Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-25-2024, 09:13 PM   #4501
Edward64
Head Coach

Started rewatching the series Rome.

Still very entertaining, held up under the test of time.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 05:18 AM   #4502
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I rewatch Rome every couple of years. So well done. I wish they hadn't canceled that in the second season.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:42 AM   #4503
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Watched first 3 episodes of Netflix's adaptation of "Three Body Problem".

I know it's won the Hugo and a bunch of other awards, but it's pretty boring so far, somewhat painful. I'm not sure I'll finish watching it, has not met my (probably unrealistic) expectations.

It was ok. They pumped it up since it had the GoT show runners, but if felt like a SyFy show with a slightly larger budget. And like the last couple of GoT seasons, they basically did a speed run of the first book. It just felt really condensed.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:58 AM   #4504
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I rewatch Rome every couple of years. So well done. I wish they hadn't canceled that in the second season.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

My last rewatch was in early-mid 2010s. I've just finished s1.ep3.

For whatever reason, I'm paying more attention to how supposed "normal" life is depicted. How Lucius treats his wife & children when he first gets home. How the nobles treated their slaves/servants (e.g. having "coitus" with servants around them). How Titus has fun in bars & women. How Atia uses her daughter for political gain etc.

I don't know how real this all really is, but it strikes me as more real/true than not.

It would suck to be anyone other than a male noble back then.
Old 03-26-2024, 07:38 AM   #4505
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
My last rewatch was in early-mid 2010s. I've just finished s1.ep3.

For whatever reason, I'm paying more attention to how supposed "normal" life is depicted. How Lucius treats his wife & children when he first gets home. How the nobles treated their slaves/servants (e.g. having "coitus" with servants around them). How Titus has fun in bars & women. How Atia uses her daughter for political gain etc.

I don't know how real this all really is, but it strikes me as more real/true than not.

It would suck to be anyone other than a male noble back then.
They did a great job trying to portray Roman life without pulling very many punches for the modern sensibilities. Some of the actual history is a little fuzzed over, but the way of life was very close to real.
Old 03-30-2024, 09:37 AM   #4506
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Two more episodes left of Curb ever. :sadface:
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 05:45 PM   #4507
RainMaker
General Manager

Manhunt on Apple TV is not bad if you want a little historical drama. Basically a show about catching Booth and the other conspirators after Lincoln was killed. Little slow but I'm a sucker for these types of shows.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 05:51 PM   #4508
RainMaker
General Manager

Also Apple has a show about Frankin coming in a few weeks. Michael Douglas looks nothing like him so it might be weird.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:35 AM   #4509
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Two more episodes left of Curb ever. :sadface:

I liked the finale with Jerry and the twist on the Seinfeld finale but the season as a whole wasn't very good. Seasons 1-8 were great, 9-10 ok, 11-12 not good. The plots got crazier and the cast got too old by the end. Still a pretty great 35 year run for Larry.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 10:52 AM   #4510
Atocep
Coordinator

Fallout season 2 is already in the works so we shouldn't see a 2 year wait on a new season that's become the norm for streaming shows.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 12:34 PM   #4511
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Fallout season 2 is already in the works so we shouldn't see a 2 year wait on a new season that's become the norm for streaming shows.

That's good to hear. My biggest pet peeve with TV these days is the 2-3 year wait between seasons. Saw an ad for House of the Dragon and I've mostly forgotten what took place in Season 1. Not even sure I'll bother watching it.

Then we'll hear the studios complain that they have to cancel shows early because there is a big dropoff between seasons.
Old 04-09-2024, 01:08 PM   #4512
GrantDawg

Quote:
That may or may not be true. Many of these shows with long waits had green-lights for their next season before airing. The time is more about scheduling and post-production on these effect-heavy shows. Post-production alone often takes more than a year.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 04-09-2024 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 04:49 AM   #4513
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched a couple episodes of Fallout.

I like the quirkiness, the overall look-and-feel of the background scenery, the props, outfits (and the T-60 rotor noises!). Some pretty good special effects. The vault dweller leaving for a quest is true to form.

I imagine my Fallout playthroughs to be more consistently "dark" ... I am constantly killing bad guys and looting their bodies. But understandably, the series need to be less of that.

Overall, don't think it met my expectations but my expectations were probably wrong anyways. Two thumbs up so far.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-11-2024 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:29 PM   #4514
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

fwiw ... We watched the first 2 hours of the new Fallout series on Prime today.

We're not ... displeased, though I think more episodes are needed to determine how pleased we are.

Visually, they've done a very good job. Just like the trailers, a lot of things that just really needed to look right actually do. A good example for me would be the exit of Vault 33, the railings specifically. That's such a distinct look, almost at a subconscious level after some 16 years of seeing it over & over, it would have triggered me if it had been wrong.

The dialogue is between "source material appropriate" and "comically bad". The hokeyness fits, how well it will wear over eight hours is still TBD.

The acting is kind of the same. Walton Goggins seems made for this part -- just as most of us expected -- but he's so good that I already find myself wishing we'd cut back to his story when he's not on screen.

The Amata stand-in segments are really more visual candy, the vault and her exploration of the wastes are where the constant atmospheric visuals are strongest. It's perhaps the trickiest part, how well she translates the smartening up on the outside element of the character is going to be key.

The Brotherhood character feels like the weakest after two hours and I'm not really vibing with some of the BoS tweaks so far.

I will say that I'm not entirely sure how ... accessible ... this feels for viewers not already familiar with the universe. There's not much handholding for newcomers to the IP, you're pretty much thrown right in and there's not been much (any?) exposition to fill in the blanks.

The first two hours don't have us running away by any means, time will tell how we feel after the first season is completed.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:32 AM   #4515
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched through ep 5. In addition to the quest, a couple additional mysteries have been setup.

Agree they did a good job in the props including inside the Vault. My most recent Fallout is FO76 with nice, lush, WV vegetation, so I don't remember the desert being so omnipresent. I like seeing the familiar Gulpers, Rad Roaches, Yao guai etc. And of course, dog meat and the weapons used.

Some nits. There was one thing they portrayed about the T-60 armor that is not right. I understand they did it for the "situation" but it was a bad decision IMO (and unnecessary). I'm not sure I like the Knight-Squire dynamics portrayed and don't remember that from the older games. Some of the jokes are not what I consider in the spirit of Fallout e.g. the "pimple" joke seems way, way off.

But overall, still enjoying it. I hope it gets better. I can see multiple seasons.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:45 AM   #4516
Bobble
College Prospect

Anybody else watch Loudermilk with Ron Livingstone, Brian Regan, Will Sasso, et al.? I really enjoyed it. It's a grumpy old man show somewhat similar to Curb Your Enthusiasm, I guess. The main character is a counselor for a Walmart-brand Alcoholics Anonymous. Great supporting characters.

Last edited by Bobble : 04-13-2024 at 01:29 PM.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 09:17 AM   #4517
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I’ve watched the first three episodes of Fallout. I think they’ve done a great job capturing the tone of the games. Walter Goggins is great in all things and always a delight and the same holds true here. The actress playing the vault dweller is great. The only thing I am bumping off of is all of the Brotherhood of Steel stuff. The armor looks great and I think they’ve captured the essence of it, I just can’t get a hold of the main character yet and haven’t loved most of the scenes he’s been in.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 03:53 PM   #4518
RainMaker
General Manager

Is the show serious or kind of campy?
Old 04-12-2024, 04:29 PM   #4519
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Is the show serious or kind of campy?

Mostly serious with a touch of campiness tossed in.

Overall I'm digging it. The wife is watching it despite no idea what Fallout is about.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:31 PM   #4520
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah I'm looking forward to it. It seems like they nailed the aesthetic and Goggins is a personal favorite.
Old 04-13-2024, 01:44 AM   #4521
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Watched Fallout Ep 3 and Ep 4 tonight.

4 feels like the strongest of the first half of S1 by far. And I think the reason might be simple: it pretty much left out the Brotherhood storyline and focused on other things. What replaced it is actually far better I think.

Better dialogue overall probably in E3 and E4.
Old 04-13-2024, 06:27 AM   #4522
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Watched Fallout Ep 3 and Ep 4 tonight.

4 feels like the strongest of the first half of S1 by far. And I think the reason might be simple: it pretty much left out the Brotherhood storyline and focused on other things. What replaced it is actually far better I think.

Better dialogue overall probably in E3 and E4.

Jon, you and I fully aligned on this. I thought episode four was the strongest, too, and figured it was for largely the same reason. I just can’t figure out the Maximus character and keep bumping off him and the whole Brotherhood plot line.

Also, you can never go wrong with Matt Berry even if it’s just voice work.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 08:16 AM   #4523
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Anybody else watch Loudermilk with Ron Livingstone, Brian Regan, Will Sasso, et al.? I really enjoyed it. It's a grumpy old man show somewhat similar to Curb Your Enthusiasm, I guess. The main character is a counselor for a Walmart-brad Alcoholics Anonymous. Great supporting characters.

My wife and I watched this show a few months ago and really enjoyed it! I wish it had more seasons.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 05:55 PM   #4524
Edward64
Head Coach

Finished s1. I hate cliffhangers.

Overall fun, good but not great.

Witcher > WoT > Fallout > Rings

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-14-2024 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-16-2024, 02:13 AM   #4525
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So we wrapped up S1 of the Fallout series on Prime tonight with the last two episodes.

I'm mostly where I was when I commented after E1 & E2: it's good, with a lot of outstanding tiny reference points, but it's short of great.

Maximus (aka the Wish version of Finn) is such a weak link, as is most of the Brotherhood of Steel story arc (including the elder/Dooku). The Ghoul is played with excellence, though his pre-war character is a little cringey once or twice. And Lucy (aka Amata 2, for the gamers out there) is a weirdly okay character that's developing.

I'm not walking away before S2 but at the same time there are MAJOR seeming canonical issues (vs established game lore) raised by a few things in S1.

The most glaring involves the date of "the fall of Shady Sands" on the chalkboard vs the events of Fallout:New Vegas (with specific game dialogue presenting some real problems with that date). They're gonna have to write their butts off to sort that out without breaking some canon.

It's not awful (yet), it's fun to see a lot of the things, and certain parts have tremendous value in how right they feel. But the canonical breaks, those could topple it for me at some point unless they pull a rabbit out of ... an uncomfortable orifice for both them AND the rabbit.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-16-2024 at 02:13 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 05:03 PM   #4526
Atocep
Coordinator

I guess Disney is adding channels with scheduled programming to their streaming platform and acting like this is some innovation.

We're literally going backwards with streaming at this point.
Old 04-16-2024, 05:16 PM   #4527
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
I guess Disney is adding channels with scheduled programming to their streaming platform and acting like this is some innovation.

We're literally going backwards with streaming at this point.

It seems like all/most of the streamng services have added this recently. Prime has a slate of "live" channels that are all basically broadcasting a single show, marathon style as specific playtimes. I don't know who that is supposed to appeal to?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 05:32 PM   #4528
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
It seems like all/most of the streamng services have added this recently. Prime has a slate of "live" channels that are all basically broadcasting a single show, marathon style as specific playtimes. I don't know who that is supposed to appeal to?

Seems like what Pluto is. I've tried it but they ran so many ads that it's near impossible to watch.
Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM   #4529
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

I suspect they are trying to provide a way for folks to 'channel surf'. I think there is a common complaint with streaming services in that sometimes folks sit down without knowing in advance what they plan to watch and the choice is overwhelming and they eventually choose to watch nothing. In the old days you'd just surf channels and land on something and often end up roped in, and I suspect data shows that is missing.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM   #4530
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

There needs to be a random option in these apps. Like maybe I want to watch an episode of New Girl because I'm bored and need background nose, but I don't want to have to just randomly pick myself. Or I can create a group of shows I like and hit random from that. I don't trust their algorithms as far as "here's a show you'll like..."

It's basically become paralysis from too many options. With all the episodes sitting there, it's just too much effort to feel like you have to power through it. At least in the olden days it was an episode a week. It's just too easy to burn out on a lot of these shows midway through.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM   #4531
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

I'm guessing they are hoping to counteract the Roku effect. And any other "free" services that have dozens and dozens of channels streaming pre-programmed content that can't be recorded or even paused.

I have YTTV yet I spend an inordinate amount of time on Roku Channel's block of true crime channels. Although it absolutely sucks when I want to pause or I see something playing a few hours later that I have no way of watching now or later.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote