Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-25-2018, 02:21 PM   #101
Butter
Coordinator

That's quite the range
Old 09-25-2018, 03:11 PM   #102
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

So how are people feeling about enjoying shows of people convicted of heinous crimes like these? I really enjoyed the Cosby show in its time but it seems hard to separate it from these revelations, same with Woody Allen's work. I suppose that is an answer in itself.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:26 PM   #103
Edward64
Head Coach

Was a semi-Cosby fan but never had the urge to watch the old episodes even before this came up.

But I do remember him grieving for his murdered son and also brave/foolish but definitely controversial in statements about the black community e.g. "pound cake" speech Pound Cake speech - Wikipedia

He's a Jekyll-and-Hyde character. He was philanthropic for sure but he had this demon (?) inside him where he had to drug and rape women. I personally don't get it. You are famous, you have a lot of money, you have this fetish, go get divorce, and spend the money you earned and sleep/buy all the women you want.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:14 PM   #104
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
So how are people feeling about enjoying shows of people convicted of heinous crimes like these? I really enjoyed the Cosby show in its time but it seems hard to separate it from these revelations, same with Woody Allen's work. I suppose that is an answer in itself.

Cosby Show was one of my favorites growing up, but I'm out. I'd never watch again. Cosby has been revealed to be a despicable human being on an unconscionable level. I don't know if I could ever enjoy any of his works ever again. Its really made worse in my mind by the fact that his professional career was elevated even more due to a feel of family friendliness and morality surrounding him, so he crashes down even harder to me.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:26 PM   #105
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
Scumbag Rapist Bill Cosby!=Heathcliff Huxtable.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 09-25-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:34 PM   #106
JPhillips
General Manager

I learned how to tell jokes by listening to his Noah's ark routines. I still think he's a great comic, but it's very hard to support the guy in any way given his lack of contrition.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:49 AM   #107
miami_fan
Coordinator

Bill Cosby to be released after court overturns conviction

When is the first comedy special going to be recorded?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:40 PM   #108
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Cosby's lawyer just earned himself an extra large puddin' pop today.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:50 PM   #109
molson
General Manager

I haven't read the opinion, but it's always a danger when the state tries to bring up "other stuff" in a trial. Even when the trial court allows it. Prosecutors make all kinds of decisions to present or not present things with the appellate risks in mind, weighed against likelihood of conviction based on other evidence alone. Of course it's all easy to second-guess after the fact when we know how everything went.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:55 PM   #110
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I haven't read the opinion, but it's always a danger when the state tries to bring up "other stuff" in a trial. Even when the trial court allows it. Prosecutors make all kinds of decisions to present or not present things with the appellate risks in mind, weighed against likelihood of conviction based on other evidence alone. Of course it's all easy to second-guess after the fact when we know how everything went.

Not sure how I feel on that point, but the bigger issue is that the previous prosecutor made a deal with Cosby not to prosecute in exchange for him agreeing to waive his 5th amendment rights in the civil trial. In the civil depositions, he confessed, which he clearly wouldn't have done without that deal in place. This confession was then used against him in a subsequent criminal trial by another DA.

I hate Cosby and what he did with every fiber of my being, but on that point, the decision seems absolutely correct. The government should not be able to play games with you to get you to give up your 5th amendment rights.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:55 PM   #111
JPhillips
General Manager

I can accept that the law says he should be released, but I can't accept the people cheering that this means Cosby didn't do anything wrong.
Old 06-30-2021, 01:01 PM   #112
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I can accept that the law says he should be released, but I can't accept the people cheering that this means Cosby didn't do anything wrong.

Oh I definitely agree here. I mean, the decision that overturned his conviction clearly states that he confessed to the crime. It just said that the confession couldn't be used against him. People saying this proves he didn't do anything wrong either can't understand that or don't want to.

Old 06-30-2021, 01:05 PM   #113
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Not sure how I feel on that point, but the bigger issue is that the previous prosecutor made a deal with Cosby not to prosecute in exchange for him agreeing to waive his 5th amendment rights in the civil trial. In the civil depositions, he confessed, which he clearly wouldn't have done without that deal in place. This confession was then used against him in a subsequent criminal trial by another DA.

I hate Cosby and what he did with every fiber of my being, but on that point, the decision seems absolutely correct. The government should not be able to play games with you to get you to give up your 5th amendment rights.

Ah, OK. I would say the same kind of principle applies. Even if a trial court admits a challenged confession based on whatever grounds (I don't know what the arguments here were), it must also be considered whether that, like any evidence, is vulnerable to appellate challenge and whether it's worth using even if you agree with the trial court's ruling that it was admissible.
Old 06-30-2021, 01:11 PM   #114
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Ah, OK. I would say the same kind of principle applies. Even if a trial court admits a challenged confession based on whatever grounds (I don't know what the arguments here were), it must also be considered whether that, like any evidence, is vulnerable to appellate challenge and whether it's worth using even if you agree with the trial court's ruling that it was admissible.

They probably felt it was worth using because they couldn't have got a conviction otherwise. That was part of the reason the earlier DA made that deal.

Old 06-30-2021, 01:41 PM   #115
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

And the DA who did it and then went on to represent Trump in the second Impeachment trial most certainly won't.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:01 PM   #116
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I want another page of cosby jokes pronto!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:03 PM   #117
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It was a great lesson for my law student, who quickly went and read the full opinion on the case to sort out what went sideways and how.

His takeaway was basically "They had no real choice but to overturn, this was fuuuuucked"
Old 06-30-2021, 02:11 PM   #118
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

you never disappoint
Old 06-30-2021, 02:12 PM   #119
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

on the one side, he's 84 and can't see
on the other side, why did this take 3 years to overturn? or even be questioned?
on the other other side, people can still OJ him into the poorhouse. (or any other definition of OJ you want)

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 06-30-2021 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:31 PM   #120
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post

on the other side, why did this take 3 years to overturn? or even be questioned?

They've been appealing, working their way up the judicial ladder but the state Supremes only agreed to hear the case in June 2020 after nearly a dozen previous appeals to various courts had failed. That session was then held via video conference back in December 2020.

While not spelled out, coverage last year often referenced delays due to Covid.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:32 PM   #121
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It was a great lesson for my law student, who quickly went and read the full opinion on the case to sort out what went sideways and how.

His takeaway was basically "They had no real choice but to overturn, this was fuuuuucked"

Is he specifically interested in criminal appellate law?
Old 06-30-2021, 03:05 PM   #122
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is he specifically interested in criminal appellate law?

Criminal more generally really. His summer internship (with the state attorneys office in Dade Co) has reinforced his desire to be on that side of the aisle as much as possible.

This felt like a good sort of, I dunno, "contemporary cautionary tale" to be versed on.

As he moves slowly but steadily toward actually being part of the process instead of just studying it, I think there's a sort of value added by seeing things that he watched from the outside with more understanding of the nuts & bolts.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:09 PM   #123
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Criminal more generally really. His summer internship (with the state attorneys office in Dade Co) has reinforced his desire to be on that side of the aisle as much as possible.

This felt like a good sort of, I dunno, "contemporary cautionary tale" to be versed on.

As he moves slowly but steadily toward actually being part of the process instead of just studying it, I think there's a sort of value added by seeing things that he watched from the outside with more understanding of the nuts & bolts.

Very cool.

Demonstrated interest in prosecution makes a huge difference in the hiring process. I think a lot of students see it as a backup when they don't get what they hoped out of the on-campus firm interviews. Those students tend not to do as well getting hired at prosecutor's offices. I kind of lucked into a prosecution internship where I got to do jury trials my 2L summer, and that gave me a lot of opportunities in interviews and job offers.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:21 PM   #124
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

A startup could contract exclusively with me-too'd talent and have some pretty good content. There's a pretty good roster of stand up comedians for a tour.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:28 PM   #125
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
A startup could contract exclusively with me-too'd talent and have some pretty good content. There's a pretty good roster of stand up comedians for a tour.

Can I be the first to suggest the "moles-tour"?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 08:43 PM   #126
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Very cool.

Demonstrated interest in prosecution makes a huge difference in the hiring process. I think a lot of students see it as a backup when they don't get what they hoped out of the on-campus firm interviews. Those students tend not to do as well getting hired at prosecutor's offices. I kind of lucked into a prosecution internship where I got to do jury trials my 2L summer, and that gave me a lot of opportunities in interviews and job offers.

This has been nothing short of fantastic for him, helped in no small part by being assigned to an ADA who himself went through the program 6-7 years back. (and eventually got hired into the office afterwards). He's had fun stuff, he's had interesting stuff, he's had a couple drudgery assignments that he did very good work on.

And despite only limited contact (since this has all been virtual so far), he's made a good enough impression that he's been approached by another prosecutor, a judge, and several people from the pub def. office all saying "next summer, we'd love to have you if you're interested"
Old 06-30-2021, 09:42 PM   #127
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Can I be the first to suggest the "moles-tour"?

And done

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:18 PM   #128
tarcone
Coordinator

Another rich white man beats the system, oh wait another rich man beats the system.

Maybe its not white privilege.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 11:36 PM   #129
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Another rich white man beats the system, oh wait another rich man beats the system.

Maybe its not white privilege.

well he did go to prison for 3 years. Probably wouldn't have happened if white
Old 06-30-2021, 11:36 PM   #130
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Hannibal Buress better hide
Old 07-02-2021, 04:43 PM   #131
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Bill Cosby to be released after court overturns conviction

Perhaps sooner rather than later.

Bill Cosby eyeing return to comedy after prison release, spokesman says: 'He wants to return to the stage'
Old 07-03-2021, 11:27 AM   #132
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

New prison sitcom coming...
Old 07-05-2021, 05:48 AM   #133
Edward64
Head Coach

I do think a wrong was righted at the cost of letting a guilty Cosby go free. For the better (and future) good to keep DA, prosecutors etc. in line, hopefully to reduce future crap.

But she is an idiot and hope she continues to get flak for it for a very long time.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/04/enter...had/index.html
Quote:
At the time Rashad tweeted, "FINALLY!!!! A terrible wrong is being righted- a miscarriage of justice is corrected!" along with a photo of Cosby. She later deleted the post, tweeted that she supported survivors of sexual assault coming forward and sent a letter of apology to parents and students of Howard University, where she is Dean of Fine Arts.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote