Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #101
kq76
n00b

dola..

Regardless of the solution it strikes me as odd that the game would react so strongly to a dip in ratings. For example, way back when weights weren't given to stats at all (all to ratings), would a star player who took a dip suddenly see himself in the minors? If we're seeing this problem with 0 weight given to ratings, how bad is it when say 50% weight is given to ratings? These solutions should help early in the season especially, but I'm guessing you'll still see a problem when you give lots of weight to ratings.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:58 AM   #102
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
dola..

Regardless of the solution it strikes me as odd that the game would react so strongly to a dip in ratings. For example, way back when weights weren't given to stats at all (all to ratings), would a star player who took a dip suddenly see himself in the minors? If we're seeing this problem with 0 weight given to ratings, how bad is it when say 50% weight is given to ratings? These solutions should help early in the season especially, but I'm guessing you'll still see a problem when you give lots of weight to ratings.

There are other factors as well, for example the contract, pro experience etc...

If there are no stats at all. the ratings are entirely used. By the way, stats include minor league stats as well (equivalencies applied), so everything is covered properly.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:44 AM   #103
Galaril
Pro Starter

One question I have is related the mlb Setup and the stadium dimensions for real teams in MLB. I can't remember in past versions if they were already included but for this one since the game comes with real rosters will real stadium dimensions be included? This is always a huge consideration since it generally has a huge an effect on players really performance?

Last edited by Galaril : 04-25-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #104
kq76
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
There are other factors as well, for example the contract, pro experience etc...

If there are no stats at all. the ratings are entirely used. By the way, stats include minor league stats as well (equivalencies applied), so everything is covered properly.

Okay. As long as you given it another look.

I just have suspicions there might be something wrong with what the game does with the valuation not just how it comes up with the valuation itself.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #105
BIGdaddy
n00b

Sure would like to see hitting streaks back on the stats leader board....
BIGdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #106
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
One question I have is related the mlb Setup and the stadium dimensions for real teams in MLB. I can't remember in past versions if they were already included but for this one since the game comes with real rosters will real stadium dimensions be included? This is always a huge consideration since it generally has a huge an effect on players really performance?

I have a spreadsheet that lists this stuff for stadium dimensions and I've posted over there before if you search for it, you'll find it or PM me over there and I'll link you to it (darkcloud4579)
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:10 PM   #107
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

Damnit I could'nt resist. I hope it's not disappointing like 2006 was for me.

Browns. Cavs. Tribe. Buckeyes. Period.
Mantle2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:03 PM   #108
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I have a spreadsheet that lists this stuff for stadium dimensions and I've posted over there before if you search for it, you'll find it or PM me over there and I'll link you to it (darkcloud4579)

But doesn't all the info still have to be manually entered for every stadium for each new association? Or can it just be put in a folder where the game will read it?
Old 04-25-2008, 11:18 PM   #109
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
But doesn't all the info still have to be manually entered for every stadium for each new association? Or can it just be put in a folder where the game will read it?

Yeah, manually.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:07 AM   #110
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Yeah, manually.

Thanks for that info on the spreadsheet but that was what I was getting at as far as adding in these different stadiums ever time you have a new association. I really am surprised that more people don't bitch about this stadium dimensions stuff since as picky as the sports text sim community can be (and rightly so) about minor details this seems like a fairly signifcant one. If any of the games PS, DDTB, or OOTP are really trying to target folks who won't to play a MLB style game historically than stadiums are huge. Just look at Fenway Park and say the old Phillies stadium Veterans Park or the Astrodome. Now those places gave some vastly different player stats.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:10 PM   #111
Huckleberry
College Starter

Markus -

Will there be a league prestige rating now if you're running multiple separate leagues?

I'm interested in running a promotion/relegation league but want to make sure that players will sign at the highest level they can (if they can expect playing time). I realize that time-intensive editing of financials can accomplish it at this point, but will league prestige be an editable field?

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:52 PM   #112
korme
Go Reds

That's a good idea Huck.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:00 PM   #113
Anthony
Banned

i don't see myself getting much out of a league prestige rating, and wouldn't want that to delay the release or compound the possible issues/bugs in the game. if you want relegation go play a soccer sim. i would much rather time and engergy be focused on making the game mirror professional baseball as it is currently played in real life.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:01 PM   #114
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Aside from bug issues, I don't want Markus considering any issues right now other than getting the game ready for release ASAP.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:08 PM   #115
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
i don't see myself getting much out of a league prestige rating, and wouldn't want that to delay the release or compound the possible issues/bugs in the game. if you want relegation go play a soccer sim. i would much rather time and engergy be focused on making the game mirror professional baseball as it is currently played in real life.
  1. A baseball game that markets its ability to replay historical seasons really should have a league prestige rating. There were multiple major leagues in the past and at one point were three major leagues including the Federal League. The particular reason I want to see it is actually irrelevant.
  2. From what I understand, the game already has a league prestige rating that it calculates based on talent level, etc. that players utilize when making their decision on where to sign. Making this an editable field shouldn't be that difficult.
  3. Not sure why this would concern you as far as bugs or other issues go. You clearly would not be running multiple top-level leagues so this wouldn't affect your enjoyment at all either way.
  4. My hope is that this wouldn't take very long to do. In no way do I wish to see this hamper the overall game development process. If a game is going to offer customization then what's the problem with asking if one more setting is customizable? If you want to run a universe that is simply a carbon copy of real life then have at it. As stated above, this won't affect you one bit.
And for the record, this question has been asked before. This is not a new idea that is just now being suggested. It's an improvement request that has been around for at least two years. Without an extensive feature list it's just a question that I wanted the answer to. If the answer is no I'm not going to scream at Markus until it gets added. Hell, I've already pre-ordered under the assumption that it's not a customizable field.

Last edited by Huckleberry : 05-05-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:16 PM   #116
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Aside from bug issues, I don't want Markus considering any issues right now other than getting the game ready for release ASAP.

exactly.

the game is probably a month away from being released, let him tighten up the game and resolve any last remaining issues (until the general public finds all the other bugs) instead of even thinking about new features, however small they may be.

i don't think there is a very large segment of the OOTP buying public that utilizes multiple leagues in their careers. i want a game that does a great job on the MLB before it starts to think about foreign leagues.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:21 PM   #117
Huckleberry
College Starter

I simply asked if there will be an editable league prestige rating.

You replied that you really don't want him adding one.

Did I ask him to add that capability if it doesn't already exist? I asked him if it is in OOTP9. Nowhere did I ask him to add it before release if it's not already there.

Although all of a sudden I'm considering starting a crusade on the OOTP boards for it to be added before OOTP9 is released just for the hell of it.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #118
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
  1. A baseball game that markets its ability to replay historical seasons really should have a league prestige rating. There were multiple major leagues in the past and at one point were three major leagues including the Federal League. The particular reason I want to see it is actually irrelevant.
  2. From what I understand, the game already has a league prestige rating that it calculates based on talent level, etc. that players utilize when making their decision on where to sign. Making this an editable field shouldn't be that difficult.
  3. Not sure why this would concern you as far as bugs or other issues go. You clearly would not be running multiple top-level leagues so this wouldn't affect your enjoyment at all either way.
  4. My hope is that this wouldn't take very long to do. In no way do I wish to see this hamper the overall game development process. If a game is going to offer customization then what's the problem with asking if one more setting is customizable? If you want to run a universe that is simply a carbon copy of real life then have at it. As stated above, this won't affect you one bit.
And for the record, this question has been asked before. This is not a new idea that is just now being suggested. It's an improvement request that has been around for at least two years. Without an extensive feature list it's just a question that I wanted the answer to. If the answer is no I'm not going to scream at Markus until it gets added. Hell, I've already pre-ordered under the assumption that it's not a customizable field.

It's just a hellish feature to implement and has the potential to screw a lot of things up. Do we not remember the abortion that was 2006 when everyone jumped in with grandiose ideas for the game? It needs to get back to some semblance of real baseball and real leagues. There is a reason this game has sold for crap the last few years, and it's because ideas like that are put ahead of fixes for those who just want to run a regular baseball league.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #119
Huckleberry
College Starter

And I disagree that it's hellish to implement and that it would have any effect on someone that wants to run a league that mimics modern major league baseball.

If it's hellish to implement then I've already explained I don't want it to affect release and completion of OOTP9. I just doubt that it is because, as I said earlier, there is already a hidden league prestige rating in the game.

And because the rating would only be used by free agents trying to decide between offers from two different leagues it would have absolutely no effect on a single major league universe.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #120
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

It was a good idea Huckleberry, no idea why everyone seems to think its a ridiculous thing to want.

The thought that its all the fans' fault that the last few versions had bugs
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:59 PM   #121
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Markus -

Will there be a league prestige rating now if you're running multiple separate leagues?

I'm interested in running a promotion/relegation league but want to make sure that players will sign at the highest level they can (if they can expect playing time). I realize that time-intensive editing of financials can accomplish it at this point, but will league prestige be an editable field?

I really like this idea
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:55 AM   #122
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
It was a good idea Huckleberry, no idea why everyone seems to think its a ridiculous thing to want.

No one's saying that. I think we are reacting to the timing of the request given Marcus' well-known character flaw of trying to please everyone and taking on little side projects like this at the last minute (no offense, Marcus, but sometimes you're a bit TOO willing to implement fan requests at the drop of a hat). Now that the game is about to come out, I'd prefer he put something like this on the backburner as an idea to be worked on for a second or third patch. I don't care if it's added, but I do care about when it's added.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote