Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #151
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Question: I have four levels of minor leagues active (AAA, AA, A and R) but my two lower level teams only have something like four or five pitchers (and one team has just one pitcher). Is there a quick and easy way to automatically fill out these rosters without having to sign a bunch of player manually?

Enable ghost players in the league options and the game will have players fill them out (that you don't see or have to worry about). That way you can make sure your prospects get the most attention and you don't have to worry about the clutter of endless 1 star prospects that will never amount to anything down there.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:18 PM   #152
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Question: I have four levels of minor leagues active (AAA, AA, A and R) but my two lower level teams only have something like four or five pitchers (and one team has just one pitcher). Is there a quick and easy way to automatically fill out these rosters without having to sign a bunch of player manually?

Go to your team, go to roster, click on the affiliated team that you want to use and then go to Action and click "fill team with fictional players"
Old 06-19-2008, 12:43 PM   #153
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Enable ghost players in the league options and the game will have players fill them out (that you don't see or have to worry about). That way you can make sure your prospects get the most attention and you don't have to worry about the clutter of endless 1 star prospects that will never amount to anything down there.

Thanks. This worked for me.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:58 PM   #154
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Sometimes the events in the game just make me laugh..

- Atlanta signs 42 year old Tom Glavine to a 2 year contract extension to the fears of some fans who are concerned about his age.

- Three days later, Glavine's season is done with an arm injury that will keep him out the rest of the year.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #155
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
To delete a minor league, go to League Setup, go to look in the bottom right and click "functions" and click on "Delete League"

The problem with that was for example using the quick start majors.lg it added like 20 minor leagues all the way down to rookie ball. So I just wanted the majors and AAA. I deleted all the othe rleagues then realized the players from those leagues weren't delted they were released into the world free agent pool. I wish there was an option or the AI asked if you delete a league whether you want to delete that leagues players or as is the case now dump them into the free agent pool. Anyways the easy way to get my league majors and AAA was just starta new custom league.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:35 PM   #156
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I find that my feeder situation worked out well. Rather than wasting a whole lot of time doing fact-finding, I'm finding that it's way better/easier to have kids in foreign countries having to scout them, just having three feeder leagues and having the players be from various countries.

I had no idea that adding the ability to determine the country of the various teams would be such an enhancement and that's not something I would've thought of as a feature -- I like it, it's necessary -- just never knew it'd actually 1) be possible and 2) be such a boon once it was possible.

So that's pretty awesome. I'm hoping to dive into my league a bit more today.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:41 PM   #157
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I hate this game already.

I'm getting into it last night and look out the window to notice it looks a bit lighter than expected. I then notice it is 5:30am.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:46 PM   #158
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I hate this game already.

I'm getting into it last night and look out the window to notice it looks a bit lighter than expected. I then notice it is 5:30am.

The same exact thing happened to me. I got up after finally getting sleepy and little did I know, the sun was coming up.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:47 PM   #159
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I wanna do that this weekend!
Old 06-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #160
samifan24
Pro Starter

How do you edit player information? I want to do simple things like edit player numbers but the tab to edit player information is gone. I searched the online help file but all it told me was to look in the almanac but that didn't help at all. There's got to be an easy way to find answers for us newbies.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #161
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Found another bug that I reported on the ootp boards.. I believe it might be a bug with the mlb quickstart and not the game, but not entirely sure without looking at it more... anyways the Twins obviously have found a way to do better.. Just have your #1 SP pitch every game

Quote:
These two threads contain the same problem:

SP started back-to-back games.

Twins Starting Pitchers have no wins or loses

So I'm seeing it as well, so it is obviously something wrong with the 2008 quick start. Right now 44 games into the season, Liriano has made every start for the Twins, but no stats are recorded for him, and the game acts as if he has not pitched, so he stays rested and is ready to make the next start.

As far as I can tell his stats only show up in the Box scores, but no where else.

I am attaching two screenshots where you can see they have been playing games, and also you can see only the relief pitcher stats are showing. If you need more information, let me know please.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:44 PM   #162
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
How do you edit player information? I want to do simple things like edit player numbers but the tab to edit player information is gone. I searched the online help file but all it told me was to look in the almanac but that didn't help at all. There's got to be an easy way to find answers for us newbies.

Be in commish mode to edit player information.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:22 PM   #163
korme
Go Reds

If it is like OOTP8 (haven't broken down for OOTP9 yet, though I will!), there should be an option at the bottom that says "Set Player #" or something similar.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:31 PM   #164
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
If it is like OOTP8 (haven't broken down for OOTP9 yet, though I will!), there should be an option at the bottom that says "Set Player #" or something similar.

Yeah samifan, are you talking about changing the player's uniform number? If so, you don't have to be in commish mode for it, there is just a button at the bottom of the player card that says: Set uniform number to... and you can pick there.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:45 PM   #165
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm pleased with the ability to finally be able to base roles on player stats. That's another one of those features that's underrated and really well needed.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:45 PM   #166
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah samifan, are you talking about changing the player's uniform number? If so, you don't have to be in commish mode for it, there is just a button at the bottom of the player card that says: Set uniform number to... and you can pick there.

Yeah, I figured out how to change a player's number but I don't see how to edit other information. For example, is there a way in which I can force Bonds and Clemens to retire before the start of the 2008 season?
Old 06-19-2008, 05:48 PM   #167
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, I figured out how to change a player's number but I don't see how to edit other information. For example, is there a way in which I can force Bonds and Clemens to retire before the start of the 2008 season?

For that you have to go into commish mode. Once in commish mode you should be able to right click their names and there should be an option to force retire.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:49 PM   #168
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm pleased with the ability to finally be able to base roles on player stats. That's another one of those features that's underrated and really well needed.

I am not quite sure I follow what you mean here... What type of roles are you talking about?
Old 06-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #169
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I am not quite sure I follow what you mean here... What type of roles are you talking about?

League Setup ---> Options

Base roles/positions

It's an AI thing. You can choose to have the AI base the way it puts players in the lineup on AI evaluation (which would make your evaluation % come into play) or you can have it done on stats. Presuming you do your own team, it wouldn't affect your club, but it'd affect AI teams and AI control over your team when you leave it to do that for you.

It's the idea that if you don't like the whole "ratings driven" way of play and prefer to base everything on stats (with the veil in real life that even a player with high ratings who never pans out for one reason or another doesn't succeed while a guy with low ratings manages to be a contributor) as I do, that you can finally do it and have the AI play along with its management of teams.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #170
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
League Setup ---> Options

Base roles/positions

It's an AI thing. You can choose to have the AI base the way it puts players in the lineup on AI evaluation (which would make your evaluation % come into play) or you can have it done on stats. Presuming you do your own team, it wouldn't affect your club, but it'd affect AI teams and AI control over your team when you leave it to do that for you.

It's the idea that if you don't like the whole "ratings driven" way of play and prefer to base everything on stats (with the veil in real life that even a player with high ratings who never pans out for one reason or another doesn't succeed while a guy with low ratings manages to be a contributor) as I do, that you can finally do it and have the AI play along with its management of teams.

I'm not seeing this option on that screen...
Old 06-19-2008, 06:12 PM   #171
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I'm not seeing this option on that screen...

You can't do it in fictional leagues, apparently. Only in MLB or historical leagues. That's something I noticed in beta and forgot. It needs to be offered to fictional leagues too. It's a real boon.
Attached Images
File Type: png adjust.PNG (57.5 KB, 213 views)

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-19-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:22 PM   #172
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I changed the sabermetric creation modifiers in my feeders to between .500 and .650. Any higher than that and the kids come the majors way too fast. I think that if you're going to have feeders, that it's almost better to keep the development modifier at just a little over 1.000. You wanna create situations where you have teams having to 'choose' between a hot stud prospect and a veteran, but not to have a talent bonzana coming to the majors.

I also have the aging modifer at .300 so players last longer or else, I find they retire too soon and that annoys me.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #173
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Cubs signed Jack Cust to a 5 year deal worth $214 million. Sorta nuts, but he had a career year (.242/39/115) and they won the World Series in his first year.

Hehe..
Old 06-19-2008, 06:26 PM   #174
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You can't do it in fictional leagues, apparently. Only in MLB or historical leagues. That's something I noticed in beta and forgot. It needs to be offered to fictional leagues too. It's a real boon.

I thought that box only had to do with how it handled year to year progression for pre-2008 historical seasons?
Old 06-19-2008, 06:33 PM   #175
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I thought that box only had to do with how it handled year to year progression for pre-2008 historical seasons?

Yeah, but it'll keep doing it well into the time when you have a lot of fictional players, so it starts with pre-2008 seasons but goes well past them. I get the intended purpose. I'm just saying that if a guy like (a fake version of) Brady Anderson should be recognized by the game as a one-hit wonder, versus say, he has ratings that make him a star.

I'd rather have guys who have great ratings, but bad stats for one reason or another and as a result, whose ratings in the major eventually reflect that. Rather than guys with these off-the-chart ratings who stink constantly because well..they're not accurate measures of anything and his "potential" is unrealized, so why should I be teased with it well into his 30s and 40s?
Old 06-19-2008, 06:37 PM   #176
samifan24
Pro Starter

This game is really, really intimidating. So many options, so many things to try and remember and they're all seemingly all over the place. I've played WWSM and FM in the past and that game is a lot easier to navigate. I've never felt intimidated while playing WWSM and FM despite not knowing a lot about soccer. With this game, I feel like I need to know that I should tweak "this value" or "that value" 5% for maximum effect. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 06-19-2008, 06:44 PM   #177
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This game is really, really intimidating. So many options, so many things to try and remember and they're all seemingly all over the place. I've played WWSM and FM in the past and that game is a lot easier to navigate. I've never felt intimidated while playing WWSM and FM despite not knowing a lot about soccer. With this game, I feel like I need to know that I should tweak "this value" or "that value" 5% for maximum effect. Has anyone else experienced this?

I've actually experienced the opposite I bought FM 3 different times and never could play it more than 2-3 hours before it drove me nuts. I've had issues with OOTP for years for one thing or another, but almost never has been interface issues for me, it was normally engine issues.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #178
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

FM overwhelms me after a while. Not because I can't "figure it out" but because I don't really like soccer the way I do baseball. That said, it's STILL immersed me beyond my wildest imagination.

OOTP isn't as 'complete' as FM, but given the team behind that game versus OOTP, that's not too surprising (Markus might be good, but that's a lot for one person to manage to do...) and so, I think that the basic crux of OOTP is that it can do A LOT of stuff, but you have to want to spend a lot of time refining it to get it to do what you want it to do.

It's like a sandbox, almost. You don't have to do any of that, though, to really play and enjoy it normally. It's just the price to pay when you wanna do stuff beyond the very ordinary.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:56 PM   #179
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Not sure what is causing this bug.. but one of the more annoying ones so far is a very minor one. Every now and then for some stupid reason, when I click on the "Manager News and Messages" button, it goes to my external web browser and loads the OOTP webpage.. lol
Old 06-19-2008, 07:00 PM   #180
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not sure what is causing this bug.. but one of the more annoying ones so far is a very minor one. Every now and then for some stupid reason, when I click on the "Manager News and Messages" button, it goes to my external web browser and loads the OOTP webpage.. lol

I just figured out why this is happening. the email icon is in front of the BNN hyperlink on the boxscore. .. hehe.. oh well, reported this one too.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:45 PM   #181
samifan24
Pro Starter

Well I just edited my team logo and uniform using the built-in editor. I didn't think I could do it but the editor made it really easy. I don't know if I'll do logos and uniforms for each of the teams in my fictional league but I have to give Marcus credit for making the logo editor really easy to use.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:59 PM   #182
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Quote:
Just remember that ghost players won't get a random ratings boost while that 1 star prospect just might. (Probly not..but hey a guy can dream)
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:05 PM   #183
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMan View Post
Just remember that ghost players won't get a random ratings boost while that 1 star prospect just might. (Probly not..but hey a guy can dream)

That is true, and I do keep some 1 star players around in the minors, but usually only the ones that already are say 4 or 5 talent in a few important areas. Those 1 star prospects are just one bump away. The majority of 1 star prospects in the minors (especially if you have larger draft pools or do auto-filling of minors) tend to be something like talents of 3-1-1 or 2-1-1 or whatever.. and I would need a few magical talent boosts for them to ever be worthwhile.

On a semi-related note, I've done my first ootp9 draft, and wow the talent was lacking. Only 1 4.5 star prospect, a few 3 star prospects, and at pick #24 I had to settle for a 1.5 star prospect in the first round.

Not sure yet if it is an indication on the quality of my scout , the quality of the league or what yet though. I'll have to play with it more.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:10 PM   #184
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Ya, there are always some obvious losers who would take a miracle that doesn't exist to even be mediocre.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:05 PM   #185
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I swear I have 3 starting pitchers out right now, and my LF

1 SP for 6 months, 1 for 2 months, one for 2 weeks, and my LF for 6 months

That's a change. SP never got injured in OOTP 8
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:08 PM   #186
bhlloy
Coordinator

Read a post on the OOTP board that indicated it was possible to import CubbyFan v8 rosters into v9. Anyone here tried that and if so are there bugs?

I don't have the energy to do anything else other than dive into a quick MLB career, but I don't want to play with the rosters that came with the game either. Too many quirks and inaccuracies.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:13 PM   #187
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I've seen several (not too many) pitchers get 'dead arm syndrome' which I think is great. Basically it just makes you shut down your pitcher for a little over a week. It's a nice to see pitchers getting realistic injuries like that.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:57 PM   #188
BigPapi
Mascot

Quote:
Cubs signed Jack Cust to a 5 year deal worth $214 million. Sorta nuts, but he had a career year (.242/39/115) and they won the World Series in his first year.

Hehe..

Wait...The AI signed cust for 43 million a year for 5 years???? That's insane!
BigPapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:53 PM   #189
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Just noticed I was charged $62.07 for the game, that is pretty f'n sweet.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:54 PM   #190
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Read a post on the OOTP board that indicated it was possible to import CubbyFan v8 rosters into v9. Anyone here tried that and if so are there bugs?

I don't have the energy to do anything else other than dive into a quick MLB career, but I don't want to play with the rosters that came with the game either. Too many quirks and inaccuracies.

I was looking on the OOTP board and couldn't find his roster file.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:58 PM   #191
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapi View Post
Wait...The AI signed cust for 43 million a year for 5 years???? That's insane!

Yeah, I dunno what it was smoking, but I like these ridic. deals. More like real life to me. AI never did that in past versions and I like to see that it's throwing money around now, so long as I alter my settings a bit and it's doing that.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:14 PM   #192
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm getting into the game and figuring out things. Been mostly simulating MLB leagues and seeing how things turn out. The MLB rosters kind of suck but I'm sure with some tweaking can become semi-playable.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:44 PM   #193
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm going to start a real MLB league, release all the players, delete them, and then add all fictional players and do a draft if that's possible.

Probably put the Cardinals last in the draft and let the CPU draft and go from there.

Either that or sim 10 years and pick the worst team to GM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:00 AM   #194
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I'm going to start a real MLB league, release all the players, delete them, and then add all fictional players and do a draft if that's possible.

Probably put the Cardinals last in the draft and let the CPU draft and go from there.

Brilliant idea. Why didn't I think of this. I think I might do the same thing now with the MLB league I started. Really good plan.

I don't mind real players, but they generally annoy me, for a host of reasons. I do like real teams tho.

There should be a mass-retire button, rather than having to delete everybody.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-20-2008 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:32 AM   #195
billethius
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

I imported CBLCardinals' rosters into v9 in the middle of the season and everything seems to be just fine so far (finished that season, onto the next).
billethius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:39 AM   #196
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

I think it would be better to just sim ahead 20 years because you'll have all of the history to compare things with...?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:18 AM   #197
Galaril
Pro Starter

Game is definitely much,much improved. The one frustrating thing is like a bunch of others I haven't been able to get the logos, jerseys, and or caps to show from the all-in-one-mod in the mod central thing though I did get the players photos? Weird and I haven't seen any mention on the OOTP board about a way to fix it.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:13 AM   #198
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Game is definitely much,much improved. The one frustrating thing is like a bunch of others I haven't been able to get the logos, jerseys, and or caps to show from the all-in-one-mod in the mod central thing though I did get the players photos? Weird and I haven't seen any mention on the OOTP board about a way to fix it.

I just created a new league with a brand new name and it worked for me.

You can actually also go in and just copy/paste the stuff into your league folder and it will work. Takes about 3 minutes or so but it worked for me.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:55 AM   #199
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I'm completely dumb when it comes to the latest versions of OOTP.

If I started a MLB league in 1980 with fake players, can I sim to 2008 and the league will expand like it did in real life? (Rockies, Marlins, Rays, D'backs)
Old 06-20-2008, 06:31 AM   #200
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
I'm completely dumb when it comes to the latest versions of OOTP.

If I started a MLB league in 1980 with fake players, can I sim to 2008 and the league will expand like it did in real life? (Rockies, Marlins, Rays, D'backs)

Fake MLB league that you create? Sure, you can expand it on your own? If the game generates the MLB league from a database? It can expand on it's own, but not with fake players.