Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-29-2017, 04:20 PM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Official 2017 MLB Season Thread

Pitchers and catchers report in two weeks, so probably time to start the new thread.

Royals sign a DH option by picking up Brandon Moss in free agency. Not a huge risk at 2 yr/$12M.

http://m.royals.mlb.com/news/article...year-contract/

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:57 AM   #2
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Pleased that the Royals were able to pick up Jason Hammel to replace Ventura this late in the game. Good pitcher that should be able to fill the middle of the rotation well.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:14 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pirates finally appear to recognize that Cutch is a lousy fielder. Plan is to hide him in Right while Coffee and Marte handle Left and Center respectively. Should be worth a win or two I'd imagine.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #4
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Pirates finally appear to recognize that Cutch is a lousy fielder. Plan is to hide him in Right while Coffee and Marte handle Left and Center respectively. Should be worth a win or two I'd imagine.

He's on the Matt Kemp career path. Hopefully for the Pirates it ends better than what Kemp has become.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #5
Atocep
Coordinator

MLB is proposing getting rid of the 4 pitches to issue and intentional walk and raising the strike zone to above the knees (roughly 2 inch difference).
Old 02-06-2017, 07:43 PM   #6
frnk55
High School Varsity

Are we there yet?
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:48 PM   #7
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
Are we there yet?

One week to go!!!!
Old 02-07-2017, 07:26 AM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
He's on the Matt Kemp career path. Hopefully for the Pirates it ends better than what Kemp has become.

He also doesn't really have the extreme contract that Kemp did. If he can even rebound to 2WAR he's an average value.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:43 AM   #9
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
He also doesn't really have the extreme contract that Kemp did. If he can even rebound to 2WAR he's an average value.

And he's VERY likely to go back up well over that. I don't think the Kemp comparison is very valid here. Kemp had 1.5 seasons of superstar type play. He had a WAR over 5 exactly one season. Cutch has pulled that trick 4 times and missed a fifth with a 4.9.

I think he was hurt for a lot of the year and didn't really start to feel "right" until early August.

Doubt Cutch ever gets back to MVP level play, but there is little doubt in my mind he isn't going down the Kemp career path and will be essentially a filler player for the rest of his career either.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #10
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Good article from Joe Poz.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/215302...in-roundtable/

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 02-07-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:59 PM   #11
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Napoli is back for a third stint with the Rangers.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:39 AM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So Ivanka's brother in law is the illiquid NYC real estate developer who is attempting to buy the Marlins with no actual money for 1.6bn
Old 02-11-2017, 01:57 PM   #13
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

In recent weeks, the Angels have added guys like Ben Revere, Bud Norris, Dustin Ackley, Austin Adams, Yusmeiro Petit, Eric Young Jr., Luis Valbuena, John Lamb, Tony Sanchez, Brook Pounders, Justin Miller and so forth.

This is a lot of AAAA or veteran never-made-it reserve types, and they all suck a lot. But they all fit niches or could find a role with their one or two useable skills.

I was trying to figure out what the Angels were doing adding so much flotsam and jetsam, most of whom, outside of Valbuena and Revere, face uphill battles to make the squad.

And then I recognized it. This is what the Yankees do. They used guys like this to fill holes when injuries popped up. Most of the time those guys suck, but every now and then a gem works out, and helps the team. I'll be curious to see how successful the Angels can be at this sort of thing.

Eppler of course used to work under Cashman with the Yanks.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:45 PM   #14
Ramzavail
College Starter

I like the Valbuena signing and I like the focus on defense. Maybin and Espinosa in particular. Probably have the best D up the middle in the MLB with Perez, Simmons, Espinosa, Trout/Maybin.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:55 PM   #15
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
I like the Valbuena signing and I like the focus on defense. Maybin and Espinosa in particular. Probably have the best D up the middle in the MLB with Perez, Simmons, Espinosa, Trout/Maybin.

Yes, this has been a very clear focus all offseason, and I love it, too.

The Valbuena signing in particular will give them nice depth at three infield positions and a decent power bat for the 1B/DH spot if Pujols' foot surgery takes longer to heal than expected.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #16
Atocep
Coordinator

I think it's safe to say the Reds held onto Phillips a year too long.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #17
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

The Nats will probably be good, likely a playoff team, and they'll come up short in large part due to trading away their SP depth while having a manager who has never shown the ability to manage a pitching staff without ruining a career or two.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:45 PM   #18
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post

It's too bad the Giants haven't had a centerfielder in...A long, long time, or I'd be willing to challenge you on that defense up the middle count.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:28 PM   #19
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think it's safe to say the Reds held onto Phillips a year too long.

Not their fault. He kept blocking everything. Three previous trades.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:31 PM   #20
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Not their fault. He kept blocking everything. Three previous trades.

I had forgotten about that. It's a shame they couldn't get something for him. Paying $13 mil of his $14 mil salary and getting 2 non prospects isn't the return they should have gotten for him. He screwed the organization badly.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:34 PM   #21
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
I had forgotten about that. It's a shame they couldn't get something for him. Paying $13 mil of his $14 mil salary and getting 2 non prospects isn't the return they should have gotten for him. He screwed the organization badly.

Very much so. Their rebuilding is a disaster at this point.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:43 PM   #22
korme
Go Reds

It's not the salary that was killing them, it was Peraza being blocked at 2B. They did addition by subtraction, which is fine.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:07 PM   #23
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
It's not the salary that was killing them, it was Peraza being blocked at 2B. They did addition by subtraction, which is fine.

I hope Herrera plays 2b and Peraza stays a super sub or takes SS if Cozart can be moved.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:09 PM   #24
MrBug708
Head Coach

The Dodgers basically punted on Pereza. Wonder if they'll miss him after ttrading him away and trying to find someone to play second.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:00 PM   #25
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I doubt Peraza is ever an All-Star, but the guy can hit. If he can hit over .300 and have a league average slugging, he's got some value.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:01 PM   #26
MrBug708
Head Coach

Lids has some good deals on MLB apparel.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9766651-lid...ales-clearance
Old 02-14-2017, 02:35 PM   #27
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Looks like the Cardinals have had their annual "lose a key starting pitcher in the spring for the season" injury. It was Lynn last year, Wainwright/Garcia in 2015, Wacha in 14 and now Reyes in 17:

St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Alex Reyes has partial tear of ligament
Old 02-14-2017, 10:43 PM   #28
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I doubt Peraza is ever an All-Star, but the guy can hit. If he can hit over .300 and have a league average slugging, he's got some value.

and he has speed. I like him a ton more than Dilson Herrera.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:40 AM   #29
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

You wouldn't see THIS in a big market! Brian Flynn injures himself working on a barn roof.

http://www.royals.mlb.com/news/artic...barn-accident/

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 02-15-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:25 PM   #30
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
You wouldn't see THIS in a big market! Brian Flynn injures himself working on a barn roof.

http://www.royals.mlb.com/news/artic...barn-accident/

Because on skilled craftsman are on big market teams? The apprentice handyman can only make a living in small markets?
Old 02-16-2017, 05:14 PM   #31
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Apparently Max Scherzer pitched part of last season with a fracture in the bottom of the knuckle of his ring finger on his throwing hand. It didn't get properly diagnosed until December. Today was the first day he tried to throw a baseball and he couldn't throw off a mound. Opening day is now in question for him.

Perfect timing for a team that traded their top two SP prospects for a RF that they're going to play in CF. Eric Fedde, or a scrap heap veteran, will need to be ready pretty soon.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:22 PM   #32
MrBug708
Head Coach

Sounds like you guys could use Scott Kazmir!
Old 02-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #33
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Sounds like you guys could use Scott Kazmir!

Says the fan of a team that always goes into the season saying "Look at our amazing depth and all of our options!" and then still finds itself scrambling to get decent production out of their 4th and 5th starters by June.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-16-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:50 PM   #34
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Says the fan of a team that always goes into the season saying "Look at our amazing depth and all of our options!" and then still finds itself scrambling to get decent production out of their 4th and 5th starters by June.

Still rode it to the postseason baby!
Old 02-16-2017, 09:11 PM   #35
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Still rode it to the postseason baby!

More like rode $270 M to postseason, around $40- $50 M higher than the second highest payroll.

I would hope a team could get to the postseason with that kind of crutch.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:29 PM   #36
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
More like rode $270 M to postseason, around $40- $50 M higher than the second highest payroll.

I would hope a team could get to the postseason with that kind of crutch.

Anything North of 160 million should be able to get you to the playoffs fairly easily.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:11 AM   #37
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Anything North of 160 million should be able to get you to the playoffs fairly easily.

So the Dodgers wasted $110M? Good to know.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:33 AM   #38
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
So the Dodgers wasted $110M? Good to know.

That's somewhere in the range of injured money, yes. I call it an investment.

Such vinegar. Are the Angels planning on joining us this year in the postseason or do they finally trade Trout and just restart?
Old 02-17-2017, 08:55 AM   #39
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's somewhere in the range of injured money, yes. I call it an investment.

Such vinegar. Are the Angels planning on joining us this year in the postseason or do they finally trade Trout and just restart?

No vinegar at all. Dodgers are my second favorite team. I am just a realist, and I laugh when someone says something silly (like, take some of our pitching depth--surely we won't need it this year!).

As for the Angels, hopefully. I have seen a lot of pessimism, but they aren't that far away. Keep in mind, they had about as much injury issues last year as the Dodgers did (and didn't have $270 M to make up for it).

Old 02-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #40
Ramzavail
College Starter

I know the Dodgers waste alot of money.

I actually wanted to google and figure out what Andrew Friedman has actually done in LA other than burn money. He was so well regarded in TB for the acquisitions and moves he made, now I just think they just burn money. I'm curious to find out how much involvement he has done in the development of Seager, Bellinger, DeLeon, etc. or did he fall ass backwards in those prospects.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:53 AM   #41
MrBug708
Head Coach

Which players did Friedman burn money on? McCarthy and?
Old 02-17-2017, 01:07 PM   #42
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Which players did Friedman burn money on? McCarthy and?

This was through July of last year:

Dodgers Dugout: Andrew Friedman gets his report card - LA Times

It looks like McCarthy, a one year Brett Anderson deal and Howie Kendrick are the three signings panned due to money being involved. (all of the other low grades were because of trades)

I think that's a total of 80 million on those three.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:14 PM   #43
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
This was through July of last year:

Dodgers Dugout: Andrew Friedman gets his report card - LA Times

It looks like McCarthy, a one year Brett Anderson deal and Howie Kendrick are the three signings panned due to money being involved. (all of the other low grades were because of trades)

I think that's a total of 80 million on those three.

Anderson and Kendrick were gambles on compensation picks that didn't materialize. I'll give you them though but I didn't have problems with them
Old 02-17-2017, 03:55 PM   #44
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I'm flying to Phoenix on the 1st to stay the weekend and watch the Cubs. Probably should have checked to see their entire Spring Training has sold-out, but I'll make a few scalpers happy I'm sure.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #45
Drake
assmaster

In case anyone has a casual acquaintance with Chris Sale, please let him know that I'm willing to have his baby.

Thanks!
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #46
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:
Anderson and Kendrick were gambles on compensation picks that didn't materialize. I'll give you them though but I didn't have problems with them

I was also thinking about that SS but I just looked it up and he was signed in 2014.

Erisbel Arruebarruena ss
5 years/$25M (2014-18)
Old 03-02-2017, 10:35 AM   #47
Ramzavail
College Starter

ugh looks like David Price, TJ
Old 03-08-2017, 08:53 AM   #48
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Great story about Ned and his relationship with his mother.

Royals’ Ned Yost readies for season without his biggest fan — his mother | The Kansas City Star
Old 03-12-2017, 03:22 PM   #49
PilotMan
Head Coach

No thread about the WBC, so I'll just add that the games have been exciting. That toss from Bautista to keep the Dominican alive and send it to extras against Columbia was stellar. The Netherlands and Japan went to the 11th today, where the extra runners start.

There's already plenty of drama in this first round, it's only going to get more intense as it goes on.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:26 PM   #50
PilotMan
Head Coach

dola

The US really wants the DR to pick up this win or they're going to have to have to win and then beat the DR again in a playoff (most likely scenario) in order to move on.

If the DR gets the W, then the US only needs to dump Canada to move on.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote