Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-28-2023, 07:26 AM   #751
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Stillers getting Joey Porter Jr seems so obvious, right?

I think so. He’s a legacy guy from Penn State that plays their biggest position of need. Steelers don’t have the greatest track record of taking/developing corners and I think fans, at least, seem a little leery wondering why he slipped. Fans would have had zero issue with him going pick 17 yesterday, though. I think they will take him, though. Tomlin seems to get attached to guys that have visited a lot.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 07:27 AM   #752
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So how far does Will Levis fall?

Not much further.

Nice if he would fall to Falcons at 2.13.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:34 AM   #753
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I saw an evaluation by someone on Twitter (Doug Farrar maybe) that had Carson Wentz as the comp for Levis. Off the charts athletic but unable to run an offense that wasn't laid out for him down-by-down. And it showed this past year - OC who he had success with left, and the next guy was unable to bring Levis back up to that level. Sounds a lot like Wentz who was great in a specific offense and hasn't found anyone who did for him what they were able to do in Philly.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:40 AM   #754
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And despite the trade both managed to take players that have character/ football character questions.

I think there's a good chance both teams just wasted their picks.

Day after articles on Wright brought the work ethic issues up. Sounds like the Bears staff basically worked the guy to death during private workouts, wanting to see if he'd break/quit. He didn't. Think that sold them on him.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:53 AM   #755
tzach
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I’m really interested in how the Steelers play this. Their new GM already seems more aggressive about going to get what he wants. I think Porter Jr. and Branch seemed acceptable at #17, but one of those TEs + Jones in the first would really transform the offense quite a bit. If they could drop down 4 or 5 spots and maybe regain the fourth they traded away, that would be pretty nice. I think there have to be some teams kicking the tires on that pick for Hooker or Levis

I’d like to see them get one of the two ILBs (Simpson or Sanders) with their other 2nd. I think they need an ILB about as bad as anything and I’ve been wondering if they may try to get Devin White from Tampa - they liked him a lot the year he was drafted, but couldn’t move up high enough to get him and ended up with Bush, who got hurt and was a bust.

I love the move to get Broderick Jones and it seems possible that we could end up with two more guys that could get serious playing time next season.

apparently there's questions about jp jr's playmaking and motor. the steelers highly coveted darnell washington and have increasing usage of 122 personnel, so i wouldn't discount that possibility.

michael mayer looks like the real deal though, but the steelers didn't bring him in for a visit and only sent an area scout to the pro day. maybe they thought the guy wouldn't be available in the 2nd.

i'd guess they would try to trade down a few spots and still grab one of the three. they would trade down as far as ATL or WAS if a 3rd this yr + fut 2nd is involved, i'd guess.
tzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:55 AM   #756
Ksyrup

This sounds like a plan. At least a better plan than trading for Russell Wilson...

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-28-2023, 08:57 AM   #757
tzach
High School JV

Quote:
Stillers getting Joey Porter Jr seems so obvious, right?

i personally hope they pass on him and take one of the 2 top TEs that are still available. i think there's valuable info on other teams passing on porter, and the steelers track record of drafting DBs is abysmal. it's a deep class -- they can get their project DB in the 3rd
Old 04-28-2023, 09:19 AM   #758
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
This sounds like a plan. At least a better plan than trading for Russell Wilson...

I don't know - if he goes to Denver, I don't know if his dad will come see him play.

One of my favorite YouTube videos ever (warning - need to have sound, but it is a little bit loud):

"They shot me in Denver!"
Old 04-28-2023, 09:32 AM   #759
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzach View Post
apparently there's questions about jp jr's playmaking and motor. the steelers highly coveted darnell washington and have increasing usage of 122 personnel, so i wouldn't discount that possibility.

michael mayer looks like the real deal though, but the steelers didn't bring him in for a visit and only sent an area scout to the pro day. maybe they thought the guy wouldn't be available in the 2nd.

i'd guess they would try to trade down a few spots and still grab one of the three. they would trade down as far as ATL or WAS if a 3rd this yr + fut 2nd is involved, i'd guess.

I think you may be right on Porter Jr., but the question is how big of a ding does he get? At least enough to go from mid-teens out of the first round, but at some point I assume he becomes a good value despite his flaws. There are some 2nd round worthy CBs that seem like they may be there at 49 (Ringo, Brents, and Stevenson).

If they go tight end, it will be interesting. It seems like Mayer is the better overall prospect, but Washington may be more in line with what they are trying to do with the run game and it seems like Mayer may be a little more like Friermuth, while Washington is just unique in size and athleticism. At his point, I would be happy with JPjr, Branch, either of the TEs, or trading down 4-8 spots and hoping one of those guys slides.

Really hoping for Sanders or Simpson at 49, but I don't know if either make it there. Sanders, in particular, seems like the type of freak that we need up the middle.

I'd assume the Steelers, being the Steelers, will also be looking at the DE from GT, since they seem to love pass rushers despite the percentage of cap that will be going to Watt and Highsmith once contracts are finalized (Highsmith seems certain to get an extension, based on the front office comments about him).
Old 04-28-2023, 11:15 AM   #760
Ksyrup

Looks like the Lions are shopping Swift, which makes sense given the first pick yesterday.
Old 04-28-2023, 11:24 AM   #761
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don’t trust any defensive back we draft.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 12:18 PM   #762
tzach
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I don’t trust any defensive back we draft.

this. the track record has been abysmal.

i forgot to mention DT Benton above, who apparently is slated to go high in the 2nd. steelers have spent some time on him during the offseason. Cam heyward will fall off a cliff sometime soon. i'd trust the steelers scouting DTs a lot more than DBs.
Old 04-28-2023, 12:23 PM   #763
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Like I’d use 32 to trade for Budda Baker if he’s still available. Even if we have to give up another 2nd next year. Or draft a DT or TE. But no DB in the draft.
Old 04-28-2023, 12:51 PM   #764
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

WHat in the name of God is up with Will Levis putting mayo in his coffee?
Old 04-28-2023, 02:20 PM   #765
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

You really got you one, Colts fans:
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 02:21 PM   #766
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am looking at this from my personal POV with little knowledge of how these things go but I have to wonder what team told Will Levis they were drafting him in the first round and did not. To me, the only reason to go to the draft and especially to be in the green room is the knowledge that you will be say a top ten or top fifteen pick. This is especially the case if you are a QB. Maybe there is a culture of players just going to enjoy the draft atmosphere like there is in the NBA that I don't know about. I just don't see the need to show the nation my "character" as the cameras pans to me and my family as pick after pick goes by. The highlight of the Levis family from last night are not ideal as far as I could tell.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 02:28 PM   #767
Ksyrup

I thought that whole process of who shows up for the green room was based on the NFL's consensus that certain players will be drafted in the 1st round, mainly determined for the TV production. But I have no idea who does it or with what precision. Certainly, Levis has been discussed as a top 10 pick since last August, so it may be as unscientific as reading the lice in Mel Kiper's Hair.
Old 04-28-2023, 02:31 PM   #768
GrantDawg

Quote:
I thought that whole process of who shows up for the green room was based on the NFL's consensus that certain players will be drafted in the 1st round, mainly determined for the TV production. But I have no idea who does it or with what precision. Certainly, Levis has been discussed as a top 10 pick since last August, so it may be as unscientific as reading the lice in Mel Kiper's Hair.
Pete Brisco said he thought he would go second, but that he should be first overall.
Old 04-28-2023, 02:48 PM   #769
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Two words:

Cody Mauch
Old 04-28-2023, 03:01 PM   #770
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

There was definitely something in place. I remember a Notre Dame QB (Jimmy Clausen?) going to Roger Goodall's suite because he spent forever in the green room. I think a lot of guys decided to stay home after that just in case. I am not sure that it is any better having the cameras in your house tbh. I don't know what can be done without exposing teams to having the player they want leaked. It is just seems like the NFL flew him out to New York and then all of a sudden, walked him into the Maury Povich Show studios to find out if he is the father.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 03:13 PM   #771
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I feel like Levis has been a game by Kiper to see how high he could get a mediocre college QB drafted. It seems like there is a huge gap in what NFL front offices see in him and what Mel Kiper and some other draft experts see. I've never seen why he was hyped so much.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 05:41 PM   #772
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The Saints had a boring and expected first round. Which is actually nice considering their propensity to trade up and overdraft someone. It is nice to have not lost any picks of next year so far.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 05:57 PM   #773
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
The Saints had a boring and expected first round. Which is actually nice considering their propensity to trade up and overdraft someone. It is nice to have not lost any picks of next year so far.

Doesn't Philly have their 2nd rounder next year?
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 06:38 PM   #774
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If the saints wanna trade their 1st next year for #32 please call
Old 04-28-2023, 06:48 PM   #775
GrantDawg

Falcons trade up to take what scouts call a possible Pro-Bowl level run blocker to probably slot right into the LG spot. They are going all in on the run game.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2023, 07:03 PM   #776
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So Stroud to the Texans, Richardson to the Colts, and Levis to the Titans. Not to mention you have Lawrence with the Jaguars.

That's a lot of QB potential in the AFC South.
Old 04-28-2023, 07:04 PM   #777
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe the Colts will actually make this pick...
Old 04-28-2023, 07:28 PM   #778
Thomkal
Head Coach

Happy my beloved Cards keep picking up picks and with the guy they got in the second round too.
Old 04-28-2023, 07:31 PM   #779
Swaggs
Coordinator

Can’t believe Simpson, Sanders, and Washington all made it past the Steelers at 49.
Old 04-28-2023, 07:32 PM   #780
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Can’t believe Simpson, Sanders, and Washington all made it past the Steelers at 49.

Dola, I feel like 90% sure the Ravens are going to end up with one of those linebackers and I’ll have to watch them 2-3 times a year for the next 5-10 years.
Old 04-28-2023, 07:52 PM   #781
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
So Stroud to the Texans, Richardson to the Colts, and Levis to the Titans. Not to mention you have Lawrence with the Jaguars.

That's a lot of QB potential in the AFC South.
The disparity between AFC and NFC becomes ever larger with these picks, particularly when you look at both the established talent and the guys with some decent upside.

AFC
Lamar
Josh Allen
Burrow
Watson
Russ
CJ Stroud
Anthony Richardson
Lawrence
Mahomes
Jimmy G
Tua
McCorkle Jones
Rodgers
Pickett
Levis (Tannehill for now?)

NFC
Ridder
Colt McCoy (Kyler when healthy)
Bryce Young
Fields
Dak
Goff
Jordan Love
Stafford
Cousins
Carr
Daniel Jones
Hurts
Purdy/Lance
Geno
Baker?/Trask
Howell (Brissett?)
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 07:53 PM   #782
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

How many of these "fans" are paid by the NFL to celebrate every pick?
Old 04-28-2023, 07:57 PM   #783
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Why did the interviewer ask Will Levis about how he eats his bananas?
Old 04-28-2023, 08:04 PM   #784
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

If the Bears were gonna trade up a few picks, think I woulda preferred Schmitz. They badly need a center.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:07 PM   #785
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I understand what the Bengals are doing, but I never like the plan of drafting for a couple of years away. They have drafted a #4 DE and a #4 corner. In a couple of years they will both start, but they won't provide much this year.
Old 04-28-2023, 08:36 PM   #786
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
Doesn't Philly have their 2nd rounder next year?

Yes. I just meant this draft.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:36 PM   #787
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Why did the interviewer ask Will Levis about how he eats his bananas?

There was a story that he eats the peel to go with the putting mayo in his coffee.
Old 04-28-2023, 08:45 PM   #788
Edward64
Head Coach

Happy that Drew Sanders landed at Denver.
Old 04-28-2023, 09:21 PM   #789
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Devon Achane is apparently the consensus RB 3/4/5/6/7 in this draft... but I'm not buying it. He's going to run like a gazelle, right? How does he last and fall down into round three or whatever? I know, I know, about the wiseguy opinion on running backs and draft capital and all that.

I'm taking this kid.

Love him to the Dolphins. Was an easy forecast but glad it fell into place.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 08:00 AM   #790
Edward64
Head Coach

Also happy the Commanders picked Ricky Stromberg. Com’on Bumper Pool
Old 04-29-2023, 08:31 AM   #791
Bobble
College Prospect

Seems like an extra weird draft this year. Maybe it's just me 'cause I follow the Lions. Trades faster than they can display them, "reaches" and "fell to them"s everywhere. Kind of a wild ride.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 08:57 AM   #792
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

We can all agree Anthony Richardson's brother isn't 13 or his brother, right? It's some sort of mini-me situation? Kid has a neck tattoo.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 11:17 AM   #793
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Eagles grab another Georgia Bulldog.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 12:17 PM   #794
QuikSand
lolzcat

Deandre Swift traded to the Eagles, presumably for a bag of chips. Whatever, Lions, I'm sure you guys know what you're doing over there, based on your laundry's track record of success.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 12:42 PM   #795
Swaggs
Coordinator

Steelers add LB Nick Herbig in the 4th. They had signed guard Nate Herbig from the Eagles a few weeks ago. That gives them another set of siblings to go with the Watts and Heywards.
Old 04-29-2023, 01:44 PM   #796
Thomkal
Head Coach

I wondered if the Cards would draft a QB given their current situation with Murray. No idea if Clayton Tune from Houston is any good but at least he's healthy.
Old 04-29-2023, 02:19 PM   #797
Atocep
Coordinator

Poles is really focused on speed and athleticism in this draft. I still think they're a year away from being serious playoff contenders, but it's nice to see a GM that values picks and seems to have a plan.

Last edited by Atocep : 04-29-2023 at 06:17 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 03:13 PM   #798
Thomkal
Head Coach

Heh this is pretty funny/cool: New QB Clayton's Tune great great uncle was the Cardinals first ever draft pick in 1936!
Old 04-29-2023, 04:02 PM   #799
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm glad Stetson Bennett is getting a shot.

So the Rams now have Matthew Stafford and ... Bennett?
Old 04-29-2023, 04:36 PM   #800
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I'm glad Stetson Bennett is getting a shot.

So the Rams now have Matthew Stafford and ... Bennett?

I read that he and Stafford have a good relationship (Bennett was probably a freshman during Stafford’s last year).

I love the Deuce Vaughn pick by Dallas. I feel like he has a good chance to play in the NFL for awhile.

Also, love the Dorian Thompson-Robinson pick by Cleveland. He is a solid player.