Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-20-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Drivers License Revocation Issue/Question

I've a friend who had his license revoked for a 2nd DUI some time ago ( 87'), and at the time he lived in a different state (Illinois) and also in the military.

I don't really know off hand all the reasonings for how it got mucked up to never getting it back. From my understanding he could reapply in 2 years but by then he had already been relocated to another state, and when he went to reapply they wanted to have an admin hearing which meant returning to Illinois, and he couldn't do that.

We're in 2006 now, and his most recent attempt was in 1999, which also was snagged with the admin hearing - which meant traveling there - and at the time, and currently, it's not something he can do from a financial or schedule standpoint.

So my question is isn't there some kind of time lapse where stuff like that is null and void? Some kind of situation where he can have it done in the state he currently resides in, or is he basically just shit out of luck and going there is his only option?

Maybe I'm missing a key element here, but it just doesn't make alot of sense to me...

Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Maybe I'm missing something here but ... wouldn't it make more sense just to get a new license in the state where he now resides?

Or is that being hamstrung by the still revoked license in Illinois?
Old 01-20-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Maybe I'm missing something here but ... wouldn't it make more sense just to get a new license in the state where he now resides?

Or is that being hamstrung by the still revoked license in Illinois?

I am pretty sure he did that and ended up having that taken away because of the prior apparently unresolved issue in Illinois.

It just seems like there should be a simpler resolution then traveling to a state that you no longer even reside in.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:08 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution
It just seems like there should be a simpler resolution then traveling to a state that you no longer even reside in.

Looking over some Illinois DMV information, it appears that the Secretary of State's office handles the administrative end of suspended/revoked license.

And, with another check after I started this post ... BINGO ! (I think)

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...ings/faqs.html

How do I obtain a letter of clearance?
If your license is currently suspended or revoked for moving violations or driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs, the Secretary of State's office will not issue a letter of clearance until a hearing is held with a decision to reinstate. Because it is difficult to require out-of-state residents to return to Illinois for a hearing, you may request documentation to complete the hearing requirements through the mail.

To request an Out-of-State Hearing Application

* e-mail:[email protected]

* mail: Office of the Secretary of State
Department of Administrative Hearings
Howlett Building, Room 293
Springfield, IL 62756

Please provide the following information:

* Full Name (Include Your Middle Initial)

* Current Address (Include P. O. Box #, Apt. #, or Lot #)

* Telephone Number (Day & Evening)

* Date of Birth

* Illinois Driver's License Number (If Available)

* Social Security Number

* The Year and State of your Last Alcohol/Drug Related Arrest
Old 01-20-2006, 05:17 PM   #5
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Thanks for the time and help, Jon, I'll have him take a look at it.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:20 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution
Thanks for the time and help, Jon, I'll have him take a look at it.

No problem.

Good Googling, like most skills, needs to be practiced to stay sharp.
I can find probably 90 to 95 percent of the stuff I look for when its something I need myself (very handy when its work-related or otherwise important) and I'm convinced that looking for random stuff for other people has made me better at it, so it's good practice for me.