Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #51
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, sorry about that.

Verizon FIOS internet = Outstanding quality/performance.

Verizon customer support = Miserable experience rivaling the dentist.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #52
Tasan
College Starter

This may be the kicker for me and my relationship with AT&T. First they over charge for a worthless land line. Killed that. Next they want to cap my cell data. Switched from them. Now they want to cap the last thing I have from them? Really? I have one alternative solution here, and I'm going to switch to it. Bye Bye AT&T.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:40 PM   #53
Tasan
College Starter

Ah F me. The only other source in my area is Charter, and they capped 2 years ago. Crap.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #54
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Ah F me. The only other source in my area is Charter, and they capped 2 years ago. Crap.

I wouldn't worry about Charter, I've gone over quite a bit.

I have Charter's regular internet with the speeds below.

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #55
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Yeah, sorry about that.

Verizon FIOS internet = Outstanding quality/performance.

Verizon customer support = Miserable experience rivaling the dentist.

+1 (million)

Then again, with Comcast the only game in town here- well, their internet and support rival a team of dentists, all with shaky hands

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #56
mckerney
Coordinator

Last edited by mckerney : 03-15-2011 at 08:04 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #57
SteveMax58
College Starter

SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #58
gstelmack
Pro Starter

So I have a truck from AT&T being rolled within the next few days to figure out why my address doesn't show in their system, and why my neighbor's doesn't even though he actually HAS U-Verse service. Not a promising start, but then the connection should be more stable than TWC's. However 6 months ago I was too far from the VRAD to get service at all, if they come back and say "you can get the 12Mbps tier due to distance", well, not worth the hassle to switch. The 18 or 24 tier, now we may be talking.

And to complicate matters TWC is supposed to activate Wideband for ordering starting tomorrow. 30 or 50 down, but do I trust that I'll get anywhere near that speed when everyone else in the neighborhood is on? And that 50 speed is supposed to be $99.95 which is exhorbitant.

I'm going to have some hard decisions to make over the next week or so.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:10 PM   #59
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

I'm almost embarrassed to report this, but:

This is Comcast's econo option. They don't advertise this much.

I'd really like faster access, but then I think about what I'd use it for. I don't download many games or much music, never videos. Indeed, I don't stream much either (and not many problems when I do). And I hardly ever play games online. I've spot tested my monthly usage (Comcast also has a 250 gb cap) and it's always been 1-3 gb. So they love me. But I'm not so sure about them.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting some new toys, and maybe I'll need more speed then. In the meantime, I'm not in a hurry.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:19 PM   #60
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:24 PM   #61
Atocep
Coordinator

This is comcast's regular cable option in the Tacoma area.

They gave me the next tier up for free for 1 year and I honestly didn't see much of a difference in speed. I was typically around 25-26 and uploads would get up to around 7.

Last edited by Atocep : 03-15-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:27 PM   #62
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I didnt realize so many people had such fast upload speeds.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:53 PM   #63
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Yea, I have a very similar connection to you Jbergey, except my upload is even slower. Below 1.00.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:24 AM   #64
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

Not sure what this costs me since it is all bundled with the HD DVR and a premium sport package ect. I think this is around $55-60 though and I am more than happy with my roadrunner here in Florida.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:10 AM   #65
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu Blue View Post
I'm almost embarrassed to report this, but:

This is Comcast's econo option. They don't advertise this much.

I'd really like faster access, but then I think about what I'd use it for. I don't download many games or much music, never videos. Indeed, I don't stream much either (and not many problems when I do). And I hardly ever play games online. I've spot tested my monthly usage (Comcast also has a 250 gb cap) and it's always been 1-3 gb. So they love me. But I'm not so sure about them.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting some new toys, and maybe I'll need more speed then. In the meantime, I'm not in a hurry.

I used to have internet at that speed

fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #66
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
I used to have internet at that speed

Cute, but bad as it is, what I have is a lot faster than dial-up, which I also used to have years and years ago. 56kbps baby! Actually, I started out at 14.4kbps. I'm sure some real old-timers out there can go back to 2400 or even 300.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #67
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

14.4 was the first internet I used. I think I had AOL 2.0. I remember playing Tribes on that 14.4 and I upgraded to a 33.6 to play Everquest.

I remember when I first got AOL (I was like 16 years old), I didn't understand that calling Pontiac from Southfield was considered local long distance. I lost my internet/phone privileges for some time
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #68
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Interesting rumor is that TWC may be 20/2 for RR Turbo in this area as of today with the wideband rollout (30/5 and 50/5) options, so I may need to test my connection tonight.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #69
DanGarion
Coordinator

Off my modem here in the office on an unofficial DOCSIS 3 bin file.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #70
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

And to complicate matters TWC is supposed to activate Wideband for ordering starting tomorrow. 30 or 50 down, but do I trust that I'll get anywhere near that speed when everyone else in the neighborhood is on? And that 50 speed is supposed to be $99.95 which is exhorbitant.

I'm going to have some hard decisions to make over the next week or so.

I can only speak with how we run things in the LA West market but if you are getting wideband there is a good chance you will typically see up to 95% of the speed you are signed up for. As with anything just remember just because you have that much speed doesn't mean the sites you visit will utilize it, since the faster your service gets the better chance that the site you visit is what is slow, not your service.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #71
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Interesting rumor is that TWC may be 20/2 for RR Turbo in this area as of today with the wideband rollout (30/5 and 50/5) options, so I may need to test my connection tonight.

20/2 might be a new tier, it's called Turbo Plus here, so we have 4 levels here (wideband is not officially available here yet).
Basic, Standard, Turbo, and Turbo Plus, $10 difference between each level.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #72
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I think one of the amazing things to me from looking at everyone's speed tests is that virtually none of you have upload speeds of 10Mbps or higher. Other than people posting their work connections which don't really count for this discussion, the only other person besides myself is also on Verizon FiOS.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #73
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think one of the amazing things to me from looking at everyone's speed tests is that virtually none of you have upload speeds of 10Mbps or higher. Other than people posting their work connections which don't really count for this discussion, the only other person besides myself is also on Verizon FiOS.

Agreed, upload speed sucks nearly universally.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #74
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Are many providers even offering 10+Mbps download?

The only higher level I can get with Mediacom is the 100 Mbps download with an upload of 5. I just dont think 10+Mbps is very common in the US as of yet.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #75
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

The only speeds that TWC offers even close to that for uploads are straight fiber connections for businesses and it costs an arm and a leg for that. The upstream bandwidth isn't there for cable companies at this time due to the design of most cable plants.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #76
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

that's me!

go team fios!!!
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #77
samifan24
Pro Starter

Old 03-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #78
miked
College Starter

Interesting...not as good as at work, but not terrible. Then again, I called and bitched a few weeks ago and they said they would give me a complementary higher internet speed.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #79
gstelmack
Pro Starter

My current TWC RoadRunner. That download is faster than it had been a bit ago, upload still slow, but I wonder how much PowerBoost fools this. The number starts in the high 20s and degrades to that 18.5 over time. I'd love to know what the more sustained number is.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #80
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

My current TWC RoadRunner. That download is faster than it had been a bit ago, upload still slow, but I wonder how much PowerBoost fools this. The number starts in the high 20s and degrades to that 18.5 over time. I'd love to know what the more sustained number is.

Go to Microsoft download a very large file and see what the sustained download is after a couple minutes. Powerboost only works for the very first seconds of the download.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #81
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I really hate the slow upload, but that was mainly because of trying to upload crap to the RWBL server. Otherwise it wouldn't much matter.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #82
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Go to Microsoft download a very large file and see what the sustained download is after a couple minutes. Powerboost only works for the very first seconds of the download.

That ends up averaging around 1.25 MB/S after I hit the 150 MB mark or so, which should mean around a 12Mb/S which is a bit above the promised 10, so cool.

Their own internal speed test seems to have the same PowerBoost issue, and has dropped to 16.3 Mb/S by the time it is over.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #83
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

of course. the first article i see on boingboing
Quote:
Congress told that Internet data caps will discourage piracy

That was one of the points made by Daniel Castro, an analyst at the Information Technology and Innovation Foundation (ITIF) think tank in Washington DC. Castro testified (PDF) yesterday before the House Judiciary Committee about the problem of “parasite” websites, saying that usage-based billing and monthly data caps were both good ways to discourage piracy, and that the government shouldn't do anything to stand in their way.
link
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #84
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
That ends up averaging around 1.25 MB/S after I hit the 150 MB mark or so, which should mean around a 12Mb/S which is a bit above the promised 10, so cool.

Their own internal speed test seems to have the same PowerBoost issue, and has dropped to 16.3 Mb/S by the time it is over.

I agree, I consider Powerboost a gimmick, it's basically a marketing item that provides very little use to the consumer.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #85
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree, I consider Powerboost a gimmick, it's basically a marketing item that provides very little use to the consumer.

I don't agree with this. I think their service based on what I know about it is pretty beneficial for the majority of internet users that need to download specific things sporadically. I mean extra bandwidth for downloads is a good thing right?

It doesn't help people who do constant seeding or heavy usage of their connection, and those users likely would just be better off upgrading to a higher tier if they are running into a bottleneck.

I have no idea how comcast markets it (I am not in a comcast area), but if they are selling it as 10Mbps + powerboost, I don't see anything wrong with that at all.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #86
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't agree with this. I think their service based on what I know about it is pretty beneficial for the majority of internet users that need to download specific things sporadically. I mean extra bandwidth for downloads is a good thing right?

It doesn't help people who do constant seeding or heavy usage of their connection, and those users likely would just be better off upgrading to a higher tier if they are running into a bottleneck.

I have no idea how comcast markets it (I am not in a comcast area), but if they are selling it as 10Mbps + powerboost, I don't see anything wrong with that at all.

TWC has it as well, I know how its marketed with them. It really depends on what someone considers a large file.

Quote:
Power BoostŪ enables Road RunnerŪ Standard and Road RunnerŪ Turbo customers to experience unlimited temporary faster connection speeds while they are downloading large files from the Internet.

It's marketed as something to competition doesn't have. But for most "large file" downloads Powerboost provides limited speed improvement. If it's a quick 10 second download it's great, but once you hit the 1 minute mark Powerboost's benefit is negligible.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #87
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's marketed as something to competition doesn't have. But for most "large file" downloads Powerboost provides limited speed improvement. If it's a quick 10 second download it's great, but once you hit the 1 minute mark Powerboost's benefit is negligible.

I know, but it doesn't cost extra, and they don't put it into the speed numbers they quote. My concern is how it seems to be screwing with speedtests. It's almost like all the cheats videocard makers put in to fool benchmarks. From my point-of-view, it can make it hard to troubleshoot your connection.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #88
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know, but it doesn't cost extra, and they don't put it into the speed numbers they quote. My concern is how it seems to be screwing with speedtests. It's almost like all the cheats videocard makers put in to fool benchmarks. From my point-of-view, it can make it hard to troubleshoot your connection.

There is some argument in the network world whether or not speed tests are even accurate at all once you get to this fast of isp connections as we have these days. It was fine back when everyone was on 33.6k to 512k or even low end T-1 speeds.

You can easily measure latency from home, but the true determination of bandwidth utilization is something that would be pretty difficult for home users to be able to get access to. (Since it would be the actual measurements from the network gear). Don't get me wrong though, speed tests give you the rough idea about your connection usually (ie: it won't say 15Mbps if you only get 1Mbps), but there should always be considered a pretty wide margin of error on them.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #89
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:

Yeah, 6 years ago it would have been called the 20Mbps tier and they would tell customers who complained about not getting 20 Mbps consistently for the duration of download that it is a best effort speed when the network is not in peak, etc., etc, etc.

Now they give you a (fairly) honest description and call it the 10Mbps tier with powerboost.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:03 AM   #90
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

You missed my point, that is what I was saying.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #91
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Well, 50/5 wideband is now available for ordering here for $99.95. I may cave and give it a whirl. Sigh.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #92
Rizon
Pro Starter

I feel much better after testing my home net. Work = teh suk

Home:

Work:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.

Last edited by Rizon : 03-19-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #93
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well, 50/5 wideband is now available for ordering here for $99.95. I may cave and give it a whirl. Sigh.

5 up's pretty shitty for a 100 a month.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:34 AM   #94
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
5 up's pretty shitty for a 100 a month.

30/5 for $77/month it looks like. Install is Tuesday, I'll report back on speeds after. Expensive, but I need the speeds for some work-at-home stuff, so I'm stuck with it.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #95
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't even get 1 up and I'm paying $60. Going to call tomorrow and see what other packages they offer. Apparently I'm on an old plan that is different than some of the new ones.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-20-2011 at 09:04 AM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #96
MrBug708
Head Coach

Looks like T-Mobile is being bought by AT&T
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #97
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Looks like T-Mobile is being bought by AT&T

Could've started a new thread for this.

AT&T to Buy T-Mobile USA for $39 Billion - NYTimes.com

I'm not sure I buy the duopoly concept. I think if anything, it'll get more competitive. (2K Sports and EA Sports in NFL games)
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #98
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Where does that leave Sprint, other than screwed?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #99
stevew
Hall Of Famer

ATT and TMobile combining is like tubgirl and goatse combining to form the mother of all shitty sites.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #100
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

I actually like my T-Mobile that I currently have and I work for AT&T so I certainly do not want their service! We just signed a new contract so I guess we will be stuck with AT&T for about a year or so before we can jump ship unfortunately. We were not happy when this news came out though.