Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-24-2003, 05:11 PM   #1
sony
High School JV

Cable Modem - From BestBuy or Cox

I am finally catching up with everyone else as it is the year 2003. Next week, I will ge getting a Cable modem. So here is my situation...

I can buy a Cable Modem from Best Buy for $60 and then pay for hi speed service from Cox for $40 a month.

or

I can buy the Cable Modem from Cox for $75 and then pay for the $40 a month service fee.

I'm just worried about warranties and what not if I buy the modem from Best Buy. I keep telling myself that even though the Cable Modem itself is more expensive from Cox - the warranty will be better and yada yada yada since I bought it from Cox.

Alternatively, I can just rent a Cable modem from Cox.

What would you guys do?

Also, if there are any specific modems you know about that are better than the other, please recommend ... Comments are more than welcomed...

sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 05:13 PM   #2
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

I went through the same thing last month. I was convinced to definitely get it through your cable company (in my case, Adelphia). That way, if anything goes wrong (which sounds it does), you just get an exchange.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 05:20 PM   #3
sony
High School JV

Thanks for the quick response -- Any more opinions?
Old 07-24-2003, 05:21 PM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

I got a cable modem through my cable provider, and it's a piece of shit. (EDIT: Comcast)

I suggest getting a Linksys if you can.

Last edited by sabotai : 07-24-2003 at 05:21 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 05:22 PM   #5
sony
High School JV

What exactly is a 'Linksys' ?
Old 07-24-2003, 05:25 PM   #6
sabotai
General Manager

Linksys is a company that makes caple modems, home network equipment, etc etc. High quality stuff for good prices.

EDIT: What brand is the $60 from Best Buy?

Last edited by sabotai : 07-24-2003 at 05:26 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 05:32 PM   #7
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Linksys is now a Cisco Networks company.

However, to answer the other question, I got the RCA digital cable modem through AT&T@Home and it has worked wonderfully for the last 3-4 years.

--f
Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 05:33 PM   #8
sony
High School JV

I can't remember exactly off the top of my head what brand it was. But I remember there were 2 different brands of cable modem I saw yesterday. Also, the $60 I mentioned was just a rough guess. I can't remember exactly the price -- If I were to do the mail in rebate deal, I'd get $15 off.

I think one was Motorola and the other was Comcast.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:50 PM   #9
Franklinnoble
Banned

The modem Cox sells is pretty solid. Spend the 15 bucks extra and get the piece of mind.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 06:13 PM   #10
JHandley
High School Varsity

I'd get the one from Cox as well if for no other reason than if you ever need tech support from Cox they can't use the excuse that they don't support that modem.
JHandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 07:17 PM   #11
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Be careful when buying your cable modem. Make sure before you buy it that the one you get is supported by your cable company. Some cable companies will only allow you to purchase certain brands.

As for purchase or rent, and from whom.. I purchased my cable modem in 1996, and have long since paid it off. Of course my cable modem is an ancient Motorola by now, but it works and thats all that matters to me... What works for me might not for you and here is why:

When you buy your cable modem from an outside company, I have often seen cable companies point the finger back to your cable modem as your problem any time you call up. And if you bought it from someone else, they often won't touch it for troubleshooting beyond the programming. (unless you find a helpful tech guy). I have managed to avoid this problem since I build IP networks for a living, and eventually explain to my cable provider tech support why they are idiots and get the real guys who can help on the phone. If you are not very proficient as far as IP networking, routing and basic network troubleshooting, this might be a problem for you.

If you buy it from your cable company, they usually will support it better, but if you run into a problem that actually is the cable modem they will usually only replace it if it is within the warranty period. After that, you are on your own. (I found this out because obviously my 7 year old cable modem is well past its warranty period.) This is not always the case, and will vary from cable company to cable company.. but it is something to check on.

If you rent your modem month to month, you usually end up paying way more than its worth over the period of time you have it. (If you figure a cable modem that costs $150 that you pay $20 extra for monthly, in less than a year you have paid enough to buy it.). You can think of the constant overpayment as an extended trouble free warranty, but for those who are older, you might remember when the Bell companies used to "rent" people phones for $9.00 a month.. for 10 years. Ouch....

My personal suggestion would be in most cases that you plan to keep cable modem service for a year or more (you own a house, etc) go ahead and buy it from the cable provider. If you rent in an apartment, then you can weigh the pros and cons of renting from the cable company or buying. Keep in mind if you move, you might move to a different area of service that will not let you use your particular cable modem that you own.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 08:01 PM   #12
CAsterling
High School JV

Got my Cable modem from best buy (no extended warranty) - Checked the Cox web page for supported modems and bought one that they stated they supported.

Zoom modem, no problems so far.
Didn't want the cost of renting one, and don't trust cox to provide a good cable modem, so I got one with good spec after doing research on all the supported Cox cable modems.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:04 PM   #13
wbonnell
College Prospect

AFAIK, with Time Warner there's no difference in the monthly charge($40either way). Therefore, I don't see any reason to buy my own.
wbonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 08:23 PM   #14
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by JHandley
I'd get the one from Cox as well if for no other reason than if you ever need tech support from Cox they can't use the excuse that they don't support that modem.

^^^^
this is the correct answer
Old 07-24-2003, 09:38 PM   #15
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

(from Bash, http://www.bash.org/?627)

AlmtyBob: are both of j00r computers hooked up with cox?
I'm awake! Did somebody say cox?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 10:12 PM   #16
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Wow. Cox forces you to buy or rent a cable modem? That is somewhat of a gyp. Like wbonnell noted, TWC doesn't charge for its modems, although I'm sure you could argue that it is included in the base price of every subscription.

I bought a cable modem before I knew that TWC would provide one, and I can confirm that setup and customer service is a pain in the ass. You have to have it initialized with the cable provider and they don't exactly go out of their way to help you. Plan on being on the phone for a few hours to get it setup.

If you don't have a competiting cable company in your area, I would get Cox on the phone and say that you are leaning toward DSL and see if they'll cut you a deal. In parts of KC, Everest is going head to head with TWC. If you are a TWC customer and you call and mention Everest, they will cut you a deal in a minute. I pay about $120 for my high-speed digital package, but I know people who are in the Everest coverage area who are paying about $40 less for the exact same service. GRRR!!
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 10:51 PM   #17
The_herd
College Starter

Right now Cox is running a promotion that allows you to get the modem for free if you keep an account with them for 3 months. No contract, they will just bill you for the modem if you cancel before the 3 months are up.

I just got my modem and service through them and everything is great, they even came to my house to check my cable line's because I was having trouble getting a signal.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:59 PM   #18
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Everyone I know with cable internet service started with the cable company's modem and ended up going out and buying on their own at a store. They've all said they are much happier without the cable company's modem. Your mileage may vary.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 07:04 AM   #19
Samdari
Roster Filler

Get DSL, most companies provide you with a free modem for signing up for a certain period.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:19 AM   #20
Bee
Pro Starter

I have Cox Cable and bought a modem at Best Buy. At the time Cox didn't sell modems, they only rented them so my choice was much simpler. It sounds like you'd be more comfortable buying it through Cox, so that's what I'd recommend for you. If you have trouble with one from Best Buy, you'll be kicking yourself for trying to save a couple bucks. If you have trouble with the one from Cox, you'll likely tell yourself that you'd just have had as much trouble if you'd have gotten it at Best Buy.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote