Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-24-2017, 08:57 PM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

Star Trek: Discovery, Picard & Strange New Worlds

Saw the premiere. Set about a decade before the original series. Star Trek: Discovery - Wikipedia

The relationship with the Klingons are a big part of series plot but do hope there's alot of exploration also.

-- Klingons! much better looking, no more Worf-like perms but IMO, their uniforms don't look right
-- Holograms
-- Vulcan nerve pinch
-- Ships, special effects and the sets look great

I thought Sonequa Martin-Green did great as first officer Michael Burnham. Enjoyed Michelle Yeoh, they had a shadow dancer puppet in her ready room, that was a nice touch.

Not sure if I would pay to watch this weekly though or just wait for the inevitable Season DVD/BR collection.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-17-2022 at 05:30 PM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:29 PM   #2
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not sure if I want STD or not.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:37 AM   #3
tarcone
Coordinator

I watched some of it. The special effects are incredible. I loved the look of the binary system.

The relationship between #1 and the science officer was annoying. That kind of turned me off. It seemed very immature. But not in new Star Trek movie way. More of an annoying middle school way.

Then my wife got out of the shower and we finished season 4 of the Wire.

May try again.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:05 AM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I have a bevy of hot takes after watching both episodes online.

It's pretty well acted, but the script really assumed a familiarity with the characters we don't have yet which makes their actions stranger, to me. The storyline kind of makes my mind explode and not in a good way, but I'm fine with a "moviesque" version of Star Trek over whatever the previous shows did.

Discovery will be many people's entry point into Trek, even though there's a lot I don't like, the fact is, unlike the movies it actually feels like Star Trek and that's a big thing. It's less a love letter to Trek - like the movies were, with 2 FAST 2 fURIOUS wrapping - and more like a SyFy show with a huge budget trying to conjure itself as a diverse show, a show for bois who like 'splosions, a show that CBS can carry water for its online service, and a show that's supposed to give us nostalgia for old Trek while trying to drag itself into the future.

As much as I'm loathe to admit it, Trek has never had a modern show with modern trappings and so, I suppose what's happening now is inevitable and necessary. I'll watch -- hell, I watched Enterprise, I'm a sucker -- but I'm more interested in what this thing looks like a season or two after and how we'll compare it to previous attempts at Star Trek shows.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I'll torrent it, but there's no way I'm paying to stream only CBS shows. That concept is idiotic and deserves to fail massively.

Good show. Potentially really good show. I feel like the first episode didn't miss on a single point.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:12 AM   #6
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Discovery will be many people's entry point into Trek, even though there's a lot I don't like, the fact is, unlike the movies it actually feels like Star Trek and that's a big thing. It's less a love letter to Trek - like the movies were, with 2 FAST 2 fURIOUS wrapping - and more like a SyFy show with a huge budget trying to conjure itself as a diverse show, a show for bois who like 'splosions, a show that CBS can carry water for its online service, and a show that's supposed to give us nostalgia for old Trek while trying to drag itself into the future.

As much as I'm loathe to admit it, Trek has never had a modern show with modern trappings and so, I suppose what's happening now is inevitable and necessary. I'll watch -- hell, I watched Enterprise, I'm a sucker -- but I'm more interested in what this thing looks like a season or two after and how we'll compare it to previous attempts at Star Trek shows.

I have heard some folks say that The Orville feels more like a new Star Trek show than Discovery. The Orville is definitely channeling TNG more than anything else, of course.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:32 AM   #7
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I have heard some folks say that The Orville feels more like a new Star Trek show than Discovery. The Orville is definitely channeling TNG more than anything else, of course.

I've watched the first couple episodes and have been kinda underwhelmed (although I'll probably still watch it). The Orville is cutsey and comical and don't think its much like TNG. Discovery seems to be on the other side of the spectrum where it is deadly serious.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:27 AM   #8
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

More in the optimistic tone and bright sets. Yes, The Orville has more jokes, but it tends to play it's stories mostly seriously with a few comic effect moments.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:35 PM   #9
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
I'll torrent it, but there's no way I'm paying to stream only CBS shows. That concept is idiotic and deserves to fail massively.

This!
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:53 PM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Discovery will be many people's entry point into Trek

Umm ... I'm not sure that's going to be true.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:05 PM   #11
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Umm ... I'm not sure that's going to be true.

Twitter last night would indicate otherwise. Lots of folks who this is their first entry into Trekdom.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:06 PM   #12
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well then it'll be their entry point and that's it... because the rest of Discovery is on a pay service .

Maybe they can continue with the AbramsTrek's next movie.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:16 PM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Twitter last night would indicate otherwise. Lots of folks who this is their first entry into Trekdom.

Wouldn't that be skewed however, since the demographics of Twitter are going to skew as far away from ST veterans as possible?

I mean, 37% of Twitter users are between 18-29. That means Voyager ended when they were pre-teens. Enterprise -- with its rather small audience -- ended when many were at most teens. Of course there's going to be a sizable amount of first-timers in that universe, a lot of them hadn't gotten past Disney Channel yet the last time ST was a thing on TV.

Just seems like Twitter is too demographically skewed to draw conclusions from in terms of the audience overall.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:27 PM   #14
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I tried Enterprise when it came out but it was kinda boring to me.
And names like "Trip" really made me eye-roll

Those moving horns on the blue guy's head had me a bit mezmorized though.

I still watch TNG actually and there are still episodes I haven't seen or completely forgot about.

I never made it to the rumoured "good" episodes of DS9.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:41 PM   #15
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'm only going to watch if there is a shitload of lens flair in it

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 09-25-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:12 PM   #16
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

The Orville is a pretty blatant spoof of TNG I think. It feels like its done by fratboys-its not meant to be overly serious. I've seen the first episode of Discovery, and its much more in the vein of Star Trek. More of a action-hero version, cause I think peaceful exploration got thrown out the window about half-way through.

The special effects were great, and much more in line with the recent movies. Acting was good I thought, especially the captain and first officer. Actors seemed much more into their roles then say the first season of TNG or DS9.

The changes to the way the Klingons look didn't bother me as much as I thought it would-I think its a "modern" take on what they would look like, and they are the villains now unlike in some versions of Trek. I like the tip of the hat to racial issues with the albino (?) Klingon who became the Torchbearer. I'm not as happy with the changes to the Klingon backstory, such as where is Klingon, and how did these ships become the Klingon homeworld? (that part where the dead Klingon became a part of the ship? shudder).

And still most of all not a fan of what point in the timeline Discovery takes place. Would have much rather seen something after DS9's stories personally. And I won't be subscribing to their cable service to see more episodes-just a horrible move on their point. May check to see if they have a free month offer though
Old 09-25-2017, 07:13 PM   #17
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
I'm only going to watch if there is a shitload of lens flair in it

I think you will be happy
Old 09-25-2017, 11:04 PM   #18
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
The special effects were great, and much more in line with the recent movies. Acting was good I thought, especially the captain and first officer. Actors seemed much more into their roles then say the first season of TNG or DS9.

It was probably impossible for them to create something in the original timeline. They are trying to cover up the fact that Discovery takes place in a third continuity. There's a Screenrant article about how licensing affected the recent movies.

Quote:
As for why J.J. Abrams and his filmmaking team created the alternate Kelvin timeline to begin with, the answers to that can be found in the confusing real world issue of who owns of the rights to Star Trek: Paramount is the wholesale owner of the Star Trek property; Paramount in turn was owned by the Viacom corporation, which also owned CBS. In 2005, Viacom underwent a corporate split: a new Viacom was formed and the ownership of Paramount was transferred to it. The previous entity called Viacom was renamed the CBS Corporation. When this occurred, ownership of the Star Trek feature films made before 2005 was transferred to Paramount but ownership of all of Star Trek‘s trademarks and intellectual properties now belonged to CBS Corporation.

However, in order to make any new Star Trek movies or television series, Paramount has to license the rights to Star Trek from CBS. This is what happened when J.J. Abrams and his production company, Bad Robot, embarked upon making his Star Trek film; Paramount and Bad Robot licensed the rights to create an alternate Star Trek copyright from CBS, in part to enable Abrams’ desire for his film to be about a younger version of Kirk and Spock, which would radically change established canon. Hence, Abrams created the Kelvin timeline, which allows him and his successors like Star Trek Beyond‘s director Justin Lin to do whatever they pleased with their version of Star Trek, since the results of this creative freedom would not conflict with nor infringe upon the canon established in the Prime timeline. It’s worth noting that with the declining box office performance of the Kelvin timeline-set Star Trek films, the Prime timeline solidly remains the more popular version of Star Trek.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #19
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
And I won't be subscribing to their cable service to see more episodes-just a horrible move on their point. May check to see if they have a free month offer though

Sorry, what?

Does this mean that the show isn't on basic cable? I thought it was on CBS?
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
Does this mean that the show isn't on basic cable? I thought it was on CBS?

Nope, only for one episode.

The rest are on their subscription service only.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:16 PM   #21
Thomkal
Head Coach

I think its two episodes, but yeah what Jon said. CBS has a pay channel-CBS All access.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:18 PM   #22
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think its two episodes, but yeah what Jon said. CBS has a pay channel-CBS All access.

I'll certainly defer to just about anybody on the number of eps, I'd seen "one" thrown around quite a bit in the past couple of days (as in "I'm not going to pay a dime to see the end of a cliffhanger") but I really don't have any idea beyond those comments.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:42 PM   #23
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I'll certainly defer to just about anybody on the number of eps, I'd seen "one" thrown around quite a bit in the past couple of days (as in "I'm not going to pay a dime to see the end of a cliffhanger") but I really don't have any idea beyond those comments.

Okay you made me go look it up Jon. I think originally it was for 2 weeks, as the first and second episode are kind of a prologue to the series. But it is just one week, which is an even bigger mistake on their part.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #24
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Well that sucks, just went from excited to nope.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #25
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Netflix paid a ton of money for worldwide distribution. Where there is a will there is a way to get an international Netflix feed.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:04 AM   #26
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Watched the 3rd episode of this and while it's a different show and surely darker than Trek has ever been, it keeps that theme in line with the movies which were that way (and I dubbed 2 Fast 2 Trek) but the show while VERY different than anything we've seen...is surely not as bad as Enterprise was.

Star Trek has never had a budget to do the kinds of effects they're doing on this version and has never had to be designed to respond to modern audiences and so, that's what they've done with it. It's got the feel of the movies rather than a TV show.

I don't like it really, but I think what they've done with the whole thing is interesting and I've conceded a while ago -- with all of the movies -- that I'll take "Trek modernized" over "no Trek" because it's not the 80s anymore and talkie Shakespearean Trek wouldn't last especially long in today's tv environment besides nostalgia.

I'll keep seeing how it evolves.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:10 AM   #27
Groundhog
Coordinator

Watched the first 3 episodes last night. I've never really liked any Trek outside of the original series and some of the films (new ones included), but I enjoyed this so far. A different take on the series for sure. The Klingons feel very... Stargate-esque? With the Egyptian-inspired aesthetic.

Last edited by Groundhog : 10-14-2017 at 05:10 AM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:36 AM   #28
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I really like it so far.

I like that it is darker, I like that the hero has some flaws and I love the production quality. I've never been a huge Trek fan, so maybe the fact that it's different is why I like it so much? But my wife is a big fan and she likes it too.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:47 PM   #29
whomario
Pro Starter

OK, the last episode was one of the best time-loop type episodes i have ever seen. Was done really, really well. Even the ending worked somehow.

The new Security Officer is a good addition to the cast and overall the load is spread around much better now it seems. Still not 100% sure of the direction of the overall plot (this was a clear in-between Episode), although i am somewhat coming around.

Also: "Space Whale"
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:28 AM   #30
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm all caught up too. It was indeed a "Trek feeling" episode, but to me, it was them sitting in the writers room trying to answer critics. "How can we make this feel more like Trek?" And then throwing us well-worn trope. I still don't really like the way they've done the storyline, we still barely know much of this crew.

I'm sure there's more of this stuff coming, but...I'm really curious after a season of this how this show will stack up against the other shows for me. Right now, it's still a massive incomplete.

It's the most depth (and obviously the biggest budget) Trek show we've been given, so there's something to be said for that. But...storylinewise, having watched a lot of TV sci-fi in the past few years, this feels way more like a serial sci-fi drama than like Star Trek at all.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:29 AM   #31
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Jon is right, only the first episode was aired on TV. Everything else has been on CBS All Access.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:38 AM   #32
Groundhog
Coordinator

I feel like the script is the biggest weakness right now. The characters and acting are A+, but the script is lagging behind. I'm enjoying it though. The last episode felt like the most "Star Trek-esque" thing they've done without a doubt, for better or worse.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:38 PM   #33
Galaril
Pro Starter

I have stood firm in not being swayed to buy the cbs all access just to watch this though I am an all trek things Trekkie. I am enjoying the Orville in it's stead.

Last edited by Galaril : 11-04-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #34
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I have stood firm in not being swayed to buy the cbs all access just to watch this though I am an all trek things Trekkie. I am enjoying the Orville in it's stead.

Wait, that's the only distribution in the US ? Running on Netflix already over here rather than on TV.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 11-04-2017, 10:10 AM   #35
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Wait, that's the only distribution in the US ? Running on Netflix already over here rather than on TV.

Yes, only distribution in US. We already had access for another show my wife liked, but I would have added it just to check out this series.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:31 PM   #36
Groundhog
Coordinator

Part of me feels like Discovery is too heavy-handed/borderline-cheesy with its handling of current issues, the other part of me is like "calm the hell down, this is Star Trek, and not everything needs to be gritty & Breaking Bad-esque". Looking back at the episodes as a whole now that we are in the first break, that part of me is winning out overall. It's light entertainment in the Star Trek world that is playing on my nostalgia of things like the original Star Trek and the Stargate TV series (albeit with a 'Hollywood' type SFX budget).

Last edited by Groundhog : 11-16-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:36 PM   #37
whomario
Pro Starter

Wait, really ? I found it to be very light (pardon the pun) on the light entertainment. This is trying really hard to be serious. Not always succeeding, but it's way more "gritty" and serious than any of the other series (i actually rewatched a bunch of episodes from each of the others over the last couple months).

Other than the time-loop episode, i think every other episode would have been really out of place in any of the other series.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:54 PM   #38
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yes, by "light" I mean it's failing at its attempts at seriousness if that makes sense... Making it "light entertainment" to me. Outside of the time-loop episode, I can just switch off my brain and enjoy the Space opera. It's trying to be "dark", but it's really only the captain's performance (easily the best character in the show so far for me) that succeeds there. If you bump the special effects budget down about 10 notches, it would be a SyFy show. Which is fine for me, to be honest.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:07 PM   #39
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I've enjoyed the show, mostly because of the cast (save Anthony Rapp - I cannot stand his character).

but...

It does not at all seem like a Star Trek show, however. More like generic space show with some Star Trekish props. There's been a couple episodes - the time loop one and the one where they went to that planet, but overall it's like they are pushing the Prime Directive type stuff aside because of the big war.

Unfortunately, the war stuff is boring. Very little has happened, it doesn't seem like the world is in danger or anything like that.

And I have long since tired of the Klingon scenes. I've lost track of who is who and all the growling.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #40
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

This show got a lot better after the mid-season break and tonight is the finale. It's uneven, but it's still the best first season of Trek. A modern reboot of the franchise, though they did make a mistake with trying to tie it to the past, this could have been a standalone of its own had they just been more imaginative about the storyline.

As it went on, I felt less like it was a "sci-fi show trying to be Trek," especially compared to the new movies which are basically just Trek cosplay.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-11-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:34 PM   #41
Thomkal
Head Coach

They have announced a new Star Trek series on CBS All Access-featuring Patrick Stewart as Picard in the next chapter of his life:

Patrick Stewart will reprise the role of Captain Picard in new Star Trek series
Old 08-04-2018, 08:26 PM   #42
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
They have announced a new Star Trek series on CBS All Access-featuring Patrick Stewart as Picard in the next chapter of his life:

Patrick Stewart will reprise the role of Captain Picard in new Star Trek series

Nice.

He is the best Starfleet Captain.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:37 PM   #43
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Nice.

He is the best Starfleet Captain.

Yep I agree
Old 08-05-2018, 06:51 AM   #44
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I will definitely check out the new show. I'm excited and hope it is good.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:22 AM   #45
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I will definitely check out the new show. I'm excited and hope it is good.

Sadly its on CBS All Access so haven't watched Discovery or will watch the new show
Old 08-15-2018, 09:24 AM   #46
Edward64
Head Coach

Amazon has Discovery Season 1 pre-order for $44 on Blu-Ray on Nov 13.

I'll get it on Black Friday when it (hopefully) goes on sale.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #47
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wouldn't it make more sense just to pay for one month of CBS All Access, watch it and then cancel it? Then it'd cost $10.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:01 AM   #48
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Wouldn't it make more sense just to pay for one month of CBS All Access, watch it and then cancel it? Then it'd cost $10.

I like keeping physical copies TBH. I prefer blu-rays & 4K over streaming as like the specials that come with the disks also (and less bandwidth usage).
Old 08-18-2018, 08:37 AM   #49
Galaril
Pro Starter

I heard nothing about Discovery that makes me want to watch it or buy it. I will hold out hope the new Picard.series is real Star Trek. Until then I will stick the Orville series.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:59 AM   #50
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I heard nothing about Discovery that makes me want to watch it or buy it. I will hold out hope the new Picard.series is real Star Trek. Until then I will stick the Orville series

As a fan, I somehow feel obligated to watch all Star Trek movies and spin-offs.

The Orville started off pretty bad for me but the acting got less annoying and the stories got much more interesting as the season progressed.