Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-15-2022, 04:21 PM   #451
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 07:30 PM   #452
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

That was the first time in the Premier League era that Manchester United had given up EIGHT goals to any team in their Prem matches, never mind the actual total of 9 that Liverpool tallied.
Old 04-19-2022, 08:44 PM   #453
miami_fan
Coordinator

I had the game on in the background and on mute while I was doing some other stuff. Every time I looked up Liverpool had the ball. I think it was after the second goal, I saw the kickoff happen, looked away for no more than three seconds and Liverpool had the ball again. I am shocked that possession numbers were only 72%-28% in favor of Liverpool.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 05:37 AM   #454
miami_fan
Coordinator

Fulham is back in the Premier League! YAY! It would be nice if we can get the transfer window right this time to give us a chance to stay up.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-20-2022, 03:37 PM   #455
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I really don't care who wins the Arsenal/Chelsea game, but how did they allow that penalty AFTER review? Saka had a hold of the Chelsea player's arm with BOTH HANDS at one point and pulled him down with him, and they upheld the penalty. Just terrible.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 03:38 PM   #456
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Leicester has to be nearing a record for most points lost in the final like 10 minutes of a game. I was just waiting for an Everton goal to flash up in extra time, and sure enough...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 11:48 AM   #457
miami_fan
Coordinator

Anthony Gordon gets that penalty if he did get booked for diving in the first half.
Old 04-24-2022, 01:54 PM   #458
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Anthony Gordon gets that penalty if he did get booked for diving in the first half.

Didnt think it was a penalty, ran alongside, bumped then fell over.

Ive always kind of liked Everton in a 'at least theyre not Liverpool' style, but they play the kind of football that deserves relegation.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 04:03 PM   #459
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Lol Everton were never getting that.

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/1...W3VvzG6jA&s=19
Old 04-25-2022, 10:15 AM   #460
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post

Ive always kind of liked Everton in a 'at least theyre not Liverpool' style, but they play the kind of football that deserves relegation.

Long time Everton supporter here. Their football style is NOT what you saw yesterday. They are normally pretty free-flowing but we just dont have the horses this year. Lots of swings and misses at the top. We played thuggery yesterday because that was the only way to not get beat by 15. Richarlson can be a whiny bitch but Gordon has serious potential and that dive was disappointing. But i get why he did it.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:50 AM   #461
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post

I would put it in the "I have seen them given" category. I don't Mason Mount has a rep as a diver so I will say that if that was Mason Mount instead of Anthony Gordon, the ref gives a penalty.
Old 04-26-2022, 03:38 PM   #462
miami_fan
Coordinator

Who messed with the game settings of this semi finals?

Some brilliant skills being exhibited offensely but my god the defenses are horrible.
Old 04-26-2022, 08:11 PM   #463
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

City UCL matches are almost always full of life. The story of their season is missing scoring chance after scoring chance. Funny to say after scoring 4 against Real, but it could have been 6 or 7. Had City taken their chances against Liverpool the league would basically be over.

Time for Erling to wear sky blue like his dad did. Will be massive if it happens. And all the whispers say it's basically done.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 04-26-2022 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-29-2022, 04:03 PM   #464
AlexB
Pro Starter

This is a few months old now, but one of the strangest interviews I’ve seen!

AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 04:21 PM   #465
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

After listening to that, I've got some real questions about this Terry character.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 04:52 PM   #466
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Time for Erling to wear sky blue like his dad did. Will be massive if it happens. And all the whispers say it's basically done.

Haaland to Manchester City will be a hate crime.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 05:10 PM   #467
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Haaland to Manchester City will be a hate crime.

'Tis destiny.

Old 05-04-2022, 03:50 PM   #468
miami_fan
Coordinator

Real Madrid is doing it again.
Old 05-04-2022, 04:02 PM   #469
bhlloy
Coordinator

Right click… quit Football Manager 22… load up the SI forums to post an all time rant about the game engine
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 04:03 PM   #470
kingfc22
Head Coach

Surprised Sov isn’t in here
Old 05-04-2022, 04:38 PM   #471
miami_fan
Coordinator

La remontada es completa
Old 05-04-2022, 04:42 PM   #472
Critch
lolzcat

Five minutes to go, my wife is taking one of our cats to the vet for a checkup.

That's when I said "I'll come too, this game is over". What a numpt.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:30 AM   #473
miami_fan
Coordinator

Speaking of Champions League, congrats to the Seattle Sounders on winning the CONCACAF Champions League.
Old 05-07-2022, 12:55 PM   #474
miami_fan
Coordinator

If Brighton took all of their chances, 9-0 would be a possibility. Time to get Harry Maguire back in the lineup?
Old 05-07-2022, 01:50 PM   #475
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Crazy finish in the English League Two.

Imagine being up five goals on point difference for the last automatic promotion spot, winning your game 3-1 and still getting knocked down to the playoffs... that's what happened. Northampton's 3-1 win wasn't enough because Bristol Rovers destroyed Scunthorpe 7-0 to take the final automatic promotion spot on the second tiebreaker, goals scored.
Old 05-07-2022, 04:24 PM   #476
miami_fan
Coordinator

A team managed by Joey Barton running up the score? Who da thunk it?

Seriously though, given the shitty state of Scunthorpe United, it is not surprising.
Old 05-09-2022, 10:19 AM   #477
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
If Brighton took all of their chances, 9-0 would be a possibility. Time to get Harry Maguire back in the lineup?

Why do you have to make me sad like this?

Rangrick was a woeful choice as interim manager. When he was appointed, I commented over at The Athletic that someone whose main experience was implementing a root-and-branch system over the course of several years was an odd appointment as interim.

What you want is someone like Carlo Ancelotti,* who is adept and fashioning something workable from an existing team, vs. having a dogmatic view on how to play football.

I'm happy there will be an unforced cleanout this summer (lots of big players out of contract), but I don't have any hope. I'm sure Ten Hag is great, but the club is rotten in too many facets for every the best of managers to fix.

*probably not actually Carlo Ancelotti, because he's otherwise engaged.
Old 05-09-2022, 10:34 AM   #478
bhlloy
Coordinator

You hit the nail on the head right there at the end. It wouldn't matter who the interim is because the club is completely broken from top to bottom, and has 10+ years of insanity and dysfunction to clear out first. I don't think Ancelotti would have made a damn bit of difference either.

Is Ten Hag the man for the job? I'm skeptical, but if the fans and owners don't have patience and let this be a 3 year rebuild job minimum, it's not going to matter who the manager is.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:12 PM   #479
miami_fan
Coordinator

Liverpool has 14 players on the pitch right?
Old 05-30-2022, 05:40 PM   #480
miami_fan
Coordinator

Just getting caught up on some of the footage and reports from the events outside of the stadium before the Champions League final including reporting from extremely biased Real Madrid news sources. Those Real Madrid sources confirm everything I am seeing from the English media. It looks like the French authorities really tried to create their own version of Hillsborough disaster.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:56 AM   #481
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Just getting caught up on some of the footage and reports from the events outside of the stadium before the Champions League final including reporting from extremely biased Real Madrid news sources. Those Real Madrid sources confirm everything I am seeing from the English media. It looks like the French authorities really tried to create their own version of Hillsborough disaster.
Yeah, even if there was massive ticket fraud I don't see how shutting the gates and trapping people with no way to leave, then using riot control tactics is the answer.

In unrelated MLS news, Charlotte FC and David Tepper fired their head coach who has the team playing well above expectations and talent level. He seemed at odds with some of their overseas signings & certainly seemed willing to express his opinion based off his season preview press conference, but Tepper remains a joke of an owner between this, the Panthers, and the aborted team facilities construction deal.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:27 PM   #482
miami_fan
Coordinator

Ahh UEFA.

England is playing a Nations League match in Hungary tomorrow. After they were there the last time, Hungary was fined €100,000 and told to play three games behind closed doors with one of those games suspended for two years for racially abuse the English players along with homophobic chants. Hungary appealed it down to 2 with 1 suspended. So tomorrow game should be behind closed doors, right?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Due to Article 73 of UEFA's disciplinary regulations which states that certain exceptions can be made, including "children up to the age of 14 (duly accompanied) from schools and/or football academies.", more than 35,000 people have been invited to the game. For every ten kids, they must have one adult. That means the stadium will be at least at 50% capacity. That does not include the members of the Hungarian FA, stewards, security cooks and anyone else that will somehow be required for that game.

To be fair, England will be doing the same for their game against Italy. They are expecting 2,000-3,000 children.
Old 06-04-2022, 09:07 AM   #483
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Unreal. And even with this, UEFA are still the better-run organization than FIFA.

If the Hungarians spew racial abuse again, I wonder if there's an upping of the sanctions for a second offense?
Old 06-05-2022, 09:54 AM   #484
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Ahh UEFA.

England is playing a Nations League match in Hungary tomorrow. After they were there the last time, Hungary was fined €100,000 and told to play three games behind closed doors with one of those games suspended for two years for racially abuse the English players along with homophobic chants. Hungary appealed it down to 2 with 1 suspended. So tomorrow game should be behind closed doors, right?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Due to Article 73 of UEFA's disciplinary regulations which states that certain exceptions can be made, including "children up to the age of 14 (duly accompanied) from schools and/or football academies.", more than 35,000 people have been invited to the game. For every ten kids, they must have one adult. That means the stadium will be at least at 50% capacity. That does not include the members of the Hungarian FA, stewards, security cooks and anyone else that will somehow be required for that game.

To be fair, England will be doing the same for their game against Italy. They are expecting 2,000-3,000 children.
Actually, this isn't the first time a "no crowd" penalty has been resolved that way by UEFA.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 01:01 PM   #485
miami_fan
Coordinator

Congratulations to Wales for making the Wold Cup for the first time since 1958.
Old 06-05-2022, 01:08 PM   #486
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am intentionally separating this from the congrats post.

At the final whistle, I felt a cold shiver for Andriy Yarmolenko. That sort of emotional pressure on that squad and to have that be the only goal. That would be a lot.
Old 06-05-2022, 05:20 PM   #487
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Actually, this isn't the first time a "no crowd" penalty has been resolved that way by UEFA.

And I think it’s a decent idea TBH - gets kids into games they otherwise wouldn’t see, and in a clearly more family friendly environment (although kids booing the taking of the knee was interesting: while I don’t think the gesture makes any difference now, actually booing it is another level)
Old 06-05-2022, 09:22 PM   #488
miami_fan
Coordinator

Was it clearly a more family friendly environment for the Hungarian school children? I don't remember hearing about how the Hungarian schoolchildren were negatively affected by what went on the last time England went there. What about the family friendly environment for the England supporters at the match yesterday? Oh yeah, there were none because the match was supposedly being played behind closed doors.

The thing is UEFA did not have to say they were playing the game behind closed doors if they didn't want to do it and allowed that as the end result. I get it. No one believes that playing a game behind closed doors will change the fans' behavior. Having games played behind closed doors sucks as a TV viewing product and it is probably not something UEFA was to broadcast to the world especially after the pandemic. Here is my suggestion. Next time something like this happens, UEFA can just send out the following statement.

"The racism/homophobia expressed in the stadium during the game are those of the fans and those fans only. They do not represent the opinions and beliefs of UEFA and its member nations."

Easy does it and every one can move on with their business. If the Hungarian FA wants to invite the school children in, they can do that out of the goodness of their hearts at any point. The fact that they are doing it in association with the punishment/penalties isn't a good look either nor should it be something that is commeded.
Old 06-06-2022, 01:45 AM   #489
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Was it clearly a more family friendly environment for the Hungarian school children?….

Yes. No alcohol, 90% of the crowd weren’t grown men shouting abuse at players, almost certainly less swearing (but my Hungarian is sketchy and the crowd mics weren’t loud so I could be wrong on that ), etc

Last edited by AlexB : 06-06-2022 at 01:45 AM.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:05 AM   #490
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

It feels like a points deduction would have been more meaningful, but no one's ever going to agree to that.
Old 06-07-2022, 06:50 AM   #491
whomario
Pro Starter

Well, that's one way to do it :

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote