Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-13-2018, 11:28 PM   #51
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
Stay safe in the US and Phils. I can't really fathom what hell those storms really bring as I'm sure video doesn't begin to capture the havoc. Praying that these storms are not like Katrina or Haiyun.

Thanks. Mangkhut is making landfall in the next 24 hours. The sucker is a big bad mofo. Almost 1200 km across, Cat 5 Supertyphoon.

Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:31 PM   #52
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Here’s the sat view.

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-tim...MOV8-4.26W.GIF
Old 09-13-2018, 11:53 PM   #53
BishopMVP
Coordinator

The ever-shifting track once it hits land appears to be making for a more direct hit on Charlotte, but I still think we'll be fine since this area has decent drainage, and it's probably better overall that it stalls and dumps rain here than the triangle area.

The coast from Myrtle/Wilmington up to the Outer Banks is definitely getting the worst of it, and I hope everyone who decided to stay was at least 15 feet above sea level, because that storm surge is going to go deep inland. Idk how bad it'll affect the southern SC places around Charleston or the mountains of NC - hopefully it goes inland or north quickly, because after the immediate flooding on the coast I think the Eastern Appalachian front is the place where the biggest secondary impact could occur.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:52 AM   #54
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
Stay safe in the US and Phils. I can't really fathom what hell those storms really bring as I'm sure video doesn't begin to capture the havoc. Praying that these storms are not like Katrina or Haiyun.

My sentiments. Be safe.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:42 AM   #55
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
The ever-shifting track once it hits land appears to be making for a more direct hit on Charlotte, but I still think we'll be fine since this area has decent drainage, and it's probably better overall that it stalls and dumps rain here than the triangle area.

Are you new to Charlotte?

Hopefully not within a 5 mile radius of the Mallard Creek, Sugar Creek or Irwin Creek basins (not the roads but the creeks themselves)

Charlotte has MAJOR flood issues and a woefully inadequate infrastructure.

Heck Ive seen the South end of South BLVD car roof deep in water from a summer thunderstorm.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:45 AM   #56
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:

The coast from Myrtle/Wilmington up to the Outer Banks is definitely getting the worst of it, and I hope everyone who decided to stay was at least 15 feet above sea level, because that storm surge is going to go deep inland. Idk how bad it'll affect the southern SC places around Charleston or the mountains of NC - hopefully it goes inland or north quickly, because after the immediate flooding on the coast I think the Eastern Appalachian front is the place where the biggest secondary impact could occur.

Raleigh, or at least my part of it, has largely gone unscathed other than some limbs down. We've had a lot of gusts that have bent the trees pretty good and then sporadic rain bands, but this is no worse than a windy day you might see in the spring or fall so far. I'm sure the further south you go from here to southern Wake and on into Harnett and Johnston and Cumberland Counties, it all goes downhill pretty quick, but we seem to be at the very northern extent of the storm's reach to this point and I guess we'll be on that periphery all the way through the rest of the storm's path through the Carolinas. While it's nice to avoid catastrophe like they thought would happen a few days ago, we can't totally relax since it's *just* close enough to cause some random problems around here with the random outage or tree down.

The coast on the other hand is getting rocked pretty good by this. The entire coast from Wilmington on up to Morehead City (and to a lesser extent beyond to Hatteras) is unfortunately almost perfectly shaped to get blasted by this storm coming from the direction it approached. Most hurricanes come at this area from the southwest after they begin curving northward from the Caribbean, so it's rare for a hurricane to come at the coast on a beeline from the southeast like this one did, driving all the wind and water right into the coast between Cape Fear and Cape Lookout.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:21 PM   #57
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Are multiple college-educated (some with advanced degrees, even) people somehow too clueless to figure out how to tell if it's raining and/or the forecast in a city other than theirs, too lazy to do it, or do they really think that asking me if we have flooding here--when radar shows the rain hasn't even started yet and the forecast calls for less than a quarter inch of rain today--somehow communicates to me how much they care??? (Hint: it communicates to me that you're a nitwit.)
Old 09-14-2018, 01:41 PM   #58
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Are you new to Charlotte?

Hopefully not within a 5 mile radius of the Mallard Creek, Sugar Creek or Irwin Creek basins (not the roads but the creeks themselves)

Charlotte has MAJOR flood issues and a woefully inadequate infrastructure.

Heck Ive seen the South end of South BLVD car roof deep in water from a summer thunderstorm.
Yes, relatively new, but here long enough to know there's nothing worth going to north of uptown anyways! (except maybe NoDa). The north end of South Blvd where I used to live, South/Myers Park where I live now, and my sister's house over near PCD all seem fine, so maybe I'm projecting from that. I could see where South Blvd further away from Uptown would get swamped, but at least that's not an area with a lot of houses. I also wonder about some of the newer developments near Ayrsley and the airport, but I still think the topography here would lead to slow rising flooding & not flash floods or mudslides like places northwest of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Are multiple college-educated (some with advanced degrees, even) people somehow too clueless to figure out how to tell if it's raining and/or the forecast in a city other than theirs, too lazy to do it, or do they really think that asking me if we have flooding here--when radar shows the rain hasn't even started yet and the forecast calls for less than a quarter inch of rain today--somehow communicates to me how much they care??? (Hint: it communicates to me that you're a nitwit.)
How far away do they live? I've fielded multiple calls/texts from people, but they live in Massachusetts or out west, so I can understand if they don't know how far Charlotte is inland from the coast. I certainly didn't fully grasp the geography until the first time I drove down here (But it's so close to the Atlantic Ocean, how is it basically south of Pittsburgh?!? Oh wow, New England really does extend out East!)
Old 09-14-2018, 03:14 PM   #59
Ben E Lou

Quote:
How far away do they live? I've fielded multiple calls/texts from people, but they live in Massachusetts or out west, so I can understand if they don't know how far Charlotte is inland from the coast.
They don't have Google in Massachusetts and out west?

That's my issue--that while trying to work, get the kids to various practices, make sure homework is done, and, oh yeah, prep for a hurricane and flood, we were having to answer the same Google-able questions over and over ("what is the forecast for Greensboro?"*10000 ftl.) And when it is a new question, it's usually an incredibly stupid/inane one. One relative asked on Tuesday, when Florence was still way out to sea--I am quoting from his text right now--"how many miles is Greensboro from the hurricane." Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot. Not "from the coast" but "from the hurricane," like he expected me, while in the middle of dealing with a full-time job, a family, and hurricane prep, to calculate that precise distance for him. (And oh yes, he is single and has far more free time than I do.)

In light of all of this, yesterday morning I created a detailed FB post, complete with maps showing our location and the forecast for us, hoping that would give people what they needed to know that we're making good decisions. (Oh yeah, some relatives--who live in the South and therefore have NO excuse for not knowing how far NC runs west to east--had questioned our decision not to evacuate, because, you know, if one part of NC is unsafe, ALL of it must be.) Here is the text of that post.

In the 32ish hours since I posted that, I've received the following communications from people who read and responded to it.
  • "Why are y'all gonna stay there in that hurricane?" (You read *precisely* why. I'm not going over this ground again.)
  • "How much rain have y'all gotten so far?" (This was a PHONE CALL last night...18 hours before a drop of rain had fallen. And that was all she wanted. She literally said "oh..ok...well talk to you later..y'all be safe!" after I answered the question.)
  • "Is it flooded where you are?" (Before it had even started raining. This is the one that set me off and caused me to make the post above.)
Old 09-14-2018, 03:50 PM   #60
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
They don't have Google in Massachusetts and out west?

That's my issue--that while trying to work, get the kids to various practices, make sure homework is done, and, oh yeah, prep for a hurricane and flood, we were having to answer the same Google-able questions over and over ("what is the forecast for Greensboro?"*10000 ftl.) And when it is a new question, it's usually an incredibly stupid/inane one. One relative asked on Tuesday, when Florence was still way out to sea--I am quoting from his text right now--"how many miles is Greensboro from the hurricane." Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot. Not "from the coast" but "from the hurricane," like he expected me, while in the middle of dealing with a full-time job, a family, and hurricane prep, to calculate that precise distance for him. (And oh yes, he is single and has far more free time than I do.)

In light of all of this, yesterday morning I created a detailed FB post, complete with maps showing our location and the forecast for us, hoping that would give people what they needed to know that we're making good decisions. (Oh yeah, some relatives--who live in the South and therefore have NO excuse for not knowing how far NC runs west to east--had questioned our decision not to evacuate, because, you know, if one part of NC is unsafe, ALL of it must be.) Here is the text of that post.

In the 32ish hours since I posted that, I've received the following communications from people who read and responded to it.
  • "Why are y'all gonna stay there in that hurricane?" (You read *precisely* why. I'm not going over this ground again.)
  • "How much rain have y'all gotten so far?" (This was a PHONE CALL last night...18 hours before a drop of rain had fallen. And that was all she wanted. She literally said "oh..ok...well talk to you later..y'all be safe!" after I answered the question.)
  • "Is it flooded where you are?" (Before it had even started raining. This is the one that set me off and caused me to make the post above.)

Glad to hear this happens to people in other states. I feel your pain.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:16 PM   #61
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

re: those clueless questions AND simultaneously the whole coverage really

BUSTED!!! Weather Channel reporter goes viral after appearing to fake extreme wind conditions – twitchy.com
Old 09-14-2018, 06:11 PM   #62
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

BUSTED!!! Weather Channel reporter goes viral after appearing to fake extreme wind conditions – twitchy.com
This is still the best one

Old 09-15-2018, 09:52 AM   #63
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Blessedly, Florence has been a huge dud for my area. North Carolina, especially the coast, took the brunt by a huge bit. I imagine there's still a good bit of flooding to happen in downtown Charleston and the islands, but it's not catastrophic by any measure.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:40 AM   #64
Ben E Lou

The highest areas of current and future predicted rain from this storm dovetail far too closely with the Cape Fear river basin. All of that water is going to flow through Wilmington and Cape Fear. Ugh.

(We've only gotten maybe an inch so far in Greensboro, but somewhere in the 8-12 inch rain is still expected to fall.)
Attached Images
File Type: gif rainfall.gif (34.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: png Capefearrivermap.png (146.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-15-2018, 04:43 PM   #65
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Weather coverage is the worst. I love how they set up the cameras at gas stations to catch the roof falling. Those roofs are built to fall.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:15 PM   #66
Ben E Lou

Some friends who live in Wilmington went back to their home yesterday evening. Unfortunately, their city is now effectively "cut off."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...e-rain-n910021

I didn't realize until I did the digging that led to post #64 that we're at the top of a river basin here in GSO. It has rained steadily all day today with some downpours mixed in. Haven't seen any partial totals yet, but as far as impact, we've been spared much of anything. I've been monitoring this site over the weekend, and we've never hit over 1% here. Some counties near the coast have been over 98%, and some are still over 90%.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:20 PM   #67
Thomkal
Head Coach

Haven't had time to check in on the thread, but back home safe-never lost power, not a lot of "debris" down.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:24 PM   #68
JPhillips
General Manager

The Cape Fear River is already at flood stage at 38 feet and it's forecast to rise to 62 feet!
Old 09-16-2018, 04:27 PM   #69
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well the rest of this area of the state fared worse than we did, and poor North Carolina just got slammed. Have a lot of flooding in the county, and we experienced it on the way home. We were eventually forced off the one highway due to flooding, had stop and go traffic for a while until we got by the flooded area, and may have issues with flooding over the next few weeks. Then we were under a tornado watch as we drove, and had to get through a couple intense feeder bands, and just a lot of water on the roads. Where we stayed with my brother is worse off with flooding and they may have to stay here (which would suck as they just moved into their new house last month)
Old 09-16-2018, 04:34 PM   #70
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Thanks. Mangkhut is making landfall in the next 24 hours. The sucker is a big bad mofo. Almost 1200 km across, Cat 5 Supertyphoon.

Neon_Chaos: can we get an update?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:31 PM   #71
Ben E Lou

Power went out here about 45 minutes ago. Duke Power gives no ETA for restoration.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:13 PM   #72
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Power went out here about 45 minutes ago. Duke Power gives no ETA for restoration.
Duke seems like they did a really a good job preparing for this storm, but their communication after I lost power seemed questionable. They have a map that lists outages, but it's strictly county wide, which is fairly useless for Mecklenburg.

Being new to Charlotte I also didn't realize all the big lakes including Norman & Wylie were controlled access by Duke, but them lowering the water levels in each by 4-5 inches in the past week does prevent catastrophic flooding in the area on the order of what Houston experienced last year.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:10 PM   #73
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Neon_Chaos: can we get an update?

Yo. Manila wasn’t hit bad. The northern provinces were, though. Casualty count was relatively low (< 100 dead), but hundreds of thousands of people were displaced.

Hong Kong and Macau were battered pretty badly, I’ve heard.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:32 PM   #74
tarcone
Coordinator

Just got talking to my neighbor. He was prepping to take his daughter back home to Wilmington. She hasnt heard any word from home yet.

They are waiting for the roads to re-open.

Chain saws and generators.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #75
Thomkal
Head Coach

Don't have a link for you but I-40 out of Wilmington looking like a river not a highway right now.

Coastal Carolina University basically shut down due to flooding around it. Most sports had to cancel or postpone games.

I've seen pictures of at least two dams/levees that have been breached or damaged.

Ton of roads throughout the Carolinas closed due to flooding or damage from the hurricane.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:01 PM   #76
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I anyone in NC is in need of batteries or phone charging follow the Duracell truck, feel free to share with friends.

Duracell (@Duracell) | Twitter
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:07 PM   #77
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Just got talking to my neighbor. He was prepping to take his daughter back home to Wilmington. She hasnt heard any word from home yet. They are waiting for the roads to re-open.

From several of the shots I saw earlier this evening, unless they're going in an airboat, I don't think they're getting into Wilmington today.

While the news may endeavor to make shit look as bad as possible, seeing the cops on the interstate in one of those swamp airboat things was probably an accurate indicator :/

* and I mean sitting in the median with the blue light flashing ON the highway

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-17-2018 at 10:07 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:10 PM   #78
Thomkal
Head Coach

Florence is the gift that keeps on giving. Water from NC and interior SC is finally beginning to reach the coast here. Lots of flooding already and more to come and Emergency Management working their hearts out to get people to safety and keep the major roads open.

Flooding has not reached my neighborhood, but we've been warned that it might and to be ready to evacuate. If it does flood here (I'm about 10 mins from the Waccamaw River/Intercoastal Waterway), that's pretty disasterous for the area as we are on the border of one of the main highways here, and not that far from the coast.

Fun times indeed.