View Poll Results: Do you let him pray?
yes 55 96.49%
no 2 3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2018, 05:08 AM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

What would you do?

So my wife has a trip this morning for work with a car scheduled to pick her up at 6AM. She travels a ton, so interacting with drivers, etc...isn't weird for her. Most of them she is familiar with since her admin always books the same service. Anyway, she gets up at 5:30 and while I am taking a leak I realize I forgot to bring the garbage out. As I am taking it out drivers pulls up. I get to the top of the driveway and he gets out of the car. I tell him the car is for my wife and she will be right out. He asks if I can do him a favor, and I am like, ok, what is it? He then asks if he can pray in my garage, obviously a devout muslim. I am assuming he asked because it is pouring outside.

So I ask FOFC, would you let him pray?

Poll is anonymous.

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:16 AM   #2
Groundhog
Coordinator

Sure, wouldn't see any issue with it, tbh.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:06 AM   #3
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Yeah. Seems like an easy nice thing to do for someone.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:36 AM   #4
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Sure. I may not agree with his ideals but seems like the human thing to do.

Edit: With 1 caveat. If there is some outside motivation for not typically allowing anyone in your garage (I.E. if it was closed and had a rare valuable item inside you didnt want to draw attention to) I also see no harm in politely declining.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 09-10-2018 at 08:38 AM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:39 AM   #5
revrew
Team Chaplain

I'm an evangelical Christian, a former pastor. A member of the "religious right" (though I despise that moniker). And I would absolutely be gracious to give him a roof out of the rain in Jesus' name. Even if he's going to pray to his Muslim deity.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:51 AM   #6
JPhillips
General Manager

I'm with CU. The only way I wouldn't is if I, for some reason, wouldn't let anyone in.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Unsupervised? No.

As long as it comes with me going about my business (which would include keeping an eye on him / my garage)? Probably.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #8
Drake
assmaster

My garage is a complete mess, so my complete vanity answer is that I'd rather invite him inside and let him use one of the spare bedrooms.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:47 AM   #9
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I'm with Jon on this one. I'm a little weirded out that I'm letting anyone in my garage without supervision. That said, supervision sounds like a PITA - I don;'t just sit in my garage all day.

Maybe I'd feel that I HAD to let the guy in, but it would be a major inconvenience.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:02 PM   #10
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Heck yeah - no skin off my nose ....

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 09-10-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:04 PM   #11
RainMaker
General Manager

I guess I'm an asshole because I find it a bit rude on his part to even ask. You're providing a service for someone and asking them to let you into their garage. An area that presumably has things of value and something you'd likely want to supervise.

The praying thing doesn't matter to me. He could ask to do some pushups or whatever and I'd feel a bit put off by it.

And for the record I'd say yes because it's not a big deal to me, but it's just weird to show up to provide a service for someone and immediately ask them for a favor.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:46 PM   #12
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I guess I'm an asshole because I find it a bit rude on his part to even ask. You're providing a service for someone and asking them to let you into their garage. An area that presumably has things of value and something you'd likely want to supervise.

The praying thing doesn't matter to me. He could ask to do some pushups or whatever and I'd feel a bit put off by it.

And for the record I'd say yes because it's not a big deal to me, but it's just weird to show up to provide a service for someone and immediately ask them for a favor.

I was wondering when I would get a response like this one.

FTR I let him in and was fine with it. Wife thought it was weird that he would ask and borderline inappropriate. My opinion is he is obviously devout to even ask, so I am cool with it.

What I didn't love was even being put in that position. I say no and I am an asshole, regardless of the reasoning, which I find unprofessional on his part.

The other thing that sucked is it was six in the morning and I usually go back to bed, but by the time he was done I was up.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:01 PM   #13
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Old 09-11-2018, 09:38 AM   #14
molson
General Manager

If I was doing yard work during the day or something I wouldn't think anything of helping someone out like that, but at 5:30 in the morning when I'm hustling to take the trash out and I haven't turned on my social switch for the day yet - I admit I probably wouldn't be the best version of myself. I'd probably still let him in but I'd be annoyed (then I'd feel guilty about being annoyed later in the day). The joys of social anxiety.

Last edited by molson : 09-11-2018 at 09:39 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #15
Logan
Head Coach

I would say no and it would have zero to do with him praying. He could be an Orthodox Jew getting ready to wrap his tefillin and it would also be a no.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:21 PM   #16
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
If I was doing yard work during the day or something I wouldn't think anything of helping someone out like that, but at 5:30 in the morning when I'm hustling to take the trash out and I haven't turned on my social switch for the day yet - I admit I probably wouldn't be the best version of myself. I'd probably still let him in but I'd be annoyed (then I'd feel guilty about being annoyed later in the day). The joys of social anxiety.

Wait. I missed the bit about it being early in the morning. If it's before 6 AM, I'm changing my answer:

Fuck.To.The.No.

I'm not getting up for anybody to do anything. I don't care if my house is on fire and you're a firefighter knocking to tell my I need to get out. I'm not getting up until 6:30.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:22 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
... but it's just weird to show up to provide a service for someone and immediately ask them for a favor.

I think this hits on where stuff like this comes from though. Service providers, frequently these days, feel like they're doing you a favor simply by being willing to take your money. I see that across pretty much all aspects of the (so-called) service industries, from McDonalds to sales to medicine.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:08 PM   #18
RainMaker
General Manager

I should ask was this a professional driver service? Like a limo or town car? Or was it just Uber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I think this hits on where stuff like this comes from though. Service providers, frequently these days, feel like they're doing you a favor simply by being willing to take your money. I see that across pretty much all aspects of the (so-called) service industries, from McDonalds to sales to medicine.

I might be in the minority but self-checkout machines at the grocery store drive me nuts. So I'm buying a bunch of food from you and not only do I have to ring it up myself, I have to bag it too. Why don't you have me unload it off the truck while I'm at it?

But like you said, they make you feel like they're doing you a favor. Perhaps this is why so many brick and mortar stores have gone under. I remember going in to Circuit City back in the day and having some cell phone rep hounding me to sign up with them. Then got a 3-minutes spiel about how I needed a warranty at the register for the $8 cable I bought.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:42 AM   #19
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So a couple of things.

I did not wake up for this, I was up taking the garbage out and my wife was getting ready for the trip. It did however prevent me from going back to sleep.

It was not Uber, it was a professional limo service.

I 100% agree with JiMG, Apple Store being the worst offender. I had to wait almost 30 minutes for the privledge to spend $500 on an IPad a couple months ago.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:14 AM   #20
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I might be in the minority but self-checkout machines at the grocery store drive me nuts. So I'm buying a bunch of food from you and not only do I have to ring it up myself, I have to bag it too. Why don't you have me unload it off the truck while I'm at it?

A.Fucking.Men.
One of my biggest pet peeves.

Then the cashier always tries to point out "Self checkout is open with no waiting"...Sorry I dont know how to clock in. Last time I self checked out I didnt even get a discount. I prefer the full service I pay for.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #21
digamma
Torchbearer

I like the self-check out option. Would much rather be out of there rather than watching someone sort through coupons and pulling all sorts of shenanigans. My normal grocery store doesn't offer, but I use it at Target more than half the time.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:51 AM   #22
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm a mix. I prefer the ATM to the teller, but I'd rather have someone else do checkout for me at the store.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #23
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm a self check out. The less human interaction the better.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:32 PM   #24
sabotai
General Manager

I love self-check out and won't even go to a grocery store that doesn't have it. Hardly ever a line for it since most people are still scared of them, no getting stuck in line because of a customer with 20 coupons (a few that are expired or they're trying to double up when the coupon explicitly states they can't) and/or needing the cashier to check something, I usually scan my items and bag them faster than the high schooler who doesn't want to be there does. And that's on top of the massive plus of being able to do my grocery shopping with zero human interactions. It's basically the greatest thing ever.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:53 PM   #25
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I love self-check out and won't even go to a grocery store that doesn't have it. Hardly ever a line for it since most people are still scared of them, no getting stuck in line because of a customer with 20 coupons (a few that are expired or they're trying to double up when the coupon explicitly states they can't) and/or needing the cashier to check something, I usually scan my items and bag them faster than the high schooler who doesn't want to be there does. And that's on top of the massive plus of being able to do my grocery shopping with zero human interactions. It's basically the greatest thing ever.

There's this one cashier at a grocery store I used to go to who made some silly comment about every item as he scanned it. Some kind of commentary on the item itself, or upon the buyer who purchased it. It's his shtick. Some people think he's hilarious. But many also avoid him, because if you're trying to subtly stay away from him, he'll dramatically call you over when his line is empty. So of course, I had to stop going there forever and now shop at Fred Meyer with it's glorious self check-out lines. So I don't have to eyeball of the cashiers and decided who will be the least annoying. I don't mind small talk, sometimes, but the customer should be the one that directs it, not the employee.

Last edited by molson : 09-12-2018 at 01:59 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:37 PM   #26
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I like the self-check out option. Would much rather be out of there rather than watching someone sort through coupons and pulling all sorts of shenanigans. My normal grocery store doesn't offer, but I use it at Target more than half the time.

I use it at Target too. But I'm usually just buying a couple things. Agree on the waiting in line part. But that's on the grocery store. Open up more registers if lines are forming.

Used to shop at Jewel here but recently switched to a place called Sunset Foods. It's a local, smaller chain. Bit more expensive. But their service is second to none. Never have to wait in line, there's someone to take the items out of your cart when you get there, and by the time my payment is through they're all bagged up and in my cart. They even offer to take it out to my car for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
There's this one cashier at a grocery store I used to go to who made some silly comment about every item as he scanned it. Some kind of commentary on the item itself, or upon the buyer who purchased it. It's his shtick. Some people think he's hilarious. But many also avoid him, because if you're trying to subtly stay away from him, he'll dramatically call you over when his line is empty. So of course, I had to stop going there forever and now shop at Fred Meyer with it's glorious self check-out lines. So I don't have to eyeball of the cashiers and decided who will be the least annoying. I don't mind small talk, sometimes, but the customer should be the one that directs it, not the employee.

These people are the worst. I feel enough shame buying the family size box of Totinos pizza rolls, I don't need you broadcasting it out to the store.

Close second is the person who stops ringing up your items because he sees something interesting, decides to inspect it, and then proceeds to ask "are these good?".
Old 09-12-2018, 03:41 PM   #27
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Target Lady skit from SNL level bad?

If the Limo service guy is 30 mins early, he can do whatever he wants tbh
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #28
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
So a couple of things.

I did not wake up for this, I was up taking the garbage out and my wife was getting ready for the trip. It did however prevent me from going back to sleep.

It was not Uber, it was a professional limo service.

I 100% agree with JiMG, Apple Store being the worst offender. I had to wait almost 30 minutes for the privledge to spend $500 on an IPad a couple months ago.

See that would piss me off. Why are you inconvenienced when you're the one paying for the service?

Also a professional limo service should know better and I'm surprised that guy hasn't been talked to. I get Uber and even taxis can be hit or miss, but you're paying top dollar for a driver.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:47 PM   #29
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Target Lady skit from SNL level bad?

I had never seen that skit before but that's pretty much what I'm talking about. Obviously the skit embellishes that.

It's not that I mind small talk with the cashier, I just don't want to feel like you're judging everything I'm purchasing.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:53 PM   #30
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't understand the wide range on what Uber considers a premium car. It can go from a 2009 MKZ(roughly 6-8K used with reasonable miles) all the way to a Maybach or something. The range of what qualifies in my market is astounding.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:55 PM   #31
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola if I'm paying 2.5* as much it better be much closer to a Maybach than a Lincoln