Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-23-2007, 09:10 PM   #201
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post
But if I take control of the expansion using "act as" (didn't think about this option), I will be able to draft the team, but I don't think this still makes me the GM. They are not in the availalble jobs. Maybe that would be available after the draft.

Has anyone tried this?

I added a new manager and selected him to start as the GM of one of the expansion teams on the day before the expansion draft and it all worked ok.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:17 PM   #202
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post

Except, as I said over there, Icy. That's only for ALL teams. Yours will still PM you with every nohoper no matter what
Old 03-23-2007, 09:51 PM   #203
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
It sounds it's keeping the same era on but since it's not a recalc, I wonder how it handles that? If no recalc, I suppose one has to switch to a different era at a desired time.

I'm not so sure about that. I think recalc only affects players' current and potential ratings. My latest career is up to 1930 now and I haven't touched a thing but I'm seeing the difference in homers. I guess I'd have to stop it to say for sure, but I think it is progressing through eras quite nicely without me doing a thing.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-23-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:55 PM   #204
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
What is the recalc everyone keeps talking about?

My understanding of it is that it uses one of the databases (that you download) to adjust a player's ratings from year to year as well as their position. So, Babe Ruth will come into the game as a pitcher, but will switch to a dominant hitter at the right time. Mike Schmidt had a somewhat poor rookie year, but the game won't penalize him for that because it will recalculate his ratings in later years to make him more likely to hit well in his 2nd and subsequent years.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:36 PM   #205
bhlloy
Coordinator

I downloaded the try-and-buy, and the game is pretty intimidating to be honest. There just seems to be so much going on that I have no idea where to start. I thought that the "realistic" scouting option might be fun, that didn't last long when I didn't have a clue how good half the players on my team were.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:38 PM   #206
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - in previous versions of OOTP one of the first things I would do would be see who was too high and too low in the organization via the minor league report. Well, this time my entire AA, A and Rookie squads should be somewhere else. I might just shut my eyes and play ahead. Is there a recommend button that will put all these young kids where my scouts think they should be?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:42 PM   #207
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ootpmodsquad.com/mods/qui...07v2.quick.rar

For those of you like me, who want Icy's great setup, via a quickstart. Thanks to bp_ for this Fictional MLB 2007 Quickstart!

I'm going to draft my team and then create my own universe. Spring training is a great way to learn my team and the rest of the league before the games really count.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-23-2007 at 11:16 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:06 PM   #208
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

File link's not good, Mizzou

I think you mean this?

Last edited by SirFozzie : 03-23-2007 at 11:07 PM.
SirFozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:10 PM   #209
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I downloaded the try-and-buy, and the game is pretty intimidating to be honest. There just seems to be so much going on that I have no idea where to start. I thought that the "realistic" scouting option might be fun, that didn't last long when I didn't have a clue how good half the players on my team were.

They have 3 Quickstarts if you just want to jump in and get started. I would have liked more quickstarts, with logos, etc., but they leave that for the community.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:17 PM   #210
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
File link's not good, Mizzou

I think you mean this?

Fixed my link as well, thanks!

It's so nice to just jump right in without having to do logos, facegen, ballparks, etc!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:23 PM   #211
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

You and me both...

My head hurts. Oy....
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:26 PM   #212
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Good grief.

Been playing around for the past few hours, starting a test historical league just to get used to where things are. It's going to take a while to get used to that. I am constantly searching for things, knowing that it could be anywhere. I am making constant use of the tiny 'back' arrow since I don't know how to close some screens, esp. if I go into a report. I still say there's too much information presented when simming, esp. when it goes by too fast. And I would also say that this version has taken a step backwards from OOTP4 and OOTP5 in regards to output reports. That's almost a deal-breaker for me but I think some of the new (and newer) features and functions make up for it.

One of the frustrating things was something new I wanted to try. I went into "watching" a game, giving control of the strategy to someone. I couldn't slow down the game in webcast mode and none of the buttons on the bottom (Quick Play options) work consistently. I think because the sim was churning along that it didn't have time to check for a click event. It was frustrating because I couldn't get out of it and I couldn't enjoy it because it was too fast to read (after I had started it).

I think I got most of the options covered since I did read the manual over the past two days but it was more of a matter of getting all of the screens.

Finally, how in the world do you advance to the next stage in the off-season? The only thing I could do is to constantly hit 'Finish Day'. I also had no idea what screen I would like to be on since no matter what I chose, it was the wrong one.

In a way, it's a good thing I'm gone on vacation for a week. Probably need to give this a rest and wait for more information and experience from others.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:29 PM   #213
vtbub
College Starter

This version, Bucc, looks like it goes year round. There is really no off-seson per se.

I think that you will like this in time, I quick simmed 15 years of early 20's baseball during the first game tonight.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:15 AM   #214
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

major annoyance: how come I can't use the keyboard arrows to scroll up+down through news items? it's driving me insane!!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:16 AM   #215
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholes View Post
I started in 1901 with the Gambo database. Used the import one for the initial draft, then switched to the yearly one for every season after that.

I can't even start upa damn historical wiht this DB. Evry time I try to import the second yearly import it crashes to desk top. When and how do you "switched to the yearly one for every season after that" Is it after you create the league and g into the import rosters?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:28 AM   #216
Scholes
High School Varsity

I have two stats folders set up, one called "statsimport" for importing the first season, then "stats" for every other season.

After the league has been created with the statsimport rosters the rosters have been imported and then you can change the path. Go into Game Setup, league setup and then rules:

Change it to stats, or whatever your yearly one is and get after it.

Have you made any other changes that would maybe cause it to crash? Editing rosters, interleague play, etc?
Scholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:07 AM   #217
Terps
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post
But if I take control of the expansion using "act as" (didn't think about this option), I will be able to draft the team, but I don't think this still makes me the GM. They are not in the availalble jobs. Maybe that would be available after the draft.

Has anyone tried this?

When I messed around with expansion, the 2 teams I added showed up in Available Jobs, but they were listed towards the bottom with the Single A teams for some reason.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:53 AM   #218
Marc Duffy
SI Games

We've added an interface tutorial to www.ootpbaseball.net

Not sure if that will help some of you get around these first few days but worth investing 10 mins of your time to have a watch.
Marc Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:11 AM   #219
Marc Duffy
SI Games

We've also added Paypal as a payment option to our PC store http://www.elicense.com/sigames/store/
Marc Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:20 AM   #220
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
I am making constant use of the tiny 'back' arrow since I don't know how to close some screens, esp. if I go into a report.

You don't need to 'close' screens... just continue browsing. I suggest bookmarking your favorite places!

Quote:
And I would also say that this version has taken a step backwards from OOTP4 and OOTP5 in regards to output reports.

I don't understand what you mean really? There are way more reports & better ones. All the reports are HTML sites inside the game, and you can navigate them via the hyper-links just like an internet browser.

Check the league menu, there is a reports sub menu with all the league reports. Also, each team has a report page where you can select the team reports.

Quote:

One of the frustrating things was something new I wanted to try. I went into "watching" a game, giving control of the strategy to someone. I couldn't slow down the game in webcast mode and none of the buttons on the bottom (Quick Play options) work consistently.

Go to the options tab when in the game screen, there you can set the play-by-play speed. When watching a game, the quicksim buttons only work when the game is pasues after a play.

Quote:

Finally, how in the world do you advance to the next stage in the off-season? The only thing I could do is to constantly hit 'Finish Day'. I also had no idea what screen I would like to be on since no matter what I chose, it was the wrong one.

The menu with the baseball, next to the game menu, contains sim options, including events. For example after the playoffs, you can see & sim to the upcoming offseason events, i.e. when players become FA or the winter meetings.

Give it some time... once you got the hang of it you'll find navigating this game way faster than any other versions before
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:34 AM   #221
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:

In a way, it's a good thing I'm gone on vacation for a week. Probably need to give this a rest and wait for more information and experience from others.

Bottom left corner next to Manager is a house which represents the Manager Home Page. I do everything from there -- review roster/lineups, click play/finish today, view reports/history. I always come back to the Manager Home Page as my starting point.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:50 AM   #222
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn

Sorry, but all works properly here. Make sure your manager options are set so you control all aspects of the minors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts View Post
What do you mean by this? I only have 1 choice as a minor league manager --in team control settings under manager options, I have "Setting Lineups/Depth/Pitching Staff" set to me. The other choices are the San Francisco GM. I don't even have an option to change the other team control settings.

Anyone here can tell me what I'm doing wrong? My minor league lineups keep getting rearranged, usually after the Major League GM makes roster changes. I have myself selected for setting lineups.

Last edited by Fouts : 03-24-2007 at 03:51 AM.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:56 AM   #223
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Anyone here can tell me what I'm doing wrong? My minor league lineups keep getting rearranged, usually after the Major League GM makes roster changes. I have myself selected for setting lineups.

It is indeed a bug. Do this for now:
1) Enable the commsih mode (manager options screen)
2) Go to your team home screen, then click the tab "Ballpark & options".
3) Check the box that says "Prevent AI roster moves"
4) Should you leave the team (fired, promotion), please uncheck that box again
That fixes your problem for now.

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn : 03-24-2007 at 03:58 AM.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 04:04 AM   #224
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Cool, Markus.

Now get to coding something to prevent me from getting interrupted every day in a sim because Joe Nohoper learned how to throw the ball within 10 feet of the plate, without making me turn all PM's off!
Old 03-24-2007, 04:15 AM   #225
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
It is indeed a bug. Do this for now:
1) Enable the commsih mode (manager options screen)
2) Go to your team home screen, then click the tab "Ballpark & options".
3) Check the box that says "Prevent AI roster moves"
4) Should you leave the team (fired, promotion), please uncheck that box again
That fixes your problem for now.

Thanks for the acknowledgement. I am leary to do what you suggest, because I want players moved in and out of single A ball. While I am certain this fixes my problem with lineups rearranged, it sounds like the players will be stuck at their league levels (A, AA, etc.). I may just wait for the patch.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:32 AM   #226
JPhillips
General Manager

A few more issues.

1) There are too many top prospects that start in the free agent pool. By opening day at least 25% of the BA Top 100 prospects started as free agents. I'm using Icy's template, so that may be the problem.

2) I still think scout error between SISA and team scouts is too high. The free agent prospects are a good example. SISA didn't see any potential ratings above ten, but my scout and obviously other teams scouts and the prospect list saw a number of them as can't miss studs. SISA seems to be completely useless when dealing with prospects.

3) This is a small thing. I saw a guy injured for 13 months and the text said something like, "At least it isn't too serious and I won't miss many games."
Old 03-24-2007, 08:38 AM   #227
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholes View Post
I have two stats folders set up, one called "statsimport" for importing the first season, then "stats" for every other season.

After the league has been created with the statsimport rosters the rosters have been imported and then you can change the path. Go into Game Setup, league setup and then rules:

Change it to stats, or whatever your yearly one is and get after it.

Have you made any other changes that would maybe cause it to crash? Editing rosters, interleague play, etc?

Thanks for that it worked when I did it that way. Also, does anyone know how to type in capital letters in the game for things like files names or managers names. When I use my keyboard capital key nothing happens . It isn't a big deal except if I can't put the DB path in becuz it has acapital letter. Thanks.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:07 AM   #228
Scravenger
n00b

Quote:
Thanks for the acknowledgement. I am leary to do what you suggest, because I want players moved in and out of single A ball. While I am certain this fixes my problem with lineups rearranged, it sounds like the players will be stuck at their league levels (A, AA, etc.). I may just wait for the patch.

I will do as well. It's impossible to play with the rosters always changing, and impossible to play if the players never change league levels... I just hope that a patch that correct that will come fast... I really want to play that wonderful game
Scravenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:31 AM   #229
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Can someone walk me through setting up and using the Almanac properly? This has me frustrated to no end. And I've read the help file 10+ times, and it still doesn't make any sense.

I have simmed from 1920 thorugh 2006. All I want to do is create an Almanac that gives me the league history for my league, because as I understand, it allows me to see things (like box scores) that I can't access with just the history function. I didn't touch the Almanac options when I created the league, since I recall SD or someone mentioning that they didn't realize they only needed to generate the Almanac at the end of their simming, not every year. So I left it alone.

Now it's 2006, and I created the Almanac. First, I was unable to access it after I generated it, which was confusing. But I did what I normally do when I can't figure something out, I just simmed ahead to the next year, and there it was. When I view Almanac 2006, however, I can't view anything but the league page. No history pages are available for viewing at all. Was I supposed to mess with the Almanac setting way back in 1920 to be able to see these, or do something else that I can't understand from the help file? I don't know, and I can't tell. All I know is I have no Almanac history to view, even though I generated the Almanac.

So, can someone please walk me (us) through the Almanac function to properly generate a full league history (players, leagues, box scores, etc.) for decades of a league's history that I've simmed?

Also, once that has been properly created, if I then sim forward, how do I "update" that Almanac? Do I have to keep creating a new, yearly (or periodic) Almanac to update the league history I can see through the Almanac? And if so, won't that quickly take up boatloads of space? Do I delete the old one?

As you can see...some help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-24-2007 at 09:33 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:49 AM   #230
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Cool! I'm looking through my stats from the last 60 years (I apparently messed up and only had it sim until 1960 instead of 80 like I wanted) and the game definitely adjusted hitting for the various eras without recalc on. Dead ball era early, plenty of homers in the 50's in particular. Also, using the Gambo database, Babe Ruth came into the league as a hitter instead of a pitcher which was nice. I didn't have real teams drafting players and he went 5th overall to the St. Louis Browns where he spent 20 years but was often injured and only ended up with 430 homers.

Right now Duke Snyder is having a very impressive career and is the career home run leader with 543 (he's still active.)

Despite Babe's injuries robbing him of some power, he is the career hits leader with 3561.

Lou Gehrig was often injured but still hit .323 for his career with 412 homers and 1800 plus RBI's.

So far, Bert Daniels has had the best game generated SB season with 102 in 1912.

Walter Johnson had the most peculiar career. He was a dominant pitcher in the league for 3 years, then for no obvious reason he just lost it. 2 years later he retired.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:06 AM   #231
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I didn't have real teams drafting players

where do you find this option to change it??
Old 03-24-2007, 10:16 AM   #232
rowech
Pro Starter

Again....wondering what this recalc option is.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:21 AM   #233
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Again....wondering what this recalc option is.

Post #204?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:36 AM   #234
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

i just finished a test historical career from 46-68 (war to expansion).

the red sox played in 9 world series, including 6 out of 7 years at one point.

ZERO world series wins. 0-9. Some things don't change.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:44 AM   #235
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen View Post
i just finished a test historical career from 46-68 (war to expansion).

the red sox played in 9 world series, including 6 out of 7 years at one point.

ZERO world series wins. 0-9. Some things don't change.

and I won a WS with the americans (precursors to the sox) in 1903. Setting up a powerhouse team.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:48 AM   #236
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Anyone know how to make a custom view when scrolling through players on your team or in the draft with batting ratings and fielding ratings showing at the same time?
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:49 AM   #237
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
You don't need to 'close' screens... just continue browsing. I suggest bookmarking your favorite places!

I don't understand what you mean really? There are way more reports & better ones. All the reports are HTML sites inside the game, and you can navigate them via the hyper-links just like an internet browser.

Check the league menu, there is a reports sub menu with all the league reports. Also, each team has a report page where you can select the team reports.

Go to the options tab when in the game screen, there you can set the play-by-play speed. When watching a game, the quicksim buttons only work when the game is pasues after a play.

The menu with the baseball, next to the game menu, contains sim options, including events. For example after the playoffs, you can see & sim to the upcoming offseason events, i.e. when players become FA or the winter meetings.

Give it some time... once you got the hang of it you'll find navigating this game way faster than any other versions before

Thank you. Right now, I don't have enough information to know how to bookmark. In time though.

As far as reports, I make them for my logs/notebook and for clear, concise dynasty reporting. Here a report that I love from the earlier version but a similar report now gives me too much information, esp. trying to print one one page.

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...&postcount=351

On the game speed, I didn't know that it would work only when paused. I assume I can go back to the options when paused and slow down or speed up?

I don't think I knew about the "baseball' menu since I thought it was for decoration because it had no menu name like the others. I'll take a look at that.

One of the things I thought about overnight was the setup. I thought the wizard was good but then I realized after exploring that there were some key settings I needed to go back and make because they were not in the wizard. I think it may have been best to use the Advanced Setup screens (similar to previous versions) so I don't miss anything like financials and stuff.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:02 AM   #238
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Post #204?

Damn...sorry...missed it somehow.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:05 AM   #239
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

I understand now that there is a tracker for this since it appears that even trying to click the Pause after play button only works sporadically.

Quote:
I never thought so many people would even watch games

That's an interesting comment and I would agree with you. However, over the past few years, I have come to love GameCenter at cbs.sportsline, for both baseball and football. When I saw SION Webcast, I knew that for World Series games, I can "watch" it in the same familiar manner as in real life. Other times though, I am back to being a fast simmer (a month at a time) and not even looking at any scores, let alone boxscores.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:17 PM   #240
Atocep
Coordinator

I simmed from 1950 to 1980 in a MLB setup (no expansion set, started with all teams) and took over a Mets team that lost 90 games in '79. They had the #2 rated farm system, a stud 19 year old starting pitcher already in the majors, and no major league hitting talent whatsoever.

One of the first things I checked was the team focus and it was already set to "Rebuild". Then I decided to test out the 'Shop Player' option to see if I could dump a couple of the veterans I had on the team. First thing I noticed, and if the team's focus being set to 'Rebuild' is the reason for this then I have some serious man-love for Markus right now, 90% of the guys offered to me for the 4-5 guys I shopped were 24 or younger.

After screwing around for a few hours with the offseason I started simming and my Mets team is probably worse on the field in '80 (on pace to lose 100 games at the all-star break), but they do have young talent in the majors and the #1 farm system after getting a promising young pitcher in the June draft.

However, I think I'm seeing the side effects of rebuilding already. My starting centerfielder (far and away my best postion player right now) demanded to be traded because "He doesn't want to be part of a 5 year plan", my closer did the same, and I have several unhappy players in the clubhouse right now.

One of the things that gives players an advantage over AI in text sims is its too easy to just tear everything apart and rebuild. Teams with strong fan bases can't do this or they risk alienating the people that actually pay to see the games. If OOTP can at least make me think before I decided to just start all over and sell off my veterans at the first sign of the team slipping, then I may have found the first sim since TCY that I'll be playing outside of the real season.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:32 PM   #241
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

what directory do my ballpark pictures have to be in to be recognized by the game? the little spot it says it in-game it gets cutoff by the picture of the ballpark and I didn't see a readme in any of the .zip files...
Old 03-24-2007, 12:33 PM   #242
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

what directory do my ballpark pictures have to be in to be recognized by the game? the little spot it says it in-game it gets cutoff by the picture of the ballpark and I didn't see a readme in any of the .zip files...
Old 03-24-2007, 12:49 PM   #243
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Thanks for that it worked when I did it that way. Also, does anyone know how to type in capital letters in the game for things like files names or managers names. When I use my keyboard capital key nothing happens . It isn't a big deal except if I can't put the DB path in becuz it has acapital letter. Thanks.

Yeah for some reason, caps lock doesn't work. I've only been able to use caps by using the shift+letter key. Kinda annoying.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:01 PM   #244
Atocep
Coordinator

Couple small things I don't like. First, when looking at my lineups you used to automatically be able to see the splits for whatever lineup you were setting. Now because the depth charts and lineups are combined on the same screen you have to pull up the spits in the roster screen above.

Second is more of a question. Is it possible to look at the sim standings screen (with the league leaders) when not actually simming?

Also, salaries seem high for the era I'm in. Highest salary right now (1980) is almost $4 million. MLB didn't see salaries approaching $4 million until '91. League average salary right now is $434,00, which MLB didn't reach until '90.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:03 PM   #245
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Couple small things I don't like. First, when looking at my lineups you used to automatically be able to see the splits for whatever lineup you were setting. Now because the depth charts and lineups are combined on the same screen you have to pull up the spits in the roster screen above.

Second is more of a question. Is it possible to look at the sim standings screen (with the league leaders) when not actually simming?

Also, salaries seem high for the era I'm in. Highest salary right now (1980) is almost $4 million. MLB didn't see salaries approaching $4 million until '91. League average salary right now is $434,00, which MLB didn't reach until '90.

You can adjust the salary numbers to match what they were like in that year.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:11 PM   #246
Atocep
Coordinator

Just got this message regarding a reliever I signed in the offseason, "Allegedly, Bill Parks has asked to be traded from New York (N). It is rumored that he is unhappy with fans in the city not respecting his privacy and that maybe the pressure of playing here is too great."
Old 03-24-2007, 01:22 PM   #247
molson
General Manager

Is there any way to view a "player history" in a more organized way? Or is it is impossible just to check at a glance how many MVP awards, injuries, gold glove awards someone has?

Edit: And a similar question, is there a way to set a view of a guy's year-by-year stats that is a little clearer when someone changes teams. The default seems to be something like this:

1985 BOS .....
1986 NYY .....
1986 BOS .....
1986 TOTAL ....
1987 CHI ...
1987 NYY ...
1988 TOTAL ...

It's tough to sense, at a glance, at a guy's career when he's changed teams, since none of the total/team lines are distinguishable from one another.

Last edited by molson : 03-24-2007 at 01:35 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:31 PM   #248
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
You can adjust the salary numbers to match what they were like in that year.

Yes, but those numbers are supposed to be automatically imported to be historically accurate.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-24-2007, 01:33 PM   #249
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Is there any way to view a "player history" in a more organized way? Or is it is impossible just to check at a glance how many MVP awards, injuries, gold glove awards someone has?

No. Several of us brought this up and Markus indicated it would be looked at for 2008. IMO, this has been a glaring issue going several versions back, so it's a tad disappointing it hasn't been addressed yet, but not a huge issue. But it basically makes looking at a player's history (at least someone wih a huge history) virtually meaningless. It would be nice if, at a minimum, awards were bolded or something.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:39 PM   #250
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
No. Several of us brought this up and Markus indicated it would be looked at for 2008. IMO, this has been a glaring issue going several versions back, so it's a tad disappointing it hasn't been addressed yet, but not a huge issue. But it basically makes looking at a player's history (at least someone wih a huge history) virtually meaningless. It would be nice if, at a minimum, awards were bolded or something.

Wow, it's incredibly strange that I can run about 8 leagues at different levels simultaneously, while at the time time it would take me about 10 minutes to add up one guys various awards. This is a perfect example of the obsession of additional "features" at the apparent expense of game play.

That being said, I'm having fun with the game so far. It looks like the biggest issues are going to be interface-related.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote