Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-15-2019, 10:45 AM   #20051
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The Chinese bans are definitely racist - there is has been a longstanding belief (like centuries old) that Han Chinese are the best ethnic group.

Just saw this. Yes, this is arguably true. Toss in Japanese also as being pretty racist but prob not as much as Chinese.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-15-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #20052
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
The original discussion top was below and we got off on a somewhat related tangent.

Can we just point out (because it's been bothering me for a bit now) is that this is YOUR view of the original discussion.

JPhillips and I have made clear that we believe the GOP is a white nationalist party because the leadership and policies they are undertaking are undergirded by white nationalist intent. We never said that the majority of members of the GOP is white nationalist (I can't speak for JPhillips, but I don't know exactly how many are white nationalist - and whether it matters if they are openly or unconsciously white nationalist).

Therefore saying "GOP is predominantely white nationalist" is a twisting of our argument.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #20053
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Can we table this minutiae?

Typical off tangent to distract.

Trump just intimidated a witness real time and Roger Stone guilty on all 7 counts.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:07 AM   #20054
kingfc22
Head Coach

I don't know about everyone else, but myself and people I know don't have any federal criminals in their close circle of friends.

Usually these type of individuals stick together.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:15 AM   #20055
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Do you believe that Trump and the folks who he surrounds himself with are white supremacists? Do you believe that a lot of Trump's views on policies are based on white supremacy (though in other aspects, held by other people arguably may or may not be)?

Because that is the baseline. If you don't agree on that, then we can't have any fruitful conversation here.

Yes, I do believe Trump and many of the folks he surrounds himself with are racist (not necessarily the other GOP leadership like Mitchell, Thune, Pence). The original discussion point is somewhat related to Trump (and is below), but it was much broader. I don't think we can over generalized saying GOP is predominately white-nationalist.
Quote:
I think the recent discussion topic is

1) GOP is predominately white-nationalist
2) White-nationalist are racists or has racism as one of their major tenets
Quote:
If Trump's views and policies are based on his white supremacy beliefs and Republicans in Congress are dedicated to defending and carrying out his policies while not condemning the intent behind it, then at best, the Republican Congressional leadership is carrying water for white supremacy.

Are Trump's views and policies based on white nationalism? Some but there are a ton of his policies I would define as just nationalism and playing to his base (and stupidity, hypocrisy, greed/self interest etc.). The original discussion point was not Trump specifically, it was the over generalization that GOP is white nationalist. Yes, I would say they are "carrying water" or enabling Trump.

Referring back to another post on policies:

Quote:
Examples of significant GOP policies that don't fall under white nationalist and racism (or at least defined by ADL)? Some of the top of my head

1) China, North Korea
2) Tax cuts
3) SCOTUS (more conservative than racist)
4) Living it up with dictators
5) Healthcare - against poor/less fortunate
6) Climate change
7) TPP/NAFTA or whatever they call them now

I don't believe the next one is racist because I support it and I don't believe I'm a racist. But I can understand why some do.

8) The Wall and illegal immigration reform (e.g. I call this more nationalist vs white nationalist, see my proposed wiki definitions of both)

Notwithstanding Trump's tweets, can you list some significant policies/event that you believe the GOP support and are racist?

Quote:
Mitch McConnell, after all, said he does not believe Trump is a racist. Unless you are asserting that the Republicans in Congress don't care that Trump's justifications for policies are racist, they just compartmentalize that and try to assert non racist reasons for why the policy is ok - which is a POV you can hold, but I don't actually think it works.

Odds are that McConnell is saying what he has to say. I'm pretty sure he does think Trump is a racist. I think why the majority of Republicans in Congress don't care about Trump's racism is because of self-preservation not because they believe "I'm white and I'm superior to the brown" people.

I will say if the definition of racism is the second definition, non-ADL version (see below), yeah I can see why some people on this board view so much as being racism.

Quote:
Racism vs. Prejudice: What's the Difference?
Quote:
Race scholars Howard Winant and Michael Omi define racism as a way of representing or describing race that “creates or reproduces structures of domination based on essentialist categories of race.” In other words, racism results in an unequal distribution of power on the basis of race.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:20 AM   #20056
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
Trump just intimidated a witness real time

There's a large group in the media and elected GOP positions who are all-in with Trump. They like him; they agree with him; and they will ride or die with him.

But there's another group (smaller than people realize but still there) who don't really agree with Trump but who are willing to tolerate him to keep Democrats out of power.

What's amazing to me is how these people think he will ever stop. They think that if they can get through just one more unprecedentedly horrible thing, then he will calm down and things can get back to normal.

But that will never happen. The man is a walking Martingale system of shit. He will ALWAYS double down. It is his only move.

And I just don't see how these people who regret not getting off the train 6 months ago think that things won't be worse 6 months from now.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:23 AM   #20057
PilotMan
Head Coach

who knew jbmagic was trump?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:29 AM   #20058
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think why the majority of Republicans in Congress don't care about Trump's racism is because of self-preservation not because they believe "I'm white and I'm superior to the brown" people

Looking the other way when the head of the party does things for racist reasons basically perpetuates racism, right?

Besides, who are they worried about self preservation from? If it's only 20% of voters who are worrisome, then a primary challenge to entrenched Senators shouldn't gain any traction, right? Unless they may silently believe what the head of their party is saying, they just don't like the uncouth way he's saying it.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:35 AM   #20059
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
who knew jbmagic was trump?

Explains everything, really.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:39 AM   #20060
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Can we just point out (because it's been bothering me for a bit now) is that this is YOUR view of the original discussion.

JPhillips and I have made clear that we believe the GOP is a white nationalist party because the leadership and policies they are undertaking are undergirded by white nationalist intent. We never said that the majority of members of the GOP is white nationalist (I can't speak for JPhillips, but I don't know exactly how many are white nationalist - and whether it matters if they are openly or unconsciously white nationalist).

Therefore saying "GOP is predominantely white nationalist" is a twisting of our argument.

So your beef is I summarized 2 days ago "GOP is a predominantly white nationalist" and that it's a twisting of what JPhillips said "GOP is a white nationalist" party?

Or is it that "we never said the majority of members of the GOP is white nationalist"? If its this, you are right I inferred it (and probably Chief Rum but I'll let him speak for himself). Pretty logical inference but I can concede it may have been the wrong assumption.

So maybe the better statement is "GOP in Congress is enabling Trump with some of his white nationalist" agenda. If so, I don't have a problem with it.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-15-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:50 AM   #20061
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Looking the other way when the head of the party does things for racist reasons basically perpetuates racism, right?
Yes.

Per your other post, apparently I summarized the topic of discussion wrong 2 days ago. I just posted below. Let me know if that's accurate.
Quote:
So maybe the better statement is "GOP is enabling Trump with some of his white nationalist" agenda. If so, I don't have a problem with it.
Quote:
Besides, who are they worried about self preservation from? If it's only 20% of voters who are worrisome, then a primary challenge to entrenched Senators shouldn't gain any traction, right? Unless they may silently believe what the head of their party is saying, they just don't like the uncouth way he's saying it.
I don't understand your point. Trump could support another candidate. Trump could influence appropriations. I'm sure there are a bunch of other ways Trump could make life difficult for the Senator/Congressman.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-15-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:50 AM   #20062
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Yes, I do believe Trump and many of the folks he surrounds himself with are racist (not necessarily the other GOP leadership like Mitchell, Thune, Pence). The original discussion point is somewhat related to Trump (and is below), but it was much broader. I don't think we can over generalized saying GOP is predominately white-nationalist.

Are Trump's views and policies based on white nationalism? Some but there are a ton of his policies I would define as just nationalism and playing to his base (and stupidity, hypocrisy, greed/self interest etc.). The original discussion point was not Trump specifically, it was the over generalization that GOP is white nationalist. Yes, I would say they are "carrying water" or enabling Trump.

Referring back to another post on policies:

Odds are that McConnell is saying what he has to say. I'm pretty sure he does think Trump is a racist. I think why the majority of Republicans in Congress don't care about Trump's racism is because of self-preservation not because they believe "I'm white and I'm superior to the brown" people.

I will say if the definition of racism is the second definition, non-ADL version (see below), yeah I can see why some people on this board view so much as being racism.

McConnell is working hard every day to make it harder for minorities to vote so that older white voters will be able to hold on to power.

This is what I mean by white nationalist policies as opposed to person racism.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:55 AM   #20063
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
McConnell is working hard every day to make it harder for minorities to vote so that older white voters will be able to hold on to power.

I'm just going raise the possibility that McConnell is driven more by partisanship than racism in this issue.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #20064
JPhillips
General Manager

In outcome, it doesn't matter. Again, it's about policies, not personal feelings. He is working to make sure that older whites continue to dominate the government.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #20065
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Okay, white nationalist policies but excluding racism.

ISiddiqui, do you agree? You introduced white supremacy/ist in the conversation which clearly alludes to racism.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:10 PM   #20066
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I'm just going raise the possibility that McConnell is driven more by partisanship than racism in this issue.

I agree (unless you use the second proposed definition of racism) and then its clearly racist.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-15-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:14 PM   #20067
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

It's still tacit white nationalism.

"White people are our power base so let's do everything we can to amplify their ability to keep us in power" and "White people are innately physically and morally superior and genetically best-suited to rule" are functionally indistiguishable except on a moral level.

In terms of practical impact at a policy level, there isn't a real difference.

Well, until the racial animus drives genocide as a policy consideration, anyway.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:43 PM   #20068
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I think you have to also separate self preservation from racism. In Arizona, illegals tend to vote around 75% towards democrats. So, we have many republican candidates (including some latinos) who try to reduce the number that end up voting through requiring more legit forms of ID. Does that mean latino republicans are racist against Mexicans? I don't really think so. If they voted 75% republican, those same people would welcome them with open arms.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #20069
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
In outcome, it doesn't matter. Again, it's about policies, not personal feelings. He is working to make sure that older whites continue to dominate the government.

I don't think McConnell is working for Joe Biden or Bernie Sanders to dominate the government.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:52 PM   #20070
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It ends up being the same thing. Why are African-Americans (or Latin Americans) less likely to vote for the Republican Party? A history of racism and racist policies.

Quote:
Okay, white nationalist policies but excluding racism.

ISiddiqui, do you agree? You introduced white supremacy/ist in the conversation which clearly alludes to racism.

I don't think they can be de-linked. Racism is a system as well as personal animus.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:54 PM   #20071
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
Can we table this minutiae?

Typical off tangent to distract.

Trump just intimidated a witness real time and Roger Stone guilty on all 7 counts.

And Trump is tweeting how unfairly Stone is being treated and why is he the only one in trouble.

Only the best people
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #20072
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
In Arizona, illegals tend to vote around 75% towards democrats. So, we have many republican candidates (including some latinos) who try to reduce the number that end up voting through requiring more legit forms of ID. Does that mean latino republicans are racist against Mexicans? I don't really think so. If they voted 75% republican, those same people would welcome them with open arms.

Errr... Undocumented immigrants can't vote and there has been very little evidence that they are doing so (in fact voter ID laws tend to prevent more citizens from voting that they do in preventing undocumented people from voting). In fact, I'd say that is a viewpoint guided by racism since there is very little factual basis behind it.

Are 'Illegals' Lining Up to Vote in Battsville, Arizona?

Are undocumented immigrants voting in Ariz.?

Quote:
But county election officials, who are responsible for processing voter registrations, say instances of non-citizens or undocumented immigrants attempting to register, let alone casting ballots, are extremely rare.

Jasper Altaha, the Maricopa County voter-registration manager, could cite just one example.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:05 PM   #20073
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
And Trump is tweeting how unfairly Stone is being treated and why is he the only one in trouble.

Only the best people

Stone guilty on all counts, and I'm sure it can be arranged to add Trump to the list of those in trouble...
Old 11-15-2019, 01:17 PM   #20074
Thomkal
Head Coach

Trump tweets attacks on Voyanovich as she testfies. Adam Schiff reads them out to her
Old 11-15-2019, 01:39 PM   #20075
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Errr... Undocumented immigrants can't vote and there has been very little evidence that they are doing so (in fact voter ID laws tend to prevent more citizens from voting that they do in preventing undocumented people from voting). In fact, I'd say that is a viewpoint guided by racism since there is very little factual basis behind it.
That voter ID law is what I was referring to. The point was many republican candidates supported it and were chastised for being racist. When, they just wanted to make sure illegals (who voted democrat more often) weren't able to vote. I wasn't saying it is an issue now - simply that a lot of Arizona congressmen were labeled racist when they supported it. And, I would say it was more self preservation than racist.

Also, before the law was put into play, a person could register to vote in Arizona without submitting proof of citizenship. Those voters could only vote in federal elections (referred to a "federal only" voters), but they could vote for the president. So, in theory, an illegal could register to vote, get a type F driver's license and use that to vote for the president. The voter ID law closed that loophole.

Last edited by Arles : 11-15-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:48 PM   #20076
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I don't think it was an issue then either. And supporting a voter ID law based on flimsy facts that undocumented people were voting on the basis of a issue that wasn't an issue seems to be racist to me.

In Georgia they've been going on about voter ID laws, even though there has never been shown to be an issue about undocumented people voting.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:23 PM   #20077
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I'll be honest, I'm torn on the whole "voter ID" issue. I think in specific instances with loopholes, it should be discussed - but it does suppress legal votes as well.

But I didn't bring up this to debate voter ID laws, I used it as an example of where a congressman supported a law that could be viewed as somewhat racist, not because they were racist, but because it may help them get elected. I think self-preservation and holding on to power makes a lot more sense when driving to discern motives of why the GOP still supports Trump.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:27 PM   #20078
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But I didn't bring up this to debate voter ID laws, I used it as an example of where a congressman supported a law that could be viewed as somewhat racist, not because they were racist, but because it may help them get elected. I think self-preservation and holding on to power makes a lot more sense when driving to discern motives of why the GOP still supports Trump.

So it comes back to they are supporting racist laws (not having evidence of voter fraud from undocumented immigrants, but making it a big deal we have to stop it seems hella racist to me; YMMV) for votes. Meaning... the voters are racists? And the politicians are carrying water for racism? Is that better if one is still perpetuating racism due to political advantage?
Old 11-15-2019, 02:57 PM   #20079
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
I don't think it was an issue then either. And supporting a voter ID law based on flimsy facts that undocumented people were voting on the basis of a issue that wasn't an issue seems to be racist to me.

In Georgia they've been going on about voter ID laws, even though there has never been shown to be an issue about undocumented people voting.

This.

And enough has come out from people pushing voter ID laws to know that the goal is to suppress likely Dem voters. They know there are almost no cases of in-person voter fraud. They know what they are trying to do. They're just lying so that they can get away with it.

Last edited by JPhillips : 11-15-2019 at 02:59 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:01 PM   #20080
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I'll be honest, I'm torn on the whole "voter ID" issue. I think in specific instances with loopholes, it should be discussed - but it does suppress legal votes as well.

I'm all for Voter ID laws. Makes a lot of sense to me (and Jimmy Carter who I'm sure is not a ADL-Racist). I'm also against electronic voting without some sort of paper trail (e.g. I still buy blu-rays).

Voter ID laws in the United States - Wikipedia
Quote:
But in 2005, American University's Commission on Federal Election Reform, co-chaired by former President Jimmy Carter and former Secretary of State James Baker, wrote:

The electoral system cannot inspire public confidence if no safeguards exist to deter or detect fraud or to confirm the identity of voters. Photo IDs currently are needed to board a plane, enter federal buildings, and cash a check. Voting is equally important.

— The Commission on Federal Election Reform[92]
The Commission concluded that, although proven voter impersonation is minimal, a photo ID requirement will ensure election integrity and safeguard public perception of the nation's voting system at little cost to anyone.[92]

However, among certain demographics, voter ID laws lower electoral confidence. A 2016 study concluded that Democrats in states with strict ID laws have reduced faith in the electoral system. It said that negative politicization by the Democratic Party may be to blame.[93] On the other hand, Republicans living in strict photo identification states were more confident in their elections, though possibly due to similar politicization by Republican elites.[93] Another 2015 study found that voters living in states with voter ID laws were not more confident in elections than voters who lived in states without such laws.[94] A 2016 study found that people living in states with voter ID laws were no more confident in their elections than people in states without such laws, nor did they perceive lower rates of voter impersonation fraud.[95] A 2017 study found similar results for both national and local election outcomes.[96]
Old 11-15-2019, 03:36 PM   #20081
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
So it comes back to they are supporting racist laws (not having evidence of voter fraud from undocumented immigrants, but making it a big deal we have to stop it seems hella racist to me; YMMV) for votes. Meaning... the voters are racists? And the politicians are carrying water for racism? Is that better if one is still perpetuating racism due to political advantage?
That's a pretty big leap. Looking to close a loophole on illegal immigrants voting in federal elections does not equate "carrying water for racism". It simply means that sometimes supporting a bill, congressman or president can help you get elected or retain power. That's normally a better indicator for motive than "gotta protect whitey!".

To turn it around, if Trump was at 30% approval in the republican party - do you think these racist GOP congressmen would still support him to continue their racist agenda? Or do you think they would drop him in a New York minute and go to the next candidate (probably not at racist) to help them stay in power?
Old 11-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #20082
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's a pretty big leap. Looking to close a loophole on illegal immigrants voting in federal elections does not equate "carrying water for racism". It simply means that sometimes supporting a bill, congressman or president can help you get elected or retain power. That's normally a better indicator for motive than "gotta protect whitey!".

To turn it around, if Trump was at 30% approval in the republican party - do you think these racist GOP congressmen would still support him to continue their racist agenda? Or do you think they would drop him in a New York minute and go to the next candidate (probably not at racist) to help them stay in power?

Seeing as there is no evidence that it is an issue, yes, it is carrying water for racism. Especially if you are just doing it for getting elected.

Your second question kind of affirms it. Trump is a racist, everyone knows it (well, except Mitch McConnell apparently), and is polling 90% of the Republican Party. So Republicans are going along with polices that have racist intents (as the President makes clear). It doesn't matter whether it is for political benefits or not, it's perpetuating racism. It's like talking about Southern politicians who were supporting segregation in public. Maybe some of them really weren't for segregation, but it kept them elected. Does that matter when they kept going to bat for it? Not in the slightest. Do we spare them today by saying well it was more political than racial for Senator X? Of course not. Perpetuating a racist system is just as bad as being a racist yourself - may be even worse since you know better.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:46 PM   #20083
RainMaker
General Manager

Whatever your stance is on voter ID, Republicans aren't pushing it because of "illegals voting". They know which demographic it hurts. Just as they know what they're doing when they close a bunch of voter locations is specific neighborhoods.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:50 PM   #20084
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Whatever your stance is on voter ID, Republicans aren't pushing it because of "illegals voting". They know which demographic it hurts. Just as they know what they're doing when they close a bunch of voter locations is specific neighborhoods.

Truth. And even if they are doing it to "get elected", they are perpetuating racism by doing so. So does it matter if they are doing it merely to get elected as opposed to doing it because they are guided by racial animus (and a lot of times I don't know if the two are as easily separated as people think - folks used to say Nixon was just doing the Southern Strategy for electoral reasons until the Nixon tapes came out and it was obvious he was a massive racist)? In the end it's the same racist result to prevent African-Americans from easly voting.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:50 PM   #20085
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Seeing as there is no evidence that it is an issue, yes, it is carrying water for racism. Especially if you are just doing it for getting elected.

There was actually plenty of evidence that it was happening here in AZ and it was not just about voting. Illegal immigrants were also getting on Medicaid and other entitlements here and this was more of a sweeping change to prevent that as well. Trust me, I am no fan of the current GOP at all, but working in Medicaid I can tell you it was a legit problem and the loopholes that allowed people to access these programs also allowed them to vote illegally. I doubt it was any where near the extent that was portrayed, but it was happening.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:51 PM   #20086
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
There was actually plenty of evidence that it was happening here in AZ and it was not just about voting. Illegal immigrants were also getting on Medicaid and other entitlements here and this was more of a sweeping change to prevent that as well. Trust me, I am no fan of the current GOP at all, but working in Medicaid I can tell you it was a legit problem and the loopholes that allowed people to access these programs also allowed them to vote illegally. I doubt it was any where near the extent that was portrayed, but it was happening.

Medicaid, I can see. But in terms of voting, in overwhelming studies done, it has been showing the voter fraud is very, very rare.

Arizona Republicans were claiming massive voter fraud in 2018's Senatorial election with no evidence, even after the voter ID laws.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 11-15-2019 at 03:52 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:00 PM   #20087
JPhillips
General Manager

The easiest way to suppress Dem votes is to make it harder for blacks to vote. As a 2015 study showed,

Quote:
Unlike the mixed findings generated by macro-level studies, this article provides convincing evidence that the size of the black district population negatively influences the likelihood that a Democratic legislator votes in favor of a restrictive voter ID bill, but positively affects the probability that a Republican lawmaker votes yes.

Again, the policies are white nationalist. It doesn't matter if the people implementing them are personally racist.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:03 PM   #20088
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Or just simply partisan.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:03 PM   #20089
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

I can't find evidence of that. Here a bunch of officials responsible for it say that isn't happening.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:04 PM   #20090
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
The easiest way to suppress Dem votes is to make it harder for blacks to vote. As a 2015 study showed,

Again, the policies are white nationalist. It doesn't matter if the people implementing them are personally racist.

Guess which neighborhoods these polling places primarily fall in.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1VV09J
Old 11-15-2019, 04:05 PM   #20091
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I just want to echo this. Because it seems like this is not getting through.

So, Edward, if you'd like to edit your points:

1. The GOP is a white nationalist party
2. White nationalism is a racist philosophy
3. The GOP is pursing policies that perpetuate racism

Maybe in this way we can avoid mind reading if someone is really truly racist personally or just persuing racist policies for electoral reasons.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #20092
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Guess which neighborhoods these polling places primarily fall in.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1VV09J

That's where they really give up the game. There's a way to do voter ID where everyone can get one easily and at no cost and there's no impact on who can vote.

But the goal is to suppress Dem voters, so voter ID is often supplemented with polling location closings, registration restrictions, reduced early voting, and voter roll purges.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #20093
RainMaker
General Manager

I mean have people not heard of the Southern Strategy? The people behind it were quite implicit in their reasoning. It's still done today.

And this isn't a tiny portion of the party. Not a single Republican has come out to demand that Stephen Miller step down after evidence of him being a white supremacist came out. This is a regular everyday tweet from one of the more Senior Senators.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:21 PM   #20094
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I mean have people not heard of the Southern Strategy? The people behind it were quite implicit in their reasoning. It's still done today.

For the longest time I remember hearing folks saying it was just political, bristling at the fact that Nixon was a virulent racist and the Southern strategy was a racist attempt to win the Presidency. Around Nixon's funeral people were talking about how he was a 'statesman' who's big sin was he tried to cheat. Up until the Nixon tapes came out and then those objections about him being a racist withered away.

I wonder if that's going to happen here. If some letters or recordings of Mitch McConnell come out and then people are like, oh I guess he was personally racist after all, and it wasn't just 'politics' (as if pursuing racist policies because it's politics is ok).

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 11-15-2019 at 04:22 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:26 PM   #20095
JPhillips
General Manager

Almost every GOPer in the WH, Senate, and House have bought into the white nationalist idea that immigrants and people of color are replacing whites. All of the immigration stuff and the voting stuff is built on that white nationalist foundation.

They could have gone another way. After the 2012 election the RNC wrote a report on how the party could expand it's reach in minority communities. It was rejected and a strategy of maximizing white votes and suppressing votes of people of color was chosen instead.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #20096
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Medicaid, I can see. But in terms of voting, in overwhelming studies done, it has been showing the voter fraud is very, very rare.

Arizona Republicans were claiming massive voter fraud in 2018's Senatorial election with no evidence, even after the voter ID laws.

It definitely was not massive and in 2018 protections were in place, so that is just a bullshit smokescreen for their candidate getting trucked by Sinema. And it is going to happen to McSally again next year. She is not very popular and running against another very moderate Democrat.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:49 PM   #20097
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
I can't find evidence of that. Here a bunch of officials responsible for it say that isn't happening.

This is after those changes were implemented, so this is more bullshit.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:58 PM   #20098
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I just want to echo this. Because it seems like this is not getting through.

So, Edward, if you'd like to edit your points:

1. The GOP is a white nationalist party
2. White nationalism is a racist philosophy
3. The GOP is pursing policies that perpetuate racism

Maybe in this way we can avoid mind reading if someone is really truly racist personally or just persuing racist policies for electoral reasons.

and I'll add JPhillips quote here for clarity. He states implementing but I think he really meant creating so I added to.

Quote:
Again, the policies are white nationalist. It doesn't matter if the people implementing or creating them are personally racist
Can you provide a definition of "racist policies", not examples but actual definition?

My default answer would have been "... a policy that perpetuates racism, based on the belief that one race is superior to another". That doesn't seem to work well if you take out a creator or implementer from consideration.

EDIT: Maybe it would be second definition of racism below? Way too broad for me but ...

Quote:
Racism vs. Prejudice: What's the Difference?
Quote:
Race scholars Howard Winant and Michael Omi define racism as a way of representing or describing race that “creates or reproduces structures of domination based on essentialist categories of race.” In other words, racism results in an unequal distribution of power on the basis of race.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-15-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:04 PM   #20099
JPhillips
General Manager

Trump has pardoned three war criminals over the objections of the Pentagon.

and

It turns out there were ten possible sites for the G-7. Those were narrowed down to four and then two were eliminated and Doral was added as a finalist.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:09 AM   #20100
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I feel like Dumps would weigh in on this Garrett thing if he played for a non battleground state team.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote