Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-02-2015, 07:39 AM   #301
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Wow, I feel like I used to see this thread on the first page every day, but it took me 12 pages to dig back and find it now that I need it!

Let me set the stage: I have an regular 30 something inch old-school TV (non flat screen, whatever that is called) that I got from someone for free years ago. The one and only time I ever bought a TV was about 12 years ago and I spent about $200. I am, I suppose you could say, a budget shopper. I am not looking for cutting edge and hate to have to spend anything.

That said, I would like to get a new TV. I don't like to spend money, but when I do I want something of decent quality. A friend of mine has a large TV, I'm not sure what kind, and I really, really hate it. Everything looks really cheap on it, like it's a bad SyFy Channel show or something, and so I really want to avoid getting something like that.

Anything I buy will seem really big to me, and I don't need any fancy features (Justhaving a HDMI input will be a big step up for me) and I want to not spend a lot of money. What type of TV should I be looking at, as in format/technology? Is there a particular brand I should look at?

I'm not an expert and will defer to someone else on the board who is. My take is any lcd tv is better than what you have (e.g. Target has nice prices). The key is not the tv but the signal it is getting from your cable company.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:49 AM   #302
Autumn
Head Coach

Oh right, I should mention that we don't have cable, or Bluray, we just watch DVDs, kids use the Wii, and then we use Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime for video watching.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:51 AM   #303
Autumn
Head Coach

Ah, this is what bugs me about my friend's TV. Good to know it's a thing. What is the 'Soap Opera Effect'? - CNET
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:56 AM   #304
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

As a rule you should turn off an disable all "beneficial effects"
Motion Blur
Image Stabilization
Anti-Washout
Visual Boise Reduction

Ive never seen any of them that actually improved the picture EXCEPT in very specific video sequences developed for marketing purposes.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:36 AM   #305
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Is it just me or have these 4K TV's gone down in price in a BIG hurry? $298 for a 42" 4K TV? That's just insane.

Seiki 42" 4K Ultra HD TV | hhgregg
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #306
lungs
Pro Rookie

Any opinions on the Sharp Aquos Q+?

I want an 80 incher in my new house and this one kind of caught my eye.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #307
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

how much content is there for 4k TVs these days?
Old 07-03-2015, 08:15 AM   #308
Edward64
Head Coach

Was at Best Buy the other day and wife was asking where we would hang a 65-70' TV. A good sign that I'm going to get my 4K this year!

With limited 4K content, upscaling is going to be important. Does anyone have any perspective if upscaling differences are significant and which brands do the best job?
Old 07-03-2015, 05:53 PM   #309
weegeebored
High School Varsity

I think it's a no-brainer to stay with either a Samsung or Sony in terms of quality 4K. Personally, I don't see much of a difference between 4K and HD but some people do (like my wife). I have a Sony XBR850b -- upscales fine, color is great, but it's not better than my Panny plasma. (Again, my wife would argue that the PQ on the Sony is.)

Best thing to do is see them with your own eyes although that's not always going to be easy. The HH Gregg store here splits a cable feed for live tv so all of the TVs look pretty crappy. They will run 1080p demos off a flash drive to get a better picture. The BB uses canned demos so I guess it's a fair comparison to all TVs in the store, but not necessarily what you'll see at home.

Good luck with your purchase.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:41 PM   #310
stevew
Hall Of Famer

While I love the curved Samsung set, I do feel like 60"+ in any reasonable brand is going to be great.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:06 PM   #311
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
how much content is there for 4k TVs these days?

Netflix.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:47 PM   #312
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I have a 4K Vizio 50" TV. I love it. There's some 4K material on Netflix, but not much. It seems to have a decent upscaler.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:38 PM   #313
cougarfreak
College Starter

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a 55-60" 1080p in the next few weeks. They've gotten pretty damn cheap.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:15 PM   #314
cougarfreak
College Starter

Ended up with this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...&skuId=3953148

Included a free soundbar at the $1099 price.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...&skuId=3457016
Old 07-06-2015, 12:19 AM   #315
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That's a lot of TV for the price.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:25 AM   #316
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
That's a lot of TV for the price.

I was at the store, and debated. Went home, to check some online stuff, because I really went in set on a 1080P. When I looked after I got home, and saw I got the wireless soundbar for free (it's list is $349, was on sale for $299) I thought it was a hell of a deal. I know it's not some theater quality sound system, but it's good enough for me. Auto connected with the TV in a snap.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:42 PM   #317
bhlloy
Coordinator

So we have some smart people on this board that have some really good knowledge of TV's and cable/satellite, shot in the dark that maybe somebody can tell me what's going on here. We moved over the weekend and bought a new Samsung 4k TV (not top of the line, but middling and got a really good deal from Fry's on it). DirectTV guy didn't come until Wednesday so we hooked our 5/6year old (what I believe was) 1080i DirectTV box up to it and it looked pretty damn good. I was perfectly happy with the picture and it was already an upgrade over the old TV I had.

Fast forward to today, the guy comes out with a brand new genie box (which in theory is 4k although hasn't been hooked up) and gets everything set up. The picture is noticably worse, far more grainy and colors are washed out. I was expecting this to be an upgrade even without the 4k as it would be a far newer box and native 1080p from what I understand, but it looks like garbage.

I don't think the guy played with the picture settings on the TV at all (and none of the presets look good anyway, so I don't think it's the TV that's the problem) - anything obvious I should check with regards to the DirectTV settings or hookups? Is this because I now have a 4k enabled box without the 4k? I played with the basic DirectTV settings through the menu and seems pretty limited.

Last edited by bhlloy : 11-25-2015 at 07:43 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:44 PM   #318
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
So we have some smart people on this board that have some really good knowledge of TV's and cable/satellite, shot in the dark that maybe somebody can tell me what's going on here. We moved over the weekend and bought a new Samsung 4k TV (not top of the line, but middling and got a really good deal from Fry's on it). DirectTV guy didn't come until Wednesday so we hooked our 5/6year old (what I believe was) 1080i DirectTV box up to it and it looked pretty damn good. I was perfectly happy with the picture and it was already an upgrade over the old TV I had.

Fast forward to today, the guy comes out with a brand new genie box (which in theory is 4k although hasn't been hooked up) and gets everything set up. The picture is noticably worse, far more grainy and colors are washed out. I was expecting this to be an upgrade even without the 4k as it would be a far newer box and native 1080p from what I understand, but it looks like garbage.

I don't think the guy played with the picture settings on the TV at all (and none of the presets look good anyway, so I don't think it's the TV that's the problem) - anything obvious I should check with regards to the DirectTV settings or hookups? Is this because I now have a 4k enabled box without the 4k? I played with the basic DirectTV settings through the menu and seems pretty limited.

Does the new box have a 1080i setting you can try? No cable/OTA content is 1080p that I'm aware of.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:09 PM   #319
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The 4K via the Genie is only for certain PPV movies. Everything else is still 1080. I'd check the output settings on the Genie box, it probably isn't set to 1080i.

edit: I just looked at mine, and I have the 1080p and 1080i as the only resolutions with a check mark. If you have those checked, as well as the lower resolutions, uncheck the lower resolutions.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 11-25-2015 at 08:15 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:52 PM   #320
rowech
Pro Starter

So I've been reading more about 4K not being worth it for a variety of reasons. Agree or disagree?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:56 PM   #321
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's probably set to 480p. Look at the front right lights there. They have the resolution listed.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:59 PM   #322
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
So I've been reading more about 4K not being worth it for a variety of reasons. Agree or disagree?

Not much content yet, and what content is out there, competing standards exist.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:09 PM   #323
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

You can have 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p all checked and it will pick the best one due to what you are watching. Like some have said, you probably only have 480p checked.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:24 PM   #324
bhlloy
Coordinator

No, I had them all checked. Factory reset seems to have done the trick, not sure what the deal was.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:25 PM   #325
Kodos
Resident Alien

That would be my guess too.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:37 PM   #326
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

We picked up the 65" LG 4k that was selling for 900. Pretty stoked to have that upgrade over our old plasma with the ESPN bottom line still burned into the screen.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:43 PM   #327
Dutch
"Dutch"

Thus basically my knowledge of TVs. "Does it cost between $800-$1200?". If the answer is yes...sold!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:03 AM   #328
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Finally got our basement finished to the point where I could do a size check on my new projector that I bought. It's an Optima GT 1080p 3D DLP Gaming Projector. I got it on sale for around $600 shipped. In the photo below, it's on the ground, but I'll just flip it and mount it on the ceiling for final install. It's a VERY light projector, so it's going to be an easy mount. I have the plug-in/HDMI installed in the ceiling only five feet from the wall.

The test image on the wall is 11 feet across by 6 1/2 feet high and it's projected on the grey paint (I bought Goo Systems paint to use for the projector screen for around $200) . I love the fact that the projector will be close to the wall (don't have to worry about people walking through the projector like if it were 10-15 feet from the wall). The amazing part is the price of my entire setup. I'm basically going to spend around $1400 and have a 3D 1080p setup with sound bar/woofer/wireless rear speakers and a PS4. That's a great value for that price.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:30 AM   #329
Dutch
"Dutch"

Awesome. Maybe one day I'll be able to do something like that.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:11 PM   #330
Kodos
Resident Alien

So I guess plasma TVs are extinct now?
Old 06-02-2016, 02:19 PM   #331
Edward64
Head Coach

I think so.

Enjoying my LG 65" 4K. Hoping to pick up 75"+ this BF if prices come down enough.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:29 PM   #332
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Yes. Consumers didn't want them anymore for some reason. The average person probably couldn't tell the difference between a plasma and LCD, and LCDs sold better so kind of a no-brainer for the manufacturers. IMO more good things about plasma than bad, especially the black levels on a nice set. The next great tv will be OLED. Looking forward to those. I still love my Panasonic plasma and my wife loves her Sony UHD so we're good for now.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:55 PM   #333
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Yes, sadly.

A casualty of energy efficiency coupled with the lower cost of LCD panels.

The closest you can get is now OLED. Prices were still substantially higher than LED last I checked. But that's about the best picture you can get any more.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:58 PM   #334
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
Yes. Consumers didn't want them anymore for some reason. The average person probably couldn't tell the difference between a plasma and LCD, and LCDs sold better so kind of a no-brainer for the manufacturers. IMO more good things about plasma than bad, especially the black levels on a nice set. The next great tv will be OLED. Looking forward to those. I still love my Panasonic plasma and my wife loves her Sony UHD so we're good for now.

Yeah the newer LEDs with local dimming are solid. But still not plasma quality. My 6 year Samsung plasma is still better than anything else short of OLED. And even then.....it's a toss up.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:07 PM   #335
PilotMan
Head Coach

Looking for a cheap TV for my basement TV for the kids and whoever. I had heard some good comments from here on the Sceptre Walmart TVs. So what do you think of this option?

Sceptre E555BV-F 55" 1080p 60Hz Class LED HDTV - Walmart.com

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:15 PM   #336
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Looking for a cheap TV for my basement TV for the kids and whoever. I had heard some good comments from here on the Sceptre Walmart TVs. So what do you think of this option?

Sceptre E555BV-F 55" 1080p 60Hz Class LED HDTV - Walmart.com

Heck of a price.. most of the reviews are good. We love our Sceptre.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:19 PM   #337
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Ridiculous deal on a 4K TV. $418 with in-store pickup.

Target : Expect More. Pay Less.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:58 PM   #338
Suicane75
Coordinator

Love the TCL Roku TV's. I got a 32' for my room last year and have since bought two more.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:27 PM   #339
RainMaker
General Manager

I've held off on a 4k TV but am getting really tempted.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:20 PM   #340
miked
College Starter

So my 46" Sharp Aquos just died, got it like 8-9 years ago and now I need a replacement. Any good deals or crazy things I need to know? Don't watch anything crazy, just mostly use it for sports and movies (and we have a Wii).
Old 12-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #341
miked
College Starter

And I'm old and don't understand this curved TV thing. Are the curved ones better?
Old 12-27-2016, 04:35 PM   #342
cartman
Death Herald

This has a pretty good PROs and CONs. The big CON to me is that there is a limited viewing angle, ie. sweet spot, so if you have to sit off to the side, the picture doesn't look right.

Curved TVs: The Pros and Cons
Old 12-27-2016, 04:48 PM   #343
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
And I'm old and don't understand this curved TV thing. Are the curved ones better?

Short answer...they suck unless you buy one the size of an entire wall.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:39 AM   #344
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

For a living space curved sucks.
For a dedicated theater room or if you are single or MNK and ONLY watch TV from one spot they are ok, but they still screw with my eyes.

If I had to buy a TV today, I wouldnt buy anything that wasn't Organic LED driven.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:44 PM   #345
AlexB
Pro Starter

Bought myself a Samsung UE43KS7500 on New Years Eve, and was really disappointed in the picture: news channels scrolling text was really juddery, and sports had moments where the picture sort of froze for an instant, then seemed to fats forward for a split second to catch up again. Couldn't get this to stop whether I set the TV to filter lots, filter nothing, changed sharpness, nothing worked.

Then today I found an article that solved all my issues: my TV is through a satellite box, and all I had to do was change the HD resolution output from 1020i to 720p and with a bit of tweaking on the contrast, brightness, I have the picture I thought I was buying, with no judder or problems with scrolling text.

It was an expensive buy for me, and I am both so relieved and so happy right now!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:56 PM   #346
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

So...should I be looking for OLED? If so, what are the other big things for a TV now? It's a living room TV for my parents, probably of the 55" variety or a little bigger, and they mostly watch TV/DVR but I am getting them an UltraHD Blu Ray player for Christmas.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:32 PM   #347
weegeebored
High School Varsity

What's your price point?
Old 07-31-2017, 10:35 PM   #348
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I'm thinking around $3000. The B series LG OLEDs are starting to hit that level and they're supposedly pretty good. If there's something comparable, or if it's smarter to wait on OLED and go with something else at this time, I'm open to all suggestions. It's been quite a while since I've even thought about anything other than a budget TV.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:06 AM   #349
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
I'm thinking around $3000. The B series LG OLEDs are starting to hit that level and they're supposedly pretty good. If there's something comparable, or if it's smarter to wait on OLED and go with something else at this time, I'm open to all suggestions. It's been quite a while since I've even thought about anything other than a budget TV.

I bought this OLED TV back in February:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Based on the few sites I went to and reviews I read it was the highest rated TV available.

It did not disappoint. It's an amazing TV. It's a big step up from other HD TVs. Sometimes it's almost distracting how clear and real things look. I highly recommend this.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:49 AM   #350
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I bought this OLED TV back in February:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Based on the few sites I went to and reviews I read it was the highest rated TV available.

It did not disappoint. It's an amazing TV. It's a big step up from other HD TVs. Sometimes it's almost distracting how clear and real things look. I highly recommend this.

Thanks. The LG B6 models are still top 10 rated by several sites. I haven't seen ratings on the B7 models, but Costco has those for $200 more right now.

Do you turn it down to 720p for regular TV and use the full ability for Blu-Ray, etc. or just let it run at its best level all the time?