Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-01-2022, 12:02 PM   #1001
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
That Hog backfield was spectacular.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Wasnt Peyton Hillis there at that same time too? Or later? And what about Matt Jones at QB? Am I mixing up my timelines?
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 12:47 PM   #1002
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
ping mattjones4heisman
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 12:47 PM   #1003
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

GD.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 06:32 PM   #1004
GrantDawg

Tennessee ranked number one, and UGA ranked number three. That's exactly what Kirby was hoping for.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-01-2022 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-01-2022, 06:57 PM   #1005
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Several questionable things in a ranking that's overall not awful.

The apparently logic for Clemson at #4 would have to be "wins vs ranked teams" ... but if that's the logic, why isn't TCU either #4 or #5?

I think Michigan suffers here from having their schedule be back loaded so it's really something they can easily control.

Get farther down the list and there's some how'n the hell are they ranked questions BUT the list of suitable replacements suffers from the same problem.
Old 11-01-2022, 07:19 PM   #1006
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Wasnt Peyton Hillis there at that same time too? Or later? And what about Matt Jones at QB? Am I mixing up my timelines?

Peyton Hillis was in the same backfield but not Matt Jones.

Matt Jones - 2001-2004

Darren McFadden - 2005-2007
Felix Jones - 2005-2007
Peyton Hillis - 2004-2007

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-01-2022 at 07:19 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 07:21 PM   #1007
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Tennessee ranked number one, and UGA ranked number three. That's exactly what Kirby was hoping for.

Very timely. We shall see this Sat to resolve this once and for all.
Old 11-01-2022, 08:07 PM   #1008
cuervo72
Head Coach

Pool's gotta be pretty shallow to have LSU at #10.
Old 11-01-2022, 08:14 PM   #1009
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Pool's gotta be pretty shallow to have LSU at #10.

It IS pretty shallow. I mean, I laughed at the notion but when you try to suss out what the committee was looking for it kinda makes sense.

LSU is 1-1 against teams in _this_ Top 25.

That's equal or better than every _1_ loss team rated behind them. Of those teams, only UCLA can even match that 1-1 record against ranked teams ... and LSU has the better win (#11 Ole Miss vs #12 Utah) AND the better loss (#1 Tenn vs #8 Oregon). For the purposes of this poll, the bad loss to unranked FSU almost might as well have not even happened.
Old 11-01-2022, 10:34 PM   #1010
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Several questionable things in a ranking that's overall not awful.

Agree. I thought Michigan beating Penn State - not that they won, but the manner in which they won - would be enough to put them ahead of Clemson who hasn't been impressive against anyone decent and has three 6-point wins; that Syracuse win looking even worse now than it did a week ago. In my mind Michigan's lackluster competition otherwhise definitely puts them behind the top 3, so ... Pretty clear to me Clemson-Michigan-TCU have to be there in some order after that, and Alabama being roughly where they are makes sense, so what order you put them in at this point ... meh. If there's something like a three-point loss @ Ohio State and they win the rest up to that point there will be a lot of whining when they likely don't make it in, but that kind of thing happens almost every year and the schedule does matter. Most of the BIG just isn't very good this season IMO, and if they win out they've got nothing to worry about.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 11-01-2022 at 10:36 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 09:38 AM   #1011
JPhillips
General Manager

The committee denies this, but they pretty clearly are looking for a little controversy and drama in the rankings. I can't get too worked up over early rankings. If a B1G team goes undefeated they'll be 1 or 2 by the end. If an SEC team goes undefeated they'll be #1. Clemson will be in the top four if they finish undefeated. The only big question is who is #4 if there are three undefeated teas, but even that is really just a question of which SEC team gets it.

Sorry, TCU.
Old 11-02-2022, 10:01 AM   #1012
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Yeah it seems clear that the winner of Tenn/UGA is definitely in, no matter what happens in SEC championship.

If Alabama wins SEC championship, they are in. If not, then the loser of Tenn/UGA will be in.

If there are some shocking blowouts in these games, maybe that would change it.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 11:50 AM   #1013
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

ESPN is now officially on board with the '3 SEC teams' scenario, then Michigan/Ohio State winner at the fourth spot, and who cares about TCU/Clemson no matter what they do.

I'm glad they aren't the ones deciding, and 'stirring up controversy' yeah yeah yeah. But still, no. Also NO, and furthermore fughedaboudit.
Old 11-02-2022, 12:13 PM   #1014
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Personally (i.e. not predicting the committee) I actually come WAY closer to buying TCU as a 4 today than Clemson. And if there were no more games & we had to pick today, probably over Michigan too. Whether I think they're better than Bama is an even tougher call.

That'll likely change (the latter parts anyway), there will be more info to add to it but I really don't buy Clemson being better than TCU at all.
Old 11-02-2022, 05:03 PM   #1015
tarcone
Coordinator

This poll almost guarantees a team from the ACC, B1G and 2 from the SEC.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 05:08 PM   #1016
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
This poll almost guarantees a team from the ACC, B1G and 2 from the SEC.

Welllll ... only if Clemson wins out and given how they've looked on several occasions that's not a guarantee despite the lack of quality competition they'll face between now & the end of the season.
Old 11-02-2022, 05:17 PM   #1017
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Welllll ... only if Clemson wins out and given how they've looked on several occasions that's not a guarantee despite the lack of quality competition they'll face between now & the end of the season.

I could see South Carolina beating them this year
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 06:05 PM   #1018
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I could see South Carolina beating them this year

I think that's the 2nd best opportunity for a loss aside from this weekend.
Old 11-02-2022, 06:34 PM   #1019
RainMaker
General Manager

I think Clemson is capable of losing any of their remaining games. Unlikely, but they play with fire a lot.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 06:59 PM   #1020
bob
College Starter

Quote:
I think that's the 2nd best opportunity for a loss aside from this weekend.

I suppose anythign is possible, but struggle to see Drew Pyne beating them.
Old 11-03-2022, 08:46 AM   #1021
Edward64
Head Coach

Looking forward to some great football this weekend.

1) UGA over TN
2) Definitely LSU over AL. Brian Kelly has done a decent job so far and wouldn't mind seeing AL knocked out (pretty much) of the race this early
3) Hoping Notre Dame can rise to the occasion vs Clemson

and, of course, Hogs over Liberty (we better not choke)

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-03-2022 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-03-2022, 09:29 AM   #1022
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm glad FSU got LSU in game 1. Nice win, it turns out - although I'm still all in on hoping Kelly fails.

FSU has an important stretch to close out the year that is going to go a long way to determining whether this partial resurgence to semi-competent FB/relevance has any legs - Miami, Syracuse, ULL, then UF. We really should win at least 3 of those games. Miami and ULL have to be givens, then it's whether the team can rise to the occasion against Syracuse and/or UF.

If Miami or (God forbid) ULL is a stumble, and/or we're outclassed by Syracuse or UF, a lot of the goodwill/momentum Norvell has fostered this year is going to be lost. We already threw away a sure win against NC State. Another bumble or two like that, and the questions are going to come back.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 02:46 PM   #1023
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina gets a headstart on the college football week with a big rivalry game with App State tonight at 7:30 pm on ESPN. App State always plays us tough, especially at home, but we are in Conway tonight. Hopefully that will be enough to give us our 8th win of the season.

Last edited by Thomkal : 11-03-2022 at 03:17 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 03:01 PM   #1024
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Looking forward to some great football this weekend.

1) UGA over TN
2) Definitely LSU over AL. Brian Kelly has done a decent job so far and wouldn't mind seeing AL knocked out (pretty much) of the race this early
3) Hoping Notre Dame can rise to the occasion vs Clemson

and, of course, Hogs over Liberty (we better not choke)

Same as you except flip #1. Which means Georgia, Alabama, and Clemson roll.
Old 11-03-2022, 03:15 PM   #1025
JPhillips
General Manager

GA better win, because if they don't and AL wins the championship they'll be the team watching.
Old 11-03-2022, 03:57 PM   #1026
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I'm intrigued about Coastal Carolina's Grayson McCall, because of the extraordinary TD/INT numbers and extensive experience, good size and OK speed. I know he's on the draft radar for next year, but not as a first-rounder. But never an opportunity to see him play on broadcast TV.

As for the current playoff rankings. I still don't see the point, given the numerous important games on the schedule. For the Big Ten, it comes down to the Ohio State/Michigan winner being in, regardless, with a win in the Big Ten Championship. There's a path there for Illinois, but they have to remain undefeated the rest of the way in order to forgive their early loss. The loser of UM/OSU, not going to the championship and damaged enough by whatever happens in that loss, would be much harder to consider. Even an 11-1 OSU would have a home loss in its most important and most recent game to explain.

You can't not invite an undefeated power-five school. It would be nice if championship games went away along with playoff expansion, but $$$. Already, with four teams, they're a distraction.

At any rate, as always with Michigan, the season ends with Ohio State. Any game after that is an afterthought. I didn't even see last season's semifinal, and didn't care enough to get a trial to one of those streaming services.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 03:57 PM   #1027
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
GA better win, because if they don't and AL wins the championship they'll be the team watching.
Probably. Georgia probably doesn't deserve to get in if they get beat at home by Tennessee.
Old 11-03-2022, 07:53 PM   #1028
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Sounds absolutely perfect ... aside from the whole Bama winning the title part.

Buuuuut ... if UT still gets into the 4 AND UGAg is left out, I'd willingly sacrifice a conference title in a heartbeat.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-03-2022 at 07:54 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 09:03 PM   #1029
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I'm intrigued about Coastal Carolina's Grayson McCall, because of the extraordinary TD/INT numbers and extensive experience, good size and OK speed. I know he's on the draft radar for next year, but not as a first-rounder. But never an opportunity to see him play on broadcast TV.

As for the current playoff rankings. I still don't see the point, given the numerous important games on the schedule. For the Big Ten, it comes down to the Ohio State/Michigan winner being in, regardless, with a win in the Big Ten Championship. There's a path there for Illinois, but they have to remain undefeated the rest of the way in order to forgive their early loss. The loser of UM/OSU, not going to the championship and damaged enough by whatever happens in that loss, would be much harder to consider. Even an 11-1 OSU would have a home loss in its most important and most recent game to explain.

You can't not invite an undefeated power-five school. It would be nice if championship games went away along with playoff expansion, but $$$. Already, with four teams, they're a distraction.

At any rate, as always with Michigan, the season ends with Ohio State. Any game after that is an afterthought. I didn't even see last season's semifinal, and didn't care enough to get a trial to one of those streaming services.

Yeah its been pretty crazy seeing the guy who went from third string to the best QB Coastal has ever had. I certainly think he can make it in the NFL, and I'm sure he does too, Selfishly I'd like to see him finish his career in Coastal Teal but the lure of transferring to a bigger school would help him reach the NFL.
Old 11-03-2022, 10:14 PM   #1030
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal led 21-14 at the half, and both teams didn't score in the 3rd, Coastal scored twice in the 4th and it looked like I could breath easier, but App State then scored twice but McCall hit the one big play receiver he has this season with a 40+ yard reception and then ran out the clock. Whew
Old 11-05-2022, 09:59 AM   #1031
Edward64
Head Coach

Must be nice to have so much disposable income

Quote:
Georgia-Tennessee is reportedly producing some notable big-time betting action hours before kickoff.

ESPN Chalk’s David Payne Purdum shared on Twitter Friday that Caesars Sports received a pair of 6-figure bets on Georgia to cover 7.5- and 8-point spreads against top-ranked Tennessee.

The first bet was for $110,000 and a $362,000 bet followed shortly after. Purdum confirmed both bets to be placed by sharps.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:56 AM   #1032
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, I'm sorry -- you give up 14 points to IOWA this early, you're just not good.
Old 11-05-2022, 12:08 PM   #1033
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Part of me wants the Nuclear SEC Scenario just for the lolz. Georgia beats Tennessee by one point in OT or something, Alabama beats Georgia in the SEC championship, either all three make it, or whoever doesn't screams bloody murder and and they all have a case etc.

Bonus points if TCU, Clemson, and one of Michigan/OSU goes undefeated so that we can have 3 one-loss SEC teams in and two major-conference unbeatens out, or two SEC in and one major conference out.
Old 11-05-2022, 01:57 PM   #1034
Edward64
Head Coach

Not watching it but assume OSU is not looking like #2
Old 11-05-2022, 02:07 PM   #1035
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Is Maryland-Wisconsin weather-affected today or are the two QBs just having really really bad days?
Old 11-05-2022, 02:17 PM   #1036
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure I believe what horrible luck Missouri just had on the punt.

Heckuva stay with it play by the UK punter but holy moly what bad luck for Mizzou
Old 11-05-2022, 02:22 PM   #1037
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Is Maryland-Wisconsin weather-affected today or are the two QBs just having really really bad days?

Wind gusts to 50. So, a normal Wisconsin ground game, but Maryland's high-octane offense is completely derailed.

Editing - forgot OSU was on the road. Same wind storm. The Buckeyes didn't handle the Northwestern version of the Wildcat very well, so anyone watching won't be impressed.

Still, the winner of UM/OSU will be where they need to be.

Last edited by Solecismic : 11-05-2022 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-05-2022, 02:22 PM   #1038
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Nebraska, the gift that keeps on giving
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 02:26 PM   #1039
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Editing - forgot OSU was on the road. Same wind storm.

Thanks, that's what I wasn't sure about.
Old 11-05-2022, 02:29 PM   #1040
Edward64
Head Coach

UK vs Missouri game was fun
Old 11-05-2022, 02:50 PM   #1041
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Looking at the Big Ten today... the schedule-makers definitely made the most of the wind storm - steady wind of 25-30, gusts to 40-50 in Evanston (OSU at Northwestern), Madison (Maryland at Wisconsin), West Lafayette (Iowa at Purdue - seems to have improved Iowa's offense), with afternoon games in Champaign (MSU at Illinois) and Bloomington (Penn State at Indiana). Only Michigan's game in New Jersey tonight and the Nebraska home game aren't severely weather-impacted.
Old 11-05-2022, 02:57 PM   #1042
Edward64
Head Coach

That does look like a GA TD
Old 11-05-2022, 02:59 PM   #1043
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
That does look like a GA TD

Agreed.

And while I'm posting, regardless of the outcome today, my nerves really don't need this game.
Old 11-05-2022, 03:01 PM   #1044
Edward64
Head Coach

This is a no excuse game (unless refs really fraks it up) to prove who is #1

I always like a mano v mano game
Old 11-05-2022, 03:20 PM   #1045
GrantDawg

That also looks like a safety. Whether they call it that or not is the question.

Old 11-05-2022, 03:22 PM   #1046
GrantDawg

Wow, what a bad call.

Old 11-05-2022, 03:23 PM   #1047
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

After several minutes of looking at truly excellent camera work... why bother having a replay system?
Old 11-05-2022, 03:26 PM   #1048
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

OK. That works. Not sure Tennessee is going to within 30 by the end of this one.
Old 11-05-2022, 03:26 PM   #1049
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm guessing they ultimately ruled it as an incomplete pass but the explanation provided absolutely no context, just the outcome.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 03:28 PM   #1050
Edward64
Head Coach

Hogs have had 3 possessions and we are … bad. Still 0-0 and our run game is non existent. We should be dominating line of scrimmage but are not.