Coordinator

I feel bad for me 4 years ago

Aiden had an incredibly long day:

Weight lifting at 6:45
School 8:00-3:15
School practice 3:30-6:15
Dodgers travel ball practice 6:30-8:30

I missed his dodgers practice

When he got home instead of being tired he was amped up because his team played against the varsity head coaches 13u travel team and Aiden was on fire. Singles, a double off of the fence, a diving catch in CF, solid at first

He couldn’t wait to tell me so that was cool

But

I told him I didn’t want this kind of day often while the wife chirped about him having to go if he knows he’s missing the weekend dodgers practice. I don’t really care. If he misses he misses and I’ll make sure I put enough pressure when necessary so that he doesn’t have days like this but maybe one more time this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 01-31-2024 at 09:46 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 06:17 PM   #252
Flasch186
Coordinator

Aiden is the dumbest smart kid around

They had their second scrimmage today and all game long, 6 innings, every at bat started with a 1-1 count to accelerate the abs.

Jv gets to bat in the 6-7th

Aiden gets his ONE ab against a varsity pitcher who’s going to dial it down.

Aiden takes a great hack at the first pitch for a swinging strike. Then he takes the next strike and stands there awaiting his next pitch and they inform him that that’s it… You struck out and he looks a bit flummoxed before walking back to the dug out (at least without pouting)

I mean wtf

Get your head out of your ass dude

He does shit like this ask of the time like he’s just head in the clouds. Drives me crazy especially when he’s already screwed up lately.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 02-05-2024, 09:29 PM   #253
Flasch186
Coordinator

Aiden finally might see some light at the end of the tunnel but only after giving more flesh.

This past winter Aiden earned himself a Wednesday work day (which is basically to pick up trash after school) for forgetting his dress shirt on dress up day. The problem was that when he was confronted about it he tried to make light of it in the hopes of skating by… he didn’t and they took it as disrespect although he says that wasn’t his intention but instead to lighten the mood so he’d get in less trouble.

Then the school schedule never worked out and the day he was scheduled it he missed school for the double flu. When he got back he reminded the Dean that he missed the Wednesday work day. By being honest the Dean told us that he was waiving it.

Fast forward to the dick drawing episode and the Dean reinstated the Wednesday work day. Feels arbitrary but Aiden bright it on himself and I have no leverage to argue and neither does he.

Where it gets worse is that this Wednesday is a scrimmage and he will have to miss it for the Wednesday work day. He’s going to let his coach know tomorrow but it’s pretty evident he’s still in the dog house. This won’t help but hopefully he can do what I told him to which is to approach the coach after history class and talk to him about the past event that earned the work day, the present and the future with contrition respect and promise. In other words to use the moment to clear the air with the coach and lay the words out there that he’ll follow and pray that it is well received.

He seems to not be broken inside by this except for two days where I thought he literally may lose his passion for the school and coaches and baseball in some sort of depressed glaze but he seems to have gotten it back.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 02-05-2024 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-07-2024, 05:04 AM   #254
Flasch186
Coordinator

He tells me he spoke to his coaches and they’re all on board with getting this over with and moving on. Seems like it cleared the air some according to him. Hopefully this can be the end of the stupidity chapter if his life for a while.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 02-07-2024, 03:33 PM   #255
Flasch186
Coordinator

Deleted

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 02-08-2024 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-10-2024, 11:32 AM   #256
Flasch186
Coordinator

Scout city at Aiden’s school today watching this pitcher

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 02-13-2024, 03:38 PM   #257
Flasch186
Coordinator

Living a little dream of mine doing sports pbp and announcing

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 02-21-2024, 09:27 PM   #258
Flasch186
Coordinator

Aiden did good on the mound tonight in HS JV as an 8th grader

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 02-27-2024, 11:38 AM   #259
Flasch186
Coordinator

Aiden got on the bump again for hs jv and did well

2ip 0h 0er 2bb 1k

It’s a shower left have pitch right now that illicits weak contract but it’s not sustainable so we’ll be starting pitching lessons in the summer to get right there

Inconsistent at the plate still. When he’s on, like his first ab, he can hit. First pitch fastball and he laced a base hit

Third ab he was in his heels and struck out without a chance

He knees what he needs to do though and says it to be in the way to the car without me even bringing it up

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 02-27-2024, 11:42 AM   #260
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I always check when there's an update in this thread and have enjoyed reading about Aiden's progress over the years FWIW.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 03:25 PM   #261
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Same - keep it up, Flasch!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 05:23 PM   #262
Flasch186
Coordinator

Thanks guys

It’s been fun

Hopefully the train goes through high school

Then who knows but having baseball be a part of his high school experience is teaching him a ton about life as well as the enjoyment of the game.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 03-10-2024, 08:25 PM   #263
Flasch186
Coordinator

Weird couple of weeks for Aiden and I hope it’s just the throes of old into something new.

Friday night for JV he was defeated before he even batted against a 10th grade submariner. Aiden was a mess and completely defeated. The old Aiden.

So I texted him some harsh stuff:

“You think I dad you and don’t tell you the truth?

Fine

You were miles off of the plate again
They saw it, so they set up outside and pitched you there. Were they all strikes? No but you had set yourself up in a way that you had zero chance to get a hit and 100% chance of losing all of your confidence.

So again, not physical stuff

Mental

YOU NEED TO WANT TO FIGHT AGAINST YOUR FEARS AND SCORES SO YOU HAVE A REMOTE CHANCE OF
SUCCESS

or

Don’t

If you enjoy feeling like this, keep doing the same thing

No changes absolutely equals same results”

And

“The longer you refuse to get on the plate and swing hard the longer you’re going to suffer without actually giving yourself a chance.

No one can make you do it except yourself. Or just do that

Get on the plate and swing hard

You won’t have to reach anymore
Therefore you’ll have a faster tighter swing

Literally that

Get on the plate

When you do, factually, you hit well

When you don’t you don’t

And then you get to sit in the feelings both good or bad

You seem to like a category of feeling that is odd to me”

He answered with “I try.”

And I responded with:

“I’m sorry

You are lying to yourself when say you try when you just have to put your toes on the line (or just an inch or two off) by literally looking down before every pitch?

You get fearful and stand too far away and therefore while you minimize your chances of getting hit you minimize your chances of getting a hit.

Just look down and get closer closer closer

Give yourself a chance

You’re upset saying you suck when you literally aren’t doing the mental set up

No need to respond to me. I don’t want to go back and forth. You can watch your ABs if you want.

It’s up to you to fight for your goals and happiness.

That night I ended with:

“My piece of advice for tomorrow:

Get your f’n toes on the line

The hinge can’t fix anything when you’re 10” off of the line which means your 16” from the edge of the plate and 33” from the outside of the plate

AND open the front gate

So just get the funk on the line and give yourself a chance no matter how scared you are

Or don’t and continue to slump and have regret and beat yourself up cuz that feels good”

I don’t know what the variables are any more but then this weekend he was on fire. Batted .600 culminating in him hitting a 76mph fastball back through a pitchers face (not literally) for a hit instead being scared he did exactly what I said he needed to do for himself. Maybe it’ll stick maybe it won’t. I dunno but if he would just fight for himself maybe there’d be a chance to reach his potential but if not then he won’t obviously.

He pitched well as well. No earned runs.

This travel ball team is not a good team though and I’m thankful that school ball has replaced the drama of travel ball. The school team is where he needs to grind and earn it and he’ll get that education if he never plays baseball being high school. The travel ball circuit isn’t for us beyond this local stuff and to be fair Aiden’s not good enough for that mercenary type of elite national baseball anyways.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 03-14-2024, 06:54 AM   #264
Flasch186
Coordinator

So he played in a game Monday and was a mental wreck. Just old 11u Aiden so at home his mother gave it to him in person.

Then last night he played, started on the mound and was awesome. His bat was cold but he attacked, made contact, moved runners and looked like an athlete again.

His pitching was great.

Pitched 5 innings with a 68% strike ratio, gave up only 3er as well so that helps removed some of the tarnish he loves to showcase from Monday.

I just don’t get it

I don’t understand how to get him to commit to an aggressive attack mentality for two hours at a time.

Smh

Is probably his age and the fact that he’s an 8th grader playing a decently high level of HS JV baseball against kids 2-3 years older than him but my point to him is,

“Look, you’re going to usually get out anyways. Wouldn’t you rather get out and have no regrets then get out and be upset and regretful because you were a pussy?”

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 03-14-2024, 07:01 PM   #265
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
I don’t understand how to get him to commit to an aggressive attack mentality for two hours at a time.

Feed him raw meat? I got nothing.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 05:46 AM   #266
Flasch186
Coordinator

Aiden’s back to the games at the plate and is very late. His hitting coach watched his abs last night she told me after the game that, “his timing is incredibly off but it’s an easy fix.” The problem is he’s so busy and Aiden’s so busy that we can’t get lessons for a while so it’s up to Aiden to try to get back on time.

Luckily Aiden’s pitching great so that helps.

He went 6ip yesterday and only 2 earned runs. The defense has helped but he throws it so slow (which is not sustainable long run) he gets a ton of weak contact. As long as his defense is true it’s pretty incredible. Over 18 innings this season he has a 1.2 whip and 2.0 era. His ip avg is 13.2.

The incredible thing (not in a good way) with Aiden right now is he’s now playing in fear overall. What I mean is that Aiden tops out at 67…. Last night 62. (10% less) also at the plate he’s only looking like he’s giving 85-90%. Same with pitching.

He’s been training for so long to hit especially and certainly has some training pitching but he just won’t put it all together and let it go, giving it his all without regret.

Very frustrating to watch and so unnecessary.

Sometimes you’d think it was a kid taking a game off but I know better. He’s just trying to be perfect which is making him slower and thoughtful.

Oh well

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 03-20-2024 at 05:47 AM.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:48 PM   #267
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post

Sometimes you'd think it was a kid taking a game off but I know better. He's just trying to be perfect which is making him slower and thoughtful.

Oh well

I'm going to ask a question that, honestly, I'm not entirely sure how to phrase. Please just know that what I'm trying to ask isn't meant as any sort of ... insult, or anything of the sort. I'm just trying to sort out your description & what it has rattling around in my head.

He's been coached, and coached well best I can tell from the tales of his journey ... but what are his instincts like? His baseball, or even simply athletic, instincts I mean?

I read that "trying to be perfect ... making him slower and thoughtful" and my first reaction was "okay, so he's trying to be too 'fine'" And then I thought about that some more.

Where does the element of "trying to fit in all the pieces he's learned" meet with "doing anything that comes naturally"? What's left in his swing, or his delivery, that's just ... natural? That flows without needing to think?

Could he just be hitting a (temporary) limit on how much can be done that requires thought as opposed to coming naturally?

Again, apologies if I didn't phrase this well. It's not criticism in any manner way shape or form, I'm just trying to work through to a notion about what might be serving as a roadblock at the moment.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:02 PM   #268
Flasch186
Coordinator

I feel bad for me 4 years ago * turned into updates on my son's baseball

So to answer this I’ll first couch this with, I’m his dad so….

He’s the most or second most athletic kid in his class

However

He’s likely one of the most cerebral though and that’s a big part of the problem imo

So

At this school, he just has imposter syndrome I think and thus is trying to be perfect/live up to the expectations he thinks they have of him instead of just being loose and aggressive

He’s just leveled up year after year or every other year and every time it’s the same bs

Last time it was adjusted by a physical change wherein he shaved his head…

Tonight he came home and shaved his head so we’ll see what tomorrow brings

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 03-26-2024 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:38 PM   #269
Flasch186
Coordinator

Got pretty bad tonight

Same thing

Too far from the plate so a weak grounder to ss

He said things like I can’t, I’m trying, etc but he’s really in the dumps now and unfortunately the literal fix is to get closer to the plate:

Slow swing because it’s reaching and long
Long swing because he’s too far away
Weak swing because he’s too far away

But he just won’t put his damn toes on the line and adjust from there

Ah well

Truly I think of this season, other than figuring it some pitching, as a complete waste and a narrative I would never want to put in front of coaches that have him for 5 years.

Not sure that I can do anything to help him without him actually fighting for it versus just expressing negative energy and I cant’s.

Part of me even thinks it’s to get attention (negative attention) as fucked yup as that is

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 03-27-2024, 07:49 AM   #270
Flasch186
Coordinator

School tweeted this last night but he’s so melancholy at the moment that sharing it with him will likely illicit a negative response

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 03-27-2024, 02:00 PM   #271
Flasch186
Coordinator

He texted an apology for getting upset and seems to be back to normal

This roller coaster sucks

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 04-02-2024, 06:51 PM   #272
Flasch186
Coordinator

Another solid outing for Aiden on the mound

Buys him time to get the hitting right after the seasons over and into the summer/fall. Just sucks that it’s a wasted season at the plate (again). In the above game he didn’t hit as that DHd for him. He’s happy cuz he pitched well.

If he starts to complain about not hitting I’m going to side eye jim and mention that he spent almost the entire season fighting to get close enough to the plate to have a fighting chance. What’s a coach supposed to do with him or anyone else who’s doing what he did?

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 04-03-2024, 09:05 AM   #273
Flasch186
Coordinator

This tweet I found from 3/19

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 04-03-2024 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:06 AM   #274
Flasch186
Coordinator

This one from last night

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 04-12-2024, 08:49 AM   #275
Flasch186
Coordinator

If you’re interested in good baseball, the varsity team of Aiden’s school odd playing the number one team in the nation at ten today up in Cary nc

https://web.gc.com/teams/RjSWPNxYcJu...c-c62026dd96e4

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 04-12-2024, 08:22 PM   #276
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I just picked up this thread on the last page, so I'm sorry if it has been answered. Just curious if Aiden plays any other sports?
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 08:47 PM   #277
Flasch186
Coordinator

He plays pickup basketball now that he’s outgrown the middle school basketball team and isn’t good enough to play the hs ball at his school.

He unfortunately gets so frustrated when he’s not good at something that I just don’t see him enjoying playing other sports competitively when he’s behind the curve at his age on them.

For example

We went to top golf and he was bad at hitting the ball and was miserable. Instead of just having fun he was frustrated almost the whole night until the kids all started playing tag in the play area they have at the one we visited.

Being gifted he also has perfectionism issues and we actually are constantly pounding into him that we don’t want perfection. It seems like saying it to him has the opposite effect. I literally tell him I want him to fail and it just doesn’t seem to lessen the way he beats up on himself.

He had a first time hitting lesson with another coach at the school today and when we got there the coach led with:

Your swing in the cage and approach in the cage is totally different in games and at the plate. He said we’re going to get you right so youre consistent.

Then I went and sat in the car.

When it was over the coach wrapped it up with me away from Aiden and confirmed:

Its his head
He doesn’t trust himself in his timing
Therefore he’s lunging/early and then retreats back to slow things down in the swing versus
Trusting his hands and letting the ball get to his hitting zones
He’s super confused at the plate trying to figure it out
He can fix it with confidence and lessons with him
He’ll get his approach right
He’ll get his self talk right
And he’ll get his swing back and right

Aiden recapped some things to me in the car when I asked him if he liked the coach

He said something about a hitting triangle: front leg, back hip, hands
Patience
Said he liked him

We’ll use him and the assistant varsity coach since ones better with the mental and ones more connected with the varsity program

👍

Season ends next week and then we get to tone it down and go into off season mode until it’s summer stuff.

Had lunch with a friend of the hc of the program, the guy who has ended up being my color guy in the booth who’s done the pa and music for years. He said he was golfing with the head guy and Aiden’s name came up and the guys high on him, especially his pitching was talked about.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 04-12-2024 at 09:09 PM.