Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-23-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Whatever you do, never fly with me

I don't fly frequently, maybe once or twice a year max. But I appear to be a completely magnet for air travel nightmares.

Last trip in April I ended up on two wacky connect flight nightmares that pretty much turned a trip from Missouri to Ohio into an 8-hour debacle. On the return back, there were winds around the airport and we circled for about 90 minutes, make it four attempts to land before pulling out at the last minute. Once we could pretty much put our feet on the ground. We all were nearly sick by the end, and the pilot appologize to us for the trip.

Wednesday I'm heading to New York and I was running a few minutes behind. I was at check-in 40 minutes before my flight, which in KC is no big deal because it usually takes you no more than 10 minutes from the front door to gate with check-in so it took longer than normal, and the flunkies at the gate decided to close the door 20 minutes early, so was delayed three hours for the next flight. I was pushed back to a 6:45 flight.

That flight spent 80 minutes on the ground before we finally took off. Once we got to NYC, they sent us to JFK instead of Laguardia because of weather and our fuel status. Then the weather cleared and we stopped circling JFK and went back to Laguardia. Our 3 hour flight took almost 6 hours.

I'm heading home and have a 7:55 flight to KC, which was delayed to 8:41. Then 9:30. Then 10:45 (changing gates to other end of terminal). Then 12:34. Now 1:11 am. I have very little faith in that time slot either.

There are pigeons flying over head and there's a phone at the Delta counter ringing non-stop. I want to go over and answer it just so it will stop ringing.

So ... any good hotels near the airport for when this thing finally gets cancelled?

Last edited by kcchief19 : 07-23-2010 at 09:00 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well, if you are heading to Detroit sometime in the next 4 days it's a reasonable chance that I will be working it. In fact, I'll be there (KC) on Monday night. I'll take care of you. I hate days like that. Sounds like you have had too many of them.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 07-23-2010 at 09:47 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
JPhillips
General Manager

I LOVE the trippy tunnel in the Detroit airport.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Me too, I want one in my basement. You know you have been to Detroit too much when you know all of the songs that they play in the tunnel.

Like Steam?

Old 07-24-2010, 12:11 AM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Would the godfather of soul please come to the white courtesy phone.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The trippy tunnel is freakin' awesome. As fas navigating the airport and aesthetics, Detroit might be my favorite airport I've ever been in. I still like the convenience of the KC airport as far as getting in and out but I really liked the Detroit airport. I don't need a Gap or Bobby Flay's Grill, just get me to point A to point B.

That said, I had time for a hamburger at the Guinness pub next to my gate and it was the best airport food I've ever had. That was after having the worst meal of my life at JFK.

It only took me 28 hours after I get in the cab at Columbus Circle to get home. I had to take a nap in the car in St. Joe, Mo. -- I was so sleep deprived I imagined that Kyle Davies beat the Yankees in New York. Unlikely.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:43 PM   #7
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well I saw way more of the Detroit airport than I wanted today. My day was supposed to be over at 430p on my "short" day, but I didn't leave for the hotel until 1130p, only to go to the hotel. What a mess. In fact, since you posted this thread, my days have been terrible between maintenance and scheduling problems with crew. I blame you, kc.

Like Steam?

Old 07-26-2010, 05:32 AM   #8
Nugget699
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm flying out for an 8 week holiday starting Monday and I'm shitting bricks. I hate flying, hate, hate, hate.

I'm always convinced the plane is going to crash haha.
Nugget699 is offline   Reply With Quote