Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-16-2022, 09:10 PM   #2701
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
About a month now and still don't see any details googling with "raleigh school shooting".

Maybe I'm searching on the wrong phrase but it's weird there doesn't seem to be more info re: my questions above?

From earlier this week ...

Basically the suspect remained hospitalized until a couple days ago and the DA seems to have doubts whether he'll ever recover enough to stand trial. That probably cooled the information flow (since he hasn't been brought to court and the cases remains in the hands of the juvenile system until then)
The suspected teen Hedingham shooter is moved from hospital to detention center
Old 11-16-2022, 09:18 PM   #2702
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
From earlier this week ...

Basically the suspect remained hospitalized until a couple days ago and the DA seems to have doubts whether he'll ever recover enough to stand trial. That probably cooled the information flow (since he hasn't been brought to court and the cases remains in the hands of the juvenile system until then)
The suspected teen Hedingham shooter is moved from hospital to detention center

Any info from interviews with parents? From what I know, still unanswered ... no motives? where did the gun come from? did the kid have history of problems etc.

I think these are basic questions that they have (possible) answers to by now.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-16-2022 at 09:19 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:22 PM   #2703
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Any info from interviews with parents? From what I know ... no motives? where did the gun come from? did the kid have history of problems etc.

I think these are basic questions that they have (possible) answers to by now.

Family issued a statement immediately afterwards, said they wouldn't be commenting further

Parents of suspected gunman in Hedingham mass shooting release statement

I don't see anything about other details since the police issue their timeilne 5 days after the shooting
https://abc11.com/raleigh-nc-shootin...pson/12349829/
Old 11-17-2022, 06:04 AM   #2704
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Family issued a statement immediately afterwards, said they wouldn't be commenting further

Parents of suspected gunman in Hedingham mass shooting release statement

I don't see anything about other details since the police issue their timeilne 5 days after the shooting
https://abc11.com/raleigh-nc-shootin...pson/12349829/

I do get the parents not "commenting" (I'd go into hiding myself). But I'm sure they were interviewed by the police.

The lack of information from official sources is, arguably, understandable. The lack of insistence for more details from the Press (in a city like Raleigh) or having them do their own investigation is just weird to me. Seems like they are saying it's not worthy of more investigation ... (which is probably what they are thinking).
Old 11-17-2022, 10:12 AM   #2705
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
You've probably seen this, but he was a walk-on and injured so was only with the team for a semester and really didn't participate much.

I did not see that he was a walk on. That makes more sense. "Former UVA football player" is doing a lot of heavy lifting if he didn't play in any games, did not practice, and was only there for a semester.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:27 AM   #2706
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I do get the parents not "commenting" (I'd go into hiding myself). But I'm sure they were interviewed by the police.

The lack of information from official sources is, arguably, understandable. The lack of insistence for more details from the Press (in a city like Raleigh) or having them do their own investigation is just weird to me. Seems like they are saying it's not worthy of more investigation ... (which is probably what they are thinking).

Unless it was immediately determined that the parents or the suspect's friends were accomplices, I am not sure what the press could responsibly do at this point. I feel like the authorities and the press deserve credit for maintaining the integrity of the investigation up to this point.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-17-2022, 10:37 AM   #2707
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Unless it was immediately determined that the parents or the suspect's friends were accomplices, I am not sure what the press could responsibly do at this point. I feel like the authorities and the press deserve credit for maintaining the integrity of the investigation up to this point.

I do appreciate not rushing to judgement. At Uvalde, there was a bunch reported early that turned out to be inaccurate.

But it has been at least 1+ month. Do we even know who the gun belonged to? I've seen the Oct 20'ish reports which did not identify gun owner, and have not seen any updated info since.

This just seems out of the norm how News covers a mass shooting.
Old 11-17-2022, 12:19 PM   #2708
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I do appreciate not rushing to judgement. At Uvalde, there was a bunch reported early that turned out to be inaccurate.

But it has been at least 1+ month. Do we even know who the gun belonged to? I've seen the Oct 20'ish reports which did not identify gun owner, and have not seen any updated info since.

It is unfortunate that the other way is the norm.

My guess is they have collected their statements from everyone else and are just waiting to start doing interviewing/interrogating the suspect to see where the consensus is and where the discrepancies lie.

Re: gun ownership. Does it matter? I mean yes the suspect could not have legally owned the handgun in North Carolina based on what I read. But he could have legally owned a shotgun. Beyond that I don't think anyone cares that much specifically for a 15 year old in North Carolina.
Old 11-17-2022, 05:02 PM   #2709
Edward64
Head Coach

No, the gun ownership really doesn't matter. It was just an example of something that is (seemingly) reported in mass shootings all the time pretty quickly because that info is easily accessible.
Old 11-17-2022, 05:08 PM   #2710
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That it's stuck in juvenile court until the DA can formally charge him as an adult likely contributes to the minimal amount of information.
Old 11-21-2022, 01:52 PM   #2711
Radii
Head Coach

As I've seen others mention this as the home for all general mass shooting information/discussion:

Colorado Springs shooting: Suspect faces murder and hate crime charges, court records show | CNN

5 killed, 25 injured (most but not all with gunshot wounds I believe I have read elsewhere) in a shooting at a LGBT night club in Colorado Springs, CO. The gunman was disarmed by two patrons.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 01:57 PM   #2712
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Colorado Shooter Is Reportedly Grandson of MAGA Lawmaker, Has History of Domestic Violence

And, of course, the shooter had threatened his mom with a homemade bomb last year and is the grandson of a California MAGA politician.

Oh, and his record for that arrest was somehow sealed:
https://nypost.com/2022/11/21/allege...-red-flag-law/

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-21-2022 at 01:59 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 02:49 PM   #2713
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
As I've seen others mention this as the home for all general mass shooting information/discussion

well, it's not perfect, but given where our country's policymaking sits, and the way all too many of our fellow countrymen apparently think... we can't afford to have a new thread for every mass shooting, the place would be overrun with them

/sigh
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 02:56 PM   #2714
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
well, it's not perfect, but given where our country's policymaking sits, and the way all too many of our fellow countrymen apparently think... we can't afford to have a new thread for every mass shooting, the place would be overrun with them

/sigh

We could do the following threads:

School Shootings
Church Shootings
LGBT Shootings
Other Terrorism Related Shootings (aka non-white mass shooters)
Other Mental Health Related Shootings (white mass shooters)

and all of them could stay on the front page at times.

also /sigh
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 03:06 PM   #2715
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Should there also be a non-political thread for mass shootings? You know, the one that's for casual mentions of thoughts and prayers and anything else is politicization?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-21-2022 at 03:06 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 07:22 AM   #2716
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
As I've seen others mention this as the home for all general mass shooting information/discussion:

Colorado Springs shooting: Suspect faces murder and hate crime charges, court records show | CNN

5 killed, 25 injured (most but not all with gunshot wounds I believe I have read elsewhere) in a shooting at a LGBT night club in Colorado Springs, CO. The gunman was disarmed by two patrons.

Army veteran Richard Fierro describes the moment he took down the Club Q gunman | CNN

I don’t want to take the main focus off of the victims but this article with one of the guys who disarmed the gunman really hit me hard. The instinct, the terminology, the understanding that those skills learned in combat training and on the battlefield are not supposed to be something that your wife and kids should ever have to see you execute. Finally, the regret of not being able to do enough. This part here is where the tears began to flow. I felt every word.

Quote:
“I don’t want to ever do this,” Fierro said of using his combat skills. “I was done doing this stuff, it was too much,” he said. “It lives in you. If you actually do this stuff, it’s in you … I’m not a GI Joe, I’m just a normal guy.”

Naw Major, you are not just a normal guy. Your actions Saturday night proved otherwise.
Old 11-22-2022, 08:11 AM   #2717
Edward64
Head Coach

His daughter's boyfriend killed. They must have a ton of mixed emotions right now.
Old 11-22-2022, 08:51 AM   #2718
HerRealName
College Prospect

I wonder how long this hero has before the right starts attacking him for being a groomer.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 09:10 AM   #2719
Kodos
Resident Alien

That interview was heartbreaking. That poor man.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 05:33 AM   #2720
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

On to the next one.

Walmart mass shooting in Chesapeake, Virginia | 13newsnow.com
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 06:58 AM   #2721
Kodos
Resident Alien

What a country we live in.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:28 AM   #2722
QuikSand
lolzcat

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 03:38 PM   #2723
miami_fan
Coordinator

I mean...wow...there is a lot here.

‘I'm sorry I let my son down’ | Father of accused Colorado club shooter speaks out | cbs8.com
Old 11-23-2022, 05:57 PM   #2724
BYU 14
Coordinator

Less than two minutes in, it becomes pretty apparent why the kid was jacked up, his Dad is a complete mess, who continually tries to make it about himself.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 06:04 PM   #2725
BYU 14
Coordinator

Dola: And this guy was subbed by Andrei Arlovski at UFC 28 by armbar, and fought a NC against Rich Franklin WTF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tCt-tppk5w

Last edited by BYU 14 : 11-23-2022 at 06:12 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:46 PM   #2726
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Less than two minutes in, it becomes pretty apparent why the kid was jacked up, his Dad is a complete mess, who continually tries to make it about himself.

It does make me wonder the environment the Dad grew up in.

Wouldn't surprise me if he grew up in a screwed up environment also. I'm all for stopping that strand in the gene pool. Give that kid a death sentence if he's guilty (and sure looks like it).

Frak, if you want to kill someone, go join the Ukrainian Legion (or the French Foreign Legion) or even the Wagner group. Keep innocent civilians out of your rage.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-23-2022 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:45 PM   #2727
RainMaker
General Manager

I would like to know why no charges were filed against him for holding relatives at gunpoint, making bomb threats that forced the evacuation of the neighborhood, and refusing to surrender to police. Like I've heard of misdemeanors getting swept under the rug but it seems crazy that there would not be a single charge against him. Something really weird in that case.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 10:23 AM   #2728
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I would like to know why no charges were filed against him for holding relatives at gunpoint, making bomb threats that forced the evacuation of the neighborhood, and refusing to surrender to police. Like I've heard of misdemeanors getting swept under the rug but it seems crazy that there would not be a single charge against him. Something really weird in that case.
And the record sealed. I mean, how does that happen?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 06:22 PM   #2729
JPhillips
General Manager

His grandfather is a state senator.
Old 11-24-2022, 06:49 PM   #2730
GrantDawg

...in California. How does a State Senator from another state have that kind of pull?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2022, 10:32 AM   #2731
JPhillips
General Manager

I don't know, but I'd guess somebody with the same MAGA tendencies did the guy a favor. There are plenty of people willing to bend the rules for a fellow tribe member.
Old 11-30-2022, 08:23 AM   #2732
GrantDawg

Reports of a active shooter at Savannah High School. Early police radio reports at least 6 injured.
Edit: Early reports that the shooter is in custody. It is possible it was a teacher, but nothing is confirmed.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-30-2022 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:03 AM   #2733
cuervo72
Head Coach

Teacher? Oh, that's a new twist to consider.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:29 AM   #2734
GrantDawg

It was a hoax. It did cause a massive police response, including armored cars and all. It was one of three in schools that happened at the same time.

Old 12-08-2022, 04:26 PM   #2735
miami_fan
Coordinator

Here is a bit of good news for this thread. It looks like we actually avoided one this time. Thank goodness the ex girlfriend took his threats seriously and the authorities took her seriously.

Man Planning Mass Shooting Arrested After Ex-Girlfriend Alerts Cops: Police
Old 12-09-2022, 06:14 PM   #2736
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 12-30-2022, 02:06 PM   #2737
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
The murders in Idaho (I know not gun related, but school related) is getting weirder and scarier. They have no suspects and few leads. 4 young people stabbed and bleed out, and there were other roommates home at the time! This is horror movie stuff.

They have arrested a guy in Pennsylvania in connection with the murders. He is working on a PHD in Criminology at Washington State. This case gets more and more bizarre.
Old 12-30-2022, 02:52 PM   #2738
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
They have arrested a guy in Pennsylvania in connection with the murders. He is working on a PHD in Criminology at Washington State. This case gets more and more bizarre.

Yeah, this case is extremely weird. Doesn't really fall into any of the standard motives you see.
Old 12-30-2022, 03:14 PM   #2739
GrantDawg

From the press conference, it doesn't sound like much information can be released until this guy is brought to Idaho, which could take awhile. I'm sure there will be leaks, but nothing official.

Old 12-30-2022, 04:47 PM   #2740
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So he was arrested in the poconos about 20 miles from where we were skiing the past few days. Crazy.
Old 12-30-2022, 04:56 PM   #2741
RainMaker
General Manager

Earning a PHD in criminal justice makes this a little creepier. Maybe someone who was obsessed with serial killers and wanted to be one. This call is also really creepy.

Old 12-30-2022, 09:36 PM   #2742
Edward64
Head Coach

If you are going to do a crime be sure not to leave any DNA. And if you do leave some DNA, make sure your relatives haven't submitted anything to 23andMe and like.

I know there are some privacy issues but I really like how DNA from "public databases" are used in helping solve crime.

Idaho student murders: Suspect Bryan Kohberger arrested on first-degree murder warrant | CNN
Quote:
Genetic genealogy helped investigators identify the suspect, a source with knowledge of the case said. DNA found in Idaho was taken through a public database to find potential matches for family members, the source said. Once potential family matches were found, subsequent investigative work by law enforcement led to the identification of Kohberger, according to the source.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-30-2022 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-30-2022, 09:46 PM   #2743
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
If you are going to do a crime be sure not to leave any DNA. And if you do leave some DNA, make sure your relatives haven't submitted anything to 23andMe and like.

I know there are some privacy issues but I really like how DNA from "public databases" are used in helping solve crime.

Idaho student murders: Suspect Bryan Kohberger arrested on first-degree murder warrant | CNN

I feel like if we invested a bunch of money, we'd be able to solve a lot of cold cases this way. All those rape kits sitting untested, cases from 20 years ago, etc.
Old 12-30-2022, 11:08 PM   #2744
cuervo72
Head Coach

I swear that's how half of these murder shows get solved. There's this one woman who is a self-taught genealogy sleuth (read: has a lot of time to poke around on genealogy sites) who a family hires after police spin their wheels for oh, two decades, then boom -- finds a 65yo great-uncle of someone on 23andMe.
Old 12-30-2022, 11:11 PM   #2745
Edward64
Head Coach

I don't think money is the primary constraint. It's the privacy issue.

See below for some of the stuff swirling around. I'm thinking it won't get resolved anytime soon.

DNA Databases Are Boon to Police But Menace to Privacy, Critics Say | The Pew Charitable Trusts

I thought just do same thing like with warrants but the below comment resonated with me also

Quote:
But Michael Melendez, policy director of Libertas Institute, a free-market think tank based in Lehi, Utah, that helped Hall craft the bill, said traditional consent and warrant models don’t apply to DNA databases.

“You won't see a warrant for an entire town to knock on everyone's door and search everyone's house,” Melendez said. “In the same sense, with a digital DNA database, we don’t believe you can go in and just get a warrant to do a mass search.”
Old 12-31-2022, 08:36 AM   #2746
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I read a story a while back on this and it is a pretty interesting dilemma. Woman gets raped, goes to hospital and does rape kit, etc...a few years later DNA is found at the scene of a robbery that was hers and it was used to arrest her based off the sample from the rape kit.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/13/u...francisco.html
Old 12-31-2022, 09:35 AM   #2747
Edward64
Head Coach

I couldn't read the NYT story but found it at CBS. Interesting story

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sexual-...her-by-police/
Quote:
The charges were dropped after the district attorney learned how the evidence was obtained.

Now, attorney Adante Pointer is filing a federal civil rights lawsuit on Doe's behalf against the City and County of San Francisco and some police department employees, claiming use of her DNA was unlawful search-and-seizure.

"What you have going on here is turning the justice system and our legal principles on their head by gaining someone's consent to the most personal thing they have in their most vulnerable moment, and then storing and cataloging that and weaponizing it against them for some unrelated purpose," Pointer said.
Quote:
It is illegal for crime victims' DNA to be used in federal databases. But there's no such law in many states, including in California at the time DNA was taken from Doe, to stop officials from storing and using it for other purposes.

San Francisco's crime lab stopped the practice after the incident, admitting it had also been storing the DNA of violent crime victims and victimized children.
Old 01-03-2023, 02:47 PM   #2748
GrantDawg

Wow, the Iowa suspect waved extradition. I really expected him to fight it and drag the process oit.

Old 01-03-2023, 02:49 PM   #2749
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Wow, the Iowa suspect

dude
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 02:49 PM   #2750
molson