Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-22-2014, 03:55 AM   #51
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There's like a 0% chance Larrick doesn't murder everyone in the woods. I thought that was weak sauce. He killed the phone guy, the handler, the woman that was watching the kid. What's 2-3 more bodies.

Otherwise I really enjoyed this season.

Last edited by stevew : 05-22-2014 at 04:00 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:39 AM   #52
stevew
Hall Of Famer

One final thought....is it possible that the reverend/youth leader at the church is actually a plant by the soviets who is hopefully there to inspire Paige to trust the cause? would be a great under the radar type thing for them to set up for the future.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:30 AM   #53
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Ooh, good call.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #54
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
There's like a 0% chance Larrick doesn't murder everyone in the woods. I thought that was weak sauce. He killed the phone guy, the handler, the woman that was watching the kid. What's 2-3 more bodies.

Otherwise I really enjoyed this season.

I could see Larrick thinking that the best way to really hurt Elizabeth & Phillip would be to expose them and their network. Not only would they be thrown in jail, but it could help bring down others associated with them. He probably figured that would be worse than killing them and a better way to "avenge" his fallen brothers.

I will miss Nina and her Russian hotness.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #55
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
One final thought....is it possible that the reverend/youth leader at the church is actually a plant by the soviets who is hopefully there to inspire Paige to trust the cause? would be a great under the radar type thing for them to set up for the future.

That's what my wife has been calling for the last couple episodes. It would make sense if you look how she came to him. With the girl on the bus that just magically talks to her, etc.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #56
Jas_lov
College Starter

If they try to get Paige she'll go to Stan. I think Stan will eventually flip someone in that family, but maybe that'll be one of the last seasons.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #57
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
If they try to get Paige she'll go to Stan. I think Stan will eventually flip someone in that family, but maybe that'll be one of the last seasons.

I would imagine if Stan flips anyone it would be the son since he wrote the report on Stan being his hero. Paige joining up wouldn't surprise me as long as her parents approach the subject before the Soviets do.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #58
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
What a great season of television. My first instinct is to compare it to Justified Season 2, a show that started very well and that I liked after the first season, but during the second just went huge and nailed practically *everything* and became something that felt pretty darn special. That may be slightly too high praise given exactly how highly I rate Justified's second season, time will tell, but I just can't express enough how satisfying I thought every single episode this year was.

my wife and I just finished the season today. and of course I agree that this season was more or less perfect (except the prospect of losing Nina, which I'm not sure I'll be able to survive). I would rate the Americans as higher than Justified - high praise, as I love Justified. To me, this is on par with the Wire where I have a deep vested interest no matter which group is on the screen.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #59
Radii
Head Coach

About 6 weeks until the new season.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #60
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That trailer is amazing.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:41 PM   #61
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Was excited by first episode. Good call back to a minor season 1 player. John Boy getting his ass kicked was a highlight.

Also wish they made action figures for this show. Needs to happen.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:19 PM   #62
kingfc22
Head Coach

Surprised there has been so little chatter in this thread. I'm currently still one episode behind, but I'm loving this season so far.

With the CIA getting some close calls in capturing Elizabeth, to the dynamics of Phillip and Elizabeth's relationship over the handling of Paige, then to see how anxious he was waiting for Elizabeth to get home the night she was followed. Stan seems to be losing it and now he's willing to give up the CIA's asset in the Russian defector so he can try to get Nina back to the US.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:54 PM   #63
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I think there has been some chatter in the general TV thread.

This season has been great so far. I love it. The suitcase and "dentist" scenes alone were brutal. Elizabeth is as big a bad ass as there is on TV right now. She's stone cold. Phillip's "relationship" with the 15 year is really painful to watch. He's really struggling with this - rightfully so - especially since she's around Paige's age and the whole conflict about what Paige would have to do if she were to get pulled into all of this.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #64
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure where this season is headed. I don't feel as excited for the direction of the show right now. Phillip's angle really has me creeped out. I'm hoping he'll find the way to do the right thing and at least not sleep with her.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:53 PM   #65
Radii
Head Coach

I'm caught up now, the last few episodes have been spectacular, and the most recent one was simply azmazing to me. Best show on TV right now I think. Probably for the last 2 years. This episode was so uncomfortable in so many ways, but so so damn good. This horrible storyline with the 15 year old... and it really, really is horrible, has been gripping and wonderfully told so far. Real movement on recruiting Paige is just as horrible, but I'm fascinated by every second of it. Nina's story, though way off to the side has been very interesting too. I still wonder where that goes, it seems hard to imagine her being back into the main storyline in any way, but we'll see.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #66
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I'm caught up now, the last few episodes have been spectacular, and the most recent one was simply azmazing to me. Best show on TV right now I think. Probably for the last 2 years. This episode was so uncomfortable in so many ways, but so so damn good.

I completely agree. There were so many moments during this last episode that made me squirm while I watched. Between 'James' and the 15 year old, the duplicitous use of religion, the EST conversation at the dinner table, and Stan's relationship with Torrie, there were a lot of uncomfortable events. But it was really fascinating to watch nonetheless.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #67
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hey Mrs. McNulty.

I guess I feel like I was way more invested in season 2. I'm still not sure what the greater plot is this year. And that spy that Keri Russell is with has a really impossible accent at times.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:20 PM   #68
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Hey Mrs. McNulty.

Ahhh. Thank you.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:25 PM   #69
path12
Coordinator

Started watching this a couple months ago, just got caught up. This is one of the best shows I've ever seen. Holy shit.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:24 PM   #70
kingfc22
Head Coach

Wow. The scenes with Elizabeth and the old lady. Just wow.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:16 PM   #71
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, Russell should get nominated for that episode and Sookie's grandma for best guest actor. It was great. Sadly The Americans has that dumb Amazon exclusive deal and gets no Emmy love at all. Should be a much larger deal than it is.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:34 AM   #72
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The actress playing Paige absolutely killed it. Great casting. Plus we're getting season 4.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:56 AM   #73
nol
Banned

That was probably the best episode Henry's had with the Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood.

If stuff doesn't blow up with Martha right at the beginning of next episode the tension might get the best of me.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:07 AM   #74
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post

Sowing the seeds with Henry.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:40 AM   #75
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I loved that they dropped both a Strat-o-Matic and Tron reference in the same scene.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #76
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if Stan is going to get implicated for the pen? Especially when he's lying about the affair. He's very vulnerable to a flip right now and he doesn't even know it.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:46 PM   #77
nol
Banned

Quote:
I wonder if Stan is going to get implicated for the pen? Especially when he's lying about the affair. He's very vulnerable to a flip right now and he doesn't even know it.

Spoiler but by now Stan has definitely figured that there's something up with Martha. He was extremely close to just saying it during his meeting with Walter, and hearing that she had left the office early was the final bit of confirmation he needed.

Last edited by nol : 04-02-2015 at 03:50 PM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:17 PM   #78
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I get that but if he goes after her the fulcrum is likely to switch on him fast.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #79
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Thoughts on finale

Spoiler

Last edited by stevew : 04-16-2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:43 PM   #80
Radii
Head Coach

Holy shit holy shit holy shit!

Some of that was maybe too slow for me for a finale, I have really just had enough of the est bullshit, but whatever, this has, to me, been the best show on TV for the last two years (since Breaking Bad went off the air). LOVED how they ended this one.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:45 PM   #81
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I kinda thought that was pretty underwhelming. Also are we sure pastor Tim isn't a Soviet.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #82
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I kinda thought that was pretty underwhelming. Also are we sure pastor Tim isn't a Soviet.

The finale wasn't what I expected, but, other than the fact that Martha is left for next season, I found what they did extremely intense and emotional and it all landed extremely well for me.

I've seen the Pastor Tim is KGB theory a bunch of times, I hope its not true, because I want to see Phillip kill him. But I suppose its not impossible.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:43 PM   #83
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

yeah, no complaints from me either, so many interesting threads going on. then again, I think this is the best show on TV, hands down.

interesting thought about Pastor Tim being KGB. I have wondered if Stan's new partner is as well.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #84
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I thought maybe they could have had one more Kimmy scene but then again her story ended with the afghan guy stabbing the other guys. Martha is certainly an interesting thread. I'm kinda confused if Phillip actually likes Martha or not.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:10 AM   #85
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Holy shit holy shit holy shit!

Some of that was maybe too slow for me for a finale, I have really just had enough of the est bullshit, but whatever, this has, to me, been the best show on TV for the last two years (since Breaking Bad went off the air). LOVED how they ended this one.

Yeah, I'm on board. Caught up via Amazon Prime on Season 3 a couple of weeks ago and am fired up for this season.

This show is amazing, and if you aren't watching it you should be.

Comes back tonight. So I'll probably miss it thanks to NCAAs, but I'll be watching it soon after.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:28 AM   #86
Radii
Head Coach

I'm really excited to have this coming back. Best show currently on TV!
Old 03-31-2016, 01:58 AM   #87
Radii
Head Coach

Who else is following along? I love this season so far. They seriously struck gold with the kid playing Paige. Danger absolutely everywhere, every moment of the last couple episodes have been filled with an incredible amount of tension. I cannot wait to see how things end up working out over the next few episodes. After week 1 a friend and I both settled immediately on Episode 4 as the episode that Pastor Tim would die. That's next week... feels like I'm on track there, but who knows!

I'm in love with Better Call Saul and I look forward to Game of Thrones coming back... but this right here, this is the best show on TV in my opinion.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:31 AM   #88
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Who else is following along? I love this season so far. They seriously struck gold with the kid playing Paige. Danger absolutely everywhere, every moment of the last couple episodes have been filled with an incredible amount of tension. I cannot wait to see how things end up working out over the next few episodes. After week 1 a friend and I both settled immediately on Episode 4 as the episode that Pastor Tim would die. That's next week... feels like I'm on track there, but who knows!

I'm in love with Better Call Saul and I look forward to Game of Thrones coming back... but this right here, this is the best show on TV in my opinion.

Totally agree all the way around. It's the hour of TV I look forward to more than any other and the actress playing Paige is on a pretty big level to not only hold her own but to steal scenes from the others.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:51 AM   #89
bob
College Starter

I love the Americans, but because we dropped cables years ago, we are multiple seasons behind. Amazon just added season 3 to Prime, so we can start watching that whenever, but I've found that shows I binge watch just don't stick with me the same way shows I watched the traditional way did.

Same thing with House of Cards, Orphan Black, and others. By the time the next season is available, I can't remember what the hell is going on. So its a chore to go back and rewatch the seasons I've already seen, but otherwise I don't know what's going on.

Maybe I just have a bad memory.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:02 AM   #90
Butter
Coordinator

Disappointed that Pastor Tim still hasn't eaten it yet. I feel like they will abort that mission since the parents can't be out of town... looks like this week is kind of a bottle episode.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:00 AM   #91
Radii
Head Coach

Two weeks in a row where every single second was at max tension levels, and it doesn't seem to be slowing down. A really rough ending to this one.

I think, though, that the most powerful scene of the episode was when Elizabeth thought she might be dying and tells Phillip to just take the family and live out their lives as Americans b/c she knows that's what he wants.

Can't wait to see what happens next! I think Pastor Tim lives for a bit longer now, but not forever. I don't think the new plan will prove sustainable.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:21 AM   #92
Butter
Coordinator

I was a little annoyed with this episode, I think mostly because not a lot seemed to be happening AND I think deep down I really wanted Pastor Tim to bite it...

but that last scene was so rough, it more than made up for it. Especially after the hope that was displayed just a few minutes before.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:54 PM   #93
Radii
Head Coach

The Americans gets to end on its own terms with two-season final renewal

The best show on TV (IMO of course) gets 23 more episodes after this year to finish things up, 13 next year and a 10 episode final season.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:12 AM   #94
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I was very happy to hear about this.

The show has been my favorite as well over the last few years. Just fantastic. I'm really glad to hear they know how many more episodes they have left and can plan out an arc for them.

Very impressed with FX, because I know very few people watch this show.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:28 AM   #95
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Man Pastor Tim's face at dinner when Stan says his profession! That whole dinner was just magic. It's interesting that Elizabeth is falling prey to a similar bout of conscious that she was so critical of Phillip for in earlier seasons.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:47 AM   #96
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, I'm pretty pumped about hearing that they won't be cutting this show short and leaving the story hanging.

Excited for the last couple of episodes of Season 4 to see where this goes leading into 5.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:36 AM   #97
Logan
Head Coach

Awful story that ties to this show...yesterday in Brooklyn, a driver ran a red light at a notoriously dangerous intersection, hitting five people including two young children. Both kids...4 years old and 1 year old...died.

One of the women hit was Ruthie Ann Miles who played Young Hee on The Americans a couple of seasons ago. She's also pregnant and it was her 4 year old daughter who passed away. She's said to now be in stable condition.

Prayers to both families.

Tony winner Ruthie Ann Miles injured, daughter killed in fatal crash | EW.com
Old 05-02-2018, 02:37 PM   #98
Radii
Head Coach

I just got caught up on this season, we're about halfway there, correct? Holy crap the last episode was amazing with Phillip stepping up in a ton of ways (without getting too spoilery, I suppose).

This could still end in countless ways for everyone in the cast. Unlike say, The Shield or Breaking Bad where what happened in the end mattered immensely, I'm not sure I necessarily care exactly what happens to Phillip or Elizabeth or Stan, as long as the story on how they get there remains great til the end.

Last season was a bit of a mess, I think because they still had two seasons left so they could only do so much. But this season feels pretty special again.

That's all pretty vague, happy to talk details if folks want to get into full spoilerly goodness. I'm going to miss this show. for most of its run I think its been one of the best things on TV. Breaking Bad was better when it started, The Leftovers was better a couple years, etc, so maybe this has never been *the best* show on TV at any given time, but except for the dip in its next to last season, its always been in the conversation IMO.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:18 PM   #99
Johnny93g
College Starter

Show got better each season for the most part. It's later seasons are better then it's earlier seasons. I don't think it's the best show on TV, but i do think it's a fantastic show that i look forward to every week.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #100
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm going to miss this show. for most of its run I think its been one of the best things on TV. Breaking Bad was better when it started, The Leftovers was better a couple years, etc, so maybe this has never been *the best* show on TV at any given time, but except for the dip in its next to last season, its always been in the conversation IMO.

Extremely well said.