Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Football Manager 2017

So, looks like the official unveiling of FM2017 comes thursday at 3 PM EDT.

Miles Jacobson on Twitter: "This is ManagerKitten.
He'll be let out of his bag on Thursday at 8pm BST.
#FM17featuresvideo https://t.co/hMc8fpL74c"

30 plus minute video, not necessarily exhaustive of game features.

Things should move fairly quickly after that, as the game is due out 11/4, and there likely will be a one week+ beta period before that.

Edit: Don't forget, for owners of previous versions on Steam, there is a 5% off for each previous one you've bought (capped at 20%)

Last edited by SirFozzie : 10-11-2016 at 01:03 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:36 PM   #2
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Excellent....
Old 10-11-2016, 02:26 PM   #3
Easy Mac

Comes out the day before I fly for Thailand. I know what I'm doing on my windows tablet for the 18 hour flight.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:36 PM   #4
Critch
lolzcat

I love FM and I love kittens, so this is win-win for me.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #5
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm torn. After three one-and-done coaching opportunities, I broke through with Barrow and took them from the bottom division all the way to the top in FM15. Normally, I buy every other year, but really hate to desert this career. Will just have to wait and see.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:09 PM   #6
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

New Feature Video....

Football Manager 2017 | Out November 4th
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:34 AM   #7
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Bummer. Just realized the loyalty discount stopped on October 14th. Guess I'll wait a few months now.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #8
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Doesn't really seem like major changes this year.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:29 PM   #9
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Looks like we're 24 hours from beta!

Miles Jacobson on Twitter: "I've just given the green light for the beta. The process from now takes 24 hours or so. So you should expect it this time tomorrow. #FM17"
Old 10-17-2016, 05:35 PM   #10
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Bummer. Just realized the loyalty discount stopped on October 14th. Guess I'll wait a few months now.

40 dollars was never going to be the cheapest deal available. It's 36.54 at Gamesplanet, which includes beta access.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:16 PM   #11
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
40 dollars was never going to be the cheapest deal available. It's 36.54 at Gamesplanet, which includes beta access.

That's where I got mine and got key within minutes
Old 10-17-2016, 07:22 PM   #12
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Thanks for this. Just purchased.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:26 PM   #13
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Appreciate it!
Old 10-18-2016, 08:02 AM   #14
Easy Mac

This actually sounds like a fun wrinkle, but I don't think I've made more than a couple of years in any save for a few years.

Brexit is simulated in Football Manager 2017, and it's going to make the game harder than ever
Old 10-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #15
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

So when I activated my key, I had listed FM17 and FM17: Touch. Is that a tablet version or just a touch enhanced version of the PC game?
Old 10-18-2016, 08:54 AM   #16
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Maybe this will be the year I get the game and don't mess around with a fictional db and just play with real-life teams now that I have a number of them I follow regularly. I dunno. Immersion is harder now than it used to be.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:01 AM   #17
AlexB
Pro Starter

FM Touch is what they used to call FM Classic. But if you also buy a license for your tablet you can cross save a game
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:21 AM   #18
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I may wait to get FM again until next year, when Atlanta United will be in the game... or do they do an "expansion draft" and all that jazz (I bet no).
Old 10-18-2016, 10:49 AM   #19
Easy Mac

They have in the past. Not sure about this year.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:02 AM   #20
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

So, is there a clear list of new features somewhere?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:03 AM   #21
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

I believe the expansion draft will be an option, the logos for the expansion teams are in the game. Definitely going to test that tonight as I'd like to start Minnesota United from scratch.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:23 AM   #22
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
So, is there a clear list of new features somewhere?

Couldn't find one either, and can't be arsed to watch a 30 minute video. Would be nice to be read something too

(FWIW I'm the same with news sites: if it's a video I'm not watching, and instead clicking through to the next site that lets me read the article!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #23
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Two Things:

Football Manager 2017 New Features & Improvements

has a list of a lot of the new features

and the button has been pressed if you bought the game already, beta out *Woop Woop*
Old 10-18-2016, 03:51 PM   #24
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
I believe the expansion draft will be an option, the logos for the expansion teams are in the game. Definitely going to test that tonight as I'd like to start Minnesota United from scratch.

So, it seems you can start immediately as Atlanta or Minnesota. Not sure what to do with them for the first year although Minnesota has players and a US Cup game scheduled at least.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:59 PM   #25
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So, it seems you can start immediately as Atlanta or Minnesota. Not sure what to do with them for the first year although Minnesota has players and a US Cup game scheduled at least.

Hmmm... interesting. I wonder if Atlanta in the game has the handful of players it currently has IRL.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:04 PM   #26
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Hmmm... interesting. I wonder if Atlanta in the game has the handful of players it currently has IRL.

They have far fewer players than Minnesota and most are on loan. Their best players look to be Hector Villalba (on loan at Xolos Tijuana), Chris McCann (on loan at Coventry) and Kenwyne Jones (on loan at Central TRI)
Old 10-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #27
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, that sounds right.

They have some younger players in academies - Chris Gosling and (esp) Andrew Carleton. So that looks promising.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:32 PM   #28
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yeah, that sounds right.

They have some younger players in academies - Chris Gosling and (esp) Andrew Carleton. So that looks promising.

Yep, they're both on the roster.

And there is an expansion draft, takes place December 13. Definitely going to give this a real shot at some point, really liking how it is set up.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #29
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yep, they're both on the roster.

And there is an expansion draft, takes place December 13. Definitely going to give this a real shot at some point, really liking how it is set up.

Wow... they have everything set up exactly right. Ok, may have to go ahead and bite the bullet...

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-18-2016, 11:27 PM   #30
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

did we ever have an Alright Boyz FM2016 thread? Can't seem to find one.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:45 AM   #31
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
did we ever have an Alright Boyz FM2016 thread? Can't seem to find one.

Alright Boyz, here we go! The FM16 Thread - Front Office Football Central
Old 10-19-2016, 07:28 AM   #32
SunDevil
College Prospect

http://kotaku.com/brexit-is-going-to...ome-1787948668

Quote:
Brexit, a waking political nightmare for the United Kingdom, isn’t all bad news. After all, it’s managed to spice up this year’s version of Football Manager, low-key one of the biggest game series on the planet.

As The Telegraph reports, while the actual details of Britain’s exit from the European Union are being worked out, the upcoming game—which simulates the running of a big European football team, including the hiring and firing of players and personnel across borders—has hashed out three possible scenarios, and determined how they’re going to affect players who choose to manage a club based in Britain:

Soft Brexit - free movement of workers remains.

Footballers are granted the same special exemptions that are currently given to ‘entertainers’. This means it is easier for them to obtain work permits than other people, and it will not have a huge impact on player movement from the EU.

Hard Brexit: similar rules to those which currently apply to non-EU players are adopted for all non-UK players....
That's a double whammy and I hate you.

Last edited by SunDevil : 10-19-2016 at 07:28 AM.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:44 AM   #33
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Think at some point I'm going to have to holiday up to the brexit decision and repeat until I can start a career with a hard brexit.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:47 AM   #34
Easy Mac

Just FYI, if you pick Atlanta to start a career, prepared to be very bored for long stretches. You can do some pre-season friendlies, then there's about 2 months of nothing burgers, then you can mercifully get some more friendlies set.

Also, since there's no players in your team (they're all on loan), scouting is useless for a long while, as there's no one for your scouts to compare players to. Players all get 5 stars. Once you get some players into your squad, they start to get a little clearer, but early going is rough, short of relying on players you've already heard of.

Also, a little trick is to find out what MLS players are given values of $0 by their teams. Normally, these guys have contracts that expire prior to ATL's first season in the league, but they all cost you $50k in allocation money to trade for them. Once on your team, some will sign an extension for just slightly above their current contract. You can get a few MLS quality players for quite cheap to build your team.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:52 AM   #35
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Just FYI, if you pick Atlanta to start a career, prepared to be very bored for long stretches. You can do some pre-season friendlies, then there's about 2 months of nothing burgers, then you can mercifully get some more friendlies set.

Also, since there's no players in your team (they're all on loan), scouting is useless for a long while, as there's no one for your scouts to compare players to. Players all get 5 stars. Once you get some players into your squad, they start to get a little clearer, but early going is rough, short of relying on players you've already heard of.

Also, a little trick is to find out what MLS players are given values of $0 by their teams. Normally, these guys have contracts that expire prior to ATL's first season in the league, but they all cost you $50k in allocation money to trade for them. Once on your team, some will sign an extension for just slightly above their current contract. You can get a few MLS quality players for quite cheap to build your team.

Yeah, that inactivity is one of the things holding me back from starting with Minnesota yet. But on the bright side, ownership renewed my contract when I was testing the expansion stuff even though I holidayed through the entire season. Easiest money ever.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:18 PM   #36
bhlloy
Coordinator

I know it's only a beta but is this destroying anyone else's PC? Pretty consistently using 5GB+ memory and an entire CPU core, which makes alt+tabbing and doing other stuff a bit of a pain
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:43 AM   #37
Easy Mac

Are you using the 64 bit version or the 32 bit? I'm running it on my 3 year old Dell Venue 8 Pro, and its running fine. I'm able to switch to the internet or whatever with minimal complaints.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:08 AM   #38
djsatu
High School Varsity

What are some impressions of the game? How is the match engine? Full backs actually do something this year? Good, bad, and the ugly. Spill the beans people.
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:22 PM   #39
Easy Mac

I only watch the extended highlights while my matches are going on. I've seen numerous times when my fullbacks overlap. Set my tactics to flow down the right wing, and the heat maps appear to confirm this. My left side fullback is set to defend, and I haven't noticed him making many forays forward.

Watching matches, the players still appear to only react when the ball is within a certain radius, definitely still a bit stilted. My defenders often take odd and/or take no angles to the attacker. Animations look a little more fluid though. I did notice in the highlights that my left center back seemed to be consistently getting abused over the top and on short passes in the box, only for the other team to muff their shots. But looking at his rating, he was player of the match. I guess its from stuff I'm not seeing in the highlights, but it seemed a bit odd.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:27 PM   #40
bhlloy
Coordinator

So far through about 20 games really good, although more difficult to exploit. I've seen way more goals from shots outside the area and a few goals direct from FK, even at lower levels. Seen some penalties missed and tons more 0-0 and 0-1 games than last year, and I haven't noticed an over preponderance of goals coming from wide areas.

To me so far it's infinitely more like real football than the last few versions. Bit rough around the edges but it's still a beta, so no doubt they will fix most of those issues. Interested to hear others thoughts
Old 10-21-2016, 12:30 PM   #41
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Animations look a little more fluid though. I did notice in the highlights that my left center back seemed to be consistently getting abused over the top and on short passes in the box, only for the other team to muff their shots. But looking at his rating, he was player of the match. I guess its from stuff I'm not seeing in the highlights, but it seemed a bit odd.

Interestingly I've seen this too - my one CB blew an easy header allowing the other team to score from 5 yards out, and the game blamed my other CB and knocked his rating down to less than 6

Smells like a bit of a bug maybe?
Old 10-21-2016, 02:13 PM   #42
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsatu View Post
What are some impressions of the game? How is the match engine? Full backs actually do something this year? Good, bad, and the ugly. Spill the beans people.

Wait, weren´t the Full Backs insanely effective last year and basically dominating the assist category while getting ridiculous average ratings ?

As far as the 3D engine goes, from a purely visual point of view i am actually extremely impressed from what i have seen on youtube. Never would have thought (when they introduced it) that it would get to a point where it was not distracting-level bad within this time period. I am actually considering switching to it for this version.

Will definitely get the game again, but will also definitely wait for the first price drop/big promotion.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:36 PM   #43
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

So we have to run a different executable to run the 64 bit version or what? I'm at work and could probably figure this out when I get home...

Edit: Guessing the game just auto-decides what version to run. Thinking it'd say 32-bit in task manager if one was running that on 64-bit Windows.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 10-21-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:22 PM   #44
RainMaker
General Manager

Goalies seem to be really dumb still. That's about the only negative I've seen from the match engine. Some nice improvements to it too.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:55 PM   #45
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Goalies seem to be really dumb still. That's about the only negative I've seen from the match engine. Some nice improvements to it too.

Claudio Bravo red card vs Barcelona 19/10/2016 - YouTube
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:12 PM   #46
FBPro
College Starter

Got it here, less than $40

Gamesplanet: Game keys for Steam, Origin, Uplay, GOG and more
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:36 AM   #47
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Might get suckered into this earlier this year than ever before, but from what I'm reading it doesn't seem like that significant an upgrade. If I go upward, it'd be mostly because I'd want to create a new db and share it with a wider group from the outset.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-23-2016 at 12:40 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:49 AM   #48
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
So we have to run a different executable to run the 64 bit version or what? I'm at work and could probably figure this out when I get home...

Edit: Guessing the game just auto-decides what version to run. Thinking it'd say 32-bit in task manager if one was running that on 64-bit Windows.

You got it. I had this question when I first got it. The game picks it. I have no idea if you can override that decision if you would want to or not.

My early impressions:

I love the new social media screen. The 3D seems a lot better in terms of simulating a real game. Some bugs, but it looks pretty and i love the new behind the goal cam.

The scan your face feature is kind of frightening. I'm scared of myself. It could just be that I look like something from a horror film and have dark, soulless eyes in real life I guess.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:36 PM   #49
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Going back to the discussion on Atlanta United FC being in the game, Dirty South Soccer blog did a quick look into it and I have to say the article writer (and myself) were incredibly impressed by the level of detail. I mean you know that the FM folks are on top of things, but to be THIS on top of things is kind of insane. Not only did they have that Atlanta United is playing in Bobby Ross Stadium until midseason when they go to Mercedes Bens, but they have all of the signed players, including those who will be in the Academy:

A Dive Inside Atlanta United on Football Manager 2017 - Dirty South Soccer
Old 10-24-2016, 02:05 PM   #50
fortheglory
Mascot

So how do people feel this FM compares to others? Is this the "hands down go to" sports management sim on the market?
fortheglory is offline   Reply With Quote