Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-23-2008, 07:29 PM   #301
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I just want to give credit where credit is due. I haven't seriously played ootp since 6.5 even though I bought v7 and v8. I would say I basically supported Markus.

Verizon 9 has been so engrossing I've had to make myself go to bed so I could get up for work with at least 4-5 hours of sleep. I'm VERY pleased at what Markus has done since re-doing the interface - an interface I once hated, but Markus has finally made it so it clicks with me.. at least it has after figuring some things out.

My fictional MLB league has taken a life of its own and it's made me a part of it. I'll see how everything else is once I finally decide on a team to manage.

Everything is just so well done and nothing seems "added on" from the team picture of the World Series winners, to the top 3 performers of the day when simming a day.. it's just everything a baseball fanatic could ever want.

Team picture??? I need a screenshot!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:31 PM   #302
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

So for anyone who has always played with scouting off it might be worth trying to use the feature again it seems. I might do that on my next game.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:48 PM   #303
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Team picture??? I need a screenshot!

It was in last year's version of the game, too.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #304
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post

It was in last year's version of the game, too.

They mean a picture of the trophy, and headshots of all the players on the Roster, not a group photo, I think
Old 06-23-2008, 07:58 PM   #305
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
So far, I'm liking the scouting. It's quite cool to get an e-mail from my scouting director about a prospect ("hidden player") that he uncovered in Mexico.

Yeah funny thing about this 'feature'.

It finds Australians in Africa and Mexicans in Europe.

Today, in the middle of year 2050 fictional league it found Juan Rivera in Greece. Yes, that Juan Rivera from the Angels... with his Angels picture and everything. In a fictional league, the game discovered a 26 year old Juan Rivera in Greece wearing an Angels hat.

Good stuff.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:00 PM   #306
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
So for anyone who has always played with scouting off it might be worth trying to use the feature again it seems. I might do that on my next game.

I have always played with it off. I am playing with it on right now and not hating it. Wish it saved all the scouting reports from every month though.

Some sort of ratings/talent change report is in dire need.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:01 PM   #307
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Good -- glad I haven't missed something obvious with the scouts.

I like the way they are now implemented but I do have a beef with the discrepancy among my scout and the generic scout. I'm finding a number of players that my scout thinks are 5-star wonders but the OSA scout thinks are turds in a blanket. But that might be a problem more common when using an historical league.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:10 PM   #308
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Good -- glad I haven't missed something obvious with the scouts.

I like the way they are now implemented but I do have a beef with the discrepancy among my scout and the generic scout. I'm finding a number of players that my scout thinks are 5-star wonders but the OSA scout thinks are turds in a blanket. But that might be a problem more common when using an historical league.

i had the same thing. when i traded for my 2 Japs they both had 5 stars, awesome ratings. i looked at what the OSA/generic scout thought of them once they were on my team and i felt a pang in my heart. all ratings in the 1's and 2's. for a second i thought maybe my scout was seeing them rated with regards to how they compare to other players in the Pro Jap League, but once you take a foreign player and put him on the MLB then he isn't as good (like how Kaz Matsui was awesome in the Japan League, but in the MLB...not so much). and Godzilla Matsui hasn't exactly terrorized american pitching. but fortunately my two Japs played according to their ratings. my one big bat Jap (who was rated 20 in power) never did seem to blast *that* many out of the park, but they both batted over .300 and whatnot.

i don't know what the deal is with that generic scouting, but it certainly doesn't jive with what my scouts sees sometimes.

Last edited by Anthony : 06-23-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:17 PM   #309
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Is the kid actually from Mexico? Or does he say he's in Mexico, found a kid there who was from Norway? Because that's happened to me and it kills it for me.
In this case, the message said Mexico, and he's from Mexico. I've only had one so far.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:27 PM   #310
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post

Today, in the middle of year 2050 fictional league it found Juan Rivera in Greece. Yes, that Juan Rivera from the Angels... with his Angels picture and everything. In a fictional league, the game discovered a 26 year old Juan Rivera in Greece wearing an Angels hat.

Good stuff.

This is why I don't play with scouts on or use hidden players. If I wanna go shopping for players in a foreign land, I just create a league there, turn off ratings for the duration (usually in the winter) and then sign who I think the studs are and see how bad I screwed up once ratings are back on.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:32 PM   #311
korme
Go Reds

Yeah, that championship page has been there for a few years... I was thinking like the classic team World Series pics... that'd have been crazy

Old 06-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #312
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

Good stuff.

That's because you have a file named Juan_Rivera. If the guy was randomly generated as Julio Lugo, you'd get Lugo's picture. Just regenerate the pic.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:37 PM   #313
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
That's because you have a file named Juan_Rivera. If the guy was randomly generated as Julio Lugo, you'd get Lugo's picture. Just regenerate the pic.
Bingo. Any player 50 years from now named Juan Rivera will get that same pic now.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:40 PM   #314
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Bingo. Any player 50 years from now named Juan Rivera will get that same pic now.

I have a Juan Rivera in league that the game ships with. The picture came from downloading the all-in-one installer.

Still seems bizarre that he found a 26 year old Juan Rivera in Greece. Whatever, most of the time the players aren't worth signing anyway.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #315
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
i had the same thing. when i traded for my 2 Japs they both had 5 stars, awesome ratings. i looked at what the OSA/generic scout thought of them once they were on my team and i felt a pang in my heart. all ratings in the 1's and 2's. for a second i thought maybe my scout was seeing them rated with regards to how they compare to other players in the Pro Jap League, but once you take a foreign player and put him on the MLB then he isn't as good (like how Kaz Matsui was awesome in the Japan League, but in the MLB...not so much). and Godzilla Matsui hasn't exactly terrorized american pitching. but fortunately my two Japs played according to their ratings. my one big bat Jap (who was rated 20 in power) never did seem to blast *that* many out of the park, but they both batted over .300 and whatnot.

i don't know what the deal is with that generic scouting, but it certainly doesn't jive with what my scouts sees sometimes.

It's not just historical leagues.

I started a fictional league and started with the draft. I initially filled out my rotation with nice, young "future aces" and then went and drafted up and coming young stars - at least, according to my scout. After the draft ended, I saw that the standard OOTP scouts thought the majority of the guys stunk. 5 years of simming later, and I realize that the OOTP scouts were dead-on and my personal scout sucked eggs. That was a lot of "fun".
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 06-23-2008 at 09:32 PM.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:28 PM   #316
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

One of my new house rules is that when I'm making a deal -- in this case, my team is in the cellar -- that I can't trade a guy to another crap team when he's in the last year of his deal, that I have to trade him to a contender, even if it means getting a worse deal than I could otherwise get.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:56 PM   #317
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Patch is out.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:31 PM   #318
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

If you choose to go the uninstall/re-install route, make sure to backup your games you are playing or you will lose them (despite what their instruction page says, mine still got clobbered, but no biggie since I backed them up)
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:03 PM   #319
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Do you have to unlicence the game and then uninstall it, before you re-install?
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:21 PM   #320
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
Do you have to unlicence the game and then uninstall it, before you re-install?

No, it should keep your license just fine.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:14 AM   #321
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
From the manual (I didn't wanna give you the wrong info)

Thanks. So this wouldn't be an option in a historical season with real MLBers from the Lahman DB correct?

Last edited by Galaril : 06-24-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:15 AM   #322
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Thanks. So this wouldn't be an option in a historical season with real MLBers from the Lahman DB correct?

I think it's an option, yes. You can still use scouts, it just has the option for you to keep fictional players from making it. But they can if you want them to, of course.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:17 AM   #323
Ben E Lou

Quote:

OK. I was able to run across a few instances of this sort of thing. It has now been logged as an official bug, and I suspect it will get fixed in the next patch.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:47 PM   #324
Anthony
Banned

i don't understand about the patch. if i install it i have to start a new career? i don't want to - i won a championship in my 1st season. how can i install the patch and still continue with my current career?
Old 06-24-2008, 03:00 PM   #325
miked
College Starter

Quote:

Good stuff.

Did it find Alfonso Soriano in Asia?

All joking aside, the "feature" isn't working as it probably should, but I find the feature pretty silly as it's intended.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #326
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
If you choose to go the uninstall/re-install route, make sure to backup your games you are playing or you will lose them (despite what their instruction page says, mine still got clobbered, but no biggie since I backed them up)

Quote:
i don't understand about the patch. if i install it i have to start a new career? i don't want to - i won a championship in my 1st season. how can i install the patch and still continue with my current career?

Right above you, back up that league. Copy and save the files in another location, then move them back once re-installed. Or if you don't care about the MLB roster fixes just do as I did and just grab the .exe patch. All you are doing there is replacing the .exe file and I didn't have to worry about my saved games. Plus the download is a lot smaller.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #327
Anthony
Banned

good, i'll just download the exe file. not particularly interested in the MLB fixes anyway.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #328
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I've moved the first-year player draft in my league from June 15th to November 1st. Makes the off-season a little more interesting before free agency and isn't a huge distraction for me trying to evaluate them during the season.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:00 PM   #329
Anthony
Banned

fuck, i had to uninstall and am currently redownloading cuz the exe patch wasn't working for me. said i didn't have a license.dll file that i clearly did have. oh well. i saved my "saved games" folder, hopefully i can get it to work.

this will be the last time i install a patch that doesn't allow me continue a career and doesn't automatically install itself without disrupting things.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #330
Anthony
Banned

FUCK. wasn't able to use my saved game folder from the previous version. aaargh! i should've left well enough alone. this friggin sucks. i hate Germans.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #331
Ben E Lou

HA, I'm not sure what the problem there is. I just used the overwrite of the exe, and was able to continue with my career just fine. Stupid question, but did you shut down OOTP before you tried to overwrite the exe?
Old 06-24-2008, 04:25 PM   #332
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The patch didn't disrupt anything for me running my past leagues.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:26 PM   #333
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
HA, I'm not sure what the problem there is. I just used the overwrite of the exe, and was able to continue with my career just fine. Stupid question, but did you shut down OOTP before you tried to overwrite the exe?

ok, nevermind. i know what i did wrong. i incorrectly took my old saved games folder and just put it in the new saved games folder. when i took all the contents out of the old folder and simply put them in the new saved games folder it worked. all is still right in the world. the Mets are still the World Series champions.

i love German people, btw. such a fun, free-spirited race. great car makers. excellent beer.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:47 PM   #334
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I love it when HA posts.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:33 PM   #335
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I don't.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #336
Anthony
Banned

THIS IS THE GREATEST. I LOVE THE NEWS FEATURE IN THIS GAME. AND I LOVE WRITING IN ALL CAPS.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:51 PM   #337
Anthony
Banned

hahahaha i love it. this is the best. maximum custombatory excellence.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #338
Anthony
Banned

i swear, i can never play a game in OOTP9 again and just spend my time writing awesome news articles. i need to see if Bonds has retired yet.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:08 PM   #339
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
THIS IS THE GREATEST. I LOVE THE NEWS FEATURE IN THIS GAME. AND I LOVE WRITING IN ALL CAPS.

How original.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:12 PM   #340
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
How original.

sorry, George Carlin, i wasn't aware such an esteemed comic such as yourself would be critiquing my work. i can only hope to one day reach the truly great heights of comedy that someone such as yourself is known for being capable of around these parts.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:20 PM   #341
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I didn't realize that it was you that wrote that un-original writeup on Clemens.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:52 PM   #342
Anthony
Banned

excellent. i take it as a compliment of my great writing ability and wit. you big cuddly mountain bear.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:25 PM   #343
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I knew it was him because he misspelled committed.

Anyway...can someone tell me where the potential ratings stars went? I verified that I have them in my settings to show overall/potential, but no player has a star rating.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:18 PM   #344
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Man... so disappointing.. For the past few weeks of games, I've been more interested to see if the streak continued than to see if the team even won.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rcarter.jpg (56.5 KB, 127 views)
Old 06-24-2008, 11:22 PM   #345
SackAttack
Head Coach

Awesome. CTD after the first game of the playoffs in 2008, and when I reload the game, it says it can't do it because of a corrupt database.

Whee!
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:01 AM   #346
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Awesome. CTD after the first game of the playoffs in 2008, and when I reload the game, it says it can't do it because of a corrupt database.

Whee!

Man, that's frustrating. Wonder what happened.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:02 AM   #347
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

Anyway...can someone tell me where the potential ratings stars went? I verified that I have them in my settings to show overall/potential, but no player has a star rating.

Stars are below that. I think it says 20-80 or use stars. I don't have it open at the moment to confirm, but it's not the same as potential ratings, it's like "talent" or something
Old 06-25-2008, 12:22 AM   #348
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
i swear, i can never play a game in OOTP9 again and just spend my time writing awesome news articles. i need to see if Bonds has retired yet.

I bought Bonds out of retirement at the age of 65 and he signed with the Blue Jays and played mainly on their bench till the last month of the season where I put him in their lineup and locked it and he hit 3 home runs.

Year/Team/League Age G AB H 2B 3B HR RBI R BB HP SF K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS VORP
1986 Pittsburgh - ML 21 113 413 92 26 3 16 48 72 65 2 2 102 36 7 .223 .330 .416 .746 0.0
1987 Pittsburgh - ML 22 150 551 144 34 9 25 59 99 54 3 3 88 32 10 .261 .329 .492 .821 0.0
1988 Pittsburgh - ML 23 144 538 152 30 5 24 58 97 72 2 2 82 17 11 .283 .368 .491 .859 0.0
1989 Pittsburgh - ML 24 159 580 144 34 6 19 58 96 93 1 4 93 32 10 .248 .351 .426 .777 0.0
1990 Pittsburgh - ML 25 151 519 156 32 3 33 114 104 93 3 6 83 52 13 .301 .406 .565 .970 0.0
1991 Pittsburgh - ML 26 153 510 149 28 5 25 116 95 107 4 13 73 43 13 .292 .410 .514 .924 0.0
1992 Pittsburgh - ML 27 140 473 147 36 5 34 103 109 127 5 7 69 39 8 .311 .456 .624 1.080 0.0
1993 San Francisco - ML 28 159 539 181 38 4 46 123 129 126 2 7 79 29 12 .336 .458 .677 1.136 0.0
1994 San Francisco - ML 29 112 391 122 18 1 37 81 89 74 6 3 43 29 9 .312 .426 .647 1.073 0.0
1995 San Francisco - ML 30 144 506 149 30 7 33 104 109 120 5 4 83 31 10 .294 .431 .577 1.009 0.0
1996 San Francisco - ML 31 158 517 159 27 3 42 129 122 151 1 6 76 40 7 .308 .461 .615 1.076 0.0
1997 San Francisco - ML 32 159 532 155 26 5 40 101 123 145 8 5 87 37 8 .291 .446 .585 1.031 0.0
1998 San Francisco - ML 33 156 552 167 44 7 37 122 120 130 8 6 92 28 12 .303 .438 .609 1.047 0.0
1999 San Francisco - ML 34 102 355 93 20 2 34 83 91 73 3 3 62 15 2 .262 .389 .617 1.006 0.0
2000 San Francisco - ML 35 143 480 147 28 4 49 106 129 117 3 7 77 11 3 .306 .440 .688 1.127 0.0
2001 San Francisco - ML 36 153 476 156 32 2 73 137 129 177 9 2 93 13 3 .328 .515 .863 1.379 0.0
2002 San Francisco - ML 37 143 403 149 31 2 46 110 117 198 9 2 47 9 2 .370 .582 .799 1.381 0.0
2003 San Francisco - ML 38 130 390 133 22 1 45 90 111 148 10 2 58 7 0 .341 .529 .749 1.278 0.0
2004 San Francisco - ML 39 147 373 135 27 3 45 101 129 232 9 3 41 6 1 .362 .609 .812 1.422 0.0
2005 San Francisco - ML 40 14 42 12 1 0 5 10 8 9 0 1 6 0 0 .286 .404 .667 1.071 0.0
2006 San Francisco - ML 41 130 367 99 23 0 26 77 74 115 10 1 51 3 0 .270 .454 .545 .999 0.0
2007 San Francisco - ML 42 126 340 94 14 0 28 66 75 132 3 2 54 5 0 .276 .480 .565 1.045 0.0
2008 Cincinnati - ML 43 147 477 156 26 1 32 87 96 113 4 1 73 4 7 .327 .459 .587 1.046 69.4
2009 Cincinnati - ML 44 79 98 10 0 0 3 17 14 18 1 4 17 0 0 .102 .240 .194 .434 -12.4
2030 Toronto - ML 65 24 28 9 1 0 1 3 8 4 2 0 7 0 0 .321 .441 .464 .905 2.9
Total ML 3236 10450 3110 628 78 798 2103 2345 2693 113 96 1636 518 148 .298 .443 .602 1.045 59.8
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:23 AM   #349
DanGarion
Coordinator

He's still rated a 5/6/8/10/7 at 66!
Old 06-25-2008, 12:24 AM   #350
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

I think it's because you have scouts on and are looking at OSA ratings. You can only see potential stars with your scouts...