Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-14-2018, 11:13 AM   #1151
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I know you dont care what I think. But you are the one poster on here that I have ever come close to blocking. Every discussion to you is proof of racism. Every offense or grievance is somehow racially related. Im not even sure of your race, nor does it matter.But it is a consistent theme of a dog whistle for you. Everything you oppose is racist.

I simply pointed out that the NRA never misses an opportunity to jump on a news story to defend gun owners and their rights. Whether it's about carry laws, stand your ground, or other issues. They are aggressive in their tone against government officials and people who oppose their stance.

But they get eerily silent when those rights are those of a black person that are being trampled on. It gives the impression that it's an organization that
supports gun rights for white people only. And given their history on issues such as the Mulford Act, it seems that stance has been consistent through time. But maybe it's not about race and you have an explanation for why such a vocal organization goes radio silent when it comes to these cases?

I think talking more about race is simply a sign of where politics are. The ruling party and President ran on a platform largely centered around racial politics. Heck, the President's rise to political fame started with his relentless pushing of the birther conspiracy. Since then he's called neo-nazis "very fine people". Filled his administration with a number of openly racist individuals. Just a couple weeks ago he put out an ad that even Fox News said was too racist to air on their network. I guarantee you if Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio had won the election, we probably wouldn't be talking much about race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'm so old I remember when Rainmaker was a right-leaning libertarian.

I still am in some ways (although not really a big libertarian). Believe in free trade, personal freedoms, and think the national debt is an abomination that we are going to burden our children with. Probably more law and order than most and believe in tighter immigration controls. Also don't think government should be picking winners and losers in business (see Amazon's giant government handout). But the right isn't really for much of that stuff anymore so I don't really know where I'd fall on the political spectrum.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:32 AM   #1152
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I would think the barrier to poor people owning guns would more be the cost of the gun itself.

Exactly, if I can afford to drop 450 on a Taurus Judge I can afford the permit.

Plus the cost can be more in line with a drivers license or less. A gun license, if required of everyone wishing to purchase a gun should be about ensuring guns are tracked and in the possession of law abiding citizens, not used as a revenue generator.

Also not out of the realm of possibility to have discounts for folks below a certain income level if this was a government licensing program. Hell, folks on food stamps pay $60 less for their medical marijuana certification than I do in my state.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #1153
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

But they get eerily silent when those rights are those of a black person that are being trampled on. It gives the impression that it's an organization that
supports gun rights for white people only. And given their history on issues such as the Mulford Act, it seems that stance has been consistent through time. But maybe it's not about race and you have an explanation for why such a vocal organization goes radio silent when it comes to these cases?

He has a great point here. Think about it, if Philando Castille was white you don't think the NRA would have created an uproar over a person with legal CC permit, who was complying with law enforcement and doing the right thing being gunned down? Barely a whimper as it was though.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #1154
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
But there's only certain kinds of racism that seem to "count". I think that's where it gets frustrating and exhausting for people. White people putting themselves on a pedestal and recognizing "other" white people as the real problem. They're really good at pointing out and accusing certain groups of being racists - gun owners, police, prosecutors, religious people, people who live in rural areas, conservatives. But we know that racial discrimination permeates many other parts of society in America. The numbers bear that out across almost all parts of American life. And yet liberal white people with good jobs, nice houses, kids in private schools, etc, somehow don't see themselves as part of the problem but are instead in a position to be racial patriots and judge white people whom they deem to be inferior.

I think accusing people of being racists - especially when the accusations based on membership in some unfavorable group that is the "real" problem, can be a way of protecting their own white privilege. I see this in my super-liberal wealthy white friends all the time. They love to downplay their wealth and portray themselves as like angsty youthful progressives who oppose injustice in society, who love to identify what's wrong with America and whose fault it is - and then I see their houses....And a lot of them have lives where no racial prejudices would ever emerge even if they existed - they work with white people, have white neighbors, and they never have to make a decision or take an action that would reveal prejudice if it were there - like a police officer, teacher, or social worker constantly have to do. It's a nice safe white bubble.

You can be wealthy and progressive, but I'm just saying the view is different when you've been a part of one of the white sub-groups that is portrayed as broadly racist by "the good white people" who are a part of the more protected class of white people who have the luxury of being judged individually. Those who can benefit from white privilege but never actually be called out on it.

Edit: So the white liberals who never have to defend their white privilege can - 1. attacks others as the "real problem", or 2. have the correct political opinions and donate money to campaigns. #2 can at least be productive. But #1 can cross a line, IMO. Both in terms of being unfair, and being annoyingly tone-def about their own contributions to, and benefits from, racial injustice in the U.S.

I agree with this. I live around a lot of NIMBYs (which I even fall into at times). A lot of parents who speak like they're the beacon of progressive thought but refuse to send their kids to the public school.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #1155
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
He has a great point here. Think about it, if Philando Castille was white you don't think the NRA would have created an uproar over a person with legal CC permit, who was complying with law enforcement and doing the right thing being gunned down? Barely a whimper as it was though.

Does the NRA generally criticize local law enforcement? Politically, that doesn't really seem like its in their lane. They're generally very pro-police as that plays to well to their base.

My quick Google search only shows examples of them not liking when law enforcement agencies are outspoken about supporting gun control.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:05 PM   #1156
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Exactly, if I can afford to drop 450 on a Taurus Judge I can afford the permit.

Plus the cost can be more in line with a drivers license or less. A gun license, if required of everyone wishing to purchase a gun should be about ensuring guns are tracked and in the possession of law abiding citizens, not used as a revenue generator.

Also not out of the realm of possibility to have discounts for folks below a certain income level if this was a government licensing program. Hell, folks on food stamps pay $60 less for their medical marijuana certification than I do in my state.

In the story linked in Mass it costs $100 for a gun purchase license. If you are poor and feel the need to protect yourself, you arent buying a judge. We both know that. Maybe a Hi-Point or Cobra...in a 380 caliber is under $100. The permit costs more than the gun.

Last week I bought a Colt CQB...in that class Im not worried about a $100 permit.

I'm not against a purchase permit, with certain caveats, but my bigger point was some of the same folks in this thread called it racist and elitist when my state required a state ID to vote, an ID that they would give for free and provide public transportation to acquire, because it caused the poor people to take off work or fill out forms.

The right to bear arms is equally protected as the right to vote. I just dont understand how you can say one is oppressive and the other is perfectly fine while also maintaining that you have no intent of hindering or deterring legal ownership.

I disagree with the NRA on a lot of stuff. Im not a flag waiver there. I am a former member, not current for a reason.

My point was more about RM as a whole just throwing the racist argument out.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 11-14-2018 at 12:07 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:41 PM   #1157
Butter
Coordinator

Just because there is a right to vote and a right to bear arms doesn't mean that the right is unfettered and not subject to regulation. The government does not have a responsibility to go around handing out guns.

There is an amendment that specifically dealt with more broadly clarifying the right to vote, the 24th Amendment:

"The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax."

The argument is whether or not requiring people to pay for an ID constitutes a poll tax. I think so far, that has not been the finding.

However, there is no such law on the books for guns. So theoretically they could make it prohibitively expensive to obtain a license if they really wanted.

Because of that, I would not say that the right to vote and the right to bear arms are equally protected. The right to vote has specifically been exempted from taxation. The right to bear arms has not.

Last edited by Butter : 11-14-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:58 PM   #1158
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
However, there is no such law on the books for guns. So theoretically they could make it prohibitively expensive to obtain a license if they really wanted.

Because of that, I would not say that the right to vote and the right to bear arms are equally protected. The right to vote has specifically been exempted from taxation. The right to bear arms has not.

Then we get into the definition of infringed....
Old 11-14-2018, 01:07 PM   #1159
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Militia as well then
Old 11-14-2018, 01:20 PM   #1160
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Regulated.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:45 PM   #1161
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

This is exactly what my dad and I were discussing a couple of nights ago.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #1162
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But there's only certain kinds of racism that seem to "count". I think that's where it gets frustrating and exhausting for people. White people putting themselves on a pedestal and recognizing "other" white people as the real problem. They're really good at pointing out and accusing certain groups of being racists - gun owners, police, prosecutors, religious people, people who live in rural areas, conservatives. But we know that racial discrimination permeates many other parts of society in America. The numbers bear that out across almost all parts of American life. And yet liberal white people with good jobs, nice houses, kids in private schools, etc, somehow don't see themselves as part of the problem but are instead in a position to be racial patriots and judge white people whom they deem to be inferior.

Only if you look at it as white liberals putting themselves on a pedestal, which btw is one way white conservatives can put themselves on a pedestal, by decrying calls for change as "virtue signaling" and being dismissive of those who do it. There are quite a bit of people of color who are decrying these things. A lot of this conversation happened when black folks started marching after police shootings. A lot of this conversation about racism and the NRA started when black folks, said HEY, where are they when Philando Castile gets shot? Some white folks then said, hey let's listen to our black brothers and sisters and call this shit out. Not that people of color don't point towards the safe white moderate - Dr. King called them out in the 60s. But it seems like talking about it like white liberals putting themselves on a pedestal is another way to simply pooh-pooh what is being uncovered, especially when a lot of these white folks have the trust of black people who are agitating for reforms.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #1163
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche
Militia as well then

Which literally meant 'every able-bodied adult' at the time it was written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421
Regulated.

Best modern corollary here is 'organized'. As a demonstration, it should certainly suffice to note that you'll not find in the 18th century any governmental approach vaguely resembling modern regulation.

This is the part where I note that I'm in favor of the 2nd Amendment being revised based on it being archaic, and it certainly can have limitations placed on it(even Heller said as much). The suggested prohibitively-expensive license would definitely violate the spirit of 'shall not be infringed' under any sensible definition.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 11-14-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #1164
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, I wasn't really suggesting that as a sensible course of action. There is probably a point at which a license fee would be considered infringement. That is likely for the courts to decide if it ever got "prohibitively" expensive.

But the point given was that a license fee is on the order of a voter ID law, which I disagree with. Reasonable licensing fees can not be considered a real barrier to gun ownership when most guns already cost over $100.

Also, there is a reason that most states that have a strict voter ID law are in red states and that most that aren't are in blue states. One makes it easier to vote, one makes it harder. Who's trying to make it harder to vote? And why?

But that's not what this thread is about.

Last edited by Butter : 11-14-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:51 PM   #1165
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Does the NRA generally criticize local law enforcement? Politically, that doesn't really seem like its in their lane. They're generally very pro-police as that plays to well to their base.

My quick Google search only shows examples of them not liking when law enforcement agencies are outspoken about supporting gun control.

They recently blamed the Parkland shooting on police. Most laws the NRA opposes like uniform background checks, restrictions on interstate transfer, and open/concealed carry are heavily opposed by local law enforcement. The NRA fought for to keep "cop killer" bullets legal despite heavy opposition from police.

Then you have the 90's which their marketing strategy largely centered around being anti-government. There was frequent talks about how a war had started. They portrayed law enforcement wearing Nazi helmets and stormtrooper uniforms in ads. LaPierre had some famous quotes about law enforcement too:

Quote:
The semiauto-auto ban gives jack-booted government thugs more power to take away our constitutional rights, break in our doors, seize our guns, destroy our property, and even injure or kill us.
Quote:
If you have a badge you have the government’s go-ahead to harass, intimidate, even murder law-abiding citizens.

Shortly after that, former NRA member Timothy McVeigh went on to blow up the Murrah building. I believe right after that is when George HW Bush famously tore up his NRA card (one of those "jack-booted Nazi thugs" that were blown up was one of Bush's friends).

They definitely do put on a good face in support of law enforcement while opposing them from a legislative and philosophical front. Like you said, they know that some bootlicking is needed to placate a base that's all about it.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:41 PM   #1166
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I have yet to see a single proposal or group of proposals that I've seen any credible evidence or logic to think would make significant dent in this issue and, at the same time, doesn't flagrantly violate the 2nd Amendment(such as, for example, a blanket handgun ban). That's true whether you are talking short or decades long-term as some have referenced. If there is such a proposal out there, I'd be totally in favor of it.

I also think that the debate around this blows things out of proportion and is the lastest headline distraction du jour. This will probably be taken as being horribly insensitive by a good many people but I still think it needs to be said - there are so many things that people die of needlessly in astronomically greater numbers than mass shootings, but which don't get a fraction of the attention. I do hope and pray that we make progress on this front - but relatively speaking, it's not deserving of a fraction of the rhetoric that gets spent on it.

I thought there were some studies showing that individual states that have implemented some gun control legislation have seen a reduction in gun deaths, especially in the form o suicides? Chicago/Illinois is a weird case because Chicago is right on the indiana border where it’s extremely easy to obtain a gun. Still on mobile and traveling so hard to look up more.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:47 PM   #1167
Radii
Head Coach

https://www.businessinsider.com/scie...t-works-2018-2
Old 11-14-2018, 09:22 PM   #1168
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I thought there were some studies showing that individual states that have implemented some gun control legislation have seen a reduction in gun deaths, especially in the form o suicides? Chicago/Illinois is a weird case because Chicago is right on the indiana border where it’s extremely easy to obtain a gun. Still on mobile and traveling so hard to look up more.

This is a good article to show where the guns come from.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.35098ba045b8

As for stopping it, it's tough. There is really no laws to stop straw purchases and drug running at the federal level. If you catch someone, it's a minor fine even if they're running tons of guns. There have been efforts to beef up the punishment for that, but it's been shot down by NRA backed politicians.

Then you just have the feds refusing to enforce the existing laws. For instance, falsifying information to buy a gun is a felony. But the federal government simply doesn't care.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:10 PM   #1169
Edward64
Head Coach

I have no idea how I screwed it up!
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:11 PM   #1170
RainMaker
General Manager

Mass shooting at a Chicago hospital. One nurse dead and a cop that looks like he might not make it.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:40 AM   #1171
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Mass shooting at a Chicago hospital. One nurse dead and a cop that looks like he might not make it.

Just regular ole domestic violence. Nothing to see here.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #1172
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I have no idea how I screwed it up!

I tried posting below and link when I messed up the thread. So I'm just going to post the text and not a direct link.

Its an interesting thought re: gun control. The author concludes it won't work but I do wonder if it would help/prod along some additional gun control.

www.theroot.com
Quote:
... some have theorized that one way to force gun control is to pit the intersecting groups in the Venn diagram of conservatism against each other. The argument is, if black people started purchasing firearms in bulk, conservative racists (or is it “racist conservatives”? I get confused sometimes) might get so outraged at the thought of gun-toting Negroes that racism might overwhelm their natural predilection for firearms and cause them to support gun-reform laws.
:
The argument is not without merit. I’ve even said it before. White men have always been afraid of armed black people. The 14th Amendment, which guarantees equal protection under the law, was passed, in part, because during Reconstruction, the South was inundated with newly formed groups dedicated to disarming blacks. The most famous of these organizations was a fraternity of men who called themselves the Ku Klux Klan.
:
This makes the math seem simple: If black people arm themselves, America always figures out a way to disarm them through legislation. While no one doubts the strength of the American brand of racism, the theoretical use of America’s anti-black sentiment as a legislative, race-based Jedi mind trick ignores an important reality: It won’t work.
:
Although the prevailing narrative would have you believe that gun owners are against gun reform, they are not. There is only one entity preventing legislative gun reform, and it is not Republicans, white people or even gun owners.

It is the National Rifle Association.
:
Because of this, the NRA is not beholden to its rank and file. It has become the lobbying wing of the gun industry, and there is only one thing stronger than racism in America:

Greed.

The prospect of black people armed to the teeth is actually a good thing for the NRA because it is the de facto supplier of America’s addiction.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:31 PM   #1173
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Wife just called me. The officer that was shot played the organ at the church of a woman who works for her. Same woman whose brother was shot and killed at a club 2 years ago as an innocent bystander. This woman is one of the sweetest people you will meet. I’m sure thoughts and prayers will suffice. Thank god we protect the second amendment at all costs so people can honor a document several hundred years old where a tyrannical government was actually a concern.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:56 PM   #1174
RainMaker
General Manager

3 dead plus the gunmen. A 28 year old cop with 3 kids. A 25 year old pharmacy assistant just out of college who was engaged to be married. And a doctor who was the ex-fiance of the gunman. It appears cops being in the area stopped this from being even worse than it was.

Of course, the guy had a history of abuse toward women. The most common theme in all these mass shootings is abuse of women.

Another cop on the scene was almost a victim too. The bullet lodged into the gun in his holster. Remarkable.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:37 PM   #1175
QuikSand
lolzcat

Walter Reed
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:24 PM   #1176
Thomkal
Head Coach

Looks like the Walter Reed shooting was an emergency drill
Old 11-27-2018, 02:25 PM   #1177
RainMaker
General Manager

Thankfully it sounds like it was just an exercise.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:30 PM   #1178
QuikSand
lolzcat

A friend was in a meeting there, and got called to stay in a secure area with 40 other people (his tweet got the chatter rolling). A family member was on lockdown from her office in Building 1, right next to 19.

It does look like it was a botched drill, thankfully.

Last edited by QuikSand : 11-27-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:41 AM   #1179
PilotMan
Head Coach

But probably not Cam.

Layoffs hit NRATV after gun-rights group loses $55M in revenue | TheHill

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #1180
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I hope not. His wife is fighting cancer right now.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:57 PM   #1181
Edward64
Head Coach

I will still give the benefit of doubt to the cop and wait to see the official report but 3 times from behind is pretty bad.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...pect-s-n944346
Quote:
Brown, 20, who was arrested last week, is charged with attempted murder in the shooting of an 18-year-old, who was injured, at the mall on Thanksgiving night.

In the incident, police fatally shot another man, Emantic “E.J.” Fitzgerald Bradford Jr., 21, whom they believed at the time was the gunman.

An independent autopsy released by the lawyer for Bradford's family showed he was struck three times from behind — in the head, neck and back.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:05 PM   #1182
PilotMan
Head Coach

In the meantime, this story slipped through the cracks today.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...police-n947571

Quote:
Police and school officials were notified that an armed person was heading to the school with the intention of hurting people, Richmond Police Chief Jim Branum told the Palladium-Item. The shooting occurred around 8:20 a.m.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:22 PM   #1183
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I have several relatives who live in that town.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:58 PM   #1184
RainMaker
General Manager

Thorough breakdown of the Parkland shooting. Worth a read.

404 Not Found
Old 12-31-2018, 05:49 PM   #1185
Edward64
Head Coach

Restaurant employees did a great thing today.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/31/us/ch...ted/index.html
Quote:
A scary situation in Seguin, Texas, came to a peaceful end when an off-duty police officer apprehended a man who was wearing a surgical mask, carrying a handgun and acting erratically.

According to the Seguin Police Department, the officer approached Tony Dwayne Albert II on Sunday after concerned bystanders reported Albert for suspicious behavior. The officer noted that Albert was "wearing tactical style clothing, a surgical face shield, carrying a loaded firearm and extra ammunition."

An SPD spokeswoman said Albert claimed he was looking for the First Baptist Church in Vidor, Texas, where he planned to fulfill what he called a "prophecy." Vidor is about 250 miles east of Seguin.

Albert, 33, of Houston, was arrested and charged with unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon.

SPD spokeswoman Tanya Brown said detectives have determined that the 9mm Smith and Wesson handgun Albert was carrying was stolen from a home in Vidor. It wasn't clear Monday whether Albert is responsible for the burglary, she said.

Albert was being held Monday at the Guadalupe County Jail on a $100,000 bond, according to online records. CNN has not been able to contact his attorney.

Employees at a Mexican restaurant in Seguin told CNN affiliate KSAT they became alarmed after Albert came in with a gun Sunday morning and asked where the nearest Baptist church was. After he left the restaurant they locked the front door and called police.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:38 PM   #1186
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I guess this is the best place for this.
On another board I frequent (one dedicated to restoring century old automobiles) someone posted this link and, while not a platform I've ever read before ...I found this article interesting and comparable to a point I've tried to make before.

Thought I'd share

The Surprisingly Solid Mathematical Case of the Tin Foil Hat Gun Prepper
Old 01-24-2019, 08:18 PM   #1187
Edward64
Head Coach

Fun read. Would have been interested in the comments to hear the counterarguments (but did not see one).
Old 01-26-2019, 07:21 PM   #1188
cuervo72
Head Coach

4th person dies after shooting spree near Penn State University | 6abc.com

21-year-old wanted for slaying of parents, 3 others in Louisiana

5 people killed in Florida bank shooting; suspect in custody

So, about terrorism concerns...

Last edited by cuervo72 : 01-26-2019 at 07:22 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:47 PM   #1189
RainMaker
General Manager

Kind of weird how these mass shootings don't even register much anymore on a national scale. 20 years ago this would be wall to wall coverage. Now it seems like unless you hit double digits, its just another day in America.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:09 PM   #1190
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Kind of weird how these mass shootings don't even register much anymore on a national scale. 20 years ago this would be wall to wall coverage. Now it seems like unless you hit double digits, its just another day in America.

I do think they still register on a national scale but no doubt the "shock effect" isn't as great anymore. It is as if we've come to expect it.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:04 AM   #1191
Edward64
Head Coach

re: earlier posts on churchs' and armed volunteers

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...curity-n963031
Quote:
When Chris Crews prepares for church on Sunday mornings, he follows a routine. He rises early. He puts on his church clothes, a button-down shirt paired with blue jeans or khakis. Then, before leaving the house with his wife and two children, he straps a firearm — a 9 mm or a .45 — to his right hip.

“I don’t leave home without a gun,” Crews said. “It’s kind of like the old American Express card ads: I just won’t leave home without it.”

Crews, 47, is part of the security team at Ava Assembly of God, a Pentecostal church of 300 members in Ava, Missouri. The church has no paid security guards. Instead, it counts on a team of 18 church members to keep fellow congregants safe. None of the security team members are paid and all carry handguns.
:
Pomeroy said he had felt safe in church because he carried a gun and knew several church members who did as well. He believed he and other armed congregants would be able to defend the church in the event of a shooting. But because there was no formal schedule for armed congregants to follow, no one who traditionally brought a gun to church — including Pomeroy — was in attendance the day of the shooting.

"We thought we were prepared,” Pomeroy said, “but we weren’t.”

Since the shooting, the church has invested in cameras and radios and also implemented a carefully choreographed schedule of volunteers who carry guns both openly and concealed during Sunday services.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-28-2019 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:53 PM   #1192
digamma
Torchbearer

So, this week Everytown is recognizing Gun Violence Survivors Week, chosen because the first week of February is when the US passes all other developed nations in per capita gun deaths for an average year.

I was honored to be asked to do a StoryCorps interview with a woman I know whose dad was also a football coach who was killed in a home invasion. We talked about a lot of things, and Everyown put it together into this piece, which I think turned out very well.

Everytown on Twitter: "LISTEN: Stephen Venable & Tiffany Starr remember their fathers, both killed by gun violence. Stephen sees his father in himself: "I catch myself saying things that I know my dad would've said. I'm like oh, yeah, that's Dad." #MomentsThatSurvive @StoryCorps… https://t.co/hBfPKXbP6f"
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:21 PM   #1193
Kodos
Resident Alien

Wow. I'm at a loss for words. I'm so sorry you had to go through that sort of loss, and that you have to live with the aftermath and absence of your father and brother every day. Thank you for sharing.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:45 PM   #1194
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
So, this week Everytown is recognizing Gun Violence Survivors Week, chosen because the first week of February is when the US passes all other developed nations in per capita gun deaths for an average year.

I was honored to be asked to do a StoryCorps interview with a woman I know whose dad was also a football coach who was killed in a home invasion. We talked about a lot of things, and Everyown put it together into this piece, which I think turned out very well.

Everytown on Twitter: "LISTEN: Stephen Venable & Tiffany Starr remember their fathers, both killed by gun violence. Stephen sees his father in himself: "I catch myself saying things that I know my dad would've said. I'm like oh, yeah, that's Dad." #MomentsThatSurvive @StoryCorps… https://t.co/hBfPKXbP6f"

This is great. Nice work.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:24 PM   #1195
QuikSand
lolzcat

dusty in here
Old 02-06-2019, 11:27 PM   #1196
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Gun Violence Survivors Week, chosen because the first week of February is when the US passes all other developed nations in per capita gun deaths for an average year.

This is just a devastating statistic.

Thanks for sharing, that was very well done.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:58 AM   #1197
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
This is great. Nice work.

Agree. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:39 AM   #1198
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
The yoga mass shooter was an extremist with a history of violence against women and a love of guns. Check all the boxes yet again. As a bonus, he was an incel.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/03/u...g-florida.html

Tallahassee yoga studio shooter was 'disturbed' and hated women, police say - Orlando Sentinel

Pattern of behavior established.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:18 AM   #1199
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

I dont know how i missed this earlier, but I too wanted to echo what others have already said. I am sorry for such a tragic loss of your family and all the bullshit that you had to go through. Thank you for sharing your story, and kudos for the strength that you carry on with and let us see/hear. I am sticking this in my electronic file for when students are in my office dealing with an issue such as this.

Unfortuantley, we just had one of our former star athletes and his best friend gunned down over $500 worth of weed, and while i dont condone what he was doing while he lost his life, the victims and how they feel and what they are left with are very much real and hurting. Thank you again for your story and for sharing it.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:07 PM   #1200
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/act...ois/index.html
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote