Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

Pathfinder: Kingmaker

I am getting excited about this game but will probably wait until I read more reviews. Out on Sep 25.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/revie...gmaker-preview
Quote:
At first that plays out exactly like you’d expect, a standard, not particularly imaginative isometric RPG with real time pause combat and an eccentric group of characters, including a splendidly oily, scheming little gnome who serves as an antagonist. Act One sends you on an epic quest to kill a bandit king in a place called the Stolen Lands. Then things start changing, as with the king dead you decide to set up shop in his lands and found your own kingdom.

Suddenly the game reveals a second layer, one closer to a strategy game than an RPG. There’s even a straight up city builder interface here, where you can plonk down taverns and blacksmiths in various towns around the kingdom. These towns will come to reflect your character and their moral choices, an evil kingdom might be stocked with bandits who raid their neighbours, while a lawful good one (yes we’re working with the old school D&D alignment system here) might be policed by shining paladins.

It isn’t just building though, as the kingdom will produce dynamic events that can be solved by assigning your advisors or companions, much like Dragon Age Inquisition’s War Table. One incident involved a group of villagers attempting to stone a young girl accused of Witchcraft. At first I assigned ruthless noble Landon to deal with it, as he had the highest stats. The result, he let them burn the girl and then fabricated evidence that she was guilty.

Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:00 AM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I backed it, so I'm looking forward to it.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:02 AM   #3
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Just pre-ordered this one myself....Fanatical has a discount right now so thought, what the heck. Hope it turns out good.

Fanatical
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:15 AM   #4
Edward64
Head Coach

Never heard of Fanatical before. You've used it before and it's all good with Steam?
Old 09-23-2018, 05:18 AM   #5
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Never heard of Fanatical before. You've used it before and it's all good with Steam?

Yep, tons of times and it works just fine with Steam. It used to be one of those bundle sites and they changed their name. Don't believe it is considered one of those "grey key" sites, sort of like greenmangaming.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:07 AM   #6
Atocep
Coordinator

Fanatical is legit. Used to be bundle stars and they're basically GMG's direct competition.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:10 PM   #7
Edward64
Head Coach

Well crap. Went to buy and it said sold out. My fault.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:36 PM   #8
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Should be available on Steam normally in a couple of days - I got it through KickStarter and am looking forward to playing it once my game is out
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:19 AM   #9
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I believe it's out, I saw it unpacking before I had to leave to visit family..
Old 09-25-2018, 01:51 PM   #10
Thomkal
Head Coach

Watching a Let's play right now-let's just say character creation is a bit detailed:

Let's Play Pathfinder: Kingmaker (Hard Difficulty) With CohhCarnage - Episode 1 - YouTube
Old 09-26-2018, 12:04 AM   #11
BYU 14
Coordinator

This game is so good! The amount of detail and the way it weaves different elements of play together (CRPG, Storybook sequences, moral choices) is really well done.

Only about 3.5 hours in, but really enjoying it so far. It reminds me of Baldurs Gate 2 on steroids.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:54 AM   #12
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Just a heads up, there's a fairly early portion of the game that has enemies that are "immune" to normal weapons, you need spells or AOE to defeat them (spider swarms)
Old 09-26-2018, 08:37 AM   #13
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

The game is 'ok' - if it was turn based I'd love it, but it feels totally out of control in combat to me I'm never 'sure' if my characters are doing what I ask as there seems to be no way to tell until they undertake an action and its incredibly easy to accidentally clump them into doing something as a group or undo an action you'd selected for one of them (is there a way to view orders, can you queue orders etc?).

Basically love the story and its professionally done and presented - I just hate real-time games.

PS - The alignment choices are very interesting and seem well done

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 09-26-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:45 AM   #14
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
The game is 'ok' - if it was turn based I'd love it, but it feels totally out of control in combat to me I'm never 'sure' if my characters are doing what I ask as there seems to be no way to tell until they undertake an action and its incredibly easy to accidentally clump them into doing something as a group or undo an action you'd selected for one of them (is there a way to view orders, can you queue orders etc?).

Basically love the story and its professionally done and presented - I just hate real-time games.

PS - The alignment choices are very interesting and seem well done

You can't queue orders but what I did was set combat to pause at the end of each round, which is as close to turn based as I can get it. I also turn the timers on in the options so you can see when each character completes their actions.

Also remember that some of the actions are single or limited use until you rest, and those actions have a 1 or # for how many ties you can use the ability in the toolbar. You may have already picked that up, but it threw me off initially.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:11 PM   #15
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
You can't queue orders but what I did was set combat to pause at the end of each round, which is as close to turn based as I can get it. I also turn the timers on in the options so you can see when each character completes their actions.

Also remember that some of the actions are single or limited use until you rest, and those actions have a 1 or # for how many ties you can use the ability in the toolbar. You may have already picked that up, but it threw me off initially.

I'll try and figure out how that is done - I'm at the part where you defend a trading post and its driving me nuts because my team seem totally uncontrollable ... not least because its impossible to 'decide' a position for them to recieve the attack from they just reset' to open ground far from where their opponents appear so they're easy targets (especially so as I have no mages in my group).
Old 09-26-2018, 12:17 PM   #16
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
I'll try and figure out how that is done - I'm at the part where you defend a trading post and its driving me nuts because my team seem totally uncontrollable ... not least because its impossible to 'decide' a position for them to recieve the attack from they just reset' to open ground far from where their opponents appear so they're easy targets (especially so as I have no mages in my group).

Spoiler

Setting that end of round pause in the main options make things much more manageable and I have only died twice at about 6 hours in so far, normal difficulty. It takes some tweaking but I am comfortable with it now and like you a much bigger fan of straight turn based, but still having a blast.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:43 PM   #17
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

[quote=BYU 14;3218499]
Spoiler

Spoiler

It's got great potential and there are some lovely touches - just for me a game built around turn based combat should have a proper turn based option.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 09-26-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:19 PM   #18
Edward64
Head Coach

How is the city building mechanics?
Old 09-26-2018, 04:26 PM   #19
BishopMVP
Coordinator

If you've played Pillars of Eternity would you compare the combat system to that? (Real time, but with frequent pausing helpful)?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:29 PM   #20
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
How is the city building mechanics?

Haven't got to that point yet, hoping not too much micromanagement is needed when it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
If you've played Pillars of Eternity would you compare the combat system to that? (Real time, but with frequent pausing helpful)?

Similar, and definitely frequent pausing. I know it is basically the same system, but the "feel" of combat feels closer to Baldur's gate 2 than it does POE if that makes sense. POE combat sometimes happens too fast, and being able to set combat to pause at the end of every round (when all players/enemies have used their action) makes it a little easier to manage for me than POE was, even though the pause options are similar.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:19 PM   #21
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Similar, and definitely frequent pausing. I know it is basically the same system, but the "feel" of combat feels closer to Baldur's gate 2 than it does POE if that makes sense. POE combat sometimes happens too fast, and being able to set combat to pause at the end of every round (when all players/enemies have used their action) makes it a little easier to manage for me than POE was, even though the pause options are similar.
Cool. Right now I think I can hold off until a sale, but it's definitely on my list.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:53 PM   #22
Edward64
Head Coach

Just checked Fanatical just now, the $31.79 sale is back.

Anyone regret making the purchase so far?
Old 09-27-2018, 01:32 AM   #23
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Just checked Fanatical just now, the $31.79 sale is back.

Anyone regret making the purchase so far?

Not one bit, up there with DOS-2 for me in terms of fun factor (DOS-2 is a better game but I will probably put more hours into Kingmaker)
Old 09-27-2018, 06:47 PM   #24
Edward64
Head Coach

Alright, so I bought it even though I won't have a lot of time to play with it over the next 2 weeks.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:43 AM   #25
Thomkal
Head Coach

Patch out
Old 09-29-2018, 02:37 PM   #26
Edward64
Head Coach

Yeah, I saw that. Haven't gotten into it yet, will do so some this weekend.

Anyone gotten to the city building mechanics yet? and if so, how is it?
Old 09-29-2018, 10:43 PM   #27
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I hate you all.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:03 AM   #28
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

There are a couple sections where I almost guarantee you'll be looking up the solution to puzzles, one of them very early in game

Spoiler

And another one in Act 2

Spoiler

The 2nd one especially, I was like "How the bloody blue blazes did they expect me to figure that out??
Old 10-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #29
Atocep
Coordinator

I picked this up on launch day and I'm 15 hours into it. My thoughts so far:

*This game does not hold your hand and some encounters are really fucking difficult. You have to be smart in your character builds and a little knowledgeable in D20 systems or some things will feel impossible. It feels like Baldur's Gate or other CRPGs.

*The first 10 hours were honestly kind of boring IMO. It feels like you're playing a table top D&D campaign at times, but it's slow and felt a bit tedious for long stretches.

*The last 5 hours I've played have been outstanding. Once the game opens up and allows you to start managing your barony it takes off. If I were scoring the first 10 hours would be something like a 6/10 and the last 5 would be 8.5/10 or so.

*There are some bugs. I've run into a couple so far. None particularly game breaking or anything.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:59 PM   #30
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So is anyone in?

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Kickstarter

Last edited by NobodyHere : 02-17-2020 at 05:59 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:05 PM   #31
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yup, paid up for the tier that gets me access to the beta. Going back through an playing the original again right now as well, they really cleaned things up in the enhanced edition and although I’m getting to the point where it’s a grind, it’s been a lot more fun than the first time through. Definitely a top 10 game of the last 5 years for me.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:35 PM   #32
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Yup, paid up for the tier that gets me access to the beta. Going back through an playing the original again right now as well, they really cleaned things up in the enhanced edition and although I’m getting to the point where it’s a grind, it’s been a lot more fun than the first time through. Definitely a top 10 game of the last 5 years for me.

Funny, I just installed it today. I put about 80 hours into it at release, but wanted to check out the enhanced edition and DLCs.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:45 PM   #33
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I need to give this another shot. I got restart-itis from it originally, didn't get allll that far into it.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:12 PM   #34
Thomkal
Head Coach

I finally got this game through the Humble Choice subscriber package. Loving it so far, I haven't read through this thread yet, what beginner tips do you have for me?
Old 02-17-2020, 08:57 PM   #35
bhlloy
Coordinator

Assuming you aren't a hardcore D&D player that really knows their stuff, I would really recommend reading up on character builds before getting too deep into things. First time through I'd read about building the main character but had just progressed the party characters as originally built and/or what seemed to make sense in character - it's a completely different (and IMO more enjoyable) game if you are also optimizing that side of it as well.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:09 PM   #36
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Bah. Solo all the way.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:04 AM   #37
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I finally got this game through the Humble Choice subscriber package. Loving it so far, I haven't read through this thread yet, what beginner tips do you have for me?

Well now I'm in trouble. I won a bunch of games yesterday through a Facebook contest (thanks eagleFan!) and just now found out I won Pillar of Eternity II in a contest I had forgotten I had entered. What do I do now?

Last edited by Thomkal : 02-18-2020 at 07:16 AM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:41 AM   #38
JPhillips
General Manager

Give it away, give it away, give it away, now.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:17 AM   #39
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Give it away, give it away, give it away, now.

Heh, you'll have to pry it out of my cold dead digital hands
Old 02-19-2020, 09:18 AM   #40
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Still not turn based as far as I can tell - I hated the first version because it was RTS based ... and as such totally non-strategic for someone who is klutz-fingered like myself.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:29 AM   #41
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Still not turn based as far as I can tell - I hated the first version because it was RTS based ... and as such totally non-strategic for someone who is klutz-fingered like myself.

Actually Marc they have just announced this week that the game will have a turn-based option.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:47 PM   #42
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Biggest thing that annoys me is the complete lack of party AI. Having to micro 6 characters in combat, especially if you dare to add spellcasting, it just miserable.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 02-19-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:11 AM   #43
Thomkal
Head Coach

Just a reminder that the turn-based version of Kingmaker is due out tomorrow, as well as the Console Edition of the game. Apparently the Console Edition is very buggy, so you might want to wait for patches before getting any serious runs going.

I have seen a couple lets plays of turn-based combat for the game now and it does seem more natural and intuitive. Looking forward to giving it a try tomorrow. I /think/ you should be able to switch on and off from turn-based in any saved or new save going forward.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:21 AM   #44
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Just a reminder that the turn-based version of Kingmaker is due out tomorrow, as well as the Console Edition of the game. Apparently the Console Edition is very buggy, so you might want to wait for patches before getting any serious runs going.

I have seen a couple lets plays of turn-based combat for the game now and it does seem more natural and intuitive. Looking forward to giving it a try tomorrow. I /think/ you should be able to switch on and off from turn-based in any saved or new save going forward.

I have played a beta version of the turn based on PC and at first it was horrible, much better now, but seems to just be missing "something" that I can't put my finger on. But. it is more than functional at this point and I am enjoying it overall.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:50 AM   #45
Thomkal
Head Coach

The update should be live on Steam now. It was about 20 GB for me so plan accordingly
Old 07-29-2021, 06:28 AM   #46
Thomkal
Head Coach

The followup to Kingmaker, Wrath of the Righteous, is now available for preorder on GoG.com and I'm guessing everywhere for $50. Comes out on Sept 2.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:01 AM   #47
Edward64
Head Coach

I never really got into the game (de-installed in my Steam library).

Been in a gaming funk lately. Haven't touched FO76 or Stellaris for a while. I half heartedly start Civ6 and play the first third (which I find the most fun) before quitting.

Waiting for damn Sid Meier and Bethesda to come up with new games.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:30 AM   #48
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I enjoyed the adventure parts of Kingmaker, but I hated the Kingdom system. I doubt I will picking this one up first day because the Crusade system sounds a good bit like the Kingdom system in the original. I have Solasta to hold me over until Baldur's Gate 3 goes gold.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:17 AM   #49
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I enjoyed the adventure parts of Kingmaker, but I hated the Kingdom system. I doubt I will picking this one up first day because the Crusade system sounds a good bit like the Kingdom system in the original. I have Solasta to hold me over until Baldur's Gate 3 goes gold.

Solasta is great. I’ve really been enjoying it. About to start the “final chapter”.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:36 AM   #50
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

They've updated the Kingdom system and the Crusade system to be autodone if that's not your thing.