Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-20-2018, 05:45 PM   #1
BYU 14
Coordinator

Anyone ever received a Dark Web alert?

I received an alert from Creditwise that my SSN and contact information was found on a suspicious website.

I immediately placed a fraud with the credit bureaus which will require identity to be verified before extending any credit but am debating putting a credit freeze in, which prohibits any new accounts from being opened, even by me. I have no plans to open any new credit lines anytime soon, so I am seriously considering this.

Just curious if anyone uses creditwise or anything similar and has received this type of alert before? I don't want to overreact as scammers get info all the time they use to call and solicit things, but I don't want to go through the hoops of fighting identify theft if someone is able to bypass the fraud alert.

Ironically I went to see a new surgeon for the first time yesterday to get some of my BJJ injuries fixed and that is the first time in a long time I have given my SSN out, so I am wondering if their billing system might be compromised.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 09-20-2018 at 05:46 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:10 PM   #2
RainMaker
General Manager

That'd be awfully quick for it to pop-up if it was the surgeon. Likely coming from a number of other databases that have been breached over the years.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:39 PM   #3
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

The good news is that the law requiring credit freezes to be offered free of charge goes into effect on Friday. When you need to lift the freeze, the estimate is that it should take an hour or less after you notify the bureaus. I guess the downside is that you'll have to notify each bureau separately.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:35 PM   #4
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
The good news is that the law requiring credit freezes to be offered free of charge goes into effect on Friday. When you need to lift the freeze, the estimate is that it should take an hour or less after you notify the bureaus. I guess the downside is that you'll have to notify each bureau separately.

Did not know that thanks. I am going to watch my reports for a few days and decide.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:13 AM   #5
bhlloy
Coordinator

We froze our credit 9 months ago after somebody was stealing mail and trying to sign up for a bunch of store and credit cards, and other than having to unfreeze it when I was getting a corporate Amex briefly, it's been great having that peace of mind. Without it, we'd almost certainly have had somebody running up a ton of debt on our account.

I'm really not sure why it's not the default stance for people, especially as you can call and get it turned back on in less than a day. It's really not that hard to plan ahead for things you know you need credit for.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote