Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-22-2007, 08:05 AM   #701
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Yeah, something like that. The skins only take a 1/6th ammoritizaiton of his salary on this years cap and push the rest back onto next year, cause he was traded instead of cut before june 1(which brings full ammoritization onto the cap).

And the Bears gave him a new 3 year 8.1m deal with 5m guaranteed...something to that effect.

The Redskins take a $4 million dollar cap hit this year for him, but he's off the books after 2007. The Bears are picking up most of the $5 million dollar bonus he was due that kept getting pushed back while they tried to trade him.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:20 AM   #702
Bee
Pro Starter

That's way too much for Schaub. The Texans have a lot of problems, but I don't think exchanging one mediocre quarterback for another is really going to solve anything.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:21 AM   #703
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

All this will change in Houston is the name of the guy getting sacked.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:30 AM   #704
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
All this will change in Houston is the name of the guy getting sacked.

Wonder how Schaub will look as a stick figure with a broken leg.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:37 AM   #705
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Last edited by flere-imsaho : 03-22-2007 at 09:05 AM. Reason: I'm bored, so I added 3 more panels.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:54 AM   #706
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

ROFLMAO.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:12 AM   #707
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

LOL, glad I asked.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:24 AM   #708
Logan
Head Coach

With no disrespect to your in-season ones, that was the best segment yet. Even more impressive on 5 minutes of notice.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:42 AM   #709
RedKingGold
College Starter

I miss NFL Week in Pictures. Thanks for the nice teaser!
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:48 AM   #710
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Awesome!
Old 03-22-2007, 10:51 AM   #711
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2808100

Shaub's contract: 6 years, $48 million with $7 million guaranteed and $20 million over the first three years.

(On a side note, it is nice to see that the media finally seems to understand how to report the relevant detalis about NFL contracts. No more of this "Joe Blow signed for $60 million dollars" stuff when $48 million of that would be funny money.)
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:30 AM   #712
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Nice, flere
Old 03-22-2007, 11:33 AM   #713
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2808100

Shaub's contract: 6 years, $48 million with $7 million guaranteed and $20 million over the first three years.

(On a side note, it is nice to see that the media finally seems to understand how to report the relevant detalis about NFL contracts. No more of this "Joe Blow signed for $60 million dollars" stuff when $48 million of that would be funny money.)

They must've gotten tired of bloggers and message board posters making them look like idiots.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:27 PM   #714
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Am I the only one who thinks a trade of Randy Moss for David Carr would be excellent for both teams?
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:42 PM   #715
Logan
Head Coach

Len P on espn.com brought up the potential Carr to the Raiders move (with a separate Moss trade I believe). I gotta say I think Carr could be decent throwing to Calvin Johnson over there.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:47 PM   #716
Groundhog
Coordinator

LMAO... nice work flere
Old 03-23-2007, 02:42 PM   #717
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...24falcons.html

A day after trading backup QB Matt Schaub, and signing his potential replacement in Chris Redman, the team has increased its pursuit of free agent defensive tackle Ian Scott. The Falcons and Scott, who played four seasons for the Bears, are involved in contract negotiations, according to a person familiar with the situation. Scott visited with team officials on Thursday, according to the source.

The 6-foot-3, 302-pound Scott is weighing offers from several teams and could come to a decision within the next few days. The Falcons have had discussions with Scott for more than a week, but contract talks did not heat up until the past few days.

Atlanta is trying to add depth and youth to its defensive front and Scott would be in the rotation with starting nose tackle Grady Jackson, who was used last season primarily on running downs.
Already this week, the Falcons traded Schaub to the Houston Texas, and Thursday night signed ex-Ravens QB Chris Redman to a one-year deal, according to Redman's agent, Joby Branian. Terms of the contract were not immediately disclosed.

Redman, who did not play in the NFL last season, played for Falcons coach Bobby Petrino for one season at the University of Louisville, when Petrino was the head coach.

Second-year Georgia product D.J. Shockley is the in-house candidate to take over as Michael Vick's backup.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:46 PM   #718
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Houston cuts Carr.

Well, that kills the trade talk! Good for them though, not jerking him around...
Old 03-23-2007, 03:50 PM   #719
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Houston cuts Carr.

Well, that kills the trade talk! Good for them though, not jerking him around...

Not to mention they killed Carr's trade value when they named Schaub the starter at his press conference.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:01 PM   #720
Travis
Pro Rookie

Now if you're a team near the top of the draft with questions at QB and WR, do you try and sign Carr so that you can try and draft Johnson? Are any of the QB's in the draft better than potentially comboing up Carr and Johnson?

If you're David Carr do you only listen to offers from teams with offensive lines that can block for more than half a steamboat? I'd love to see the Seahawks go after him as a backup, but given all the money floating around this offseason, I'd be very surprised if he isn't handed a starters job somewhere.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:09 PM   #721
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

If I'm the Raiders, Carr to Johnson/Porter/Curry is a whole lot more attractive than Russell to Moss/Porter/Curry.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:18 PM   #722
Huckleberry
College Starter

The Texans also cut Dominick Williams neé Davis today. That means that both the players named as (poor) justification for not drafting Vince Young or Reggie Bush were cut today.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:23 PM   #723
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

So, to date...

Bears have lost a couple decent special teamers, a good linebacker / newly found cancer, a quality running back, and will be losing a decent backup DT.

And we've acquired...an overpaid safety.

Oh, and re-signed a coach I never cared for, and hired a nobody coordinator.

Bears not looking good in preseason.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 03-23-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:23 PM   #724
SunDevil
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
The Texans also cut Dominick Williams neé Davis today. That means that both the players named as (poor) justification for not drafting Vince Young or Reggie Bush were cut today.

And yet the GM who made those justifications is now working at ESPN as a football expert.....
That's a double whammy and I hate you.

Last edited by SunDevil : 03-23-2007 at 04:24 PM.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:31 PM   #725
RedKingGold
College Starter

NFL Network is reporting the Bronco's will trade Al Wilson to the New York Giants. Still looking for what the compensation will be.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:33 PM   #726
RedKingGold
College Starter

Also, ESPN.com is reporting that S Ken Hamlin has signed with the Cowboys (one year, 2.5 million)

Probably a solid deal for the Boys' as he'll play centerfield and help cover up some of Roy Williams's weaknesses in coverage.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:36 PM   #727
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
NFL Network is reporting the Bronco's will trade Al Wilson to the New York Giants. Still looking for what the compensation will be.

Everything I've read from NY Papers is the deal was done but when WIlson came in for the Physical it fell apart and now won't happen.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #728
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
If I'm the Raiders, Carr to Johnson/Porter/Curry is a whole lot more attractive than Russell to Moss/Porter/Curry.

David Carr has already been sacked 249 times in his career while playing for Houston. Now you want him to go to Oakland who allowed a league high 72 sacks in 16 games last season? If the Houston experience didn’t kill him sending him to Oakland sure will.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:01 PM   #729
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
And yet the GM who made those justifications is now working at ESPN as a football expert.....

Heh. My favorite Bill Bellichick quote from this year, when asked about a Patriots future move by the press, he stated, "why don't you ask Charley Casserly, he knows everything."

[email protected]
TCY Golden Scribe Winner - Bear Goes Home

"The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out."
--Thomas B. Macaulay
beargrowlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:06 PM   #730
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Also, ESPN.com is reporting that S Ken Hamlin has signed with the Cowboys (one year, 2.5 million)

Probably a solid deal for the Boys' as he'll play centerfield and help cover up some of Roy Williams's weaknesses in coverage.

They're going to be disappointed if that's what they got him for I really like Hamlin but the whole reason he's not back with Seattle is his coverage liability. Definitely more suited to be a SS, but I hope he does well, though it will be hard to stay a fan of his now that he plays for Dallas...
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:26 PM   #731
QuikSand
lolzcat

There are a variety of reasons why I wanted to root for the Texans. I really wanted to.

But their (whoever is actually making decisions over there) continued insistence upon, time after time, making completely idiotic decisions like this (undermining any potential trade value for Carr, then releasing him outright) make it really, really hard to continue to do so.

Fucking idiots.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:52 PM   #732
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Carr to Oakland is a must, but Green Bay might be a better destination. Maybe a year to sit down and absorb what he's learned, rather than absorbing more punishment, might do wonders for him.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:36 PM   #733
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Nice call sachmo. For his career, that would most likely be the best. For the $$, however, they'd have to sign him to starters $$ or structure his contract in some complex fashion so as to allow starters money with incentives.

Another team will likely come in with that $$ from the get go.

I'd like to see him do well. I'm, with Quick on this. I want the Texans to do better than they seem to want to do or able to do, themselves.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:39 PM   #734
st.cronin
General Manager

Carr doesn't seem like the Raiders type of qb. I can see somebody like Minnesota, or Kansas City.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:17 PM   #735
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Both Carr and Davis gone. So much for not needing Young or Bush.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:50 PM   #736
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Man, it must be excruciating to be a Texans fan.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #737
MikeVic
Head Coach

So Domanick Davis from last year is Domanick Williams this year?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:16 PM   #738
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

You know, for all the stuff that was being said about Mike Brown back in the day (I was part of that crowd) I really think that since the advent of free agency he has had the right idea with regards to the cap and signing players. There are too many teams building for a shot or two that eventually have to totally tear the team apart and have about 4 or 5 horrible years waiting for cap relief, while Cincinnati has been able to lock up key players for the long term and lose nothing but role players here and there.

It took them a while to learn how to evaluate talent and find the right coach, but since Marvin Lewis has been there (and even a couple years before that) the only real questionable moves I think Cincinnati has made involve drafting some risky character guys.

Not that this has anything to do with this years offseason, because rather than cutting guys to make room for mediocre free agents, they have decided to stand pat.. I actually like Mike Brown as an owner now. I see all the moves being made by the Casserlys and the Millens and the Snyders.. I saw the dismantling of the Niners and the Titans..

And looking at that, I am very happy with Brown and how he stood by his way of doing things. Even if he has loosened the reins the past few years, I think that is more a product of better talent evaluation and a better understanding of what to do and what not to do with free agents.

This was all inspired by damnMikeBrown's screen name in case anyone was curious.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 03-23-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:18 PM   #739
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
So Domanick Davis from last year is Domanick Williams this year?

That is correct. He changed his name.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:30 PM   #740
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle View Post
Everything I've read from NY Papers is the deal was done but when WIlson came in for the Physical it fell apart and now won't happen.

Goddamnit.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:31 PM   #741
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
That is correct. He changed his name.

This shit seems to be out of control lately. No name changing.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:56 PM   #742
duckman
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
Carr to Oakland is a must, but Green Bay might be a better destination. Maybe a year to sit down and absorb what he's learned, rather than absorbing more punishment, might do wonders for him.
I can see Cleveland signing him and possibly taking Adrian Peterson with the 3rd pick.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:14 PM   #743
RedKingGold
College Starter

Carr to Oakland makes way too much sense to actually happen (Oakland needs a QB, Carr is from Bakersfield, CA and went to Fresno).
Old 03-23-2007, 09:19 PM   #744
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
This shit seems to be out of control lately. No name changing.

The random name hyphenations piss me off more. Jones-Drew, Fletcher-Baker.....arrrggghhhh
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:53 AM   #746
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Could people get off of Reggie Bush's jock until he does something to show that he's more than a big play 3rd down back/returner? He had a pitiful 3.6ypc last year behind a pretty good OL with a long run of 18 yards. He's a fast player who does well in space but is clearly below average between the tackles. Let's have him pull of more 20+ yard runs and a better ypc than Wali Lundy before acknowledging him as more than the Antwan Randle-El of RB's. Add in his idiot factor, like pissing off Chicago with his stupid taunting (and he was a world class asshat at USC as well), and he needs some serious maturity and toughness before being anything more than a big play "potential" guy. At this point he's Larry Centers 2.0.

Um, I think the point I was making was that as it stands now, Bush is better (now and potential wise) to have than Davis/Williams. I don't think you can argue that point.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:45 AM   #747
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If Carr invested his #1 pick money, he should not need a big contract. You would think that it would be more important for him to go to a team that can win than to sign for the most money possible or to get a starting job for a shitty team.

He, more than anyone, should have had enough of starting for a shitty team.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:47 AM   #748
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Man, it must be excruciating to be a Texans fan.

maybe it is, i dont know because the Texans lost thier chance to make me a fan when the ignored Vince Young last year and then didnt pick him. so im still a Vikes/Boys fan. with a minor in Tennesse (i still hate Bud so i only root for Young)

Last edited by bulletsponge : 03-24-2007 at 09:48 AM.
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:50 AM   #749
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Could people get off of Reggie Bush's jock until he does something to show that he's more than a big play 3rd down back/returner? He had a pitiful 3.6ypc last year behind a pretty good OL with a long run of 18 yards. He's a fast player who does well in space but is clearly below average between the tackles. Let's have him pull of more 20+ yard runs and a better ypc than Wali Lundy before acknowledging him as more than the Antwan Randle-El of RB's. Add in his idiot factor, like pissing off Chicago with his stupid taunting (and he was a world class asshat at USC as well), and he needs some serious maturity and toughness before being anything more than a big play "potential" guy. At this point he's Larry Centers 2.0.

Bush caught 88 balls last season, which is not chump change. And, after he stopped trying to bounce every play to the outside like he was playing against Sacramento State, he got a lot better as a runner. He averaged 4.8 YPC for the second half of the season.

He still has a lot to learn, and injuries can derail anyone, so I am not guaranteeing that he will amount to anything.

But, the improvment that he made over the course of the season was pretty remarkable and is something that a lot of people seem to ignore/dismiss. If he continues to demonstrate that same work ethic and willingness to learn and change his style to adapt to the NFL, he could end up with Marshall Faulk's ceiling.

But, the Texans have Ahman Green now, so they don't need to worry about that.