Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #1
Rumplebeanskin
n00b

Statistics for Analysing Players

Hi,

I recently went back to FOF7 after a number of years not playing. I was a never a particularly adept player, but I do follow the sport a lot so have the knowledge there (of sorts, anyway).

I'm nearing the end of my first season, 2015, as Carolina. I have 20 players on my roster who are going to become free agents. I am currently 11-3 and about to begin week 16.

So, I need to start talking to a few guys I'd like to keep around. I don't just want to use overall as an "X is good, Y is bad. Resign X, don't resign Y" type philosophy. I also don't want to think that because I'm 11-3, everyone deserves to be coming back. Both of course play a part, but there is always more to it than that.

So I went to the stats screen. A lot of the stats I've heard of, others are new to me or the abbreviation didn't make sense. I've looked online in a lot of places but can't find much help. If anyone here could shed some light on what the stats actually mean, that would be awesome.

Passing/Misc. Passing - No issues here. All straight forward.
Rushing - FDRu? First Downs Rushed? Everything else is fine.
Receiving - TPct? And what does it mean? Presume it's a percent.
Defence - PRpct? Again, a percent, Pass receptions? Tkpct? Tackle percentage, so how many made/missed tackles?
Pass Coverage - PDPct? Pass deflections percent? Caught I presume is catches allowed?
Blocking - KRO? Bpct? I presume is blocking percent? SPct? OPct?

As I have said, I presume a lot of the stats are percentages, but I couldn't even work out percentages of what. Example.

Charles Tillman is 34, but from what I can see, is having a pretty decent season.

Games played - 14
Tackles - 48
Int - 4
Defn - 5
Caught - 38
Passing Plays - 545
PDPct - 79.1

I've no idea if that PDpct is good or bad, that's the issue. I have a feeling it's going to be reasonable. It's the 87th best in the league, right now. No idea if it's a good idea to give him another contract or let him walk!

Can anyone explain what the stats are that I'm missing, listed above?
Can anyone explain how those stats are calculated and if a high/low number is better?
Can anyone provide any stats pointers for what is generally considered good/bad/average?

Thanks

Rumplebeanskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:27 PM   #2
rush_27
n00b

A lot of this is in the help file in game. Press F1
rush_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:39 PM   #3
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumplebeanskin View Post
Hi,

I recently went back to FOF7 after a number of years not playing. I was a never a particularly adept player, but I do follow the sport a lot so have the knowledge there (of sorts, anyway).

I'm nearing the end of my first season, 2015, as Carolina. I have 20 players on my roster who are going to become free agents. I am currently 11-3 and about to begin week 16.

So, I need to start talking to a few guys I'd like to keep around. I don't just want to use overall as an "X is good, Y is bad. Resign X, don't resign Y" type philosophy. I also don't want to think that because I'm 11-3, everyone deserves to be coming back. Both of course play a part, but there is always more to it than that.

So I went to the stats screen. A lot of the stats I've heard of, others are new to me or the abbreviation didn't make sense. I've looked online in a lot of places but can't find much help. If anyone here could shed some light on what the stats actually mean, that would be awesome.

Passing/Misc. Passing - No issues here. All straight forward.
Rushing - FDRu? First Downs Rushed? Everything else is fine.
Receiving - TPct? And what does it mean? Presume it's a percent.
Defence - PRpct? Again, a percent, Pass receptions? Tkpct? Tackle percentage, so how many made/missed tackles?
Pass Coverage - PDPct? Pass deflections percent? Caught I presume is catches allowed?
Blocking - KRO? Bpct? I presume is blocking percent? SPct? OPct?

As I have said, I presume a lot of the stats are percentages, but I couldn't even work out percentages of what. Example.

Charles Tillman is 34, but from what I can see, is having a pretty decent season.

Games played - 14
Tackles - 48
Int - 4
Defn - 5
Caught - 38
Passing Plays - 545
PDPct - 79.1

I've no idea if that PDpct is good or bad, that's the issue. I have a feeling it's going to be reasonable. It's the 87th best in the league, right now. No idea if it's a good idea to give him another contract or let him walk!

Can anyone explain what the stats are that I'm missing, listed above?
Can anyone explain how those stats are calculated and if a high/low number is better?
Can anyone provide any stats pointers for what is generally considered good/bad/average?

Thanks

As Rush said the majority of the questions are in the help file, just answering what it won't be in the help file.

Charles Tillman at 34 posting an average 79.1 PDPct (Pass defense percentage) it's not a good sign, he will more than likely drop in the next training camp, so you should let him walk, the fact that he is not even a good 3rd CB (84th at his position right now in that stats) should tell you that you should get a younger CB to occupy the Dime / Nickel formations and let him develop, in fact if he was a Mentor you are one year late already, as the young CB could have use his Mentor-ship to develop faster, but learn and move on.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want more help in who to keep, or normal averages for players...

I am also the Commissioner of the OSFL, so you are more than invited (with FOF8) to join us, we have a Rookie thread for all this kind of questions.

Welcome back to FOF!

Last edited by Sharkn20 : 03-19-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:49 PM   #4
Rumplebeanskin
n00b

Excellent stuff. I didn't know there was a help file, but I had found a PDF online that didn't help much and assumed that was what help there was. I'll check that out tomorrow.

Tillman is my #1 CB, ratings wise, though the roster is far from perfect. There's a reason the real life Panthers have spent a number of draft picks on CB since 2015

Thanks again
Old 03-26-2018, 02:57 AM   #5
Rumplebeanskin
n00b

Can someone point me in the direction of a draft thread that is still active please?

I've got a question on combine scores that don't seem to match up with scouted attributes so wondered where best to ask about that.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2018, 06:10 AM   #6
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

Quote:
Can someone point me in the direction of a draft thread that is still active please?

I've got a question on combine scores that don't seem to match up with scouted attributes so wondered where best to ask about that.

Thanks!

Feel free to ask here or send a PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:45 AM   #7
Rumplebeanskin
n00b

Thanks!

So, I am in FA1 on FOF7. I am looking at combine numbers and some things aren't making sense. I'll list out my thinking and you can point out where I am going wrong.
  • Player A is a linebacker, an inside linebacker in fact.
  • I am led to believe that punishing hit, pass rush strength and bump and run coverage all all 100% related to Bench score at the combine.
  • Player A has a bench score of 35, 5 more than the 2nd best guy at that position and one of only 2 players to receive a red score.
  • I am also led to believe that 35 is a VERY good score for an ILB at the bench press.
  • Looking at Player A's bars after I've interviewed him, his Pass rush strength is between 80-100, his Bump and Run is between 55-70 and his Punishing Hit is down at about 40-55.
  • I don't understand why his bars wouldn't correlate to his combine score in the bench, particularly punishing hit. I would have expected all 3 to be quite high?

Player A is below, in case it helps.

I'm sure the explanation is quite simple, and once I know what data can be relied on, and what can't, and also what to look out for that suggests data is or isn't accurate, I think I'll be fairly happy with drafting.

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-26-2018, 11:19 AM   #8
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

Quote:
Thanks!

So, I am in FA1 on FOF7. I am looking at combine numbers and some things aren't making sense. I'll list out my thinking and you can point out where I am going wrong.
  • Player A is a linebacker, an inside linebacker in fact.
  • I am led to believe that punishing hit, pass rush strength and bump and run coverage all all 100% related to Bench score at the combine.
  • Player A has a bench score of 35, 5 more than the 2nd best guy at that position and one of only 2 players to receive a red score.
  • I am also led to believe that 35 is a VERY good score for an ILB at the bench press.
  • Looking at Player A's bars after I've interviewed him, his Pass rush strength is between 80-100, his Bump and Run is between 55-70 and his Punishing Hit is down at about 40-55.
  • I don't understand why his bars wouldn't correlate to his combine score in the bench, particularly punishing hit. I would have expected all 3 to be quite high?

Player A is below, in case it helps.

I'm sure the explanation is quite simple, and once I know what data can be relied on, and what can't, and also what to look out for that suggests data is or isn't accurate, I think I'll be fairly happy with drafting.

Thanks for your help!

What is your combine correlation?
Old 03-26-2018, 11:53 AM   #9
Rumplebeanskin
n00b

I'm not sure I exactly understand what you're asking but for this guy, I would have expected his high bench score to correlate to a high punish hit, bump and run and also pass rush strength, and that isn't the case. Could it be that the Punish Hit bar is simply wrong?

Looking at his combine scores as a whole, I have him in the 80s I think, but I am very new to this.

My bench marks for ILBs are at least a 108 jump, no less than 18 bench, no less than 22 position score and no slower than a 7.4 agility.

His draft grade of 7.0 suggests he could well be 80+.

I am more just puzzled by his lower punish hit and bump and run bars, which I would have expected to be up there with his pass rush strength bar.

If you have some feedback on the rest of my analysis of this guy, let me know though.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:18 PM   #10
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

Quote:
I'm not sure I exactly understand what you're asking but for this guy, I would have expected his high bench score to correlate to a high punish hit, bump and run and also pass rush strength, and that isn't the case. Could it be that the Punish Hit bar is simply wrong?

Looking at his combine scores as a whole, I have him in the 80s I think, but I am very new to this.

My bench marks for ILBs are at least a 108 jump, no less than 18 bench, no less than 22 position score and no slower than a 7.4 agility.

His draft grade of 7.0 suggests he could well be 80+.

I am more just puzzled by his lower punish hit and bump and run bars, which I would have expected to be up there with his pass rush strength bar.

If you have some feedback on the rest of my analysis of this guy, let me know though.

To go into a conclusion of whether this player is going to be a beast, you have to see him fully developed, by his combines and bars, I would say he will be a beast, specially if you put him in the WLB in a 3-4 defense, a premium Pass rush position in FOF7, or a Monster blitzing the QB.

Go to controls --> options --> edit single-player options and look in Combine Accuracy, if it's 100 you don't have to worry about what the bars say now, he will develop as a monster. If they are lower then think about if that player is a combine warrior rather than a monster waiting to develop. How are your Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator in relation to Scouting and Interview?
Old 03-26-2018, 05:21 PM   #11
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
[*]Player A is a linebacker, an inside linebacker in fact.
[*]I am led to believe that punishing hit, pass rush strength and bump and run coverage all all 100% related to Bench score at the combine.
[*]Player A has a bench score of 35, 5 more than the 2nd best guy at that position and one of only 2 players to receive a red score.
[*]I am also led to believe that 35 is a VERY good score for an ILB at the bench press.
[*]Looking at Player A's bars after I've interviewed him, his Pass rush strength is between 80-100, his Bump and Run is between 55-70 and his Punishing Hit is down at about 40-55.
[*]I don't understand why his bars wouldn't correlate to his combine score in the bench, particularly punishing hit. I would have expected all 3 to be quite high?[/list]
The bench score (for a LB) is randomly generated, taking in account primarily the pass rush strength, combined with a bit of the punishing hitter bar and a tiny bit of the bump and run bar. So based on what your staff seems to see, it means the bench score probably fits with his skillset.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 03-26-2018 at 05:23 PM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 05:27 PM   #12
Rumplebeanskin
n00b

Right, so.....

Because of the high bench score (all being well, and I understand this is far from a perfect science) his bars "should" rise, even though bars I expect to be high aren't high just yet?

His high bench score is more showing his potential for high Punish Hit, Bump and Run and/or Pass Rush, even if his current bars aren't showing that right now?

Unfortunately I've got Kuechly at MLB right now, and Riverboat Ron runs a 4-3, but glad to see my Analysis of him probably wasn't that far off!
Old 03-26-2018, 05:30 PM   #13
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

Quote:
Right, so.....

Because of the high bench score (all being well, and I understand this is far from a perfect science) his bars "should" rise, even though bars I expect to be high aren't high just yet?

His high bench score is more showing his potential for high Punish Hit, Bump and Run and/or Pass Rush, even if his current bars aren't showing that right now?

Unfortunately I've got Kuechly at MLB right now, and Riverboat Ron runs a 4-3, but glad to see my Analysis of him probably wasn't that far off!

Buy FOF8!

You have this Thread also that can give you more insight.

FOF8 Reference Thread - Front Office Football Central
Old 03-26-2018, 05:53 PM   #14
Rumplebeanskin
n00b

Haha! I'll give it some consideration, but I'm mainly playing FOF7 because I've already purchased it. I think my meagre budget will most likely be spent on the project being worked on with the OOTP guys, and I'll just dip I and out of FOF7 until then.

Thanks for all the pointers!
Old 03-27-2018, 12:01 PM   #15
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Right, so.....

Not really, my point was that your scout's assessment of the bars could be spot on. 80+ pass rush strength alone will make your LB have a very high bench press score.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote