Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > Dark Cloud's Personal Playground
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

SLOPpy FIRSTS - A look at the stars of the new league

Well, it's a new league. With any new universe, there are lots of names to get acquainted with. Before all of the stats were cleared and there was some history, we at least had stats to go on. Now? It's all about the ratings babyee...

So with that, this series is going to explore some of the guys out on the market who might be worth watching as we go forward in this first season of SLOP.

OF Kelvin Boyd
25-year old stud who is demanding big time bucks. Is this guy represented by Scott Boras or what?! Hits for average, a bit of pop but isn't going to hit 50 HRs for you. Still, a solid right fielder with extreme base stealing skills. It's no wonder that teams are salivating at the possibilities he brings to the table. The question is, do you pay 1/5th of your salary or more on him? Some teams will decide and we will soon find out I'm sure.

SP Nelson Remedios
This 28-year old righty has an arsenal of four pitches -- three of them that are lights out -- electric stuff and above average control to boot. Everyone knows the key to a title in fast-sim starts and ends with a strong rotation. Remedios sits on the market waiting to be snapped up, but the question owners will have to ask is whether he can deliver them to the promised land to the tune of 20-25 wins per season. Otherwise, do you take the plunge?

SP Juan Martinez
23-year right hander who has to be on-paper as the best potential pitcher in the game. He's the right age, boasts strong control, stuff and movement. Has three solid pitches too. The only real question-mark is whether he can give you long innings, because his stamina seems fit for a team that plans to have a bullpen backing him up after 6-7 innings.

J.P. Mallett
28-year old righty who has to earn the title of "my favorite player so far." That's mostly because I recognize him more than anything else. If I recall, he joined the majors as an 18-year old hotshot right out of high school, luckily fast-sim doesn't come with those breakdown issues that you'd have to worry about with injuries. Still, where does he fit in a rotation? With his control being average, he's a solid 2nd or 3rd starter. His haul? Seems focused on ace money though.

Our last feature of this first-go round is:

OF Justin Gorman
22-year old southpaw who will give other teams fits with him in your batting order. Strong defender who will strikeout some, has some speed on the basepaths to boot. Given how young he is, could anchor a squad for many years to come, which would be a healthy asset. The question is, do you lock him up or wait it out and see how he performs before his next payday?

Tomorrow we'll feature some of the new minor leaguers that teams will be stocked with upon the next file release.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-08-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
ShoelessJ03
High School JV

Funny, 'cause I think so far J.P. Mailet is the most recognizable name for me too.

I like him, but I dunno if I want to pay him the big money he is asking for.

Join Here: http://fantasy.nfl.com/registration/...eagueId=391368
League ID: 391368
League Password: provided on request
ShoelessJ03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoelessJ03 View Post
Funny, 'cause I think so far J.P. Mailet is the most recognizable name for me too.

I like him, but I dunno if I want to pay him the big money he is asking for.

Hehe...looks like you're gonna be! Congrats. He looks like a stud.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
ShoelessJ03
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Hehe...looks like you're gonna be! Congrats. He looks like a stud.

haha I just saw that. That's cool though. He was the first player that stood out to me when I combed through the file.

We're happy to have him on the roster.

BTW, what's the salary cap?

Old 11-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

$100 million is the salary cap in this league, financials are consistent across the years like in the other league, so it's not set for any inflation and the cap isn't ever designed to increase. I've been testing it for a few versions now and it seems to be a good sweet spot.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
ShoelessJ03
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
$100 million is the salary cap in this league, financials are consistent across the years like in the other league, so it's not set for any inflation and the cap isn't ever designed to increase. I've been testing it for a few versions now and it seems to be a good sweet spot.

Sounds good to me. I thought I had seen somewhere the cap was set to 100 mil.

I just wanted to be sure before I went crazy with contract offers. haha

Old 11-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

With just two FA periods left before we get ready to kick off spring training and the season, let's take a look at some other hotly contest guys that everyone will want to get their hands on.

SP Roy Bickford 26-year old righty with four strong pitches and high stamina to boot. He's is damn good and is at the right age that I think we're going to be hearing about this guy should he end up on the right ballclub this season.

SP Will Allen I looked at him and thought "ok, well he's got five pitches, but not much stamina and yet...he's a starter. Okay, fine. But then I saw that he's ONLY 20 YEARS OLD. Holy cow. We're talking four more years of possible development?! Not sure what his asking price is, but you gotta look at that and think that he's got future potential written all over him. I bet he's still a FA because more than one team has an offer in on him???

SS Gary Horton
At 30-years old you'd have to feel like Horton was getting a bit long in the tooth. Still, this shortstop boasts solid power, speed and can competently play a very difficult position to fill on a baseball team. He's no A-Rod, but you have to think he'd look good wearing the uniform of a contender.

3B Dwayne Baggett

Poor Dwayne doesn't even have a photo yet. But should you sign this 26-year old switch hitter, you two will get acquainted quickly. He hits for average, has strong power and can play 2B and SS as well. You can best believe that he'll be a guy that should be considered by many to plug a spot in their infield.

SLOPpy SECONDS - The Honorable Mentions
CF Eric Hensley (23)

LF Dick Guthrie (30)

CL Logan Becker (31)
Old 11-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
Ramzavail
College Starter

Will Allen has been OK. Now his potential is down, starting to think he might not be that good.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote