Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

U12 Soccer Help

Okay one of the teams I coach for AYSO is a U12 girls team. We have a player that is a big girl (when I say that I do not mean fat she is just pretty tall and solid). She has a leg that could kill somebody and is not afraid to mix it up with anyone. She can run very good but for the love of god is not a willing passer. Every game she will make a nice run down the right wing only to get too far in to pass. Her teammates are getting a bit frustrated because she does not pass a whole lot and is always asking for the ball. So my question is what the do i do with her. She is a very good player but unfortunately feels that she can do it all when she cannot. I have placed her back on defense and she is a definite stopper but our team lack a whole lot of offensive fire power.

Most of our goals have been scored on counter attacks. For U12 we play with 9 players including the goalie. We have been playing a 3-2-3 and the last couple of games just have not been able to control the midfield. Most of the teams we are playing have played a 3-3-2 or 4-2-2. Part of our issue is of course conditioning since out of 12 players our practices usually only have 7-8 players. I am just venting and I know that AYSO is for the most part just a recreational league but the competitive spirit in me just goes nuts.

cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Professor58
H.S. Freshman Team

The only thing that works would be to make it clear that an assist is just as important as a goal. Once that is made clear, benching after a refusal to pass will be a good way to get the message to her. Is there any opportunity for the team to watch a more skilled, passing team to show the type of offense that you want to run?

OOTP: AFBL : Ohio
OOTP: CBL : London
OOTP : NPBL : California
OOTP : WBA : Los Angeles
Professor58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Play her as a target striker. Ask the team to pass the ball into her feet. This prevents her from running the length of the field. Tell her its her job to stick to the second to last defender. With a player like that, you can get away with just one forward and run a 3-4-1 or whatever.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I like GE's idea. That or sticking her back as your sweeper and dealing with less offense...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I like that idea GE. I think the hardest part will be for her to stay forward as she likes to come back and help on defense. We play one of the weaker teams next so I will give it a try.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Show them how much better they can do if they pass. I had the same problem until our game today. I hammered the team at halftime about passing, they made one pass that led to a shot, and the lightbulb lit up. We dominated the rest of the game as everyone willingly passed to everyone else.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I think part of my frustration today was we played a very good team that had two players that are traveling team players. One of my big frustrations is how unbalanced the AYSO teams can be. The other issue that I did not mention is that we tend to wait forever to take the perfect shot rather than taking a pretty good open shot.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:57 PM   #8
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
I think part of my frustration today was we played a very good team that had two players that are traveling team players. One of my big frustrations is how unbalanced the AYSO teams can be. The other issue that I did not mention is that we tend to wait forever to take the perfect shot rather than taking a pretty good open shot.

Maybe the big player notices that her teammates don't take good shots, so she doesn't like passing it to them because of that? She figures it's better for her to try one more move or run a bit further into the defense and then shoot herself?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:06 AM   #9
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah she sounds like a target striker to me. Teach her to sit right in front of the defense, and really emphasize a drill in practice where the midfield gets the ball up to her and then she lays the ball off to a teammate overlapping on the wing. Basically exactly what GE says.

If she still won't pass the ball in this role, sit her on the bench for a bit and make sure she's clear of the reason why.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:07 AM   #10
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

U12 you're saying?? She's old enough to realize she needs to pass and be a team player. If she refuses to pass then bench her, make sure she knows why, and suggest she take up an individual sport.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:20 AM   #11
DanGarion
Coordinator

I can't remember the whole team not showing up when I played AYSO soccer. But I think GE's suggestion is the best of what I heard. But the benching her as punishment for not following coaching sounds like a good plan too if it continues.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:24 AM   #12
MrBug708
Head Coach

You can't really bench someone like that in AYSO. Everyone plays and it's not free substitution.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:50 AM   #13
bhlloy
Coordinator

Right, but you can sit her for a quarter at U12. If she's used to being the best player on the team, she's probably not used to sitting out at all and that might get the message across.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #14
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

They don't play 11v11 at that age?

I'd probably play something like a 3-3-2 and have my center mid play more of a defensive mid fielder. You could even go 4-2-2 and have one of your center defenders play attacking and one of them play defending (which essentially is a 3-1-2-2)

I would play that girl up top as a striker, no need to put her somewhere she is going to hurt the rest of the team.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #15
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Thanks for the advice guys. We had switched practice to only once a week and are now going to resume the twice a week schedule. I will definitely try to put in some your ideas this week and let you know how things go.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #16
Flasch186
Coordinator

There is a drill you can do to pound it into her head.

Set her up to run to a line and give her a head start and if she can beat your pass to the line you'll do push ups otherwise until she beats the ball to the line she keeps running the sprints. Obviously never let her beatg your pass to the line.

at the end ask her what the point of the drill is.

Should stick BUT if she repeats the BS next game, redo the drill.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 09-12-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #17
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Flasch we did a drill like this where I spread out three teammates and had them pass the ball kind of like a relay and had her try to dribble the ball and beat them. This was done in one of the first couple practices so maybe we need a refresher.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #18
Flasch186
Coordinator

I like mine better though because it makes it clear to the one player the WHY you have chosen to run this drill with her and no one else (or only a few others who are forwards if you're scared of being too blunt with her at that age)...

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 09-12-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #19
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

That is a good point.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:59 AM   #20
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Has she been playing with the other girls on the team long or is she new? I ask because with my U12 girls I have a somewhat similar situation, although I already know part of my problem is going to be with her dad.

We played two friendlies Saturday morning, a U12 Division II team that has my daughter's best friend on it so we know it is a middle of the road travel team for that age right now, the second game was a Super II U11 team....so a pretty decent U11 team though still inferior to the U12s. My team is mostly U11s though we play U12 due to four U12 girls on the team. We lost both games, but doing better against the U12s.

So one of my true U12s is a girl who just moved from Florida, and I am pretty sure she won't be on the team after this season. She has already played U12 travel for two years at this point and not only is pretty damn good but has good size too. It's been pretty clear she has a lack of trust in the other players, a combo of being new to the team and also knowing she is the best on the team. She played goalie in the first half against the U12s and gave up 3 goals, one just a complete disappointment I am sure to her as it wasn't a hard stop and she missed it for some reason. Second half she went into the field and my daughter went into goal (I already know this is the best situation for the team but it can't be done all the time) So in the second half she starts getting the ball and taking it down the side herself every time. After several times of this only resulting in one shot I waited until she was by the sideline and literally stopped her, I told her she needs to trust one specific girl and try working the ball to her. Told her a minute later when she was going by me again. She listened, we had some more passing and finally started getting shots off. The team played much better in that respect.

Now the dad part. After the game her dad comes over and I hear him telling her she didn't play well, she is better then the girls on the other team (true except for one or two girls) and I am sure where that led to when they were away from me beause of how she played in the next game. She was all over the place (I wanted her playing right wing) and a few times she was across the other side of the field leaving no one on the right....ball would go to the right side and we would get burned down the side. After a few times of this thankfully my daughter (I was giving our third keeper time) moved over there and started shutting it off defensively. The problem with that though was my daughter doesn't have the speed or leg strength to play out wide like that on the attack, especially when that field was a wide field for us.

So we will see, I am mostly fighting the dad getting into her head I think. Left to coach her as I would with no interference I think I would get through to her.

Honestly though, and this has worked for me with other players in the past. If you can get her just one other player to trust as a start, it will expand from there. It won't happen over night, but you can do the other suggestions offered up in here as well at the same time.

Last edited by Cringer : 09-13-2010 at 04:05 AM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:19 AM   #21
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Thanks Cringer. The issue with AYSO is that every year we pretty much have a new group of players that did not play with each other the previous year. I do have three players that played together last year one is my daughter and another girl from our neighborhood. The two of them are pretty solid defenders but are usually the two smallest players on the field and tend to have troubles with bigger girls mostly due to speed.

Back to the bigger girl on our team she is usually all over sounds a lot like the girl on your team unless i pound it in to her to stay in position. Now that you mention it our midfielders were way out of position the last game leaving a big open gap in the middle of the field. Fortunately I have not had to deal with any parents this year as everybody has been pretty supportive.

After having some additional time to think about our game I have come to the conclusion it was not only our best player not playing with the team but overall just a breakdown at several spots. Not to mention the fact that two of the other teams players were just way better than the rest of the players on the other team. Maybe it was the Labor day break.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #22
King of New York
High School Varsity

I would hold a press conference and announce that I was thinking of signing some new players--then, I would set her creative freedom and forward run sliders all the way to the left.

If only real-life coaching was more like FM

In all seriousness, there is a special place in heaven for those who have the patience and skill to be good youth coaches.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #23
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I also coach a U8 girls team that has a couple of girls my daughter included that are going to be special. The two girls will actually pass back and forth and try to stay out of the swarm that is fighting for the ball. I am definitely going to enjoy watching them go to the next level.

I will admit that I am a bit competitive with the U12 team but I know they can play better and have actually seen it. So frustrating. If only I could hold a press conference.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:40 AM   #24
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Okay we got lightninged out this weekend so there was tuneup for our match against the best team in the league that has 3 players that are better than any of our players while also being offensive monsters that can run all day. The teams one weakness is that their back line is inexperienced and average at best. The other teams coach and I are friends yet every year she beats my team because of having the same three players (her daughter and her assistant coaches daughters who are not twins but a year apart). Last year with about the same skill level we were able to keep it close losing 2-0 in what was by her admission the biggest challenge they had all year. I am tired of being their best opponent and have been considering playing a 4-1-1-2 lineup to pack in my defense and limit their opportunities. I figure with the right 5 players basically staying back on defense we can keep it close and maybe get a quick counter attack goal or two. One of my girls that I will play at forward is a cherry picker in the truest form which is this game could be good.

First question is do you have any tips and second any specific defensive drills you would run this week to stress the defensive importance. I am a defensive coach as it is but figured you guys/girls might have some additional suggestions.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:47 AM   #25
rjolley
College Starter

Hey cub, my youngest daughter is playing soccer for the first time this year. She seems to like it, but right now, it's tough for her, with it being her first time playing any organized sport and her not having the skills down yet.

Are there any drills I can do with her or that she can do on her own to help her out? I remember when I started playing basketball, I would be outside shooting, dribbling, etc as much as I could. I'd like to get her out there doing the same, but need some help with the things she could do to help her improve.

A website with drills would be excellent, if they have them.

Thanks a bunch
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:52 AM   #26
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

How old is she?
Old 09-21-2010, 11:55 AM   #27
rjolley
College Starter

She's 10.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #28
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I will post a couple of the sites that I use tonight.

Ultimately teaching her to pass with the inside of her foot and shoot with the laces not with her toe are two of the first things I teach. Proper throw ins are important as well, both feet on the ground and throwing to your teammates feet not their head. Throw some cones or other obstacles in the yard and have her dribble in and out of them while trying to use both feet.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #29
rjolley
College Starter

Ok, that's along the lines of what I was thinking (the cones).

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #30
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

http://www.soccerxpert.com/

One of my favorite sites..
Old 09-22-2010, 09:12 AM   #31
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Mizzou that is a great site that I have used as well. rjolley I would definitely take a look at the soccer expert site. I have used that site recently and there are some good drills there.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #32
rjolley
College Starter

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll take a look and work with her some this weekend.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:11 PM   #33
MrBug708
Head Coach

I could use some help on figuring out how to get my girls (U-10) a bit more aggressive in chasing after the opposing player and soccer ball. They simply were more passive than the other team this weekend and it killed us.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #34
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I could use some help on figuring out how to get my girls (U-10) a bit more aggressive in chasing after the opposing player and soccer ball. They simply were more passive than the other team this weekend and it killed us.

One thing another coach recommended to me was playing a game of keep away. Just a basic game where the girls will throw the ball and if you have the ball you cannot move. Really no soccer involved at but the girls are more aggressive and it teaches them spacing. We usually do this as a warm up to get them moving and running without realizing they are running. My girls really like doing this at the start of practice and it has definitely helped some of my more passive girls become more aggressive. I just split the teams up pretty even mixing in the aggressive players on the same team with the passive players.

Unfortunately I had the same issues with my U10 girls as well where some of them would not get in there and mix it up. I think being aggressive is something that some girls just cannot be.

Last edited by cubboyroy1826 : 09-22-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #35
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Come watch one of our U16 games

For little ones, I have some who are very passive and I keep re-enforcing that it's ok to be aggressive out on the field.

I always have them do this one exercise after stretching where two lines are formed and when I say go the first two go forward and then when I blow my whistle they both jump up shoulder to shoulder into eachother - gets them used to contact.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #36
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Nice idea Mizzou. I had one person suggest we play a modified game of Rugby.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #37
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Come watch one of our U16 games

For little ones, I have some who are very passive and I keep re-enforcing that it's ok to be aggressive out on the field.

I always have them do this one exercise after stretching where two lines are formed and when I say go the first two go forward and then when I blow my whistle they both jump up shoulder to shoulder into eachother - gets them used to contact.

One I like to do is have the girls get in pairs and stand shoulder to shoulder. I then tell them to push against each other and try to move the other girl. Then have them switch shoulders. For girls who are not used to contact it's a good introduction to it, it also helps teach the proper way to make contact. Have them switch sides to feel it on both shoulders. After that, do some 1 v 1 side by side to get a ball you have thrown out in front of them (somewhat short distance of 10-15 yards to help cancel out any major speed differences unless you match them up yourself).
Old 09-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #38
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

That is a good one as well Cringer might have to give it a try today at practice.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #39
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I should also mention, teaching them to play more physical is a process usually. If they play physical teams/players they catch on more quickly, if not then that actually slows down the process just a little. Anyways, if you are in a game and you notice the girls are not playing physical while the other team is, at halftime have them do the shoulder to shoulder pushing. In this case you are using it more to remind them, so it's more mental. It can get them (or at the worst some of them) playing more physical in the second half.

The other good thin about it is it can lighten the mood up if needed, as they usually find it fun pushing each other.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #40
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Let me say my two best players do not like each other for the most part. I do not know that the girls notice it but my wife (who helps at practices) and I do. This would be an interesting drill to have the two of them pair up for.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #41
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Well our girls put up a good fight but in the end we fell 5-0. Our goalie let in 3 goals in the first quarter as our team was definitely nervous for the first few minutes. The other team was just plainly said incredible.

My wife sat on the other side of the field and heard two parents that were late to the game ask what the score was. When they were told 3-0 they asked if we had just started. When they were told that it was almost half time the next question was "Did Saddie and Ella get hurt?". At this age group it was amazing to watch their girls come down the right side and put a perfect pass in the air to the right in front of the goal. Our best player was 15 minutes late since she thought the game started a half hour later. Our primary offensive threat came out right before half time and might have broken her ankle. No excuses we were out played but according to the some parents on the other team they are used to winning by 10 goals and never having the other team get near their goal. We face this same team again in 2 weeks so hopefully we can get a better result next time.

Next up a talk with the local AYSO board about competitive balance.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:00 PM   #42
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

It's always rough to run up against those good established teams like that. Sometimes a good smack down is good for a team though.

On a personal note (I would bump my old youth soccer thread but maybe for other stuff tomorrow), my U12s went out and got themselves a 4-2 upset win today. They worked their butts off and played like they just had their two best weeks of practice.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #43
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I definitely agree that todays game will be good for the girls. I think today although it was a loss was an eye opener for how good they can play as a team.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:06 AM   #44
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Progression is what's it's all about!

My U9 girls dominated today and won 4-0, it was our first W and I'm so proud of them!!!
Old 09-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #45
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Congrats Mizzou. My U8 team had a pretty dominant 4-1 victory which was our second win in a row after getting shutout.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #46
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Congrats Mizzou. My U8 team had a pretty dominant 4-1 victory which was our second win in a row after getting shutout.

There you go!
Old 10-22-2010, 08:20 PM   #47
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

After taking a tough loss against a great team my girls seem to have come together. We had a tie against a very good team the next week and have rattled off 4 straight wins. A couple of my girls who I thought should not be playing have become good role players. We get our leading scorer back for the last game (who is still the leading scorer after missing 4 games). Our best girl still refuses to pass the ball all that much and has been moved back to center defense where she has dominated. My crowning glory is that the girl i thought was one of our worst players to start the season has become an offensive force. If only she had a better shot she would have scored 4 goals the last two game but has had to settle for 2. She is the quietest girl on the team but has become a player that will mix it up with anyone and it not the scared little girl she was at the start. Ah another season will be over tomorrow just when everything is starting to click.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:54 PM   #48
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Jesus, they're not quite there yet, but the bots are getting close.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:54 AM   #49
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Jesus, they're not quite there yet, but the bots are getting close.

Yikes.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:28 AM   #50
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Wow this is an old thread. Seeing as I am now coaching the same daughter at the U19 level.