Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #51
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
So a country half the size of Vermont is going to host the world's LARGEST sporting event?

Yay that makes sense FIFA.

I'd like to see how those logistics work out.

Wouldn't worry about it too much - attendances might be down: isn't Qatar a dry country? How much dosh must Qatar have offered to outbid Bud?

AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #52
molson
General Manager

LOL at Americans immediately dismissing the middle east as unworthy and then not understanding why nobody wants to award the U.S. these events.

Edit: Isn't this the same kind of stuff we heard about Rio? I think maybe, the international community doesn't share the U.S. view that other places are too unstable/dangerous to have these events.

Last edited by molson : 12-02-2010 at 11:11 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #53
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post
Wouldn't worry about it too much - attendances might be down: isn't Qatar a dry country? How much dosh must Qatar have offered to outbid Bud?

I bet Jack Warner himself voted for Qatar.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #54
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Grant Wahl saying that Qatar got 11 in the first round, US 3 in the first round.

It was never in question.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #55
spleen1015
Coordinator

I may very well be ignorant when it comes to these things, but what is to stop the Al Queda from blowing up the stadium when the US is playing when the games are right in their backyard?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #56
Ryan S
Quarterback

Hopefully this travesty of a result kick starts investigations into FIFA corruption in the British/Spanish press.

I think that England and Spain/Portugal could deal with losing to Russia, but to have it immediately followed up by the Qatar vote is stunning.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #57
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
LOL at Americans immediately dismissing the middle east as unworthy and then not understanding why nobody wants to award the U.S. these events.

Nobody wants to award the US these events because the US did not pony up enough $$$$ to the voters. If you think it is about anything else, then you are a fool. FIFA would make a killing off another World Cup in the US, but that money would not trickle down to the voters.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #58
AlexB
Pro Starter

Anybody that thought England would win was slightly deluded tbh:

- We have publicly ridiculed Blatter for being an incompetent idiot for years (not inaccurately to be fair ),
- The Times ran a sting where we proved two delegates would accept cash bribes (although the only money on the table was from the sting operation - no evidence in this process that anyone else has even offered bribes)
- our media continually calls FIFA corrupt
- the BBC broadcast a programme on Monday repeating claims of corruption and bribery from a few years back

So after ridicule, accusations and exposees, we seriously expected FIFA to go 'you know what, the English are good fellows looking out for our moral values like they do. I think we'll vote for them.'
Old 12-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #59
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
Hopefully this travesty of a result kick starts investigations into FIFA corruption in the British/Spanish press.

I think that England and Spain/Portugal could deal with losing to Russia, but to have it immediately followed up by the Qatar vote is stunning.

Yeah, this is the reaction of the world media in genearal as i've seen it. Russia is justifiable completely. They are THE hot nation in UEFA, rocketing up the charts in club performance, throwing around cash for plenty of foreign players, building really sweet new stadiums. It's very easy to see how and why they were selected.

Qatar is putting on a one-time event, with one-time stadiums, in a tiny nation. It's baffling.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #60
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Edit: Isn't this the same kind of stuff we heard about Rio? I think maybe, the international community doesn't share the U.S. view that other places are too unstable/dangerous to have these events.

FIFA looked into whether or not all nine bids for 2018 and 2022 would have safety issues. Qatar was the only one they were worried about.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #61
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

Yeah, because giving the World Cup to a nation the size of Connecticut with 146,000 citizens, 1.3 million in cheap foreign labor, one city, one international airport, and a human trafficking problem is a good idea.

The Middle East isn't unworthy of hosting a World Cup. Egypt could. I think a bid centering around Saudi Arabia, with Kuwait, Jordan, etc. could work, if concerns about Al-Qaeda's response to millions of heathens in their holy land could be taken care of. Qatar is a joke. Just like Luxembourg, Vanautu or the Maldives would be on a solo bid.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #62
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

molson has never seen an argument he won't invent and then ridicule.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #63
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I just read something WikiLeaks-related the other day where it was mentioned that Qatar was the worst when it came to counterterrorism efforts.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #64
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
The Middle East isn't unworthy of hosting a World Cup. Egypt could. I think a bid centering around Saudi Arabia, with Kuwait, Jordan, etc. could work, if concerns about Al-Qaeda's response to millions of heathens in their holy land could be taken care of.

Either of those would be far more dangerous than Qatar.

The middle east was going to get one these things sooner or later.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #65
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
molson has never seen an argument he won't invent and then ridicule.

I don't even understand what this means.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #66
Logan
Head Coach

Dubai too.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #67
molson
General Manager

All I'm saying is - hasn't this been the obvious trend for international competitions, to award them to "new" regions - particularly the middle east and asia?
Old 12-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #68
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
All I'm saying is - hasn't this been the obvious trend for international competitions, to award them to "new" regions - particularly the middle east and asia?

I can see supporting evidence for that in FIFA and the IOC, certainly, but I haven't ever seen it given to a country that seems so short of what is capably needed to run the event. I mean, South Africa was a serious stretch, and sure enough, there were a ton of issues there right up to the Cup, and attendance was very poor. This has the potential to be much worse AND also a political shitstorm on top of it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #69
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
I'm not sure most people are aware

I was not aware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Russia got 2018
Qatar got 2022

we lost

...and frankly, I don't care!

/end threadcrap
Old 12-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #70
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I can see supporting evidence for that in FIFA and the IOC, certainly, but I haven't ever seen it given to a country that seems so short of what is capably needed to run the event. I mean, South Africa was a serious stretch, and sure enough, there were a ton of issues there right up to the Cup, and attendance was very poor. This has the potential to be much worse AND also a political shitstorm on top of it.

Qatar does have a ton more money. And they are hosting the Asian Confederations Cup next year, so we can see what happens there.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #71
AFShadow
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
Qatar may be stable, but the region is not. It will be a terrorist heaven, easy to blend in. What if another war breaks out in the region? Would you go if that were the case?

Yeah nope on that last question and a war in that region in the next decade is very likely.
AFShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #72
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I am already giddy at the crazy shit Qatar is going to pull off for their stadiums:

I mean, they're building Al Kwhor stadium (the seashell one) anyway, regardless if they got the Cup bid or not.

The island stadium will be a majestic sight.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #73
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I was not aware...

...and frankly, I don't care!

/end threadcrap

Make sure you pop back in when the World Cup 2018 and 2022 logos are released, so you can fill us in on your critiques of them.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #74
Galaxy
Coordinator

I just don't see who would want to go to Qatar. Besides the security concerns, it's a dry, Islamic country with the games being in the brutal summer heat. The sponsorship laws (foreign workers) seem to be on par with UAE and a concern. Are the "morality" laws as strict as the UAE?

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-02-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #75
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I just don't see who would want to go to Qatar. Besides the security concerns, it's a dry, Islamic country with the games being in the brutal summer heat. The sponsorship laws (foreign workers) seem to be on par with UAE. Are the "morality" laws as strict as the UAE?

They will allow booze for the world cup.

Edit: But ya, if their #1 non-corrupt criteria was the number of westerners who will travel there, it was about the worst decision possible. But I don't think they care about that.

I think they did get lucky from a weak bidding group. Japan/South Korea just had it. The U.S. is just not getting stuff like this in this political climate - putting it here would be an unpopular decision everywhere outside of the U.S. And when you read what these higher-ups in these organizations at least claim is important to them, you can see why the U.S. gets shut out. Australia seems to fit the modern trends a little better, but that was the only real competition in the group. And while Australia is a bigger country, Qatar is a part of a bigger, more important region.

Last edited by molson : 12-02-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #76
AlexB
Pro Starter

Rumours on Sky Sports that the Qatar WC could be moved to September to counter the oppressive heat.

European leagues & clubs would be up in arms - will be fun to see the reaction if that does get confirmed.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #77
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
I am already giddy at the crazy shit Qatar is going to pull off for their stadiums:

I mean, they're building Al Kwhor stadium (the seashell one) anyway, regardless if they got the Cup bid or not.

The island stadium will be a majestic sight.

The stadium surrounded by the LCD is jawdropping.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #78
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
They will allow booze for the world cup.

Edit: But ya, if their #1 non-corrupt criteria was the number of westerners who will travel there, it was about the worst decision possible. But I don't think they care about that.

I think they did get lucky from a weak bidding group. Japan/South Korea just had it. The U.S. is just not getting stuff like this in this political climate - putting it here would be an unpopular decision everywhere outside of the U.S. And when you read what these higher-ups in these organizations at least claim is important to them, you can see why the U.S. gets shut out. Australia seems to fit the modern trends a little better, but that was the only real competition in the group. And while Australia is a bigger country, Qatar is a part of a bigger, more important region.

Have you even been following this or are you just making things up like tarcone's college football strength of schedule rankings?

Here was how the vote turned out:

First round: Australia 1, Japan 3, USA 3, South Korea 4, Qatar 11 (Australia eliminated)

Second round: Japan 2 votes, Korea Republic 5 votes, Qatar 10 votes and USA 5 votes (Japan eliminated)

Third round: Korea Republic 5 votes, Qatar 11 votes, USA 6 votes (Korea Republic eliminated)

Fourth round: Qatar 14 votes and USA 8 votes (Qatar obtained an absolute majority)
Old 12-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #79
spleen1015
Coordinator

Those stadium ideas are pretty amazing. Are they useful once the WC is over? Does it matter if they are?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #80
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Have you even been following this or are you just making things up like tarcone's college football strength of schedule rankings?

Here was how the vote turned out:

First round: Australia 1, Japan 3, USA 3, South Korea 4, Qatar 11 (Australia eliminated)

Second round: Japan 2 votes, Korea Republic 5 votes, Qatar 10 votes and USA 5 votes (Japan eliminated)

Third round: Korea Republic 5 votes, Qatar 11 votes, USA 6 votes (Korea Republic eliminated)

Fourth round: Qatar 14 votes and USA 8 votes (Qatar obtained an absolute majority)

It wasn't really that close. Without knowing the presentations/ect of each bid, just looking at the countries - Australia wouldn't have surprised me, but the U.S. would have SHOCKED me.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #81
Galaxy
Coordinator

I know it's a long shot, but what happens if Israel qualifies for the 2022 WC?

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-02-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #82
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Qatar has said they'll be allowed to play. But obvious concerns, of course.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #83
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
It wasn't really that close. Without knowing the presentations/ect of each bid, just looking at the countries - Australia wouldn't have surprised me, but the U.S. would have SHOCKED me.

You said Australia was the only real competition and they finished dead last. The bookies (mostly based outside of the USA) had USA and Qatar as the two favorites going into today.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #84
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Those stadium ideas are pretty amazing. Are they useful once the WC is over? Does it matter if they are?

They have already said that after the WC, they are going to downsize some of the stadiums, dismantle some, and donate the parts (specifically, the seats) to other Arab countries in need.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #85
molson
General Manager

I mean, here's the voters. I can see maybe how these guys' votes turn out a little differently than how a FOFC message board vote might go:

President
Joseph S. BLATTER Switzerland
Senior Vice President
Julio H. GRONDONA Argentina
Vice President
Issa HAYATOU Cameroon
CHUNG Mong Joon Korea Republic
Jack A. WARNER Trinidad and Tobago
Ángel María VILLAR LLONA Spain
Michel PLATINI France
Reynald TEMARII Tahiti
Geoff THOMPSON England
Michel D'HOOGHE Belgium
Ricardo Terra TEIXEIRA Brazil
Mohamed BIN HAMMAM Qatar
Senes ERZIK Turkey
Chuck BLAZER USA
Worawi MAKUDI Thailand
Nicolás LEOZ Paraguay
Junji OGURA Japan
Amos ADAMU Nigeria
Marios LEFKARITIS Cyprus
Jacques ANOUMA Côte d'Ivoire
Franz BECKENBAUER Germany
Rafael SALGUERO Guatemala
Hany ABO RIDA Egypt
Vitaly MUTKO Russia
Secretary General
Jérôme VALCKE France
Old 12-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #86
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
You said Australia was the only real competition and they finished dead last. The bookies (mostly based outside of the USA) had USA and Qatar as the two favorites going into today.

If the USA and Qatar were the two favorites than Qatar had zero competition. I would have expected a little more Australia love, and I would have been wrong about that.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #87
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Qatar donated $6 Million to build Doha Stadium in Israel. In fact, I think Qatar funds Bnei Sakhnin, the Israeli Premiere League team who plays in Doha Stadium.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 12-02-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #88
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Qatar donated $6 Million to build Doha Stadium in Israel. In fact, I think Qatar funds Bnei Sakhnin, the Israeli Premiere League team who plays in Doha Stadium.

Are Israelis allowed into Qatar?
Old 12-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #89
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Some Isreali tennis players have competed in tournaments held in Qatar over the past few years. Not sure about regular tourists or people traveling on business.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #90
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:

Their immigration laws should be pretty similar to UAE and Bahrain, considering they're the three most liberal countries in the middle east.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #91
whomario
Pro Starter

I am fine with Russia actually ... although would have naturally liked it better if it were Russia and England or Spain/Portugal, screw going round the world.

Japan and South Korea never had a realistic shot only 20 years after hosting it together. Would have prefered the US or Australia over Quatar definitely.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #92
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

What a collosal waste of time - the zombie apocalypse will occur long before these events.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #93
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
SHOCKED that FIFA would choose Qatar. SHOCKED.

I would have cheson Japan. 3D broadcasts? That would have sold me

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #94
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Qatar may be stable, but the region is not. It will be a terrorist heaven, easy to blend in. What if another war breaks out in the region? Would you go if that were the case?

Olympics held in Atlanta were bombed, so it's not like we have a good track record ourselves on that point

Old 12-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #95
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nobody wants to award the US these events because the US did not pony up enough $$$$ to the voters. If you think it is about anything else, then you are a fool. FIFA would make a killing off another World Cup in the US, but that money would not trickle down to the voters.

That's BS since the Salt Lake City Olympics was awarded because of money, and that's been basically proven over time.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #96
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Their immigration laws should be pretty similar to UAE and Bahrain, considering they're the three most liberal countries in the middle east.

Azerbaijan. It had women's suffrage before the US and UK

Old 12-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #97
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I decided that I'm going to Qatar in 2022 if the Zombies don't takeover first.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #98
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
That's BS since the Salt Lake City Olympics was awarded because of money, and that's been basically proven over time.

Are you talking about money the Olympics generated or monies distributed to the voters (i.e. bribes)? It sounds like you mean the former, but GE is talking about bribes/sweetening the pot for the voters.

I don't think there's any doubt that FIFA as a whole would make a ton more money holding the Cup in the US over Qatar. Clearly, that was not a factor in their decision.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #99
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

You can't overestimate the influence of hubris on FIFA's decisions. They love to think that soccer can bring peace to the world and rebuild damaged nations.

The bids from Russia and Qatar emphasised what the game would bring to the country/area. The bids from the US, England, Spain/Portugal and Australia emphasised what the country could bring to the game.

South Africa, Brazil, Russia and Qatar - nation building (building soccer in Arabia for the last) all.

Gutted! Twice over!

Last edited by Mac Howard : 12-02-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #100
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Are you talking about money the Olympics generated or monies distributed to the voters (i.e. bribes)? It sounds like you mean the former, but GE is talking about bribes/sweetening the pot for the voters.

I don't think there's any doubt that FIFA as a whole would make a ton more money holding the Cup in the US over Qatar. Clearly, that was not a factor in their decision.

Sorry GE, I misread, and I apologize. You have my humble apology.