Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-14-2018, 05:03 PM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is out, one of the titles I was watching out for. I've played quite a bit of FO4 and Skyrim, so looking for my next open ended RPG. Its got more "realism" so a little concerned that it may be too tedious for me.

Has anyone played it yet?

Reviews are positive so far but there is mention of bugs and performance issues. Its $60 on Steam right now so no rush. I'll wait for a sale and hopefully some patches.

https://www.pcgamer.com/kingdom-come...erance-review/

Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:08 PM   #2
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Kingdom Come: Deliverance is out, one of the titles I was watching out for. I've played quite a bit of FO4 and Skyrim, so looking for my next open ended RPG. Its got more "realism" so a little concerned that it may be too tedious for me.

Has anyone played it yet?

Reviews are positive so far but there is mention of bugs and performance issues. Its $60 on Steam right now so no rush. I'll wait for a sale and hopefully some patches.

https://www.pcgamer.com/kingdom-come...erance-review/

I have it. Picked it up on GMG for $45. I love it. There are a lot of bugs at the moment. Unless you really want it I'd suggest holding off for a patch or 2, but it's exactly what I was hoping for and personally I don't regret the day 1 purchase at all.

It's essentially a realistic medieval sim/RPG in a world that's Skyrim-esque. Combat is brutal/difficult. Negative status effects are punishing. The world is large and detailed and you can play however you want.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
Edward64
Head Coach

Can you share your rig setup and if there are noticeable performance issues?
Old 02-14-2018, 05:50 PM   #4
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

I'm pretty sure I bit off more than I can chew with it. The horse riding tutorial took me more than a dozen tries to get through - if there are any scripted riding scenes in the rest of the main quest that are any harder (again, than the tutorial) I assume I'm hosed. Apparently the computer opponents in fights have well-timed attack animations, while the player is slow as all get out. My middle aged reflexes handle it very poorly, I guess. Not only have I not been able to find a difficulty slider to deal with all this, but you can't even save manually unless you buy an item in game to do it. Even then, you're only allowed three manual save slots. Plus, the eat and sleep mechanics are unforgiving. Those are going to get modded out. I haven't picked a lock yet so I can't speak to the lockpicking screen, but it's apparently brutal.

The game gets Skyrim-type comparisons, but Skyrim was much more accessible than this, with stat screens and perks and such. What this really is is Darklands 2018, but without the cool character generation. Again, most of my problems with the game are just that I find it so damned difficult that it isn't fun, but the fans are pretty toxic as well, and that's a turnoff, particularly in a game that guards its secrets so heavily. People who are better at hack and slash than I will likely love it.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:19 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
I haven't picked a lock yet so I can't speak to the lockpicking screen, but it's apparently brutal.

I saw ... someone (?, one of the semi-popular guys for that sort of thing) ... doing a playthrough on this last night & lockpicking was something he noted warranted a separate explanation/tutorial video.

Supposedly it wasn't quite so awful once you had a clearer understanding of the mechanics {shrug}
Old 02-14-2018, 06:56 PM   #6
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Picked it up and plan on playing it tomorrow on PS4. I’ve never wanted a game to be great so much in my life. I’m prepared to be fairly disappointed.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:40 PM   #7
RainMaker
General Manager

This interests me but I think I'm going to wait a little bit for more feedback and maybe the price to come down (plus I've been playing the new Civ a lot).

I see people comparing it to Skyrim too but you're talking about one of the greatest games ever. This was never going to match that. I'll settle for just a fun game that'll give me 50 hours or so of play.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:43 PM   #8
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

The descriptions of it sound like it would be both awesome and incredibly frustrating at the same time.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:49 PM   #9
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Dola: That save system though...no. Fuck no.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:15 PM   #10
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Dola: That save system though...no. Fuck no.

Already fixed (by modders)

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3252...ystem-mod.html
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:17 PM   #11
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
This interests me but I think I'm going to wait a little bit for more feedback and maybe the price to come down (plus I've been playing the new Civ a lot).

I see people comparing it to Skyrim too but you're talking about one of the greatest games ever. This was never going to match that. I'll settle for just a fun game that'll give me 50 hours or so of play.

There are some things that bring Skyrim to mind, but overall it's a very, very different game. Skyrim has an incredible world with average dialogue, average quests, and bad combat in a fantasy setting (I consider Skyrim horribly overrated though). KCD is just as much medieval sim as it is RPG. No elves or dragons or magic. It's a cool world with good dialogue (with inconsistent voice acting) and far more realistic combat than any Bethesda game.

There's a lot of dialogue, a lot of cutscenes, and right now it's buggy. It's not for everyone. If you want a game where you just jump in and start killing it's probably not the game for you. If you want a game where you won't run into bugs. It's not the game for you yet. If you want a game with magic and monsters. It's definitely not the game for you.

It's a difficult game to make comparisons to. It's something different that I'm having quite a bit of fun with so far. Hopefully it stays that way.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:22 PM   #12
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Can you share your rig setup and if there are noticeable performance issues?

I have an i7 4770K, 980ti, 16gb RAM. I haven't seen any performance issues, but I have seen a couple of bugs. The most notable forced me to go back to a save from around 30 minutes prior in order to progress.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:27 PM   #13
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

20% off still on GMG. Debating, 'cause I about guarantee it's not gonna be cheaper than that for awhile.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:41 PM   #14
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I have an i7 4770K, 980ti, 16gb RAM. I haven't seen any performance issues, but I have seen a couple of bugs. The most notable forced me to go back to a save from around 30 minutes prior in order to progress.

Thanks.

Big Stellaris DLC coming out on Feb 22 so I'm thinking I'll buy and play that, and wait a 2-3 months to see how things shake out.

Please do continue to post your impressions.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:56 PM   #15
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The Gamergate supporter? Fuck No. Hell no.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:08 PM   #16
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

Huh? Care to elaborate for those not in the know?
Old 02-14-2018, 11:02 PM   #17
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

I've seen some screenshots on the PC with those who have great gaming rigs and the game looks incredible. Like the shots of the forest, the rain, etc.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:44 AM   #18
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Huh? Care to elaborate for those not in the know?

The creator of the game is a big Gamergate supporter (IE, those who think "Social Justice Warriors" are ruining games FOREVER)

https://kotaku.com/my-e3-meeting-wit...per-1715511964

https://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/20...-star-in-game/

if you've avoided finding out about gamergate then I congratulate you.. Keep your innocence (short version, an angry ex peddled a conspiracy theory that his ex-GF had slept with reviewers to get coverage of her game, despite being refuted, this lead 4chan and the proto-altright to threaten everyone and try to ruin lives)
Old 02-15-2018, 07:40 AM   #19
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
The creator of the game is a big Gamergate supporter (IE, those who think "Social Justice Warriors" are ruining games FOREVER)

https://kotaku.com/my-e3-meeting-wit...per-1715511964

https://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/20...-star-in-game/

if you've avoided finding out about gamergate then I congratulate you.. Keep your innocence (short version, an angry ex peddled a conspiracy theory that his ex-GF had slept with reviewers to get coverage of her game, despite being refuted, this lead 4chan and the proto-altright to threaten everyone and try to ruin lives)

TBH, not sure what the big deal is? Its about corruption of game review journalism (in the one incident, sleeping with a reviewer for better reviews?). I know I have to be missing the bigger picture but doesn't seem to be that big of a deal to me.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:06 AM   #20
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Basically, it's a bunch of folks complaining about diversity in games, The "It's really about ethics in game journalism" crew use it as a smokescreen to harrass people they don't like (Anita Sarkessian, who produced a crowdfunded youtube series called "Tropes vs Women in Video Games", pointing out out some of the issues that games had with women

It became so rife with death threats, doxxing (Publishing the personal details of not only the people they hated but their families as well), and the like that it was banned from 4chan (which earned it's reputation as the cesspool of the internet).

It was the germ for culture wars far and wide, and it launched several careers of the most odious people in the alt-right.

Wikipedia has a pretty good article on it.

Gamergate controversy - Wikipedia
Old 02-15-2018, 10:55 AM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know I have to be missing the bigger picture but doesn't seem to be that big of a deal to me.

It wasn't, though it took on a life of it's own.

About the only point me & SirFozzie seem to agree on with regard to it was that anyone who managed to avoid it should be congratulated, it was quite the plague.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:13 AM   #22
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

wait. Someone record the date that Jon and I agreed on something *laughs*
Old 02-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #23
Edward64
Head Coach

And I was the catalyst!
Old 02-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #24
RainMaker
General Manager

So those who are playing it, is it worth the $60 or wait till it drops a bit?
Old 02-16-2018, 08:29 AM   #25
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Do any of you guys have massive freezing problems with this? It will freeze up for a few seconds during the course of gameplay, then just go right along for awhile. Seriously obnoxious.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #26
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

I was on the fence about it after reading about the difficulty, but this pretty much sealed a no from me.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:28 PM   #27
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I was on the fence about it after reading about the difficulty, but this pretty much sealed a no from me.
Yep, same here.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:10 AM   #28
djsatu
High School Varsity

I'll probably pick it up later on down the line once the game is more stable on PS4. At least the company is active and listening to it's customers with 2 patches in the first week already. Game does look beautiful.
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #29
Edward64
Head Coach

Reddit has become my best friend for specific games like FO4, Skyrim, Civ 6

Kingdom Come
Old 02-18-2018, 03:55 PM   #30
RainMaker
General Manager

I picked it up. Pretty fun so far. Only issue I'm having is with lockpicking. Swords aren't as satisfying as I hoped but the high grade mace is fun.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:54 PM   #31
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I picked it up. Pretty fun so far. Only issue I'm having is with lockpicking. Swords aren't as satisfying as I hoped but the high grade mace is fun.

If you're playing on pc with a controller then swapping to keycard/mouse just to pick the lock makes it a little easier. It's something that's getting tweaked in the first major update.

The potential for mod support is incredible. The team that made the seven kingdoms mod for Total War: Attila is making a GoT Rpg based in the Riverlands for Kingdom Come.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #32
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm about 15 hours in now and I'm comfortable calling it a very good and, at times, great game. Combat is difficult. Swinging a sword isn't easy, but shooting bow is really fucking hard.

I know a ton of people love playing a stealth archer in Skyrim. Any ideas of doing so and sneaking around easily while shooting people from 50+ yards away needs to be put to rest before you play. It's not happening. At least not in the first 20 hours of play. I had a hunting rabbits quest that was rather enjoyable for how simple it was. I ended up killing 6 rabbits and it took at least about 30 arrows to do so. I could get as close as 10-15 feet and still miss badly.

Sword fighting is fun, but it's apparent very quickly when you come across a bandit (or anyone) far more skilled that you. Block all you want, but you'll still find him breaking through your defenses and killing you in a couple of combos. You really feel what it's like being overwhelmed by someone far more skilled with a sword than you. He won't just do more damage or have more health than you. He's just better than you.

You can actually play the role of detective in this game if you so choose. The story will present you with various crimes and you'll stumble across them in the world on your own as well. The difference between this and, lets say, Witcher 3 is you don't have witcher senses or anything else to aid you other than your own skills.

Another interesting thing is the world doesn't always wait for you. I stumbled across a random dead guy with an arrow in his head on the side of the road. In checking out the surrounding area I found marks indicating something large had been drug away. I followed it deep into the woods and found a small campsite where it seemed several murders had taken place. No sign at all of anyone nearby. Whoever it was had gone off to do his thing for the day and I was left to make mental note and investigate again sometime in the future.

The characters are nuanced and not always as they seem. The dialogue overall is solid, but inconsistent. The story is very good. Possibly because it can't get caught up in the typical fantasy tropes you see in games.

I'd give it an 8.5/10 with the potential for future patches and the modding community to boost that a little higher.

Last edited by Atocep : 02-20-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:45 PM   #33
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Father Godwin is the greatest priest ever.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:24 PM   #34
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Father Godwin is the greatest priest ever.

An inspiration to us all.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:56 PM   #35
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm about 15 hours in now and I'm comfortable calling it a very good and, at times, great game. Combat is difficult. Swinging a sword isn't easy, but shooting bow is really fucking hard.
:
:
The characters are nuanced and not always as they seem. The dialogue overall is solid, but inconsistent. The story is very good. Possibly because it can't get caught up in the typical fantasy tropes you see in games.

I'd give it an 8.5/10 with the potential for future patches and the modding community to boost that a little higher.

Good to hear your feedback.

Aarrghh. Maybe buy and play this now vs the new Stellaris DLC?
Old 02-22-2018, 03:01 PM   #36
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm really enjoying this game. It's so much different from your typical RPG. It's one of the games where playing as a good guy is really hard. You're pushed to be bad.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:18 AM   #37
Edward64
Head Coach

Just bought it (deferring the Stellaris DLC) and downloading now. First time with cdkeys.com but it was quick and the code worked as expected with Steam.

Like 8 hours to download ... wtf with that.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:16 AM   #38
Edward64
Head Coach

For those with this game on a PC, how are the controls (keyboard/mouse) for combat?
Old 02-28-2018, 05:17 PM   #39
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For those with this game on a PC, how are the controls (keyboard/mouse) for combat?

I use a controller. Seems okay but the combat takes a lot of getting used to (but that would probably be the case with keyboard/mouse as well).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:38 AM   #40
Edward64
Head Coach

Played it a couple hours. A lot of 2-3 second pauses between cut screens, tried practice combat and still not sure I know what I am doing. It is more immersive to me because of dialog, slower pace and I'm not killing people right away.

Will have to get the saving mod for sure. Supposedly, a patch to hit any day now.

FWIW, got it from cdkeys.com for about $45 and it worked fine with Steam.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #41
djsatu
High School Varsity

How's the game playing now that the latest patch has come out? I'm leaning towards waiting until this game drops in price and waiting until a few more patches come out for console.
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:56 PM   #42
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm about 6 hours in now, and I have to say I'm not loving this game as much as I expected - the setting, the story line, and the genre of game should all be right up my alley, but it's not clicking for me yet. Just lacks polish, IMO, and the load times can be a bit excessive, especially for the dialogue. I'm going to give it some more time though because to be fair it feels like I'm still in the "tutorial" part of the game.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:02 PM   #43
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Having a hard time getting into this one. Hoping that at some point something clicks with it but just not seeing that so far.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:37 PM   #44
MrBug708
Head Coach

https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/king...c-steam-cd-key

25 and change for the PC

Last edited by MrBug708 : 06-25-2018 at 09:45 PM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:29 PM   #45
Bobble
College Prospect

Saw this pop up on a Steam sale. Any new thoughts for those who have been playing a while?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #46
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Saw this pop up on a Steam sale. Any new thoughts for those who have been playing a while?

I ended up with over 80 hours in it an other than the bugs getting mostly cleaned up I think my earlier comments still ring true.

I think it's a good game (personally I'd say 8.0-8.5/10), but it's not your typical RPG. You're not going to run around in magical items and slay dragons. Most of the time you'll be running around in rusty, beaten gear while fighting bandits and mercenaries. You have to sleep. You have to eat. Shooting a bow well takes a lot of practice for both you and your character. Sword fighting requires timing, skill, and practice. At no point will you ever feel like the most bad ass dude on the planet. You'll die and, if you're smart, you'll occasionally flee from fights.

Overall the story is solid, I think the characters are well done (although not all as fleshed out as they should be), and some of the sidequests are quite memorable.

It's a very difficult game to recommend simply because it seems to be either a love it or hate it game. It's slower paced than most RPGs today, some of the mechanics are very difficult to get good at, and the story isn't an epic adventure.

Hopefully that helps, feel free to ask further questions if you're looking for more information.