetitive? edit, people. nice ending though. wonder how factually correct the whole thing is.

edit to add: some of the best cinematography i've ever seen in my life.

Last edited by Pyser : 12-31-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:46 PM   #2748
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post

Bringing Up Baby - 5/10

1938 movie with Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant. Baby is a leopard that belongs to Hepburn's aunt, but the movie has very little to do with it and more to do with Hepburn chasing Grant around. It started out promising but it was too chaotic for me.

I'm a huge fan of both of Hepburn and Grant and this movie never pulls it off. Check out the movie The Philadelphia Story if you've never seen it. Those two plus Jimmy Stewart. One of my all time favorites.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:06 PM   #2749
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I'm a huge fan of both of Hepburn and Grant and this movie never pulls it off. Check out the movie The Philadelphia Story if you've never seen it. Those two plus Jimmy Stewart. One of my all time favorites.

Yeah they're great and I agree that this movie never pulls it off... too much screwballi-ness.

As far as The Philadelphia Story, yeah I loved it. I noticed you recommended Arsenic and Old Lace at one point which I'll end up getting from the library soon.

Last edited by Lorena : 12-31-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:05 PM   #2750
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
Yeah they're great and I agree that this movie never pulls it off... too much screwballi-ness.

As far as The Philadelphia Story, yeah I loved it. I noticed you recommended Arsenic and Old Lace at one point which I'll end up getting from the library soon.

Arsenic and Old Lace is still hysterical every time I watch it.