Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Wolverine Studios Announces Shaun Sullivan's Draft Day Sports: Baseball!

Wow. Wolverine is pulling a full scale blitz this year

MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:01 AM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

april fools?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Here is the thread, and Gary swears it isn't..

http://www.wolverinestudios.com/foru...ead.php?t=5174
Old 04-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
rjolley
College Starter

Here's one from Shaun: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1762041
rjolley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #5
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

From Shaun's post at Matrix this morning...

"No, this is not an April fool's joke."

edit to say - I couldn't be happier about Shaun joining us. I'm a big fan of his work and the chance for us to influence his game and for him to influence our other games can mean nothing but good things for all of our future titles.

Last edited by Gary Gorski : 04-01-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Gary Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

fair nuff - that was just my immediate reaction

exciting news for sure

*drools* if we can get Puresim-style realism with Gary-style "personalities" and "interaction"...i might be able to die happy
Old 04-01-2008, 11:14 AM   #7
Barkeep49
Coordinator

The stuff DDS has done with personality was a big draw for me to the Puresim project in the first place. I look forward to seeing what direction the game goes.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:14 AM   #8
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
You should have announced this yesterday or tomorrow.

Good luck guys!

LOL.......so true. It's a wonderful thing, but I can't think of a worse day to make a big announcement in the video game industry than April 1st.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:23 AM   #9
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

well the official big announcement will happen tomorrow when we send out the press release and such. We had to wait for some things to happen and we announced it on our forums today to backup what Shaun posted at Matrix. Our "worldwide" announcement of the game will be tomorrow but for the people on our board and others like FOFC - the people who are our "friends" in the industry - no harm letting you guys know even if it is April 1st
Old 04-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #10
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Now Wolverine will have all my money!
Old 04-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #11
Swaggs
Coordinator

This has the potential to be an awesome game.

Last edited by Swaggs : 04-01-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #12
duff88
College Prospect

I need to whine...

There are already tons of Baseball, Basketball and Football sims already... No need for competition, what we need is a Hockey sim!
duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #13
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

seriously - this could make me a very happy camper

can't wait to go over to the wolverine board and flood it with suggestions
Old 04-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #14
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Wow, excellent news!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #15
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff88 View Post
I need to whine...

There are already tons of Baseball, Basketball and Football sims already... No need for competition, what we need is a Hockey sim!

Well it's not "another" baseball sim on the market - it's going to be an even better version of an already good and established one. I think PureSim is very underrated in comparison to its competition and I think it can only get better.

As for a hockey sim - I'd love to add one to our rapidly growing stable. If there's a good one out there point them in our direction.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #16
Icy
Pro Starter

Both as WS staff member and as baseball games fan, I'm so excited about this news and I must admit it has been sooooo hard to keep my mouth closed on that other thread here about the baseball games for 2008

Shawn is a great addition to WS, and not only for his incoming baseball game but also because his programming skills and ideas that will help for sure other future WS games.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:05 PM   #17
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Kick ass. If this improves upon Puresim then I am all for it. Puresim was already my favorite baseball sim experience, so I will be trying my first Wolverine Studio game I guess.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #18
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
Well it's not "another" baseball sim on the market - it's going to be an even better version of an already good and established one. I think PureSim is very underrated in comparison to its competition and I think it can only get better.
Totally agree with this. PureSim has usually been seen as less than OOTP and more than BM. Personally, I think it's just as good as OOTP without all of the bells and whistles. And I've always thought Shaun has been one of the most responsive developers and bought his game during the beta period every year.

Hope this melding of the minds puts PureSim into the proper light (if it's not an April Fool's joke )

Last edited by rjolley : 04-01-2008 at 12:12 PM.
rjolley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #19
Bee
Pro Starter

Didn't Shaun do a lot of Front Page Sports Football mods back in the day? How involved would he be with the football game?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:19 PM   #20
Schmidty
Coordinator

Hopefully it's better than the overly-complicated new OOTP, and it's shitty interface. If so, that would be the perfect game.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:22 PM   #21
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Oh, and I will still call it Puresim. DDS: Baseball is just kind of blahhhhh to me.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #22
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Totally agree with this. PureSim has usually been seen as less than OOTP and more than BM. Personally, I think it's just as good as OOTP without all of the bells and whistles. And I've always thought Shaun has been one of the most responsive developers and bought his game during the beta period every year.

Hope this melding of the minds puts PureSim into the proper light (if it's not an April Fool's joke )

This explains how I feel about PureSim. Shaun's got a full-time job and a family and really spends the limited time he has making and continually improving a great baseball sim. He doesn't have the time to really get out there and push it and didn't have the benefit of having someone to make an interface for him. That's where we're coming in. We just brought in Ivan ("Icy") to help with our expanding line of products needing graphics and obviously we're doing a great deal of work trying to market our titles - I'm thrilled to be able to share what we can offer with Shaun because his title is extremely underrated. I think it can hold its own with any baseball sim out there and we're going to make sure it gets the chance to shine and gets the attention it deserves.

I also look forward to what Shaun can do for our titles. He already played a big role in helping out with the Total Pro Golf series and PureSim has some things implemented that I would like to see in our games - in game FTP being one of them. I think only good things can come from combining our talents and in the end we're going to see a better version of baseball, football, basketball and whatever else we roll out and yes, Shaun did do a number of things with the FPS series back in the day so his experience with that will only help make our upcoming football game even better.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:36 PM   #23
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Wow, huge announcement. Best of luck, would certainly be something I'd give a chance.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:36 PM   #24
Subby
lolzcat

I wonder why no one is taking these games on-line. It seems like a socially-networked website with the same underlying game engine and mp capabilities would have a viable subscription-based revenue model.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:37 PM   #25
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

It is being tried - http://www.simnasium.com/
Old 04-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #26
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I wonder why no one is taking these games on-line. It seems like a socially-networked website with the same underlying game engine and mp capabilities would have a viable subscription-based revenue model.

I wondered about this earlier today and wasn't sure what it'd take to do it programming wise. But the premise would surely be great if it were done right.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #27
Anthony
Banned

i wouldn't want a purely online MP game. case in point, i was fiddling around in my pc and i found my copy of OOTP6, and i found my receipt and briefly restarted my old, old career. i finally, after all this time, won a championship. so i want the ability to put a game down and go back to it whenever i want. online MP holds no interest for me. someone should smack subby for such a fucking stupid idea.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:51 PM   #28
stevew
Hall Of Famer

how the ai? puresim better
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:02 PM   #29
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
i wouldn't want a purely online MP game. case in point, i was fiddling around in my pc and i found my copy of OOTP6, and i found my receipt and briefly restarted my old, old career. i finally, after all this time, won a championship. so i want the ability to put a game down and go back to it whenever i want. online MP holds no interest for me. someone should smack subby for such a fucking stupid idea.
No I think it should have single player functionality as well - you would just be in your league with AI teams instead of humans.

And that last part - suck it, underachieving cubedweller.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 04-01-2008, 01:33 PM   #30
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
It is being tried - http://www.simnasium.com/
That's interesting, but seems really, really, really limited.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #31
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post

If this doesn't illustrate how bad the OOTP6 AI is, I don't know what else could.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:21 PM   #32
Izulde
Head Coach

Wow, I didn't see this coming at all.

Good thing I held off on getting a new baseball game.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:37 PM   #33
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Both as WS staff member and as baseball games fan, I'm so excited about this news and I must admit it has been sooooo hard to keep my mouth closed on that other thread here about the baseball games for 2008

Shawn is a great addition to WS, and not only for his incoming baseball game but also because his programming skills and ideas that will help for sure other future WS games.

Damn you! If I had known this I wouldn't have spent the money to buy Action PC Baseball No problems since this will probably be a sometime before we see agame. But, great news I have always liked Gary's basketball games since TCB and I was so excited to here about the football game but this is just amazing. Shaun's game shave been great and he really has a love for what he is doing it is evident. IMHO here is the George RR Martin of baseball sims. I guess SI has some competition now with Wolverine really stepping up. If nothing else the text sims industry was in need of some fresh competition.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:45 PM   #34
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Wonderful news. I'm very glad to see Shaun join a quality company and I'll certainly be buying his next title.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:50 PM   #35
Dutch
"Dutch"

Wolverine Studios is en fuego!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:50 PM   #36
DanGarion
Coordinator

Wow this is great news! Great job guys.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:05 PM   #37
larrymcg421
Head Coach

How can I still afford my gardener if I'm giving all this money to Wolverine Studios?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #38
Comey
College Starter

You'll have to downgrade to a Suburban.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:04 PM   #39
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Interesting news. I thought Shaun had to go into retirement or something? Or was that the coverup?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:07 PM   #40
Shaun Sullivan
PureSim

I'm excited

I'm super excited about this.

Gary and I already have had some great collaborations in the past, and the combined resources, design talent, and focus in place at Wolverine is invigorating.

Shaun
Shaun Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #41
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Sullivan View Post
I'm super excited about this.

Gary and I already have had some great collaborations in the past, and the combined resources, design talent, and focus in place at Wolverine is invigorating.

Shaun

Whatever helps to keep you putting out baseball games in the future is a good thing IMO. With this possibly even improving your game, I am chalking it down as the next baseball game I buy.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #42
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

How was Puresim at realistically simulating the roster moves, and financial situation of the MLB?
Old 04-01-2008, 08:20 PM   #43
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
How can I still afford my gardener if I'm giving all this money to Wolverine Studios?

Keep paying them money and then tell them to bring me on for spiffing up their site and developing online components.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:22 PM   #44
BYU 14
Coordinator

Dynasty in the making
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:20 AM   #45
Antmeister
Pro Starter

This is sick! I have always seen Shaun as a very solid programmer and not only is he going to bring his game to this company, but he should also be a great resource for clamping down on a lot of bugs as well. I hope he is helping out with the football game as well since Shaun has some experience with Front Page Sports from back in the day.

I must say that I am excited for the future of sports sims again. 3 companies duking it out which should only improve the quality of all the games.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:11 AM   #46
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
This is sick! I have always seen Shaun as a very solid programmer and not only is he going to bring his game to this company, but he should also be a great resource for clamping down on a lot of bugs as well. I hope he is helping out with the football game as well since Shaun has some experience with Front Page Sports from back in the day.

I must say that I am excited for the future of sports sims again. 3 companies duking it out which should only improve the quality of all the games.

Who would that be Wolverine Studios, SI and ? Matrix?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:37 AM   #47
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I think the third would be Greydog. Although SI may not be #2, they only make 1 game, and in a sport the others don't touch. Solecismic couldn't possibly be it. They have one sport with two games, one game being older then dirt by now almost, plus a card game, so overall 1.33 games.

Who wants to be #3?
Old 04-02-2008, 10:04 AM   #48
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Well I was talking about baseball:
OOTP, Sports Mogul, Wolverine.

But if we add football to the equation, it will be:
Solecismic, Grey Dog, Wolverine

And if adding basketball there will only be two:
Grey Dog and Wolverine
Old 04-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #49
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

actually Grey Dog has suspended their basketball title so we're the only one that offers hoops and definitely the only one that will offer all three and hopefully even more games in the future.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #50
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Lacrosse is getting screwed.